PDA

View Full Version : Is Warframe everything Defiance tried to be?

WhiteCell
05-29-2013, 06:36 PM
You guys like 3rd person shooters? Multiplayer 3rd person shooters? With loot, mods, and weapons? Well hear me out...

It's no surprise that I was incredibly disappointed with Defiance, but I'm not the only one. Recently I came upon a game called Warframe which seems to be literally everything Defiance wished it was. Let me explain....

The game is a 3rd person shooter MMO. It's entirely free to play. There are actually classes and difference between player warframe choices which makes them unique. Think of the 4 powers afforded to every player in Defiance, but now make those 4 powers only available to a specific outfit and every different outfit has 4 different powers. Sounds good? Well there is more....

Granted the game isn't "open world", however, an individual mission is far larger than any cooperative instance found in Defiance. The entire game consist of these missions which span the entire solar system and you can drop in and out of missions with other players any time you want seamlessly! Missions are more varied than Defiance's as well. Want clan support? Warframe has it. Want to craft weapons or even new warframes? Warframe has that.

Now lets talk loot. Warframe has the same mod concept for all gear ranging from guns, warframes, to melee weapons. The whole mod system is just far more complex and involved than anything found in Defiance. Mods matter too. It's as simple as when you rank a weapon up that level denotes the amount of mod points you can allocate into it. You aren't limited to simply 4 separate mods based upon restrictions such as magazine and barrels. Instead depending on the mod rarity it has a base number associated with it. Did I mention that you can even level up specific mods to make them even better? Well you can do that...

Now let's go focus on what makes Defiance "unique" the Arkfalls(rifts). Guess what the non open world game of Warframe has to compare? Events. These are random and pop up on your solar system display, but instead of stopping weapon advancement like in Defiance in Warframe you'll get increased experience while also being the only places where specific loot drop. In Defiance nothing makes Arkfalls unique or rewarding especially when you stop increasing weapon advancement.

Finally one of Defiance's worst implementations is that of movement. You run awkwardly and jump awkwardly. That's it. In Warframe movement is far more refined allowing for sliding while firing ala Jon Woo style. You can also literally run along walls, do flips, and depending on your melee weapon and warframe suit other special movements. Why is defiance so lacking in movement being a 3rd person shooter? Players can see their model at all times so why limit it so much to boring and bland run and goofy jumping. This also means in Warframe player models will interact with the environment such as grabbing ledges to climb up them.

I've come to the conclusion that Warframe a free to play game that recently entered open beta is more Defiance than Defiance. You can go down the list of features and see it for yourself. Not only that but it actually uses PC features such as VOIP, proper chat(including a global chat), Directx11, and even 64 bit executable. Why is Warframe doing everything Defiance claimed it would do and for completely free?

If you think my claims are absurd I fully suggest you actually try Warframe and see for yourself.

If anything Trion's Defiance team must at least check out the game to see how to actually make a fun and rewarding 3rd person shooter. Emulating just about everything in Warframe would only help Defiance immensely. It's just that much of a more superior 3rd person shooter MMO.

https://warframe.com/

TLDR: Check out Warframe. It does just about everything better as an 3rd person shooter MMO better than Defiance. Why the hell did Trion fail to deliver anything superior in Defiance?

TLDR2: *Wall of text crits you into more enjoyable game*

Shada Mori
05-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Warframe is grindy, even less difficult, the crafting is ******ed and everything in it is horridly bland. Plus the avatars are hideous. No. Its everything Defiance didn't want to be.

A s0t
05-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Too Human???

WhiteCell
05-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Warframe is grindy, even less difficult, the crafting is ******ed and everything in it is horridly bland. Plus the avatars are hideous. No. Its everything Defiance didn't want to be.

Defiance isn't grindy?

Warframe is far more difficult than anything in Defiance.

Warframe is so bland is has more environments, unique baddies, and enemies than found in Defiance. Not to mention gear, powers, and more player customization.

Why are you lying?

Too Human???

Never played it, but then again few did. Didn't hear much good about it.

Shada Mori
05-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Defiance isn't grindy?

Warframe is so bland is has more environments, unique baddies, and enemies than found in Defiance. Not to mention gear, powers, and more player customization.

Why are you lying?

