PDA

View Full Version : Worst TV show in years.

cesmode
06-03-2013, 09:19 PM
***Possible Spoiler alert, although I doubt it...***

I had such high hopes for this show. I DVR it every monday night and watch it late monday night, early tuesday morning. I look forward to it. But since the first episode, its gotten worse and worse.

-Disjointed story arcs
-Poor character development
-Is this a Drama or a sci fi action show(since you know..the game is sci fi action)
-The CGI I could live with if the rest of the show was actually decent
-No continuity from week to week. It feels like all standalones.
-Feels like theres absolutely no connection to the game. Im not talking about the supposed "interaction" between the two...But in the game you are doing ark falls, killing hell bugs and mutants, etc etc. In this..."who killed birch". "who is sleeping with who". What..the...hell?
-Minimal action
-I like Irisa as a character, but what the hell is up with these visions? Is she some mystic freakin being or something? What the hell? Who cares?
-The "relationships" that formed in the most recent episode. You know what Im talking about. What in the hell does this have to do with ANYTHING SCI FI?!

Seriously, The show started off great. Gone to crap since.

MykeMirage
06-03-2013, 09:21 PM
I agree with the character development for most characters.

Same with it being a drama.

But on continuity? Okay. Pay attention to the old lady.

And Irisa is a little shtako who needs to grow up.

A s0t
06-03-2013, 09:23 PM
you haven't seen "breaking bad" now that is boring

cesmode
06-03-2013, 09:24 PM
I am paying attention to Nicolette. Her little arc is the only thing keeping it together. A little drama, fine...but behind it is a master plan to ..do something to the planet or human race or whatever that will be for the greater good. Im sure it has something to do with sci fi at least. I wish they would hop on that one more. But I don't care who killed birch. Her slumber party with Raef was completely unnecessary. To what end? To push his buttons? I thought raef had a set...I would have thrown her out in the first few minutes when I suspected shtako. Noo..he let her take the room upstairs, unattended, so she could get into mischief. And she did. Poor writing. They took a good arc into the wrong direction.

chicksticker
06-03-2013, 09:25 PM
I wanna know how Datek got away with what he did at the end of episode 3(i think it was 3) when in episode 4 he clearly confesses. Nolan was like whatever I gotta find my girlfriend instead!

3rdpig
06-03-2013, 09:27 PM

My feelings are exactly the opposite, it started off crap and has been getting better and better.

cesmode
06-03-2013, 09:33 PM
I wanna know how Datek got away with what he did at the end of episode 3(i think it was 3) when in episode 4 he clearly confesses. Nolan was like whatever I gotta find my girlfriend instead!

Exactly. Now...his "gf" is...well..

Several times in that hour tonight, I literally said out loud "What the f_ck?" I mean...what in the hell is going on? What should I be focusing on? Irisa's nightmares? The gf bartender and her sexual exploits? Alec Tar wedding? The volge attack, which was OMG so effing important to stop in the first episode and theres been 0 thread of it since...I mean where is this show going? I feel like we are being led in multiple directions without a clear destination.

DaMaJaDiZ
There seems to be some confusion in how people are viewing the programming. SyFy hasn't been dedicated to sci fi for years. There have been shows here or there for the sake of legitimacy. But their programming mirrors the viewing habits you'd find in the demo for ABC more than anything else. To put it bluntly, they aren't making shows for the science fiction fan. They make them for the "viewing" demographic.

chicksticker
Another thing I was thinking about was when Kenya was missing. Why didn't Irrisa just use her visions to find her. You could say her power works only with her own kind,but why wouldn't they at least mention that in that episode.

brandileigh
06-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Support Defiance, it's a step in the right direction to get Syfy to go back to actually showing sci-fi instead of reality crap tv.

And while the writing isn't great in Defiance, I find it really enjoyable. Way more than say...Revolution.

bigdirty

I had such high hopes for this show. I DVR it every monday night and watch it late monday night, early tuesday morning. I look forward to it. But since the first episode, its gotten worse and worse.

-Disjointed story arcs
-Is this a Drama or a sci fi action show(since you know..the game is sci fi action)
-Feels like theres absolutely no connection to the game. Im not talking about the supposed "interaction" between the two...But in the game you are doing ark falls, killing hell bugs and mutants, etc etc. In this..."who killed birch". "who is sleeping with who". What..the...hell?
-Minimal action
-I like Irisa as a character, but what the hell is up with these visions? Is she some mystic freakin being or something? What the hell? Who cares?
-The "relationships" that formed in the most recent episode. You know what Im talking about. What in the hell does this have to do with ANYTHING SCI FI?!

You're entitled to your opinion, but yours is pure stupidity. It just seems like you don't understand whats going on due to lack of IQ and are judging the show based off that. Everything about what you said is nonsense. The game is the game and the show is the show. They're set in the same world. It seems like you want it to be exactly like the video game, which is ******ed and nobody would watch it other than maybe you. Like do you want Irisa to tell Sukar to F off and go arkhunting with Nolan? Come on, bro.

You just are too dumb to understand the show, plain and simple. I'm sorry, I'm just sick of seeing these kind of reviews from people who clearly have no idea what the **** they're watching. You seem like an IMDB troll.

trsg
Honestly, I'm getting tired of seeing Kenya with someone else every single episode. I mean we all know what her business entails- do we really need to see it in every episode? I understand that it's a TV show and for some reason they need to have sexual scenes, but this is kind of overdoing it.

DaMaJaDiZ
06-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Support Defiance, it's a step in the right direction to get Syfy to go back to actually showing sci-fi instead of reality crap tv.

And while the writing isn't great in Defiance, I find it really enjoyable. Way more than say...Revolution.

That kind of thinking means less real sci fi, and more Lost Girl and Being Human. Good luck with that.

brandileigh
06-03-2013, 09:41 PM

There's sarcasm in there right? No one could possibly hate watching the exploits of Mr. White and Jesse!

brandileigh
06-03-2013, 09:45 PM
That kind of thinking means less real sci fi, and more Lost Girl and Being Human. Good luck with that.

People been fed a steady stream of crap on tv for quite sometime now. If baby sci-fi gets people to watch it, it can act like a gateway drug to the good stuff :)

And I wouldn't call Lost Girl or Being Human science fiction, Continuum yes but to those guys no.

DMC14
06-03-2013, 09:46 PM

lol i like revolution. i think defiance keeps getting better to. i didnt mind it at the start either.

