PDA

View Full Version : Why do they call it a SyFy Original Series...

Funkenstein
06-03-2013, 07:46 AM
When nothing about it is remotely original? Defiance is clearly entirely constructed from stories, characters, and ideas borrowed from pre-existing science fiction.

Beta582
06-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Isn't that almost every T.V. show/Movie now?

Whisky Tango
06-03-2013, 07:51 AM
When nothing about it is remotely original? Defiance is clearly entirely constructed from stories, characters, and ideas borrowed from pre-existing science fiction.

Wait... what? I do not understand your question. Are you stating that it is a rip-off of other television series?

Combo Breaker
06-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Simpsons did it.

Beta582
06-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Most "New" shows/movies use elements of literature/other shows/other movies in them. It is unavoidable to have at least some similarities with other shows/movies of the same genre.

Indra Echo
06-03-2013, 07:55 AM

I tend to agree with you that that is the case, but it's one thing to borrow ideas and it's another thing when you make it your own and change that idea to fit what you've created.

Case in point, Falling Skies uses the term skitterers-I actually dislike that show for using that word because I don't think it fits. So, Defiance uses skitterlings. But I think the term fits because they have a lot more skitterish behavior. Falling Skies could also owe some of its stuff to Battlestar Gallactica which also was used as a model for some stuff in Mass Effect, that also used some stuff by Lovecraft and even more.

But again, if someone writes a war story there will always be fundamental similarities to other war stories-it's all about how they make it their own.

In the case of SyFy original, it means the content was not made by an outside studio but by SyFy, I am sure you know that.

Escyos
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
This show is practically a rip off of star trek because it has aliens in it..... (See how stupid that sounds)

Northpm
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM

They call all shows that are first aired on SyFy a SyFy original series. It has not been shown on any other network before the SyFy network, therefore it is original to SyFy and no other network. They have been doing this many many years, before they even changed the name to SyFy from Scifi.
It truly has nothing to do with how original the show may be, as all writers know there is no such thing as a truly original story anymore, they're all based off of previously told stories with a change of worlds, characters, names, etc.

Whisky Tango
06-03-2013, 07:59 AM
This show is practically a rip off of star trek because it has aliens in it..... (See how stupid that sounds)

I like it.

Whisky Tango
06-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Lord of the Rings = WWII. That does not make it bad literature/movies.

IrishRanger01
06-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Southpark did it to

fapjak
06-03-2013, 08:04 AM

Someone's butthurt. It's original because it is its own story, with its own characters, and its own plot line. You don't call poets unoriginal because they use the same elements of literature as other poets. Think, good sir, it just might do you some good.

ironhands
06-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Case in point, Falling Skies uses the term skitterers-I actually dislike that show for using that word because I don't think it fits. So, Defiance uses skitterlings.

You mean the cooties?

Kronik
06-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Simpsons already did everything nothing is original anymore.

ironhands
06-03-2013, 08:06 AM

Like Star Wars?

Indra Echo
06-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Someone's butthurt. It's original because it is its own story, with its own characters, and its own plot line. You don't call poets unoriginal because they use the same elements of literature as other poets. Think, good sir, it just might do you some good.

And actually a lot of pop SciFi and gaming SciFi uses other stuff as inspiration as a way to honor those that created it-that and sometimes as a sort of joke.

Lara Croft is a female Indiana Jones and Nathaniel Drake is another form of Indiana Jones, but not the same. Original.

Indra Echo
06-03-2013, 08:10 AM
You mean the cooties?

Yeah, exactly. OMG, I knew they looked familiar. I so wanted to like that show too and I just hate those things and not in a fun way. That and the stupid harnesses. Make it stop!

Agamenon Atreides
06-03-2013, 08:11 AM

More precisely to the series called "Alien Nation"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094631/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4aGxG-SBSE

And thats the only that have in common, Aliens that come to earth escaping from the end of his world and looking for asylum

Era
06-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Everything is a ripoff of everything. Shtako you could spots elements of Norse mythology in Defiance. *****ing about this **** outside of direct and patently obvious ripoffs (like Defiance has ripped off Borderlands) is stupid. *****ing about them ripping off good shtako (like Defiance has ripped off of Borderlands), as long as they made it their own, is also stupid. *****ing about them using "original series" when you well know what that phrase means takes the cake.

