PDA

View Full Version : Please get a keyboard people / No talking or trading? What kind of MMO is this?

SilentBob420BMFJ
06-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I beg you guys, get keyboards. A full size wireless USB one is $15.

I'm tired of going from town to town and arkfall to arkfall and not only not getting any responses to what I ask/say, but I don't see people say anything. I'm tired of feeling like I'm playing with people who don't speak English. The fact that you can sit in town for a half hour and not see one thing said is ***ked up to me.

Mics are for clans/groups/friends that you plan on doing a lot of chatting/playing with, not for addressing a whole town/arkfall randomly. If they were, if they actually had the range of keyboards, I'd just get on my mic and I wouldn't be typing this right now. But they fail outside of clans/groups (also in other ways too). And honestly, imagine if every single person used a mic, and they worked really far away. Ya, that would be terrible.

Trion needs to do something too, like add chatrooms and trading posts. But in the mean time, you're playing an MMO, please come prepared, unless you honestly have no interest in socializing/trading. But I don't believe 95% of you don't want to talk/trade, I think it's just cuz you don't have a keyboard.

PeterPolaski
06-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I think most of the time it's because people are either grinding away & don't bother, or people don't realize that the game has chat in the first place. It would take too much effort to look at a menu. :)

Lethaltyrant
06-03-2013, 11:05 AM
I agree i play on xbox i have a mic and use it to talk to my clan and friends that play if im not with them i keep it muted. I keep a keyboard right in front of me also kind of treat the xbox like PC where i am not sitting on a couch far away from it. I have tried countless times to try and get help from someone or asked a question and got no response. So its not just PS3 or Xbox alone its both people just wont seem to talk for some reason. Get with the program people this is an MMO TPS start talking make some new friends or just a trade buddy do it. i dare you all to type in the chat unless you are chicken. BAWK BAWK BAWK lol

Sludge
06-03-2013, 11:05 AM
OP is applying PC MMO logic to console MMO.

In FFXI you could tell who the console players were because they only talked in auto phrases. DCUO has plenty of trade spam but very little chat.

You're not.going to see a change to this unless an MMO offers mouse and keyboard controls and even then probably still a lot of people will jist use a controller. There is no comfortable place to put your keyboard when sitting on a couch.

Lethaltyrant
06-03-2013, 12:03 PM
I played with plenty of people of FFXI most of whom are on xbox and all had keyboards the only time i saw auto phrases was to communicate to japanese players but u know that might be a good thing for defiance to put it or do they already have that and i just dont see the option for that?

Space_Monky
06-03-2013, 12:31 PM
the problem for me is that i don't want a full keyboard in my lap.
if i could find a backlit keypad that is reasonably priced, i would gladly get it.

Frequencey
06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
they should have one like the xbox chatpad that could just be clipped onto the bottom of the controller, but the ps3 pad aint got any capacity for a chatpad to hook onto the pad , shame that. I hardly see anybody speaking/typing in chat channel apart from the odd expletive aimed at the nutter driving a car in the middle of arkfalls

Whisky Tango
06-03-2013, 12:44 PM

I'm tired of going from town to town and arkfall to arkfall and not only not getting any responses to what I ask/say, but I don't see people say anything. I'm tired of feeling like I'm playing with people who don't speak English. The fact that you can sit in town for a half hour and not see one thing said is ***ked up to me.

Or the players mute area chate because they are tired of players playing an "MMO" with names like 420this, 420that, or iamtolazytocapitolize.

Mics are for clans/groups/friends that you plan on doing a lot of chatting/playing with, not for addressing a whole town/arkfall randomly. If they were, if they actually had the range of keyboards, I'd just get on my mic and I wouldn't be typing this right now. But they fail outside of clans/groups (also in other ways too). And honestly, imagine if every single person used a mic, and they worked really far away. Ya, that would be terrible.

Trion needs to do something too, like add chatrooms and trading posts. But in the mean time, you're playing an MMO, please come prepared, unless you honestly have no interest in socializing/trading. But I don't believe 95% of you don't want to talk/trade, I think it's just cuz you don't have a keyboard.