DaMaJaDiZ
06-03-2013, 09:47 PM
People been fed a steady stream of crap on tv for quite sometime now. If baby sci-fi gets people to watch it, it can act like a gateway drug to the good stuff :)

And I wouldn't call Lost Girl or Being Human science fiction, Continuum yes but to those guys no.

You're missing the point. What channel are they on, and what is their target audience?
Defiance is so thin on the Sci fi it's humorous. But if you dollop a bunch of make up on anyone in the Brady Bunch cast, it'll pass as well. Or just add naughty things to do with blood, and you've got yourself a HBO hit.

chicksticker
06-03-2013, 09:54 PM
How about Alek he was made to look like such a badazz in the first episode. He was hissing at people,saying he was gonning to kill the chicks brother. Then skip forward to the hellbug episode and he is hiding behind his GF and saying thing like "Where's dad, we have to go back for him" like he was a 13 yr old girl.

Nyymi
06-03-2013, 09:54 PM

-Disjointed story arcs
-Minimal action

Pretty much every TV show nowday is flooded with drama, thats why i dont really watch any of them. Back in 90s TV series still had right amout of drama mixed with ohter genres, now those other genres are pretty much just a background setting and drama took the main role.

Last decent sci-fi series was imo SG:A as it had more of sci-fi and less drama, alot more techno babble and exploration than relationship/family drama concepts.

Space_Monky
06-03-2013, 09:55 PM
to each their own i always say.
i enjoy it and think the show is getting better with time and i have high hopes for the future.
i also think you are wasting your time or trolling though. why bother complaining on an official forum. most of us are here because we like it.

Space_Monky
06-03-2013, 10:04 PM
How about Alek he was made to look like such a badazz in the first episode. He was hissing at people,saying he was gonning to kill the chicks brother. Then skip forward to the hellbug episode and he is hiding behind his GF and saying thing like "Where's dad, we have to go back for him" like he was a 13 yr old girl.

fighting a human and say... fighting a tiger are two different things. i think most people would run from the tiger.
he's also a teenager, sure he is alien, but i think it's pretty universal that adolescents are strange creatures.

JonDav
06-03-2013, 10:04 PM
It's not horrible but it's not great. I watch mostly sports but was watching Defiance and Bates Motel for a few weeks. Completely lost interest in Defiance and was surprised by how much I enjoyed Bates Motel. With Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Bates on break, if it wasn't for The Glades season premiere, my tube wouldn't change from ESPN/TNT.

chicksticker
06-03-2013, 10:07 PM
fighting a human and say... fighting a tiger are two different things. i think most people would run from the tiger.
he's also a teenager, sure he is alien, but i think it's pretty universal that adolescents are strange creatures.

His GF had no problem standing up to a "tiger" he was hiding behind her.

Corun
06-03-2013, 10:12 PM
The TV series isn't nearly as hollow and disjointed as the game is.

A s0t
06-03-2013, 10:16 PM
There's sarcasm in there right? No one could possibly hate watching the exploits of Mr. White and Jesse!they are fine its the whiny kid and whiny wife. (get rid of mr white family) might have a show.

trsg

Lol! I thought the same thing!

Space_Monky
His GF had no problem standing up to a "tiger" he was hiding behind her.

so she's crazy, i know some crazy women. :p

chicksticker
06-03-2013, 10:31 PM
I do want the low rider that the Cathians are always cruizing around, in the game.

Daholic
06-03-2013, 10:40 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, but yours is pure stupidity. It just seems like you don't understand whats going on due to lack of IQ and are judging the show based off that. Everything about what you said is nonsense. The game is the game and the show is the show. They're set in the same world. It seems like you want it to be exactly like the video game, which is ******ed and nobody would watch it other than maybe you. Like do you want Irisa to tell Sukar to F off and go arkhunting with Nolan? Come on, bro.

You just are too dumb to understand the show, plain and simple. I'm sorry, I'm just sick of seeing these kind of reviews from people who clearly have no idea what the **** they're watching. You seem like an IMDB troll.

Well thanks for telling him he has the right to his own opinion before you started calling him "Dumb", and "Stupid".

Am I dumb and stupid since I found the show so uninteresting since I only watched the 1st episode and didn't even deem it worth the time to watch any other episodes.

That's just bad on your part. At least he gave it enough attention to dvr and watch it.

KeevanSixx
06-03-2013, 10:44 PM
so far, we've got 3 overarching story arcs...

Nolan and Arisas relationship.
Defiance and the E-rep.
the "kaziri", or "just "what" is buried under defiance?".

we get to see a little bit more of the Kaziri story arc in next weeks show.

and within all of these complicated webs, we've got about a dozen minor stories interwoven inbetween...

Nolan/Datak
Christie/Alec
McCaulley/Datak
Sthama/Everybody
Amanda/Nolan

and gratuitious six legged monkey crawls....

It's not difficult to follow....ya just gotta pick apart the story threads.

Dr Quin
06-03-2013, 10:47 PM

I had such high hopes for this show.

I talked a non-game player friend into watching the show ~ he watched the first three episodes back to back, called it a "soap opera" and hasn't watched it since.

Shtako
06-03-2013, 10:50 PM

-Disjointed story arcs
-Minimal action

Game turning around so now it's the show's turn? figures....

BrassRazoo
06-03-2013, 10:52 PM
I actually think the show is getting better.
But yeah, that is only like my opinion man.

Dr Quin
06-03-2013, 10:54 PM
There seems to be some confusion in how people are viewing the programming. SyFy hasn't been dedicated to sci fi for years. There have been shows here or there for the sake of legitimacy. But their programming mirrors the viewing habits you'd find in the demo for ABC more than anything else. To put it bluntly, they aren't making shows for the science fiction fan. They make them for the "viewing" demographic.

Yep, it went to crap the second NBC bought the channel. First thing they did was put wrestling on SciFi then changed the name to SyFy! dumb*****es

Mordexis
06-03-2013, 11:15 PM
I went into this show expecting a SF story, and the first episode didn't disappoint. Plenty of technobabble, fighting, lots of neat toys in a post-apoc setting. All of this with a pretty decent story wrapped around it, and a cherry of half-decent dialogue on top.

From there, well, it's sorely disappointed. It quickly devolved into a typical drama. Dull dialogue, hum-drum story, a strong feeling of been there, done that (oh yeah... The Walking Dead was the same thing...) and characters I simply just don't care about. Seriously, can they be any more transparent and one dimensional??

But, the single detracting factor for me, was the utterly terrible episode pacing. UGH. Huge conflict build-up, which leads to an utterly dull, extremely brief climax, which is usually resolved by some form of deus ex machina (oh, he *just* managed to pop in at the nick of time!). All of this followed by a quick aftermath, and a montage with some half-decent music.

