PDA

View Full Version : Oh FFS can you just add a Global chat option already!?!

Remag Div
05-28-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't even care anymore about fixing it, just add the option to have a global chat. It can't be THAT hard to hotfix this in, can it? If you don't want chat spam make it so you need to be on that tab to see it so others can stay in area, team, clan etc. and not have to see it.

I know a lot of people sometimes just log into games to chat.

MagellanD
05-28-2013, 08:06 AM
WTF is wrong with people.

I never understood this. WoW is a $15 a month chat room. Most other MMOs become that.
Isn't there still mIRC or some other form of chatting people can participate in?

Play the game.

Sheesh!

Finish the Fight
05-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Yea, no thanks.

Elric1
05-28-2013, 08:13 AM

I never understood this. WoW is a $15 a month chat room. Most other MMOs become that.
Isn't there still mIRC or some other form of chatting people can participate in?

Play the game.

Sheesh!

A lot of people enjoy company when they play. Even solo.

Thr0nes
05-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Copy/paste source for Rift's Chat System.... please

QuikFoX3a
05-28-2013, 08:43 AM

Play the game.

Sheesh!

Pretty sure WoW and mIRC are not on Playstation 3 or XBox 360 which Defiance is also played on. Windows/Mac users have far more options when dealing with broken in-game chat systems, Console users no so much.

A Gobal Chat channel (General) is fairly "normal" in MMOs outside of Voice Chat, I don't really understand why Defiance doesn't use one. Although if it did, I'm sure no one would use it anyway as chat is far to broken anyhow.

Omnifarious Xji
05-28-2013, 08:47 AM
A global chat wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

angryglock
05-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Chat fosters community, grouping, trading. It's good for MMOs. Without it this game feels like a solo game and once the main/side quests are done on a solo game people normally move on. It's hard enough to keep players interested without end game content.

ironhands
Pretty sure WoW and mIRC are not on Playstation 3 or XBox 360 which Defiance is also played on. Windows/Mac users have far more options when dealing with broken in-game chat systems, Console users no so much.

A Gobal Chat channel (General) is fairly "normal" in MMOs outside of Voice Chat, I don't really understand why Defiance doesn't use one. Although if it did, I'm sure no one would use it anyway as chat is far to broken anyhow.

Because consoles. Defiance is twitch based, and very hands-on/reactive. It doesn't expect most users to have a keyboard at the ready, and expects you'll just have the controller in your hands at all times.

ironhands
A global chat wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

me neither, if I could unsubscribe to it :P

Deimos
05-28-2013, 08:50 AM
For me the silence disturbs me, even if I don't always interact I still like the knowledge there's people to speak to and the game is a live.

lildevil13
05-28-2013, 08:54 AM
why do people want chat in a solo game ?

Dooks
05-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Being able to ask a question and actually get a response ingame would be nice. Chat system sucks, probably because they weren't expecting the social mmo crowd in a TPS, but a lot are here so this should be addressed

Remag Div
05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
It's just annoying because they've been saying since launch that they will fix the chat and they're working on it and it's now been 2 major patches in and all they've managed to do was add "ENTER to type" and make it so it doesn't disappear as fast.

Either this is the worst coded game ever or Trion has some lazy *** Devs

Zuul
05-28-2013, 09:43 AM
I've been asking for something like this since the last open beta weekend. Initially I assumed it to be a bug, esp with promises of improving the chat. But eventually realized it was intended, and the improvements they were talking about were making text not disappear as quick. Flabbergasted!

And because of this, I've stopped playing. I *like* the game, I really do... but I went into this thinking I was purchasing an MMO. As it stands, the lack of a proper chat system makes this feel like a single player game; the *only* time it even feels like an MMO is during arkfalls. Outside of Co-Op missions, I can't put a group together to do side missions (or even the main mission). I can't organize fun racing contests with fellow players. I can't simply chat and be social IN AN MMO (wtf). It sucks.

Deimos
05-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Can you press something to reply also, or do you have to type the name out, I tried to respond to people the other day and kept having to type /t ****** out.

Zuul
05-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Play the game.

