PDA

View Full Version : Chat matters... If you build it, we will use it

MacDeath
05-31-2013, 04:48 AM
I just took a break from Rift to grab some lunch. I ate at my PC and came here to check on the forums while eating. I RARELY go to the Rift forums but I'm on Defiance forums a lot... I Think I know why...

I'm an MMO hobbyist. I like to play MMOs and to learn about what's happening in my current games and some upcoming games. When I was just in Rift, I was leveling up my fishing skill. That's a pretty calm skill and it doesn't take much attention, so I was chatting in the global level 50 - 59 chat. That's where I keep up with what's happening in game. In Defiance if I wan't to know what's happening... I log out and hit up these forums.

In a couple weeks, Rift goes Free to play. I think I'll hang out in the newbie zone and answer newb questions in lowbie chat. Defiance chat doesn't provide for these kinds of things. I do get that most shooter games don't provide many Social options, but Defiance isn't just like every other shooter out there, it has an MMO aspect to it. Please flesh out the Social options. We will use them.

Thanks for listening, now back to Rift where the fish are biting.

Troy
05-31-2013, 05:04 AM
+10000000, I 100% agree, community is build around discussion.

Leslannatrix
05-31-2013, 05:09 AM
yep, I totally agree with that statement. I've always felt the chat to be lacking.

as a matter of fact, it is also one of the reason I didn't do much coop instances yet, (few people take the time to explain what to do in chat) If the chat was more functional then I'd definitely give it a shot.

Schwa
05-31-2013, 05:11 AM
Considering how the trait bug still isn't fixed, I very much look forward to seeing how long it takes for them to deliver their promised chat enhancements.

Iceberg
05-31-2013, 05:55 AM
Wasn't there a guy on here who already made a better chat UI for the devs to use? Not sure but I think his name was kane.

Remag Div
05-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Wasn't there a guy on here who already made a better chat UI for the devs to use? Not sure but I think his name was kane.

The funny thing is Trion themselves already made a better chat UI, but they amazingly decide to use it for the static full chat window instead of the main one. LOL

RAYNE Mois
05-31-2013, 07:47 AM
You guys must be PC users..
I personally understand why chat isn't a top priority, ever try to chat with an Xbox or PS3 controller? It's not fun, so regardless of what they do to chat 2/3 of their prospective players will not be using it regularly.

MacDeath
05-31-2013, 08:09 AM
I personally understand why chat isn't a top priority, ever try to chat with an Xbox or PS3 controller? It's not fun, so regardless of what they do to chat 2/3 of their prospective players will not be using it regularly.
2/3 of the supported platforms... It could be more like 90% of the players. I believe there are a lot more console players out there that will give this game a try than there are PC players.

drackiller
05-31-2013, 08:10 AM

You just need to conect a keyboard to the console, at least in the PS3 works like a charm.

Escyos
05-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Proper chat is as useful as high graphics - It does NOT make a game good, story makes a game good and Defiance is VERY good.

Blackwolfe
05-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Proper chat is as useful as high graphics - It does NOT make a game good, story makes a game good and Defiance is VERY good.

It's an mmo. In mmo's the social side matters. The community side matters. And as such, a better chat system matters. A better chat system would help everyone (at least on the PC side).

Miserere
05-31-2013, 08:33 AM
A better chat would help those of us who are RP players. We like to RP in the game when we start killing things but the clunky system kills the RP feeling. Not saying cater to the RPers by no means, we can wait our turn, but would it would be nice for a little hug.

Can we get some better emotes as well?

Bordaf
05-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Agreed, how could you mess up something so simple as a chat system. Make it easier to use pls, just make it so we dont have to go into 2 menu just to start typing, and give us a better chat log, ty.

MacDeath
05-31-2013, 08:42 AM
If it's true that a more robust chat system would be wasted on most console players, that shouldn't be an issue. The various platforms are on dedicated servers (we haven't had cross platform play since Alpha days). So, how about supporting the minimalist chat system on consoles and a more robust chat system as an option on PCs? Since the minimalist chat system already exists for PCs, continue to offer that as an option. SETTINGS: CHAT: FULL | MINIMUM.

Miserere
05-31-2013, 08:54 AM
I took DCUO months before finally listening to their community and installing a working UI/Chat. But by the time they did, they lost a huge chunk of their players. :(

Dyoda
05-31-2013, 09:20 AM

You are probably right, because I also do not see why they would work on this anytime soon. Maybe not at all. But communicating with an entire lot of people playing the same game you are at any given time, I argue, is fun.

Think about this. What did microphone's do for all team-based gameplay like COD: MW. Also, Final Fantasy 11 was available for the PS2. Many people used a keyboard, back then, so they could communicate with each other as easy as people on the PC did.

Now, this game is reaches many different types of players and puts them all in one server, just like every other MMO. With the right chat UI, even in xbox or PS, and the right type of accessory advertisement with the game (special addition, or expansion comes with nifty keypad attachment?) all of these players WILL communicate. If some don't at first, I am positive they will follow after they see how fun it actually is to communicate from the people that will invest and use improved chat UI and nifty keypad. Or maybe when they don't have to log into a forum just to ask a freakin question.

Like OP said, if you build it, they will come.