Why are you? The enemies are just re-skins of one another, and the environments are just copy pasted past the first couple systems.. the missions are actually SMALLER then anything in Defiance, just more spread out by long narrow tunnels, and there are actually less weapons, not more. The customization of weapons is a bit better, I will grant you.. of course it will take you WEEKS to craft a weapon actually worth modifying and that's assuming you get lucky with the grind for the components.

The only place I give warframe credit is the mobility of the avatars. Wall running is fun but then again it fits a 'space ninja' game. That's about it honestly.

RagingBombast
05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Too Human???
How dare you utter the most vile of games in this forums.

How dare you, sir!

Omnifarious Xji
05-29-2013, 06:48 PM
So what you're trying to tell me, is that these guys made a FREE game, that is better than a game that costs millions to make? Hmm, I'll have to check it out.

WhiteCell
05-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Why are you? The enemies are just reskins of one another, and the enviroments are just copy pasted past the first couple systems.. the missions are actually SMALLER then anything in Defiance, just more spread out by long narrow tunnels, and there are actually less weapons, not more. The customization of weapons is a bit better, I will grant you.. of course it will take you WEEKS to craft a weapon actually worth modifying and thats assuming you get lucky with the grind for the components.

You play Defiance and still complain about grind.

Moving on....

The variety of enemies in Warframe far exceed that of Defiance. Please list specific what in Defiance is longer any any single mission in Warframe. You can't. The longest mission in defiance consists of a cooperative instance where it's split in half by an obnoxious drive over some ramps. Except that is what 5 or so entire cooperative missions in defiance? The rest of the game being "go here to collect 10 bad guy's mt. dew".

Sorry, but you either never played Warframe or are simply delusional attempting to portray anything done in Defiance as superior to that of Warframe in the exact same game genre.

So what you're trying to tell me, is that these guys made a FREE game, that is better than a game that costs millions to make? Hmm, I'll have to check it out.

Yes. I'm surprised I didn't hear about it earlier. It's real similar to the design of Defiance, but delivers far more on it than Defiance did. It's made by the same developer that did Unreal Tournament 2004.

IGears
05-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Defiance isn't grindy?

Why are you lying?

Never played it, but then again few did. Didn't hear much good about it.

Warframe was only good, in my opinion, because of the co-op and combat. the Armory and character edits were often confusing and took me a while to figure it out. I even watch a Tutorial video and was further confused.

it did get hard if you really didn't grind levels before you got to a certain point (a little bit in Venus, and dramatically in Earth)

But Warframe is Pay to Win just by judging the store it has.

and Too Human was terrible and what made it worst is that Silicon Knights stole the Unreal Engine, made a few changes and called it their own Engine.

A s0t
05-29-2013, 06:53 PM
How dare you utter the most vile of games in this forums.

How dare you, sir!the first 2 times was ok but the rest of the play throughs for the 7500 items kinda sucked

WhiteCell
05-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Warframe was only good, in my opinion, because of the co-op and combat. the Armory and character edits were often confusing, and too me a while to figure it out. I even watch a Tutorial video and was further confused.

it did get hard if you really didn't grind levels before you go to a certain point (a little bit in Venus, and dramatically in Earth)

But Warframe is Pay to Win just by judging the store it has.

and Too Human was terrible and what made it worst is that Silicon Knights stole the Unreal Engine, made a few changes and called it their own Engine.

The entire mod system was recently changed. It much better now. The tutorial is pretty bad, I agree.

It's pay to convenience. That's the idea behind free to play games. You can get all of the stuff in-game, but you're going to have to work for it or you could just buy it. Defiance is the same way except the rewards aren't really rewards because their effects are marginal at best and everything is gamble. There is gambles in Warframe however even then there are guaranteed higher tier value items. It's not like in Defiance where you buy a lock box and literally get nothing of value.

Shada Mori
05-29-2013, 06:56 PM
You play Defiance and still complain about grind. .

Funny don't recall ever saying Defiance isn't grindy. it absolutely is.. but nothing compared to Warframe. Anyways, feel free to keep up the praise for Warframe, if you like it, play it. But I did play it for a couple months. It is a horrid, bland, pay to win grind fest.

Umbra Warrior
05-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Can I play it on my 360? No? Then:

http://i.imgur.com/I268V.gif

Jester
05-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!