PDA

View Full Version : Test Server - A question to you all.

Iceberg
05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
If Trion did bring online a public test server for the testing of new patches before they hit the live servers, how many of you would consider putting your character on that server and help test? With the release of the 1.020 patch and subsequent finding of the dupe bug that brought the servers down for almost a full day, we could possibly avoid such things in the future.

At this point, how many are still dedicated and passionate for this game/company to help them out, which in turns help us all out? This is purely hypothetical of course, but if the Devs see an interest in it maybe they will consider doing something like this.

Please post reasons why you are for it, or why you are against it. :)

Saravind
05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
if they were serious about it i would likely play there more so than the real server just to get somethings found and squished

Bentu
05-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Im a sort of helpful kind of chap and this would be the nearest thing I could do to help out with the game development so I would be up for helping out.

MacDeath
05-31-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm there in a heart beat! I was an Alpha tester here AND on Rift. I'm still on Rift's PTS.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?64068-The-Thread-I-mos-want-to-see...-Welcome-to-the-Defiance-Public-Test-Shard!

Re1gn
05-31-2013, 11:33 AM
I would definitely copy a character over and try to help as much as I could. My reason for saying that is as follows, I don't have a lot of playtime (work, wife, kids, etc.) so if I spent some of that precious time on a test server it could lead to less downtime during my non-test server gaming.

Aside from that even with all the problems thus far I enjoy the game, and if I could help make it better in any way I am all for that as well. And who wouldn't want to play all the shiny new content a little earlier than scheduled in hopes of a smooth transition of said content into the full game.

I really can't see any downside to the practice and I hope that it will be something we have the chance to use in the future. Trion has always been adamant that they are listening to us, it might be time to do more than just listen to us about the issues that arise post-patch and give us a way to actually affect what makes it to that stage.

DeadCynic
05-31-2013, 11:53 AM
This is a great suggestion and I would definitely be up for helping Trion squish some bugs!

KeevanSixx
05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm game, though for a test shard, i would rather use generic alts.....i would hate for my vet to wander in there, then come back out later sprouting a third arm out of it's forehead, or other such glitch.....

anything to help the cause.....

Xanirus
05-31-2013, 12:03 PM
I would definitely copy a character over and try to help as much as I could.

They probably wouldn't let you copy your existing character. It wouldn't matter anyway, since most characters there are wiped on a regular basis, I would think.

Epyon
05-31-2013, 12:05 PM
I'd gladly volunteers but as some mentioned, not with my character lol, since item disappearance bugs are a thing. But then again, its a test server, of course they wouldnt let you in with a character from the regular server.

Re1gn
05-31-2013, 01:10 PM
They probably wouldn't let you copy your existing character. It wouldn't matter anyway, since most characters there are wiped on a regular basis, I would think.

Probably right, I vaguely remember copying a toon onto (I know it's a bad word) WoW's test server and used that as the basis for my statement. Either way even if it was just an alt I would finally have a good reason to have one. :)

Iceberg
05-31-2013, 01:19 PM
When connecting to the Test server they can have a pop up MOTD that lets players know what areas need testing on, either its co-op maps or maybe PvP specific maps with a more detailed bug report tool to allow for dx diag files to be included and screenshot uploads.

It's good to see there are still people out there willing to contribute despite the condition of the game.

Arsenic_Touch
05-31-2013, 01:26 PM
At this point, I doubt a test server would even help.

Iceberg
05-31-2013, 01:56 PM
At this point, I doubt a test server would even help.

I figured I would try to be positive, I even Pm'd the community director so there might be a small chance of at least them seeing that we are interested in helping them.

Xanirus
05-31-2013, 05:33 PM
I figured I would try to be positive, I even Pm'd the community director so there might be a small chance of at least them seeing that we are interested in helping them.

Could of sworn it was already in the works. Didn't one of the community blogs from way back say something along the lines of....

"note to self.....start a test server!"

?

Iceberg
05-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Could of sworn it was already in the works. Didn't one of the community blogs from way back say something along the lines of....

"note to self.....start a test server!"

?

So whats the hold up?

Xanirus
05-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Probably right, I vaguely remember copying a toon onto (I know it's a bad word) WoW's test server and used that as the basis for my statement. Either way even if it was just an alt I would finally have a good reason to have one. :)

"Hey, cool man, you made an alt! What's this alt's skill?"
"He uses the "Test" power. It's really awesome. I randomly expereince bugs, strange effects and UI inconsitencies. Sometimes I bug out so much I can make hellbugs glitch out...." 0_o

MacDeath
06-02-2013, 02:29 AM
On Rift, we have the choice to either copy existing characters over from the Live servers or to create new on the PTS. Note, it's a COPY, not a move. The original char is still there on Live. If you lose items (or gain items) on the PTS, it has no impact on the original char on the Live server.

UrbanUK
06-02-2013, 03:52 AM
What platform would this test server run on, or are we talking 3 test servers for 3 different platforms?

As far as I can tell the code is not the same between platforms so any test environment would have a limited use unless it contained test areas for all 3 platforms.

MacDeath
06-02-2013, 05:25 AM
What platform would this test server run on, or are we talking 3 test servers for 3 different platforms?

As far as I can tell the code is not the same between platforms so any test environment would have a limited use unless it contained test areas for all 3 platforms.
During the Alpha test for Defiance, we all coexisted on one server. MS and Sony apparently don't care if their customers intermix on an Alpha server.

UrbanUK
06-02-2013, 05:31 AM
MS and Sony apparently don't care if their customers intermix on an Alpha server.

Really? Consoles and PC players on one server? Interesting.. shame it couldn't carry over into the main game *shakes fist at Sony and MS*..

Myria
06-02-2013, 05:31 AM
During the Alpha test for Defiance, we all coexisted on one server. MS and Sony apparently don't care if their customers intermix on an Alpha server.

Alpha was PC-only, as were all but the last Beta.

MacDeath
06-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Alpha was PC-only, as were all but the last Beta.
Interesting. Do you have a source for that statement?

Myria
06-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Interesting. Do you have a source for that statement?

Other than having been in Alpha, no.

MacDeath
06-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Other than having been in Alpha, no.
I was in Alpha too. Are you saying you NEVER EVER, not even once, played/tested with other Alpha testers who were on their Xbox? That's not how I remember it.

Myria
06-02-2013, 09:18 AM
I was in Alpha too. Are you saying you NEVER EVER, not even once, played/tested with other Alpha testers who were on their Xbox? That's not how I remember it.

I have an Xbox 360 and PS3, had the game been available on those platforms I would have tried them -- as I did on the PS3 during Beta 3. To the best of my knowledge the first time the game was available for consoles outside of Trion was indeed Beta 3.

Go have a look at the Alpha forums, they're still up and occasionally someone posts in General. You'll note there are no platform specific forums, patch notes, nada. Do a search for "xbox 360 alpha", or similar terms.

MacDeath
06-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I have an Xbox 360 and PS3, had the game been available on those platforms I would have tried them -- as I did on the PS3 during Beta 3. To the best of my knowledge the first time the game was available for consoles outside of Trion was indeed Beta 3.

Go have a look at the Alpha forums, they're still up and occasionally someone posts in General. You'll note there are no platform specific forums, patch notes, nada. Do a search for "xbox 360 alpha", or similar terms.
Ah, I see the disconnect now. It may well be that the Xboxers I remember were all Trion people.