Indra Echo
06-03-2013, 08:24 AM
More precisely to the series called "Alien Nation"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094631/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4aGxG-SBSE

And thats the only that have in common, Aliens that come to earth escaping from the end of his world and looking for asylum

I loved Alien Nation, the movie and the series. But see even it owes a lot to earlier things, like Rod Serling's Twilght Zone and the Outer Limits, both the earlier B&W shows and the later ones. Read a Stephen King book and most of them have themes and settings taken right from Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits. And a lot of SciFi is taken from the early Buck Rogers serial movies and those got ideas from Jules Verne and H. G. Wells and so on-turtles all the way down.

Shogo_Yahagi
06-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Somebody doesn't understand how stories work.

Indra Echo
06-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Everything is a ripoff of everything. Shtako you could spots elements of Norse mythology in Defiance. *****ing about this **** outside of direct and patently obvious ripoffs (like Defiance has ripped off Borderlands) is stupid. *****ing about them ripping off good shtako (like Defiance has ripped off of Borderlands), as long as they made it their own, is also stupid. *****ing about them using "original series" when you well know what that phrase means takes the cake.

Yep, Star Wars borrowed from Greek Mythology as well as from the Seven Samurai (I think that's the name) Japanese movie, and from early silent movies like Wings for aerial combat especially.

Lindrei
06-03-2013, 08:26 AM

You seem overly pissed off atm, is somthing the matter or is it just the dumb***.

ironhands
06-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Yeah, exactly. OMG, I knew they looked familiar. I so wanted to like that show too and I just hate those things and not in a fun way. That and the stupid harnesses. Make it stop!

I love Falling Skies, I can't wait for the new season.

Indra Echo
06-03-2013, 08:29 AM
I love Falling Skies, I can't wait for the new season.

I've tried, I really have. The new season looks like it will be interesting with Volge-like new foes.

ironhands
06-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Yep, Star Wars borrowed from Greek Mythology as well as from the Seven Samurai (I think that's the name) Japanese movie, and from early silent movies like Wings for aerial combat especially.

The Searchers - a western.

T_Archangel
06-03-2013, 08:34 AM
To quote a wise person... "There's nothing new under the sun." Hence the fact that most new movies anymore are merely remakes or re-releases. Any story written will be influenced by other things that the writer has seen/read/done so therefore any story can be looked at in such a way.

Best bet... Just enjoy the way the story is presented in a new or different or exciting way, and don't stress over figuring out what it was originally influenced by...

Shogo_Yahagi
06-03-2013, 08:39 AM

The Hidden Fortress was the Japanese movie that heavily influenced George Lucas.

That said, practically every samurai movie Akira Kurosawa ever made has been remade many times, and many of the remakes are themselves considered classics. Seven Samurai was remade as a Western as The Magnificent Seven. Yojimbo, which was itself a samurai retelling of the film noir movie The Glass Key, was remade as A Fistful of Dollars. Later, bringing things full circle, Yojimbo was remade in gangster film noir style as Last Man Standing.

Josnas
06-03-2013, 08:46 AM
This was a troll thread, way to feed it.

CrazyBard
06-03-2013, 08:47 AM

Name an original series then.

Indra Echo
06-03-2013, 08:48 AM
To quote a wise person... "There's nothing new under the sun." Hence the fact that most new movies anymore are merely remakes or re-releases. Any story written will be influenced by other things that the writer has seen/read/done so therefore any story can be looked at in such a way.

Best bet... Just enjoy the way the story is presented in a new or different or exciting way, and don't stress over figuring out what it was originally influenced by...

Yes and sometimes it happens subconsciously. A person likes something growing up and then creates something similar because of what they liked.