Eh, overall, I'm not necessarily angry towards the show, but, there's a lot of detractions from the show for me... Maybe one day, when I'm really bored, I'll just watch a few more episodes. Til then... meh. Just not gonna bother with the show, and just stick with playing the game once in a while.

Zabuza
06-03-2013, 11:25 PM
If season 2 ends up being more stand alone episodes then I can agree, but until then I am taking this first season as an introduction to the characters and world.

Besides, anytime I see Julie Benz any flaws in the show just melt away...

A s0t
06-03-2013, 11:31 PM
ok i just watch episode 7 can someone tell me whats going on?? all i got was cry cry g-spot cry some one got shot cry nanotech cry cry or did that sum up the episode

oh and 2 minutes or razor rain

Malakai
06-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Besides, anytime I see Julie Benz any flaws in the show just melt away...

Amen brother.

Arsenic_Touch
06-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Advertised as a drama, yet people complain about the drama. Just boggles the mind. Reminds me of the people whining about not enough zombie killing in the walking dead.

Jackobite
06-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Advertised as a drama, yet people complain about the drama. Just boggles the mind. Reminds me of the people whining about not enough zombie killing in the walking dead.

I absolutely love The Walking Dead but I cant say exactly why, same with Defiance its a bit borderline but I cant put my finger on exactly why Im not thrilled with it.
Still I watch it, its not too bad, there are worse TV shows out there.

dude26212
06-03-2013, 11:49 PM
the title of this thread makes me think you are completely unaware of any reality tv show coming from mtv

Strahd
06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
so far, we've got 3 overarching story arcs...

Nolan and Arisas relationship.
Defiance and the E-rep.
the "kaziri", or "just "what" is buried under defiance?".

we get to see a little bit more of the Kaziri story arc in next weeks show.

and within all of these complicated webs, we've got about a dozen minor stories interwoven inbetween...

Nolan/Datak
Christie/Alec
McCaulley/Datak
Sthama/Everybody
Amanda/Nolan

and gratuitious six legged monkey crawls....

It's not difficult to follow....ya just gotta pick apart the story threads.

Don't forget the "ooga-booga Irathient god" hee hee (to soon?)

A s0t
06-03-2013, 11:57 PM
the title of this thread makes me think you are completely unaware of any reality tv show coming from mtv

when was the last time MTV actually played music videos????
and just for fun what was the very 1st video???
your prize: first person to answer gets 10 whole scrip on XBOX NA
(everyone one else SOL rule applies)

Zabuza
06-03-2013, 11:57 PM

"Those that shall not be named" Invoking their name only gives them power.

Wasn't MTV the same station that brought us Aeon Flux cartoon and That big blue dude that was awesome (max or soemthing) but I can't remember his name. Really WTF kind of cluster****bomb went off in there?!

Desolis
06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
The ignorance is strong with the OP.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
You wanna talk about things not making sense try watching L.O.S.T. Defiance will make perfect sense after watching that.

Arsenic_Touch
06-04-2013, 12:14 AM
You wanna talk about things not making sense try watching L.O.S.T. Defiance will make perfect sense after watching that.

Hey now, lost made perfect sense. They got off the island, then they got back on the island and then they got off again and finally went back. Like prison break, they got out of jail, went back to jail, got out of a jail and went back to jail. It's easy to follow man!

Space_Monky
06-04-2013, 12:24 AM

the M has meant Miscellaneous for a loooong time.

Rakshasa
06-04-2013, 12:26 AM

You don't even need to switch channels.

It indicates he's completely unaware of the dozen various permutations of "Night Vision Theater" on SyFy where people stand around in the dark saying "Oh! What was that? Did you hear that?" for an hour.

Or their other favorite, "Buff Guys in Spandex Dramatically Emoting and Grabbing Each Other in a Totally Not At All Homoerotic Way", which for some reason they abbreviate as 'WWE'. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't see how that's Science Fiction, unless their steroid intake is causing enough mutation for it to qualify.

If it'll move us away from that crap, I'll take all the Defiance and Being Human I can get. And I actually quite enjoyed Continuum. (And Lost Girl, though for completely different reasons that it's probably best not to get into.)

MacDeath
06-04-2013, 01:02 AM
So far, I've enjoyed watching every episode of Defiance. Sure, some episodes were better than others, but all were enjoyable. I thought this week's episode was one of the best. I do like drama, however, I can see how some people are hoping that it would be more action themed.

Please remember that most of the players outside of the US and Canada haven't seen episode 7 yet so lets keep the spoilers to a minimum, ok?

Skeety
06-04-2013, 01:35 AM
I liked this last show best of them all so far. Several shows tied for 2nd place with me but this last one had several twists that I didn't see coming until they happened. A religious situation was shocking. The old lady with her cut finger, she is a conniver! Two very close people now have a strong wedge that has come between them, I'm wondering what that means. Someone killed someone for the 1st time in their life, and then lied about the root object reason and I'm convinced that person is insane. A kid drove the mother to drink and she lost inhibitions, there's more to follow next week. I don't know what the mechanical was supposed to destroy, but the immediate repercussions were unexpectedly dire. Those who have seen it will understand what I'm saying, those who haven't won't until they watch it. It's worth watching! I liked the way this season is starting off for the show, I found it exciting and surprising. I hope they can keep it up.

Sithizen
06-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Tv Shows are like everything else....you're going to like it or dislike it. Since you don't like it, move along.

People create their own worlds and characters, their own story. If you have something to complain about, go make your own.

A s0t
06-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Tv Shows are like everything else....you're going to like it or dislike it. Since you don't like it, move along.

People create their own worlds and characters, their own story. If you have something to complain about, go make your own.

or reboot star trek (badly)

Littleweasel
06-04-2013, 01:49 AM
I agree with the character development for most characters.

Same with it being a drama.

But on continuity? Okay. Pay attention to the old lady.

And Irisa is a little shtako who needs to grow up.

i agree with you on irisa, she acts like a spoiled brat that allow has to have her way or she is pissed off at the world. i know it won't happen but i really wish she would get killed off.

MacDeath
06-04-2013, 02:36 AM
i agree with you on irisa, she acts like a spoiled brat that allow has to have her way or she is pissed off at the world. i know it won't happen but i really wish she would get killed off.
When I was a teenager I was a lot like her. Not the spoiled part but pissed off at the world. I grew out of it and she could too. Maybe next season?