Or the players have muted area chat because they are tired of players with names like 420this, 420that, or iamtolazytohitshiftandspace spamming it. You should not "tell" people how to play, and what to do. To each their own, brotha.

pooch83
06-03-2013, 12:51 PM
hell i have a full keyboard on my controller, and i use it often. i also have turtle beach. i only use that when im in a party or playing with someone random. but i do agree. this is a MMO, so act like it. dont be a **** an say ****** things, or make fun of someones playing style. use it to trade, sell, help a fellow arkhunter out, hell make new friends. trion put these options in for us to take advantage of it. so do so. unless your a 12yr an sings marry had a little lamb... then that sh*t is annoying lol.

Chapel
06-03-2013, 04:58 PM
they should have one like the xbox chatpad that could just be clipped onto the bottom of the controller, but the ps3 pad aint got any capacity for a chatpad to hook onto the pad , shame that. I hardly see anybody speaking/typing in chat channel apart from the odd expletive aimed at the nutter driving a car in the middle of arkfalls

Ummm...Sony did make a chatpad for the Dualshock 3.lol I have one clipped to my controller right now. I keep that turned on whenever I'm on my PS3,along with my mic. I'm usually the guy at the arkfalls saying "DON'T kill the skitterlings!" in the chat. I see people having conversations and such in chat,mostly at Shondu's Consulate. But outside of that,it's mostly people looking to trade or just silence. Which doesn't bother me. I usually don't have anything decent to trade at all,let alone the asking prices of what people want.

uninhabitableheart
06-03-2013, 05:50 PM
OP is applying PC MMO logic to console MMO.

In FFXI you could tell who the console players were because they only talked in auto phrases. DCUO has plenty of trade spam but very little chat.

You're not.going to see a change to this unless an MMO offers mouse and keyboard controls and even then probably still a lot of people will jist use a controller. There is no comfortable place to put your keyboard when sitting on a couch.

Maybe he is, but he's got a point. I have a keyboard, which I rarely use because I expect no interaction. Now about the trading...

This game doesn't really have an "economy", so coming from games like WoW, the idea of trading with people is a bit ridiculous. I don't want to sit there with someone debating what's a "fair" trade, when no items have drop rates or anything to go by (the way farmed items do in a game like WoW - based on what common activities yield per hour versus drop rates, etc).

Here's an example of why it's as messed up as it is:

Let's say I make $75,000 a year working full time in an office, and let's say you make $4500 a year working part time at a local business. If you spend $20 on bits, buy lockboxes, and get 1 legendary and a huge amount of greens... what's the one legendary really worth TO YOU? Now let's say I haven't bought bits but I have been playing a couple hours a day for the last month and have only amassed say 50,000 scrip. I bet you that month of playing 2 hours every night (50,000 scrip) is worth just as much, if not more, to ME, as that legendary is TO YOU. So when you want 100,000 scrip for that Legendary you essentially bought with real world money, when in the real world your time is not worth (relatively speaking) as much as mine is on a quantifiable level... who's right? Who's wrong? No one. It's just totally subjective and my point is no items have any "value" at all, based on the the lack of consistent drop rates and the ability to gain items with real world money.

I'm open to some changes to loot tables/drop-rates and implementation of things like an Auction House, but I still like the game as it stands right now.

PS: I know my example is not perfect, so save yourself the time scrutinizing it to find a fault or 2, I'm sure there might be, but I hope everyone can get my general point.

Thedjectivenoun
06-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Think this is a Third Person Shooter first and MMO last. I think that is what was stated by an employee at Trion.

DaMaJaDiZ
06-03-2013, 08:55 PM

If you buy em in bulk, I'm sure that we'll put them to good use.

Valkyrie Elsa
06-03-2013, 09:18 PM
I have my keyboard. Usually I yell KNEEL BEFORE ZOD after I get first in an Arkfall

Bruhaha98
06-03-2013, 11:25 PM

lol all this coming from someone who is named SILENT BOB........ rofl,, IRONY at its best!

Black_Adder_
06-04-2013, 12:00 AM
OP really bugs me, people with mics and keyboards scare me.

Shandri
06-04-2013, 07:08 AM
I have a keyboard but rearely use the chat because it's terrible. There's either the micro window where I simply miss 90% of what is being said if I am doing -anything- else...or the stupid ginormo overlay window that prevents anything but chat. I use a mic in clan chat...that's good enough for me. This game by design seems to be set up for social interaction in clan but not much elsewhere.

