PDA

View Full Version : New to Defiance and could use some guidance!

Grumpy Smurf
06-02-2013, 12:03 AM
So this game is pretty cool. None of my friends play it, so I figured I'd head to the forums for some answers!

I got the basics down. You do missions, shoot stuff, gain exp? (or EGO?) and you can upgrade skills and mod weapons. Yea, the basics, right? Anyway, I have a few questions that hopefully you guys/gals can help me out with.

1. I have no idea how to pick weapons. I've basically just gone with the idea "If it has more green numbers, use it." Is that correct?

2. What is EGO? Am i right in saying its like exp? My "EGO rating" is 168, that good?

3. Vehicles...yea...that...I see people driving cars and stuff and i have a crappy dune buggy.

4. Money. I understand Scrip and Bits, but what about Keycodes and Ark Salvage?

5. Arkfall. You know those red things on the map. I've gone and participated in a few, but I have no idea what's going on. I just shoot and afterward I do a little happy dance if I do better than other people!

I'm sorry for the massive amount of "noob" that is showering your monitor right now, but hopefully you guys/gals can help me out!

btw, my gt is SuJank219 and char is Grumpy Smurf if anyone wants to chat.

Thanks everyone!

poisd2strike
06-02-2013, 12:30 AM
So this game is pretty cool. None of my friends play it, so I figured I'd head to the forums for some answers!

I got the basics down. You do missions, shoot stuff, gain exp? (or EGO?) and you can upgrade skills and mod weapons. Yea, the basics, right? Anyway, I have a few questions that hopefully you guys/gals can help me out with.

1. I have no idea how to pick weapons. I've basically just gone with the idea "If it has more green numbers, use it." Is that correct?

2. What is EGO? Am i right in saying its like exp? My "EGO rating" is 168, that good?

3. Vehicles...yea...that...I see people driving cars and stuff and i have a crappy dune buggy.

4. Money. I understand Scrip and Bits, but what about Keycodes and Ark Salvage?

5. Arkfall. You know those red things on the map. I've gone and participated in a few, but I have no idea what's going on. I just shoot and afterward I do a little happy dance if I do better than other people!

I'm sorry for the massive amount of "noob" that is showering your monitor right now, but hopefully you guys/gals can help me out!

btw, my gt is SuJank219 and char is Grumpy Smurf if anyone wants to chat.

Thanks everyone!

1. One thing to know about weapons is that just because something is more "rare" does not automatically mean it is better. You might find a blue or purple that is better than an orange. Weapon rarity is white -> green -> blue -> purple -> orange. Tbh, the green looks more yellow and the blue looks more teal - at least on Xbox 360. Use whatever weapons you prefer, but know that some weapons share an ammo pool. For example, SMG AR and LMG all use the same ammo pool. I tend to stick with SMG and Sniper or AR and Sniper but that is just my playstyle.

2. Gaining EXP raises your EGO (level). There are other ways to raise your EGO. They include completing Contracts and Pursuits. IIRC, you have to be at least EGO 175 to do Contracts.

3. The only thing you really need to know about Vehicles is to NOT use them during Arkfalls, IF the objective is to Destroy the Crystal. Even then, Vehicles were recently nerfed so they won't last very long at an Arkfall anyways. You should probably consider getting one of the Dodge Challengers. Lastly, wait for a Vendor Special to buy a Vehicle, since they are usually almost half normal price.

4. Scrip is used to buy stuff from Vendors or to trade for an item with another player. You can also use Scrip and Keycodes to buy lock boxes. You could spend bits, on lock boxes, but spending bits does NOT increase your chances of getting better quality items. So, you are generally better off spending in-game currency whenever possible. You may want to consider spending bits on something like an outfit, extra inventory space or boosts for your character / clan. Ark salvage is used to do things like reset EXP on a weapon, add mods to a weapon, add mod slots to a weapon. Generally speaking, Ark salvage is more important than Scrip since Ark salvage has more practical uses.

5. Listen to your EGO's advice during an Arkfall. Try to shoot enemy weak spots. Move around alot to reduce your chances of being KO'd. Make liberal use of your Power and grenades. Revive other players as long as doing so will not get you KO'd. During Arkfalls that involve Hellbugs, attack the Blast Pods ASAP. Blast Pods, if left unchecked, can KO multiple players.

I am sure other players will offer more advice.

Defenze
06-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Dude, I see few have replied to your inquery. Here's my advice: Due to the total lack of social wolves in this game(no one talks on the game chat) you need to go to YouTube and punch in Defiance on the search bar. Watch every single vid dealing with game play. From weopons to mods,to skills to story line etc. Watch everything you can. Also do search on this website. Almost every aspect of the game has a thread in the fourums. Read them. In no time at all you will have all the answers to all your questions. BTW, don't listen to all the negative naybobs on this fourm. Defiance is a fun game and it's only gonna get better.

