PDA

View Full Version : Those Rift guys are clever.

MacDeath
06-01-2013, 12:13 PM
I received this email today:

"Greetings Ascended,

The future is now! Log into the Public Test Shard and earn up to double credits on everything you spend at the RIFT® Store. You'll get every credit you spend added back to your account – plus the bonus – when we launch Update 2.3: Empyreal Assault on June 12th.

To test the RIFT Store on the PTS and get Bonus Credits:
Log into the Public Test Shard, now through June 11th (click here for instructions). The PTS will be live starting at 5 p.m. (Pacific) on Friday.
Buy and spend Credits on the PTS Store.
All unspent Credits will remain on your account.
All spent Credits – plus your bonus credits – will be reimbursed on June 12th.
Please note: to purchase Credits, you must have a valid payment method on file on your Trion Worlds account, and in-game items purchased on the PTS do not carry over to your live game account.

Feedback: Please send feedback through the in-game feedback tool (via the menu on the bottom-left side of your screen) or join us on the RIFT Forums.

Thanks for helping us complete the next step in our epic quest toward Free-to-Play!

- The RIFT Team"

They are encouraging PTS activity AND encouraging people to test out the new store stuff. If they were to just give us all a bazillion free credits on the PTS, we wouldn't act like real players spending their own money. This way they get a more realistic test, when it's over the player still has full credits in the Live store where they will spend it eventually.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
06-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Ok, so, why did you post this on the DEFIANCE General forums and not over in Off Topic?

MacDeath
06-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Ok, so, why did you post this on the DEFIANCE General forums and not over in Off Topic?
I was hoping it would act as a subtle hint to the Defiance team. If they could see that the PTS could help generate revenue...

AFAIK, if a thread STARTS in Off topic, it will never be seen by the Trion folks.

Iceberg
06-01-2013, 12:53 PM
I was hoping it would act as a subtle hint to the Defiance team. If they could see that the PTS could help generate revenue...

AFAIK, if a thread STARTS in Off topic, it will never be seen by the Trion folks.

If a thread starts on the Defiance forums, it will never be seen by Trion.

i800whoscares
06-01-2013, 01:01 PM

fyi the defiance team is all so the rift team to

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
06-01-2013, 01:06 PM
xD

Seriously though, the devs claim to read everything, and posts have been locked, so someone is paying attention.

Schmiznurf
06-01-2013, 01:11 PM

Only because they don't dare enter!

MacDeath
06-01-2013, 01:12 PM
What causes you to think that?

Zabuza
06-01-2013, 02:31 PM

Doubt it.

Pyth
06-01-2013, 02:40 PM

I like this guy.

CrazyBard
06-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I was hoping it would act as a subtle hint to the Defiance team. If they could see that the PTS could help generate revenue....

A test server would be nice, but it was ages before Rift got a decent one going and omg wasn't it painful to use (and probably still is) - so no wonder they reward people for using it. The problem with a test server, is that it's only going to work once they've stabilized the game a little more and can get around to less frequency between patches, at that point it will be viable and I almost guarantee they'll provide one then.

But.. we all know it will only give the whiners something else to moan about "OMG! SEE THE GAME IS BROKEN! WHY ELSE HAVE A TEST SERVER?????" :/

jarrodlovesmusic
06-01-2013, 07:02 PM
xD

Seriously though, the devs claim to read everything, and posts have been locked, so someone is paying attention.

No they only pay attention to posts about ****ty the game is and people whinning blah blah blah. Its like someone is like, whoa we cant be having that no sir rebob. lol Idk if you noticed but if you go through and check the posts that are closed, go to the end of the post and look at what the dev wrote as to why its closed. Its the same post everytime. They have a good amount of people going through then, and that post must be template that they just copy and paste and BOOM! case closed. I swear when they close post they must be thinking
"your post is squashed, and your accounts blocked because you spoke out against the people who own you." then later in the breakroom they must chat about all the accounts they have blocked today and laugh like this
"muwahahaahahaha!" god im bored

MacDeath
06-02-2013, 12:07 AM
No they only pay attention to posts about ****ty the game is and people whinning blah blah blah. Its like someone is like, whoa we cant be having that no sir rebob. lol Idk if you noticed but if you go through and check the posts that are closed, go to the end of the post and look at what the dev wrote as to why its closed. Its the same post everytime. They have a good amount of people going through then, and that post must be template that they just copy and paste and BOOM! case closed. I swear when they close post they must be thinking
"your post is squashed, and your accounts blocked because you spoke out against the people who own you." then later in the breakroom they must chat about all the accounts they have blocked today and laugh like this
"muwahahaahahaha!" god im bored
Mods use copy/paste for consistency. Just like the game has many GMs, the forums have many mods. The mods all need to sing from the same songbook. Ideally, they will all interpret the Code of Conduct and the ToS the same way to determine if a post/thread has violated the CoC / ToS. Warning messages, banning messages and, yes, thread closing messages need to be consistent across all mods.

Gratty
06-02-2013, 02:39 AM

That is actually not true. They are separate teams and have stated that before

MacDeath
06-02-2013, 03:01 AM
That is actually not true. They are separate teams and have stated that before
Not JUST separate teams, but from two different studios, 500 miles apart. Rift team is in Redwood Shores and Defiance team is in San Diego.

ironhands
06-03-2013, 06:55 AM
i played rift all weekend. The guild banks were down, and it's been 3 days and I haven't received a response to a support ticket. also, did a few rift events where certain mobs didn't spawn, some enemies were invisible, and in some areas landscapes weren't spawning right away.

pretty much, exactly like the complaints with Defiance... Can't see why people seem to hold Rift to such a higher standard, I've had more bugs with that than Defiance.

Also, the last 2 were because I was downloading a massive torrent at high speed, not because of bugs on their end :P

Whisky Tango
06-03-2013, 07:11 AM

False statement.

MacDeath
06-03-2013, 07:21 AM
i played rift all weekend. The guild banks were down, and it's been 3 days and I haven't received a response to a support ticket. also, did a few rift events where certain mobs didn't spawn, some enemies were invisible, and in some areas landscapes weren't spawning right away.

pretty much, exactly like the complaints with Defiance... Can't see why people seem to hold Rift to such a higher standard, I've had more bugs with that than Defiance.

Also, the last 2 were because I was downloading a massive torrent at high speed, not because of bugs on their end :P
The Rift team was cut pretty deeply a few months back. The management team of Scot Hartsman, Russ Brown, and Hal Hanlin who, IMO, were most responsible for the success of the early game have all moved on. It's not like it used to be.

ironhands
06-03-2013, 07:27 AM
The Rift team was cut pretty deeply a few months back. The management team of Scot Hartsman, Russ Brown, and Hal Hanlin who, IMO, were most responsible for the success of the early game have all moved on. It's not like it used to be.

I didn't see much of a difference TBH. Storm Legion zones looks like they could mesh with the base game easily, a few new nice mechanics have been made. The main city seemed like a ghost town a lot of the time - a lot are hanging out in the new main city.

Rift is a decent game, but like most MMO, the novelty can wear off pretty quickly. Was a post on ... pcgamer or kotaku, about how only 2 MMOs have been successful in the Americas, EQ and WoW.

What I miss, and loved, about Rift was the world event story updates. I hope they're still doing those, they were a great draw.

What I did do, was kill hellbugs :D Couldn't solo the final/tough one though, had to duo it. Lotta people running around with the mount.