PDA

View Full Version : Impact of the class you pick?

HoG 0M3N
03-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Does this only effect weapon drops or is there something I'm missing? Thanks

Paladin
03-23-2013, 05:36 PM

There is no effect at all in the long run.

Tenz
03-23-2013, 05:41 PM

it only effects your starting weapon and you starting outfit

Eweor
03-23-2013, 05:42 PM
There is no effect at all in the long run.

As he says no effect really which kinda makes your creation choices pointless unless they have plans for that, Im hoping their will be a point to it.

Tlasan
03-23-2013, 05:46 PM
im hoping for some kinda class specialization when you get to a certain rank. a quest or two thats really hard to do.

Jens
03-23-2013, 05:51 PM
it DOES make a difference.
i got an orange shotgun with bonus for mashinist so this bonus only applys for them.
the german CM also stated that origins will make a difference later on.

Sdric
03-23-2013, 05:52 PM
it only effects your starting weapon and you starting outfit

Wrong!

There are also certain weapon stats which only apply if the user has a special class.

Example:
There is a weapon bonus which gives.
Machinist (2): Upon a kill you recharge 10% of your selfrevive.

budha
03-23-2013, 06:31 PM
the weapons that have machinist, veteran, etc on them are not because they belong to a class, but if you get so many pieces of equipment with say machinist on it then those bonuses come into play. there are no classes and you would see in a classic rpg.

Swampster
03-23-2013, 06:42 PM
yeah there's are 'synergies' for certain equipment items that give some bonuses to a specific 'class'.. though these are pretty random. I'm guessing the synergies are based around the same types of gear that each starts off with... so a sniper rifle etc would likely have a synergy for a survivalist etc.

Aside from that there's nothing really role specific regarding each class (like you expect to see in an mmorpg..)

EdgeTW
03-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Wrong!

There are also certain weapon stats which only apply if the user has a special class.

Example:
There is a weapon bonus which gives.
Machinist (2): Upon a kill you recharge 10% of your selfrevive.

I'm not sure if that really matters. Because you could just as easily roll a machinist and wind up with a weapon that gives bonus to outlaws. Right? So your choice at the beginning doesn't matter, just dumb luck on what you receive as loot does.

Now, if we're saying that (example) the best shotguns can only be used by outlaws.. then that would be something worth pointing out.

Shismar
03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Although some synergies are named the same as the four origins, they have no influence on them. So you can use any synergy with any origin and receive the same bonus. There are also synergies later with different names and effects.

As said above, starting weapon and outfit is all that is effected. I have no idea what later effects there could be, nothing in game yet and no word of any plans.

Sdric
03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Well, we don't know all bonuses so far; so somebody might run a class, spent a lot of time leveling but then he finds out that the bonuses of another class would've fit much better to his playstyle.
That'ld be frustrating.

I don't mind the class concept; but since there is so much leveling involved it'ld be nice to have a little bit more information of what class offers which certain bonuses.

E/:
@Shismar
According to Kahuna (German community manager) that's not true.
There are certain stats which only apply if you have the necessary character class.

(In case you do understand German)
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?7929-Was-bringen-Klassen-genau&p=99689&viewfull=1#post99689

Free translation:
"Machinists are the only ones who get the bonus.
Thus there will indeed be differences between the roles."

alienoid
03-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Well, we don't know all bonuses so far; so somebody might run a class, spent a lot of time leveling but then he finds out that the bonuses of another class would've fit much better to his playstyle.
That'ld be frustrating.

I don't mind the class concept; but since there is so much leveling involved it'ld be nice to have a little bit more information of what class offers which certain bonuses.

E/:
@Shismar
According to Kahuna (German community manager) that's not true.
There are certain stats which only apply if you have the necessary character class.

(In case you do understand German)
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?7929-Was-bringen-Klassen-genau&p=99689&viewfull=1#post99689

Sorry to say but Kahuna is wrong ;)
Shismar and I are both alpha testers and synergies have nothing to do with starting origins (unless we have been told wrong for a long time ;) )

Sdric
03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
No need to apologize :P
I'ld be happy if he was wrong; I like the concept of developing your character absolutely freely.
Well, we'll see :)

Swampster
03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Although some synergies are named the same as the four origins, they have no influence on them. So you can use any synergy with any origin and receive the same bonus. There are also synergies later with different names and effects.

As said above, starting weapon and outfit is all that is effected. I have no idea what later effects there could be, nothing in game yet and no word of any plans.

So you're saying that a weapon that has the following bonus...

Synergy (Machinist) : Upon a kill you recharge 10% of your self revive.

Applies that bonus to any class that might be carrying it... a survivalist for example?
if so, that's just stupid.. why list a class linked synergy at all?

Edit: I have just seen the post by Athelan elsewhere... and yeah it seems not to matter the starting class (first time I've seen that). I still maintain that's just stupid though! :p

alienoid
03-23-2013, 07:11 PM
So you're saying that a weapon that has the following bonus...

Synergy (Machinist) : Upon a kill you recharge 10% of your self revive.

Applies that bonus to any class that might be carrying it... a survivalist for example?
if so, that's just stupid.. why list a class linked synergy at all?

Because in first place, they probably wanted to link it to classes. Then they changed their minds as it defeats the purpose of the whole "no class" system but didn't change the names.
Can't say much without breaking alpha NDA that isn't lifted but there are a lot of other synergies with names totally unrelated to "classes" names.

Swampster
03-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Because in first place, they probably wanted to link it to classes. Then they changed their minds as it defeats the purpose of the whole "no class" system but didn't change the names.
Can't say much without breaking alpha NDA that isn't lifted but there are a lot of other synergies with names totally unrelated to "classes" names.

yeah I've seen those other synergies.. I had just assumed the named ones were class specific..
(edited my previous post ;))

budha
03-23-2013, 09:09 PM
synergies are being shown as being abled to be purchased at various merchants(faction) later once you raise your ego level.

Aeekto
03-23-2013, 09:14 PM
No need to apologize :P
I'ld be happy if he was wrong; I like the concept of developing your character absolutely freely.
Well, we'll see :)

I did reply to his post since iīm alpha tester too, but it seems he has allready gone to bed so he couldnīt correct is answer :p

HoG 0M3N
03-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I've played the beta using 3 different classes. The classes definitely effect what type of weapons get dropped for you.

Aeekto
03-23-2013, 09:26 PM
I've played the beta using 3 different classes. The classes definitely effect what type of weapons get dropped for you.

nope, they donīt.... its all RNG.
You just got some luck or bad luck...depends on which loot you wanted.

EdgeTW
03-23-2013, 10:34 PM

For drops I've been getting every weapon under the sun except the one I received as part of the tutorial, so I doubt that's true.

Sdric
03-24-2013, 02:54 AM
Drops?
There is something else than Shotguns you can pick up?

Dead_Phoenix
03-24-2013, 03:08 AM
i can confirm 100% starting class it 100% purely a cosmetic choice. it only denotes starting weapon (from tutorial) and starting outfit.

that is it!

the weapon synergies, have common names with the starting architype class. but nothing to do with the class itself. There is a way it can be proved but alpha testers NDA mean we cant. (or at least i dont think its been talked about in any dev videos enough, and i dont think make an appearence in beta)