CallMeMoo
06-02-2013, 02:14 AM
1. One thing to know about weapons is that just because something is more "rare" does not automatically mean it is better. You might find a blue or purple that is better than an orange. Weapon rarity is white -> green -> blue -> purple -> orange. Tbh, the green looks more yellow and the blue looks more teal - at least on Xbox 360. Use whatever weapons you prefer, but know that some weapons share an ammo pool. For example, SMG AR and LMG all use the same ammo pool. I tend to stick with SMG and Sniper or AR and Sniper but that is just my playstyle.

Forgot to mention that every weapon has a skill level that can be raised from 1 to 20 which gives you extra bonuses when using that type of gun. You raise these skill levels by using guns of that type but the amount of experience you can get in a weapon skill is dependent on the exp bar on the weapon. Once that full you won't gain anymore exp to level that weapon skill unless you find another weapon of that type and level it up. The game lets you know when you maxed the exp on a weapon.

A s0t
06-02-2013, 02:33 AM
for #2 on a menu/map left trigger to goals. there you will find pursuits. they add up and when you get to ego 175 you unlock contracts, which you get reputation points.

scopes are broken

you can use salvage to add mod slots to weapons there a guide for the salvage matrix around here somewhere

this is frowned upon but tag an arkfall and continue on what ever your doing. TAG = shoot something and bailing but dont go into a co-op match or pvp

co-op/shadow war/pvp matches are right on d pad

pvp is mostly cloak/shotgun

here is the trading thread for when you get/want an orange gun
http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?43-Need-Want-(Trading-Post)

go into setting and increase the overscan 6 blocks it gets the hud more into the corners of your screen

Grumpy Smurf
06-02-2013, 06:43 AM
First, thanks guys for helping me out! Definitely appreciate it! All this just brings so many more questions haha.

@poisd2strike:
Is there a better load out? I've been using an AR/LMG combo and then on my 2nd loadout a Sniper/Pistol combo. Is that wrong? And is there anyway to clear the 2nd loadout? It gets really annoying when you're trying to sell stuff to make room in your inventory.

@Defenze:
I'll have to browse YouTube tonight and check out what people have to say. And don't worry about me not listening to the "negative naybobs." I've been basically playing solo for the week and I've loved it so far. Who needs 'em, ya know!

@CallMeMoo
Moo.

@A s0t
Scopes are broken good? Or broken bad? Tone is hard to convey over forums haha, but I assume you mean good.
I will have to hunt for the salvage matrix thread cause i have no idea what the **** you're talking about! haha
What are the co-op/shadow war/pvp matches in the game?

bigdirty
06-02-2013, 06:48 AM
There isn't really any better loadout, persay. You have to go with whatever guns you are comfortable using. thankfully you get a lot of build slots quickly and can test out a bunch of them.

I will say, if you find you like a certain weapon type, like SMGs for instance, keep track of your weapon's experience bar. You level up your specific weapon skills by using that weapon but you can only gain a certain amount of weapon skill per actual gun. Once you max out one SMG, you have to use another unless you pay a stupid high fee of ark salvage.

Also. don't worry about modding weapons that much starting out. It will only matter when you're higher.

topcatfish
06-02-2013, 06:59 AM
get yourself a saw,good for arkfalls

poisd2strike
06-02-2013, 02:32 PM
First, thanks guys for helping me out! Definitely appreciate it! All this just brings so many more questions haha.

@poisd2strike:
Is there a better load out? I've been using an AR/LMG combo and then on my 2nd loadout a Sniper/Pistol combo. Is that wrong? And is there anyway to clear the 2nd loadout? It gets really annoying when you're trying to sell stuff to make room in your inventory.

I would not recommend a loadout that combines AR SMG or LMG, since these weapons all share an ammo pool. SO, if you have an AR (as your first weapon) and shoot ten rounds (with an LMG in your second weapon slot) the LMG will also have 10 fewer rounds, when you switch to it. Personally, I find the idea of a shared ammo pool to be stupid (Borderlands 2 has AR and SMG, and they each have their own ammo), but Trion apparently wants to avoid a situation where most ppl would use AR or SMG in first slot and LMG in second slot.

While I *might* use a combo of SMG and AR (if there was no shared ammo pool), I am not a big fan of LMG and would probably stick with either Sniper Rifle or *possibly* even a Combat Shotgun in the 2nd slot. Shotguns recently got a nerf, so they are not as strong as they used to be. That being said, I purchased a purple shotgun (pre-nerf) from a Vendor for just over 5000 scrip. It has a few mod slots and Synergy for Outlaw (technically my "Class"). The Dmg is Ok (not great) - something like 47x8 but it has a ROF of 5 or 6 and a good number of rounds. But like I said, you should use whatever weapons you are comfortable with.

Nate Murder
06-02-2013, 03:29 PM
"Tbh, the green looks more yellow and the blue looks more teal - at least on Xbox 360."

I guess it depends on your TV. On my TV, green looks like a bright green and blue looks more like a light blue, but definitely not teal.

GodBunny
06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Scopes are not broken! They got fixed and work. Also no one mentioned that ego lvl goes upto 5000... but any lvl ego can fairly fight any other lvl... yes higher can be better... but balance is what is amazing about this game.... thus all lvls play together! :-)

defiancexlady
06-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Ill help u in-game. Send me a request. Me and my fiancÚ play everyday :) gt mrs fk tha fame