PDA

View Full Version : There really does seem to be two different Trions...

MacDeath
05-29-2013, 09:34 AM
The Rift team is so different from the Defiance team. And before someone says, 'Yeah, but the Rift team can afford to provide good support. They have a monthly sub.'. Nah, that isn't it. Rift is making the monthly sub optional in a couple of weeks. In fact, they surveyed the vets to get our reaction to the coming changes.

""reetings, Ascended!

The RIFT team greatly values your feedback, and we'd like to ask for a few minutes of your time to complete a very brief survey.

We'd like to get your reaction to our recent announcement that we'll be going Free to Play effective June 12th, along with what you think about our new subscriber options.

Click the link below to take the survey.

Start Survey

Thanks again!

-RIFT Team"

Can it be that Trion thinks that the way one should support an MMORPG is completely different than how one should support a shooter? Well, what if the shooter has MMO elements?

Warlander
05-29-2013, 09:40 AM
people have been saying this since day one, its like they lost a bet and took all there interns and put em to work unsupervised on defiance.

ironhands
05-29-2013, 09:42 AM
it is a completely different team, always has been

DejaVooDoo
05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Different studios. apparently one is totally incompetent and dysfunctional.

Warlander
05-29-2013, 09:44 AM

and they dont seem qualified to make a game, let alone provide adequate service to one that is now live.

Merrin Nightbringer
05-29-2013, 09:45 AM
I agree, MacDeath. I stopped refering to "Trion" when speaking about Defiance, and instead have begun saying "The Defiance Team" or "Defiance Devs" because what we get here, is honestly, not what I expected from Trion after 13 months in Rift.

Two completely different schools of thought, it feels like- along with one team being superior in programming skills and community interaction, it would seem.

Very disappointing. I don't know about anyone else, but Defiance has given me a serious moment of pause before I consider investing in Archeage when it comes stateside.

baelrusk
05-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Exactly. It might make it easier for people to understand by "different team/studios is almost the same as different companies".

That's why I don't understand why people keep trying to compare them as if they were the same.

Merrin Nightbringer
05-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Exactly. It might make it easier for people to understand by "different team/studios is almost the same as different companies".

That's why I don't understand why people keep trying to compare them as if they were the same.

We compare them because they operate off the same corporate philosophy as delivering a game as a service, etc. but show none of the amazing service, support- and frankly, ingenuity- the Rift team has shown since release.

This game is a pale shadow of what it could be, and a far cry of what many of us expected from a Trion release.

Tango80
05-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Its more akin to comparing oranges to apples.

Defiance is an orange, Rift is an apple. The dev's are probably used to creating apples but when the higher up dropped them Defiance and said code for an Orange they were like WTF is an orange?

Just my thoughs.

baelrusk
05-29-2013, 09:51 AM
We compare them because they operate off the same corporate philosophy as delivering a game as a service, etc. but show none of the amazing service, support- and frankly, ingenuity- the Rift team has shown since release.

This game is a pale shadow of what it could be, and a far cry of what many of us expected from a Trion release.

That's exactly why I don't see the point in comparing them any longer.
Completely different people.......just one was living off the others history.

DejaVooDoo
05-29-2013, 09:51 AM

Unfortunately, they don't put anything on the box to differentiate the studios. Defiance is just a product of Trion Worlds. So it's going to take a little due diligence/research to avoid Trion San Diego in the future.

Daemonfly
05-29-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't know, put a ticket in on Saturday for Rift (raptr 30day sub didn't take), and all I got was an email saying I should get a response in 24 hours. It's now Wednesday :p

Sitting in live chat now for over 30 min queue.

MacDeath
05-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Well, they have the same upper management and, one would think, a shared mission statement company wide. The community team is shared across games, I'm pretty sure Customer Service is shared across games too.

Way back when I worked at IBM, over several years, I worked in three different divisions and for two different labs. We had a common business approach there and that's when there were over 400,000 of us around the world. Trion is quite small compared to that and SHOULD find it easy to have consistent business practices.

squidgod2000
05-29-2013, 10:16 AM
I agree, MacDeath. I stopped refering to "Trion" when speaking about Defiance, and instead have begun saying "The Defiance Team" or "Defiance Devs" because what we get here, is honestly, not what I expected from Trion after 13 months in Rift.

Same--I've started referring to them as Trion's Defiance team. They're just worlds apart when it comes to management, community interaction, respect for the players and, frankly, competence. The Defiance team put out a pretty average game, and in doing so, tarnished the Trion name, unfortunately. They could make up for it going forward, but the last few patches (and the resulting bugs) aren't exactly encouraging.