Blackwolfe
06-04-2013, 02:50 AM
Sci-fi is a rather broad genre, it's not just one type of movies. It's many types of movies. You see, there is not just "sci-fi".. you have everything from regular old sci-fi action in space to on-earth set in the future sci-fi dramas, not to mention sci-fi horror movies and even.. sci-fi musicals (though I admit I don't know of any apart from what I found on google and those seem far between and typically terrible). I'd say Defiance is more in the way of sci-fi drama mingled with a bit of action and of course aliens. Not all sci-fi movies and tv series have aliens. Heck, some of them aren't even set that far into the future.

One could argue if Firefly is sci-fi and not just western set in space (which it is.. only it's not). And that's an awesome show!

melkathi
06-04-2013, 03:03 AM
There's sarcasm in there right? No one could possibly hate watching the exploits of Mr. White and Jesse!

The show is too boring to "hate". The characters leave me totally indifferent.

Uvirith
06-04-2013, 03:10 AM
I really like the show. But I am a fan of intelligent tv-shows. Too bad most of the audience is to dumb to follow a good show. Thats why Firefly, T:SCC and Stargate-Universe got canceled. All this shows require more than an IQ of 50. Just like Defiance. Unfortunately 80% of the viewers dont have that much brains.

theblackfrog
06-04-2013, 04:02 AM
imho falling skies would have been the better choice....never seen it before but there was a falling skies marathon last WE on syfy? or tnt? here in germany and it was better than defiance

TheLastDon
06-04-2013, 05:03 AM

What do you mean how does he get away with it? He's a crime boss. What do you expect? That happens in real life. Look at all these mafia guys. How long did Al Capone get away with murdering people? They NEVER arrested Capone for murder even when everyone knew he was responsible. Datak is also on the city council. He has political connections. Again, this happens in real life where a politician breaks the law blatantly and there are no repercussions.

TheLastDon
06-04-2013, 05:05 AM
I really like the show. But I am a fan of intelligent tv-shows. Too bad most of the audience is to dumb to follow a good show. Thats why Firefly, T:SCC and Stargate-Universe got canceled. All this shows require more than an IQ of 50. Just like Defiance. Unfortunately 80% of the viewers dont have that much brains.

I'm not sure it has to do with brains, but more patience. I really love how they are developing the lore, characters and world in the show. Today's society is all about instant gratification and seeing big explosions. It's sad.

hardy83
06-04-2013, 05:10 AM

I think she's just confused.
She has her foster dad Nolan, who has no idea about any of her races heritage or religion who she clearly care about.

Then her race, and their traditions and religion and the fact she really wants to learn about it, to figure out what she is.
To her she clearly thinks she's some kind of freak, and the only one giving answer was that guy who's now a vegetable and her people.

Is it annoying? I suppose, I can see how people see it that way. It's hard to write a teenager properly because they are pretty damn complex at that age. At face value teens are just annoying arse hats, but most of them just have no idea what's going on and are "feeling" things out physically and emotionally.

The famous example is Wesley Crusher. Who people hated because he wasn't written well.

N3gativeCr33p
06-04-2013, 05:13 AM
My feelings are exactly the opposite, it started off crap and has been getting better and better.

This is exactly how I feel.

TheLastDon
06-04-2013, 05:15 AM

-Disjointed story arcs
-Minimal action

First of all, the title of your post is completely asinine. I'm pretty sure the worst tv show in years wouldn't be renewed for a season 2. There are thousands of tv shows that don't make it to a season 2 so those would be the worst tv shows in years.

Disjointed story arcs? Can you give an example? I've found the story is pretty good. You will need to have some patience to let the stories flesh out.

Poor character development? Are you kidding me?! They develop characters VERY well. We know Amanda and Kenya's background now. We know Doc Yewll has some secret past we don't quite fully know yet, but we will. We know how Irisa was saved by Nolan as a small child. They are developing these characters nicely!

It's a sci fi drama. I don't think that's been any secret from the get go.

No continuity? Have some patience. They are busy developing characters now with a few teasers here and there about what is to come.

No connection to the game? You clearly aren't listening and/or paying attention. We know Nolan has a bounty on his head because of his actions in the game. Rynn has gone from the show to the game. Nolan and irisa have gone from the game to the show. This is all within 7 episodes. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for.

Minimal Action? If an action show is what you're looking for I'd move elsewhere. This show is a sci fi drama.

Relationships? I assume you're talking about stahma and kenya doing the dirty. It's all part of the drama. This will come back to bite her when Datak finds out about her cheating.

cesmode
06-04-2013, 05:17 AM

First off, I won't stoop to your level of name calling, derogatory comments, etc. Wheres the forum mod for this guy? I will just say that only children come onto the internet to bash someone else, especially one's opinion.

No, I dont need Irisa to go ark hunting. No, it doesn't need to be the same. But, especially in this case, since the game and movie are intertwined in the most unique way, I assumed they would be more closely related, and that just isnt the case. Like someone in this thread said: I dont need to see the bartender chick sleeping with someone different every other episode. Why? Whats the point? Its stupid "character" developments and twists that are making me just shake my head.

No Im not stupid, Im not an IMDB troll(I dont even go to that site), I probably have a higher IQ than you. I do have an opinion, I am entitled to it, and judging by the response this thread has garnered in less than 12 hours, Id say that my opinion is not alone. So go ahead and call me stupid, a troll, or bash me or anyone that has a negative view on the game or the movie. Theres a "name" for that too you know.

Mladenov
06-04-2013, 05:19 AM
I think the show have too much drama instead of action.

squidgod2000
06-04-2013, 05:19 AM
SG:U and Caprica were better than Defiance.

TurboSquid
06-04-2013, 05:23 AM
I'm stoked for Falling Skies, premiers next Sunday at 9pm eastern. Makes Defiance look like a high school play.

Mladenov
06-04-2013, 05:26 AM
I watched Falling Skies i think season 1, and i was not impressed.
Too much drama again...

cesmode
06-04-2013, 05:33 AM
First of all, the title of your post is completely asinine. I'm pretty sure the worst tv show in years wouldn't be renewed for a season 2. There are thousands of tv shows that don't make it to a season 2 so those would be the worst tv shows in years.

Disjointed story arcs? Can you give an example? I've found the story is pretty good. You will need to have some patience to let the stories flesh out.

Poor character development? Are you kidding me?! They develop characters VERY well. We know Amanda and Kenya's background now. We know Doc Yewll has some secret past we don't quite fully know yet, but we will. We know how Irisa was saved by Nolan as a small child. They are developing these characters nicely!

It's a sci fi drama. I don't think that's been any secret from the get go.