Sheesh!

I'm not sure if you're being serious, or if you're spewing typical fanboy BS. In every post that asks for a normal chat system, we get statements like this. Stuff like "You're supposed to focus on the game, not chat with people"; "Missions don't need groups to be completed, just do them solo"; "Chat will make the game extremely laggy". If this is all true, why include any chat system at all? Why allow grouping? It's a fail move on Trion's part to not include a staple feature of EVERY MMO.

IMO, as long as they let players leave/mute the channel, I see no reason why they wouldn't introduce this.

Warlander
05-28-2013, 09:59 AM
it needs a global chat badly not having one is killing the game.

ironhands
05-28-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure if you're being serious, or if you're spewing typical fanboy BS. In every post that asks for a normal chat system, we get statements like this. Stuff like "You're supposed to focus on the game, not chat with people"; "Missions don't need groups to be completed, just do them solo"; "Chat will make the game extremely laggy". If this is all true, why include any chat system at all? Why allow grouping? It's a fail move on Trion's part to not include a staple feature of EVERY MMO.

IMO, as long as they let players leave/mute the channel, I see no reason why they wouldn't introduce this.

Adding global chat would increase latency, for certain, depending on what channels are joined, and that's real issue - how many people would be in global chat at once? Would it be everyone on each server at once? That would be too chaotic to really follow. Limit it to 200? Would it be useful? One of the main reasons chat is so common in other MMOs, is that they're PC based, and assume that every PC player is using a keyboard. Secondly, every other MMO requires a lot less latency than Defiance does - packets are incredibly time sensitive in comparison, so any packets that are low priority, like chat, would likely be avoided. It's only included, for local chat, in order to deal with "urgent" things for people without a mic, not really for hanging around passing the time. It was likely designed this way since the vast majority of the players of this game don't have a keyboard hooked up at all. Could it be added, sure, why not, but it's not really a priority.

Hope499
05-28-2013, 10:09 AM
So the guy wants a chat? Leave him alone sheesh...

I would like one too! even if I don't use it, it would be funny/interesting to see what people post, or for trades even. Just to add a more community feel to it.

To those of you complaining about him and saying who cares...

Go play a SP if you don't want to talk to anyone...Bioshock is a great game and you can be ALL ALONE!!!

shadowkin
05-28-2013, 10:25 AM
I actually like how there is only area chat bc i really gives u that desolate apocalyptic feel where where you are is where you are, u know?
i guess fast travel kinda takes away the immersion anyway but still

I just wish people actually read the chat lol

Remag Div
05-28-2013, 07:06 PM
LOL @ this...

I just noticed they also updated the look of the full size chat option:

http://i43.tinypic.com/311qd0y.jpg

Is Trion just trolling us right now? FFS that's all we need as the MAIN one... just give us the option to resize that, adjust text size, and add a global chat option and congrats, you fixed chat...

Iceberg
05-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Hey, at least they fixed the Map by adding names and regions, so they are sorta fixing things. We might have to wait another year before they fix chat, but once that happens this game will be free to download probably.

Arsenic_Touch
05-28-2013, 09:15 PM
The chat has been complained about since the alpha. It's obvious that they're just stringing us a long at this point.

What makes it worse is that Trion knows how to do a working chat system, they did it fine with Rift. Why they went in the complete opposite direction and pretty much just banged their head on a keyboard to create what we got is just appalling.

LOL @ this...

I just noticed they also updated the look of the full size chat option:

http://i43.tinypic.com/311qd0y.jpg

Is Trion just trolling us right now? FFS that's all we need as the MAIN one... just give us the option to resize that, adjust text size, and add a global chat option and congrats, you fixed chat...

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?75359-I-can-t-help-but-feel-like-we-re-being-trolled-here....

Asked that question the other day. It feels like we're being trolled.

NightfallRob
05-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Copy/paste source for Rift's Chat System.... please

This. For those of you who don't like it, stop playing MMOs. These games are meant to be social.

CptBadger
05-29-2013, 12:01 AM
it needs a global chat badly not having one is killing the game.

^^This pretty much.