PDA

View Full Version : Do these forums

fmarin83
05-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Have the option to turn on a like/dislike option like comments from other websites? I read the forums daily and would rather like/dislike some of the posts than reply to every single post i have an opinion on. Sometimes the person before me hit the topic right on the head or i disagree. Just a thought out there that isn't about fixing the game.

Xanirus
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
I would rather not have these forums turn into another Youtube community. Oh wait......

The last thing we need is fanboys blindly up-voting, or haters blindly down-voting because they're still stubborn and a post never gets read. This will give people too much incentive to just vote and never explain in words why they feel the way they feel.

Omnifarious Xji
05-31-2013, 11:18 AM
I would rather not have these forums turn into another Youtube community. Oh wait......

The last thing we need is fanboys blindly up-voting, or haters blindly down-voting because they're still stubborn and a post never gets read. This will give people too much incentive to just vote and never explain in words why they feel the way they feel.Ding ding ding.

fmarin83
05-31-2013, 12:17 PM

The last thing we need is fanboys blindly up-voting, or haters blindly down-voting because they're still stubborn and a post never gets read. This will give people too much incentive to just vote and never explain in words why they feel the way they feel.

You took my words outta context and turned them into your own grief. I never said, nor do i want for a up or down vote. Just like button because you cant even +1 on these forums. It says not enough characters.

Anderson
05-31-2013, 12:21 PM
There's another forum I use where you can give a comment a thumbs-up but there is no thumbs down. It doesn't move popular posts up the page or anything, it just keeps a tally of the thumbs-up a post receives on the post.

It's pretty awesome honestly, it definitely cuts down on the need for "This" or "QFT" posts. It's also cool to know just how well your witty one-liners go over.

Odessa
05-31-2013, 12:26 PM
It's a mixed bag. Sometimes I want to say something simple but feel as if "I totally agree" isn't really discussion worthy. Then again the forum is all about bringing it to discussion. I see a lot of people who seem to know each other well, which means the idea could end up being a popularity contest of sorts. I'm going to lean towards posts over buttons, simply because with a post you can elaborate why you agree or disagree.

Kroesis
05-31-2013, 12:27 PM
It's pretty awesome honestly, it definitely cuts down on the need for "This" or "QFT" posts. It's also cool to know just how well your witty one-liners go over.

This
/10char

fmarin83
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
It's a mixed bag. Sometimes I want to say something simple but feel as if "I totally agree" isn't really discussion worthy. Then again the forum is all about bringing it to discussion. I see a lot of people who seem to know each other well, which means the idea could end up being a popularity contest of sorts. I'm going to lean towards posts over buttons, simply because with a post you can elaborate why you agree or disagree.

There are probably twice as many people on a forum that just view and never post.

Odessa
05-31-2013, 12:32 PM
There are probably twice as many people on a forum that just view and never post.

I agree. I go over to the Off Topic forum, but it's pretty tight over there. It's fun to see the silliness, but I'm not one to jump in as if I'm Norm. The rest of the forum can be so negative at times. It's a shame. I loved it when I first got here. General game discussion while waiting for the server to be back up. Now it's a read, cringe, move on sort of thing.

Anderson
05-31-2013, 12:32 PM

It can turn into a popularity contest, but it doesn't really matter that much since the thumbs don't count towards anything beyond being able to say "look at all the thumbs my post got. I rock!"

Xanirus
05-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Have the option to turn on a like/dislike option like comments from other websites?

You just said you want just a like button. Your previous post seems to say otherwise. Does this not entail having both an option for a up vote or down vote?

Having an option to up vote or down vote is useless if it's not made in public to see. Having the option to begin with, as I said before, negates most of the reason to discuss the topic at hand and will generally lead to a behavior of a lot people talking with their votes, instead of their mouths. Just because a post with too many negative votes doens't get blocked off from view, that doesn't mean people will look at it either. Does it deserve it? Probably, the votes might prove it. But everyone should be given the chance to shed some light on the opposite side of the matter.