No continuity? Have some patience. They are busy developing characters now with a few teasers here and there about what is to come.

No connection to the game? You clearly aren't listening and/or paying attention. We know Nolan has a bounty on his head because of his actions in the game. Rynn has gone from the show to the game. Nolan and irisa have gone from the game to the show. This is all within 7 episodes. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for.

Minimal Action? If an action show is what you're looking for I'd move elsewhere. This show is a sci fi drama.

Relationships? I assume you're talking about stahma and kenya doing the dirty. It's all part of the drama. This will come back to bite her when Datak finds out about her cheating.

Maybe the title is too strong, sure :p

Disjointed Story Arcs:
-First episode starts off detailing the issues between races, and then the pending Volge(sp) attack. Nice battle at the end. The episode ends with Nicollete in that diner with Birch talking about sacrificing people for the greater good, but we don't know what that is. Awsome!
-Then we are lead into the depths of the earth where you see the old world (pretty cool) and they kill a few hellbugs! Yeah! Then the episodes lead into cross culture differences(Ok, this belongs here...), but then Irisa's visions and destiny. Then an entire episode dedicated to Irisa's "tortured" past. Mixed in there is a marriage proposal amongst two seemingly 16 year olds supported by the Tarrs(sp). We are also introduced to the E-Rep with that prisoner escort mission...and...poof, what happened? Then birch is killed and Raef's son is seeing his brother in hallucinations...

Im sure there are more but thats a lot of twists and turns. Its taking the audience in too many directions at once. Develop the characters, set the basic story and premise, hook your audience is with great dialogue. THEN get fancy with twists and different story arcs.

And the show needs a lot more sci fi.

ANTIDEAD
06-04-2013, 05:48 AM
The best episode so far was still the pilot. That felt like a mini-movie, with just enough character stuff, a tie-in to the game, and a climactic battle.

jasper murtagh
06-04-2013, 05:49 AM
I really like the show. But I am a fan of intelligent tv-shows. Too bad most of the audience is to dumb to follow a good show. Thats why Firefly, T.....hahaha thanks for the laugh Firefly fan.

Babydoll
06-04-2013, 05:55 AM
i like all the charaters except Irisa she cries to much and her story line is dumb. "Im the angel of death" blah blah blah. Not to mention she is ugly..why couldnt they spice her up like the dateks wife. I'll never forget his wifes charater in Spartacus. Oh yeah!!!

Reddd
06-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Every time Rafe (Graham Greene) is on screen, all I see is this:

Mr Crabby Tree - Skip to 4:00 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqFFDFzFy-g)

My fellow Canadians will understand what I mean.

edited: for a much better video scene

N3gativeCr33p
06-04-2013, 06:17 AM

Mr Crabby Tree - Skip to 2:50 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqFFDFzFy-g)

HAHAHAHAHAHA... hilarious! :)

Grimjax
06-04-2013, 06:21 AM
I've enjoyed the show mostly. My issue is the disjointed developement of the characters, I feel like I'm watching Eureka where Sheriff Carter in one episode would use common sense and past experience to save the day, and then watch the next episode where he seems to have become an idiot that is there only for comic relief.

Instead of the charcters developing into deep multilayered individuals, they are becoming whatever plot device is needed for that week's episode.

*Spoiler*

I really had issues with Nolan last night. He talks to the Doctor and finds out that there is a large piece of ship that is heading directly for Defiance. He's smart enough to realize that they are going to use all the gathered materials to try and transmit something to the ship.

Now lets put on the stupid cap, He gets to the Arch realizing that they are about to activate the device.

So he already knows the ship is going to impact in Defiance, what did he think them using the device was going to do?

Crash the ship into Defiance? It was already going to happen.
So them pressing the button was going to either not change Defiance getting hit by the ship or somehow cause the ship to not hit Defiance or nothing at all.

Out of those three outcomes none of them should have made him want to shoot a guy that has helped the town twice now or threaten to shoot a girl that he has raised as his own daughter.

I felt the entire scene was full of schtako!

PeterPolaski
06-04-2013, 06:22 AM
It's no Ghost Hunters but Defiance is pretty good ;)

ironhands
06-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Did you never see an episode of Craprica? Continuum? There are far worse out there lol

ralisti
06-04-2013, 06:35 AM
My biggest issue with the series, and even the game, is the lack of connection with today.

It is as though we are just suddenly plopped in the future with no history between today and the time the show starts. Why did the aliens come? Why was there a war? What happened to all the population of the planet (If the war was THAT devastating, people would STILL be talking about it)? There are highly intelligent beings still living, why has things not progressed beyond 'the wild west' stage of recovery?

The show has WAY to many holes for me to be able to suspend disbelief and get really into.

Calamintha
06-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Wow. People here seem to use the word 'drama' as a curse word. It must be an age thing.

Drake Payne
06-04-2013, 06:39 AM

worst Troll ever xD

Zugo
06-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Out of those three outcomes none of them should have made him want to shoot a guy that has helped the town twice now or threaten to shoot a girl that he has raised as his own daughter.

I felt the entire scene was full of schtako!

This is how I felt as well.

brandileigh
06-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Did you never see an episode of Craprica? Continuum? There are far worse out there lol

Aww I really like Continuum. Well actually I really like the kid in Continuum, most of the other characters could die and I wouldn't be hurt or anything haha.

ironhands
06-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Aww I really like Continuum. Well actually I really like the kid in Continuum, most of the other characters could die and I wouldn't be hurt or anything haha.

There's only one redeeming quality common to both Continuum and Craprica; Magda Apanowicz. Makes me wanna move back to Vancouver lol

Eltruism
06-04-2013, 06:49 AM
It's a good thing to develop to ability to not be critical, biased or opinionated when observing media. The entertainment and stimuli provided by it is just the fact that it is a new visual and emotional experience. Being critical, biased and opinionated about these things will ruin every experience.

Regardless, I enjoy the show every time I watch it, the only opinion I care to provide is that the climax and end of the show are too close together and it seems like they happen as the show begins.

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 06:51 AM

This is the thing here. I give SyFy some actual credit for at least not going all reality all the time like some other channels have-some that used to have intellectual shows on them or at least shows that taught me something by watching. It's just that the viewers are dumbing themselves down and show creators (especially reality) are going cheap. It's a lot cheaper to do Hillbilly Handfishin' than it is to create Continuum or Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole. Those reality shows that are unscripted are actually scripted by monkeys and many of them are being found to be frauds. But viewers don't care. Wanna see big bras, there's a tv show for that. Wanna see a large woman verbally abuse little girls and their idiot moms-there's a show for that. And people seem to get off on the train wrecks people are making of their lives.

