PDA

View Full Version : Authentication Code Confusion: Now I'm Gonna Miss the Beta...

TacticalMaster
01-11-2013, 07:21 PM
I just downloaded the client. Unfortunately, I encounter another text box which reads: Authentication Code.

What the heck is an "Authentication Code"? Luckily, there is that "What's This?" link that tells what that supposed to mean. I was sent to the login screen. But when I logged on, it only showed my closed beta account! Now how am I know and find this "Authentication Code?" I tried checking my email if they sent me one, but nothing came up.

But when I left that blank and went into the game anyways when it reached 6 PM, it suddenly allowed me in. Wow. But I then find myself...PATCHING?! Apparently, I now have to wait 4 HOURS for it to be done. But even if that is done, I have already missed the closed beta. Because of this confusion, I just missed the first test an now I have to wait for WEEKS for another one... (Note: Do not complain about internet connection. Fast internet is expensive.)

So here's the topic: Have you encountered the same problem I did? You know, I bet this confusion also left THOUSANDS of other users confused too. And once the server is done before you had the chance to fully patch, you now have to wait for another, many painful weeks. What a bad way to start this closed beta.

Words I searched before making this thread: Authentication

Heimn
01-11-2013, 07:22 PM
You don't need it. Just press play or install (whatever stage you are at)

tordana
01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Did you really think that the 10MB installer was the whole game? You aren't patching, you're downloading the game. You were supposed to do that last night or earlier today.

Krypty
01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
You know, I bet this confusion also left THOUSANDS of other users confused too.

I would hope not, because this seemed fairly basic...

TacticalMaster
01-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Well how was I supposed to know this "Authentication Code?" It says nothing in the email I received. Didn't say that I need the code, or no code at all. I wasn't able to download the patch because of the code.

EMAIL:
2 Run: Go to your START menu and click the “DEFIANCE – Beta” shortcut. Enter your account email address and password and LOGIN.

Jen
01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Exactly. If you don't have an authenticator, don't put it in!

I'm going to assume, in the future if the account has an authenticator TIED to that account, then it won't let you login UNLESS you use your authenticator to generate a code. Many other games are using this for account safety (it's very useful!).

I had to uninstall and repatch right at the servers were opening, took 20 minutes. Don't see me crying. It's a stress test, most people cannot even get in. Sky is not falling.

Alpha Tango 80
01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Well how was I supposed to know this "Authentication Code?" It says nothing in the email I received. Didn't say that I need the code, or no code at all. I wasn't able to download the patch because of the code.

EMAIL:
2 Run: Go to your START menu and click the “DEFIANCE – Beta” shortcut. Enter your account email address and password and LOGIN.

Try following the directions you just posted.

SkyRobo1
01-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Clarification this isn't a beta, it's a stress test. The Beta starts on the 18th.

Also the Authentication code is only going to apply once you get the game - it will have the Auth code there for you to put and activate the game.

electprogeny
01-11-2013, 07:53 PM
So here's the topic: Have you encountered the same problem I did?

Yep. I was also confused... but, as it isn't my first rodeo, I just went ahead and logged in to see what would happen and was then able to update the game. Not that it matters, I can't get past the splash screens to even create a character.