Milofo
06-03-2013, 09:00 AM
If you are being really picky then nothing can now be original as there a limited number of plots for all stories.

http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/plotFARQ.html

ItISLupus
06-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Because it originally aired on Syfy.

crasher
06-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Southpark did it to
Did it to what?

Shada Mori
06-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Its called a original series because it was designed, written and produced by the Syfy channel. The show/series is original to the channel. Nothing more.

Sci-fi is a genre, and yes it contains many tropes you will see repeated in shows, and have been repeated from even before TV existed, taken from books and novels written as early as the 1900s. Its been said, and they loved to beat this into us in Art School (Art Institute of Houston if you are wondering..) that everything that can be done or thought of has been done or conceived already in the past.. taking that and making it your own is the real art. I think Defiance combines enough classic sci-fi elements in a unique and interesting way enough that it does differentiate itself from other shows. That's my opinion though.

Funkenstein
06-03-2013, 09:05 AM

How about how Joshua Nolan is Malcolm Reynolds and Irisa is Leeloo, both as character archetypes as well as the characters/actors looking extremely similar. The main characters of the show being salvagers/mercenaries who show up to places, get into fights, and solve problems was pretty much the main theme of Firefly, those are just the examples that immediately spring to mind. You look back through scifi history and you can find things to draw parallels to any aspect of Defiance.

I was originally throwing praise at syfy and trion for putting so much work into pushing a totally new IP instead of just trying to make a sequel to something, but it's become blatantly apparent that the thought process behind it was "Let's take all these things that were already popular and mash them together, it'll be a guaranteed hit!" and what we've been left with is something that commits the most heinous of crimes - it's extraordinarily mediocre. I'm not conceited enough to say that no one wanted this franchise to be great more then I did, but I'm not some guy who wanted it to fail.

Shada Mori
06-03-2013, 09:12 AM
How about how Joshua Nolan is Malcolm Reynolds and Irisa is Leeloo, both as character archetypes as well as the characters/actors looking extremely similar. The main characters of the show being salvagers/mercenaries who show up to places, get into fights, and solve problems was pretty much the main theme of Firefly, those are just the examples that immediately spring to mind. You look back through scifi history and you can find things to draw parallels to any aspect of Defiance.

I was originally throwing praise at syfy and trion for putting so much work into pushing a totally new IP instead of just trying to make a sequel to something, but it's become blatantly apparent that the thought process behind it was "Let's take all these things that were already popular and mash them together, it'll be a guaranteed hit!" and what we've been left with is something that commits the most heinous of crimes - it's extraordinarily mediocre. I'm not conceited enough to say that no one wanted this franchise to be great more then I did, but I'm not some guy who wanted it to fail.

You realize the space cowboy archtype didn't originate with Mal either right? We had Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, not to mention of course Han Solo and I'm sure tens of other examples I can't think of with my sleep addled brain. And Irisa as Leeloo? Really? Was your entire basis for that the color of her hair? Cause I don't see a lot of other similarities there. Actually I am trying to think of a close parallel for her character and I really can't off the top of my head other than one or two references from obscure movies. The girl from Pandorum springs to mind for some reason.

CrazyBard
06-03-2013, 09:15 AM
You realize the space cowboy archtype didn't originate with Mal either right? We had Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, not to mention of course Han Solo and I'm sure tens of other examples I can't think of with my sleep addled brain. And Irisa as Leeloo? Really? Was your entire basis for that the color of her hair? Cause I don't see a lot of other similarities there. Actually I am trying to think of a close parallel for her character and I really can't off the top of my head other than one or two references from obscure movies. The girl from Pandorum springs to mind for some reason.

The girl from Serenity - she had visions of sorts and a violent streak? Oh, and Firefly itself is pretty much space cowboys - but it wasn't unique, he kinda reminded me of Han Solo a lot as he was usually the reluctant money grabbing hero.

Shada Mori
06-03-2013, 09:17 AM
The girl from Serenity - she had visions of sorts and a violent streak? Oh, and Firefly itself is pretty much space cowboys.

True, I blanked out on River for some reason. Definite similarities there.