If a show like Defiance succeeds it can lead to better things. It's a softcore SciFi show as opposed to the grittier Firefly which didn't make it. Just look at what happened with Star Wars (a movie that many hardcore SF people really didn't like that much)-because of its popularity other more science heavy SF movies came along for years. And Star Trek movies and new tv shows became possible.

I know Defiance isn't Star Wars, but don't overthink it. It isn't meant to be hardcore and wasn't really overly promoted as SF either. It was always shown as just stories taking place on an altered Earth. We're all too quick to have to label something in order to hate it when it doesn't fit our expectations of the label we placed on it. Just because Defiance is on the SyFy channel (never thought about why they changed their name), doesn't mean it's meant to be realistic hardcore science fiction. But at least it isn't Honey Boo Boo.

And Lost Girl is more like Fantasy with Being Human as the paranormal.

The unfortunate thing is that all of these things (SF, Fantasy, paranormal) get lumped together and are often respected far less by tv execs and even book publishers than some formulaic romance story. So, they don't like to spend a lot of money on them for elaborate sets and even topnotch writing. Even the first Star Trek series with its very low production values, cost too much money for the network.

ironhands
06-04-2013, 06:54 AM
It's a softcore SciFi show as opposed to the grittier Firefly which didn't make it.

Firefly was totally softcore, there were no sciency bits at all, nobody ever tried to vent the warpcore manifolds or anything, the engines just broke, and then got fixed. The only real space-y bit that comes to mind was running out of air, everything else was classic action-tv, and could have been recreated in any setting, from what I recall.

Wraieth
06-04-2013, 06:58 AM
lol i figured it out . With all the refrences to fire fly i know exactly what defiance needs.

More buffy and less castle 8)

Barrik
06-04-2013, 07:06 AM

This^^, a thousand times this. It's a drama with sci fi undertones mixed with some action. It's not really made for the "Firefly" audience that expects hard core sci fi. I enjoy the show, but I do think this last episode felt extremely clunky.

fmarin83
06-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Honestly, I'm getting tired of seeing Kenya with someone else every single episode. I mean we all know what her business entails- do we really need to see it in every episode? I understand that it's a TV show and for some reason they need to have sexual scenes, but this is kind of overdoing it.

You are sad. All i want is to see shooting, betrayal, and Mia Kirschner half naked.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 07:15 AM
This^^, a thousand times this. It's a drama with sci fi undertones mixed with some action. It's not really made for the "Firefly" audience that expects hard core sci fi. I enjoy the show, but I do think this last episode felt extremely clunky.

Firefly and hardcore sci-fi don't exactly go hand-in-hand :/ But calling Firefly hardcore sci-fi is like calling Buffy hardcore vampire :/ I like Joss Whedon and have enjoyed pretty much everything he's done, but he's not exactly renowned for hardcore or deep stuff, and I'm pretty sure Firefly wouldn't be half as popular if the series had of continued, hence the cult following.

Defiance isn't perfect, but it's not the worst either. I enjoy it, but then I have an odd taste in sci-fi .. but hey, I was brought up on Blakes7!

ironhands
06-04-2013, 07:16 AM
but then I have an odd taste in sci-fi .. but hey, I was brought up on Blakes7!

Reboot in the works......Can't wait. Loved that show, even the really lame heavily scripted jokes

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Firefly was totally softcore, there were no sciency bits at all, nobody ever tried to vent the warpcore manifolds or anything, the engines just broke, and then got fixed. The only real space-y bit that comes to mind was running out of air, everything else was classic action-tv, and could have been recreated in any setting, from what I recall.

Yes, I never said it was hardcore SF and didn't mean to imply I thought it was-I meant it was grittier in tone than Defiance and it was, maybe barely. I'm not saying it had more science to it or even reality within the future and science it showed. I was just trying to say that had people supported it while it was on the air and not after it was cancelled, it might have led to bigger and better things. Many of the popularistic quasi-sf or space shows like Firefly, Farspace, and so on, are not appreciated for what they are. Instead people keep wishing they were something else and they get all mad when they're gone. I'm talking about the perceptions of those in charge of providing shows we watch.

The point here is that tv execs are all about the bottom line. If they create SF (sort of) shows that keep failing, then they'll decide people don't want SF. They don't see that people want more and even better harder SF-they think people just don't want it at all.

BSG was more like Star Wars in being a space opera rather than really SF. But what execs see is that space and aliens and especially the future means SF. If they give us that and we say that's not quite right, then programming shifts to something that costs less and yields more.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Reboot in the works......Can't wait. Loved that show, even the really lame heavily scripted jokes

OMG! Seriously?

ironhands
06-04-2013, 07:18 AM
OMG! Seriously?

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/blakes-7/25155/blakes-7-reboot-goes-to-full-series-order

and SyFy's working with it

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 07:19 AM
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/blakes-7/25155/blakes-7-reboot-goes-to-full-series-order

and SyFy's working with it

Awesome! Cheers, you've made my day! :D

MagellanD
06-04-2013, 07:20 AM
If a show like Defiance succeeds it can lead to better things. It's a softcore SciFi show as opposed to the grittier Firefly which didn't make it. Just look at what happened with Star Wars (a movie that many hardcore SF people really didn't like that much)-because of its popularity other more science heavy SF movies came along for years. And Star Trek movies and new tv shows became possible.

Dude you know that Star Trek came 11 years before star wars right.
Star Trek 1964 (Pilots) 1966 Season 1 starts
Star Wars May 25th 1977

You got it backwards.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Star Wars May 25th 1977

You got it backwards.

I think he was referring to the movies - wasn't Star Wars movie a year or so before the first Star Trek movie?

fmarin83
06-04-2013, 07:25 AM
I absolutely love The Walking Dead but I cant say exactly why, same with Defiance its a bit borderline but I cant put my finger on exactly why Im not thrilled with it.
Still I watch it, its not too bad, there are worse TV shows out there.

Sometimes a show is better when you can see the full seson so you figure things out. I saw this with Arrested Development being canceled. I got to watch it in its greatness on Netflix, but i can see how people would've been lost with the show seeing just one episode a week.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Sometimes a show is better when you can see the full seson so you figure things out. I saw this with Arrested Development being canceled. I got to watch it in its greatness on Netflix, but i can see how people would've been lost with the show seeing just one episode a week.

This is definitely true.

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Star Wars May 25th 1977

You got it backwards.

