PDA

View Full Version : Making Chili

Jen
01-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Mmmm mmm chili. So far I've put Tomato Sauce, tomato paste, chopped up sirloin, dark red kidney beans, black beans, chopped up onion, chopped up garlic. And a bunch of spices. With a dash of Balsamic Vinegar and a hint of Siracha for taste :)

Anything I'm missing? How do you make your chili? :)

Oh shoot! I forgot to cut up tomatoes!

(Doing this while I wait for my client to fix itself :<)

GMcGroarty
01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Cumin for smoky flavour
molasses for colour

HooDoo
01-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Sounds good! Just make sure you have a good supply of crackers, Fritos, and shredded cheese to go with it!!:D

Voodeux
01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
While this is a bit late, if you can get ahold of venison its flavor goes very will with the strong spices of chili.

Myth
01-15-2013, 11:19 PM
I like to spice it up by first cooking the beef in a slow cooker with jalapeno pepper slices and about a half a cup of juice from the jar - shred the beef and use the cooked down pepper slices, juice and meat drippings as base for the chilli.

lPATT
01-16-2013, 12:43 AM
WHY would you make a topic about food now i am so hungry =(

MuKi1115
01-16-2013, 01:34 AM
I usually like to add some minced beef to my chilly as I just love the texture difference between the filet pieces and the minced beef and it makes the whole thing "meatyer" which always is a good thing...

Cavadus
01-16-2013, 11:53 AM
I was making some MacGuyver chili a few years ago and the only meat available was a couple of minute steaks.

Figured what the hell, I'll go for it.

I cut'em up and threw'em in raw like you would with chicken tikka masala and was absolutely shocked at how awesome the flavor and texture was. Couldn't believe I was eating cube steak.

I've been using it instead of a flank steak ever since.

TheStigsVegCousin
02-10-2013, 06:46 AM
- Saute a diced onion, a diced red bell pepper, 3 diced serrano peppers and 4 cloves of minced garlic until soft.

- Add a diced zucchini, an ear's worth of fresh corn kernels and 2 pkgs. of baby bella mushrooms and cook for another 10 minutes.

- Add a couple tbsp. of chili powder, a tbsp. of cumin and a few pinches of salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and coriander and cook for another minute.

- Add a big can of chopped tomatoes from the Italian deli (No added citric acid. Too bitter.), a can of tomato sauce, a couple cans of assorted beans (drained & rinsed) and 8 oz. of beer. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for a half-hour.

- Attack with your face.

Red Mephisto
12-04-2013, 04:19 PM
- Saute a diced onion, a diced red bell pepper, 3 diced serrano peppers and 4 cloves of minced garlic until soft.

- Add a diced zucchini, an ear's worth of fresh corn kernels and 2 pkgs. of baby bella mushrooms and cook for another 10 minutes.

- Add a couple tbsp. of chili powder, a tbsp. of cumin and a few pinches of salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and coriander and cook for another minute.

- Add a big can of chopped tomatoes from the Italian deli (No added citric acid. Too bitter.), a can of tomato sauce, a couple cans of assorted beans (drained & rinsed) and 8 oz. of beer. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for a half-hour.

- Attack with your face.

Mmmmmmmmmm great recipe!

cypheon
12-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Mmmm mmm chili. So far I've put Tomato Sauce, tomato paste, chopped up sirloin, dark red kidney beans, black beans, chopped up onion, chopped up garlic. And a bunch of spices. With a dash of Balsamic Vinegar and a hint of Siracha for taste :)

Anything I'm missing? How do you make your chili? :)

Oh shoot! I forgot to cut up tomatoes!

(Doing this while I wait for my client to fix itself :<)

no cayenne? :(