SilentBob420BMFJ
06-04-2013, 10:30 PM
I agree i play on xbox i have a mic and use it to talk to my clan and friends that play if im not with them i keep it muted. I keep a keyboard right in front of me also kind of treat the xbox like PC where i am not sitting on a couch far away from it. I have tried countless times to try and get help from someone or asked a question and got no response. So its not just PS3 or Xbox alone its both people just wont seem to talk for some reason. Get with the program people this is an MMO TPS start talking make some new friends or just a trade buddy do it. i dare you all to type in the chat unless you are chicken. BAWK BAWK BAWK lol

This. Amen.

SilentBob420BMFJ
06-04-2013, 10:44 PM
OK, I've seen this said a lot, and it makes me say WHAT?!

Apparently some of you honestly don't know where to put a keyboard? REALLY? So what's holding you back is a place to put your keyboard when you're not typing (I can come over and assist you if you live near me, we can figure out this complex problem together), and then it's even too big to place in your lap? So then the idea of a small laptop or tablet probably blows your mind?

I play reclined with pillows, on a couch, with a kind of crowded coffee table next to me, and I still do just fine. I set my controller aside and put the keyboard in my lap when I type. I'm not asking you guys to go from shooting a clip to chatting while you reload and then back to shooting, I'm talking about just trading etc. You don't need an official place for the keyboard (again, REALLY?). If you really struggle, get the overpriced one that you can connect to your controller.

But ya anyways, just having some fun there, but honestly some of you need to get keyboards. And by "some" I'm talking to the people who ever think "Eh, I'd say something but I'm lazy". You know what I'm talking about. Don't tell me 50 people all want to be silent in the same place, ya right.

Keyboards, it's why there's not much socializing. Also Trion, they're half the reason I won't deny.

Krauser
06-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Speaking for myself, this is the first (and will probably be the last) MMO I've ever played. I'm an old school console guy, a lot of this is new to me and nothing is explained. I'd rather play the game than wander around having text conversations looking for someone to trade gear with, especially since I spend so much time selling or breaking down all the crap I pick up anyway. If you're into the online chatty stuff that's fine, but I'd guess a lot of people on the consoles aren't interested, keyboard or not.

nosworc
06-05-2013, 03:51 AM
Keyboards, it's the reason why there's not much socializing. Also Trion, they're half the reason I won't deny.

It's all Trion, i'm not going to spend any money on a keyboard when half the time the chat doesn't work. I'm full sure the majority of the time i do type something nobody else sees it anyway.

Jay Common
06-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Just because people don't want to trade with you doesn't mean they don't have a keyboard. The chat window is impossible to see when you are doing anything other than just standing there, and basically when I'm just standing there than I had to walk away from my game for a minute.

And besides why would I want to trade anyone anyway? Everyone has the same junk except for one or two people who might have what you want but than will overcharge you for it. Sorry, I will just grind my own gear and you can keep your orange rebounder cannons and wolverine pistols.

SilentBob420BMFJ
06-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Made a clan after somebody sarcastically suggested it. I first did WE HAVE KEYBOARDS, but then decided Keyboard Warriors was funnier. So if you share my frustration for people who don't use keyboards, or if you just want to know that other people you're in a clan with can talk with you easy, send me a request.

Riz
06-09-2013, 07:50 AM
I have a mic, using it too in group and clan. I personally dont feel the 'need' to mix in and have nice convo's in Defiance, and certainly dont feel like using a keyboard. And ill explain why not:
-I play on PS3, on the couch. Im NOT going to get up to type a sentence in area-chat.
-I hate typing during gameplay. I talk, or we dont communicate.
-The chat-options are put away too deep ingame. Have to leftclick the d-pad, go down, right, right, down, right.. then type, enter and find yourself at the respawnpoint... Got killed cause there ofc is no pause option.
-And last but not least. Chatting in area is completely useless lol. I see ppl typing 'dont kill the skits' all the time. Uhm.. I think most players already know by now you need the skitterlings to defeat the red chrystal arkfall. Still they kill em, just to get the kills for the Arkfall-pursuit, or a contract to kill that many skitterlings or.. or.. or... Also your EGO, and theirs, tells them to leave the skitterlings alone. Theres is no point in telling them that in area-chat, personal objectives may differ from teamplay in Defiance.

When i joined another player his mission, or the other way around and we finished it i simply 'greet' him through emotes and walk on. No way im typing while playing.