Dude, did you miss the part where I said the Star Trek movies which came after Star Wars was released? Star Wars-1977. Star Trek the Motion Picture-1979.

I was alive when Star Trek the series was on tv and had to sit through it because it was my brother's favorite tv show and I thought it was really badly done. We had a 13 inch B&W tv, the only tv in the house and he got to pick one show to watch while I could pick one I liked. And I also saw Star Wars when it first came out, saw 2001: A Space Odyssey when it first came out (something that also helped to bring authenticity to mass consumed SF).

Please note the difference between the words "movies" and "tv series". The original tv series was on NBC and was cancelled by them because it cost too much to make and was not providing enough of a return. They always thought it cost too much and didn't get good ratings and so on. After Star Wars began production and started to create a buzz, and in the wake of its popularity, the Star Trek movies became successful and many other movies and tv shows came along, including the original Battlestar Gallactica (horrid). These things helped to make SF more profitable because they were popular.

Consider that the horrible original BSG also paved the way for the newer and better BSG.

Shogo_Yahagi
06-04-2013, 07:34 AM
It's not so much that the story arcs are disjointed, it's that there are multiple story arcs in progress. Sometimes the action for any given story is taking place on camera, sometimes it's not. The thing about good story arcs is that you don't see how they pay off until they pay off. Look at the new incarnation of the Doctor Who franchise for a really good example of this. Each episode can stand alone as a self-contained story and there are smaller payoffs from time to time, but then you get to the end of the season and BAM! Pieces you didn't even know were pieces fall into place. You go back and watch episodes again and see things that you didn't see before. Dialog takes on a second meaning in the larger context. Will Defiance do this as well as Doctor Who? Probably not, but this is their first season.

A few specifics?

Why didn't they follow up on the Volge attack? Because their one source of information was in a coma, and then he was missing. When they caught up to their one solid lead, he was trying to kill everyone with a nuclear meltdown. And then he was dead. I'm sure they would like to follow up on other things, but they're in the show. They're not watching the show. They don't know who else was involved in the plot, and frankly, other things keep coming up that they have to deal with. Also, we don't see what they're doing when they're not on screen. They may be trying to follow up on other evidence, but this isn't CSI: Defiance. If those other attempts to figure out what happened aren't moving a story forward, we don't need to see them. They did try to score a bunch of guns from the VC in case the Volge come back, but that ended badly because they didn't think to involve the Mayor or the Lawkeeper.

Why is the McCauley kid seeing visions of his dead brother? I don't know for sure but I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that he didn't throw Precious into Mt. Doom like Rafe told him to. He didn't have any visions before he started spending time with it, did he? The petroglyphs in the cave where they found the it showed a redhead holding two artifacts, but that's clearly a dead end, right? I mean, it's not like we know any redheads who have visions.

Speaking of... why can't Irisa use her visions to solve every problem? a) Because it's boring. "Hey, Irisa, who was behind the Volge attack?" *wibblevision* "It's the ex-mayor, Nolan. You should probably go shoot that gashika in the face." "Thanks, kid, I'll do that. You've certainly saved us a lot of trouble." More importantly, b) they've been pounding it into our heads since the very first episode that she doesn't control them. They just happen. Why? We don't know yet. Hopefully when we find out, it'll be something cool. Until then, they're doling out clues.

What happened to Wesley Tarr? Well, the short version is that characters often change between the pilot and the series. You use the pilot to sell the series, but the people buying it may have other ideas and you change things before shooting the rest of the series. The whole Arch radio DJ thing, for example, was specifically explained as a post-pilot retrofit in a Shooting the Shtako interview with the producers. Need an in-story explanation? Maybe he was just talking big because he was with his other Casti friends and didn't want to lose face. Maybe he acts differently around them than he does with others. Have we seen him hanging out with them again? We have not. We have seen him react to a skitterling by hiding behind his gf. We have seen him spend an hour whining about his gf asking him to confront his parents. My money is on Wesley being all talk and no action. Furthermore, Datak is a badass mob boss, and he has plans for Wesley. Wesley has plans that involve Christi's pants. That's two good reasons for him to cool his jets for a while and stay out of trouble.

Why isn't E-Rep involved in every episode? They have plans for Defiance, but they're a government--they have lots of plans. Governments take time to do things even when they're not on the East Coast and the transportation infrastructure between them and their objective is in a shambles. When one of their plans fails, it takes time to formulate a new plan and get assets into place to carry it out.

MagellanD
06-04-2013, 07:34 AM
I think he was referring to the movies - wasn't Star Wars movie a year or so before the first Star Trek movie?

So are you saying that the star trek series didn't lead to the movie?
it was 1979 but Sci Fi movies were out before Star Wars (War of the worlds 1959)...It was just insanely special effects innovative. (Im not disparaging star wars in the least)

However to say that Star Wars lead to Star Trek or the Star Trek movies is Wrong...Just wrong.

ironhands
06-04-2013, 07:37 AM
it was 1979 but Sci Fi movies were out before Star Wars (War of the worlds 1959)...It was just insanely special effects innovative. (Im not disparaging star wars in the least)

However to say that Star Wars lead to Star Trek or the Star Trek movies is Wrong...Just wrong.

IIRC the star trek movie was done because they were getting started on a new series, but it was cancelled before it got going, and they'd already created the new sets and uniforms. That just an urban legend?

MagellanD
06-04-2013, 07:39 AM
IIRC the star trek movie was done because they were getting started on a new series, but it was cancelled before it got going, and they'd already created the new sets and uniforms. That just an urban legend?

That I don't know (im not uber trekkie g33k) if true though would most definitely add to the point that it wasn't start wars that influenced it.

Plus it did lead to the best Star Trek movie before the reboot. Wrath of Khan.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 07:40 AM

I'm not saying that.. just said that's what he was referring to :P

Whether Star Wars laid the path for future Sci-fi films is a totally different discussion and there will be a million different views on it. I don't remember many (if any) big budget sci-fi films before Star Wars and whether that set a standard who knows, but I do recall dozens of lower budget sci-fi films and series, some of which were dire and some of which became classics and set a standard.

Conneri
06-04-2013, 07:42 AM
This is true, it wasn't Star Wars. Star Wars caused the scrapping of Star Trek the movie. Close Encounters brought it back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Motion_Picture

MagellanD
06-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Dude, did you miss the part where I said the Star Trek movies which came after Star Wars was released? Star Wars-1977. Star Trek the Motion Picture-1979.

I was alive when Star Trek the series was on tv and had to sit through it because it was my brother's favorite tv show and I thought it was really badly done. We had a 13 inch B&W tv, the only tv in the house and he got to pick one show to watch while I could pick one I liked. And I also saw Star Wars when it first came out, saw 2001: A Space Odyssey when it first came out (something that also helped to bring authenticity to mass consumed SF).

Please note the difference between the words "movies" and "tv series". The original tv series was on NBC and was cancelled by them because it cost too much to make and was not providing enough of a return. They always thought it cost too much and didn't get good ratings and so on. After Star Wars began production and started to create a buzz, and in the wake of its popularity, the Star Trek movies became successful and many other movies and tv shows came along, including the original Battlestar Gallactica (horrid). These things helped to make SF more profitable because they were popular.

Consider that the horrible original BSG also paved the way for the newer and better BSG.

I actually enjoyed both the original and New BSG (New was better).
I love cheesy old sci-fi cause I'm a bit old as well. I didn't see the original airing.

However my point still will remain that Star Wars did not influence the making of the Star Trek movies in the least.

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 07:46 AM

Are you even trying to read and understand what I said? I said Star Wars' popularity helped to make it successful and that's true. I lived through those times, did you? Prior to 2001 and Star Wars, SF was of B movie quality if that. Studios thought they were expensive to make (the movies and tv shows), and only popular with kids who didn't spend the money on advertised products or on the movies (at that time). It's why 2001 was really hyped and released in exclusive places before it came to the local movie theater. We had to go downtown to a ritzy theater in order to see 2001 when it first came out because it was the first SF movie really with that much effort put into it (and money). It was an event.

Star Wars proved that SF could be popular and profitable. The Star Trek series didn't prove that-trekkies were considered a joke and not understood by movie and tv execs and many thought they were just a bunch of kids and worse.

Star Wars changed perceptions.

And again you didn't read what I said-I didn't say Star Wars led to Star Trek (you keep saying this as if I think Star Trek the original series came after SW-read my effing posts).

I know what I'm talking about-I've been a SF fan for longer than I care to say. And prior to Star Wars my favorite SF movie (of all the B movies) was Forbidden Planet from the '50s.

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 07:49 AM
I actually enjoyed both the original and New BSG (New was better).
I love cheesy old sci-fi cause I'm a bit old as well. I didn't see the original airing.

However my point still will remain that Star Wars did not influence the making of the Star Trek movies in the least.

You are totally mis-characterizing what I said. And respectfully, you are wrong. Studio execs saw that SF could be profitable. SW proved that. In fact, ST: The Motion Picture was not that well-received by fans of the original series. Many felt it was too over the top effects-wise and not so focused on what they liked: the characters.

What did also convince producers was Gene Roddenberry kept pressing for it and the original series was popular in syndication, but SW proved to them that big budget SF motion pictures could make money. What also helped was the success of Close Encounters.

ironhands
06-04-2013, 07:51 AM
http://twoheadednerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/NERD-FIGHT.jpg

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 07:53 AM
And prior to Star Wars my favorite SF movie (of all the B movies) was Forbidden Planet from the '50s.

Bring back Robby!!!

ironhands
06-04-2013, 07:54 AM
And prior to Star Wars my favorite SF movie (of all the B movies) was Forbidden Planet from the '50s.

Leslie Nielson at his finest!

bigdirty
06-04-2013, 07:58 AM
@GRimJax, I think Nolan shooting Sukar actually made sense considering all we know. I mean, you never know what he could be doing up there trying to transmit to the ship. The Votan ships terraformed Earth and can do quite a bit of damage. He could've been trying to activate a bomb or some technology on board. Sukar's actions up until that point looked pretty nefarious and he is known to be a religious zealot. In almost makes sense to expect the worst. The Spirit Riders as a whole are still a bunch of raiders, albeit with a bit more morals and a sense of purpose.

First Nolan shoots him once to stop him and he wtfheals and continues the attack. I mean, if that happened to me i'd be pretty shocked and unload a clip as well to make sure he goes down.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 08:01 AM
I used to love War of the Worlds.. but that was a radio (album) series back in the day.. was amazing though.

Anyone remember UFO? And what about The Clangers, do they count as sci-fi?

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Leslie Nielson at his finest!

Yeah and sorry for getting so off topic. All I ever meant to say is that we as fans sometimes have to support stuff that isn't perfect in order to get tv execs to see that stuff we like is worth creating. If people had not supported the original Star Trek (and had supported Firefly when it was herem), and Star Wars, then tv and movie execs would have made different decisions. It's like the westerns of '50s and '60s tv. They were almost all that was on tv because people liked a couple of them. And it's like reality tv today-if one is popular, they make two, and so on until that's all that's on tv.

Eisberg
06-04-2013, 08:02 AM

Video killed the Radio Star

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 08:05 AM
I used to love War of the Worlds.. but that was a radio (album) series back in the day.. was amazing though.

Anyone remember UFO? And what about The Clangers, do they count as sci-fi?

War of the Worlds-book, radio show that sparked a panic, movie (another one I liked but that scared me as a kid), and another movie and then two incredibly bad movies with C. Thomas Howell, IIRC.

Dr. Who, still had low production values but good stories. A lot of British movies actually led the way but they were in limited release in the US (and sometimes only on late night tv many years after release-we did get the CBC though so I could see some of them earlier).

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Video killed the Radio Star

By the Buggles.

Mylo
but hey, I was brought up on Blakes7!

Roj or Avon?

Kalli or Soolin?

Servalan or Sleer?

=)

ironhands
They were almost all that was on tv because people liked a couple of them. And it's like reality tv today-if one is popular, they make two, and so on until that's all that's on tv.

also because they were insanely cheap to make. the cost/profit ratio is really high - not true with most sci-fi, and as a result, they often resort to using "cheap" actors, who can sometimes ruin the show.

MagellanD
http://twoheadednerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/NERD-FIGHT.jpg

Yup that's about it.

Mylo
06-04-2013, 08:07 AM
OMG! Seriously?

2nd reboot actually. 1st one failed some time back.

ironhands
06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Roj or Avon?

Kalli or Soolin?

Servalan or Sleer?

=)

there was one episode with Servalan and Avon locked up in a basement, it really seemed to me like something was brewing between them in that episode. can't remember the name, but it was towards the end.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 08:09 AM
War of the Worlds-book, radio show that sparked a panic, movie (another one I liked but that scared me as a kid), and another movie and then two incredibly bad movies with C. Thomas Howell, IIRC.

Dr. Who, still had low production values but good stories. A lot of British movies actually led the way but they were in limited release in the US (and sometimes only on late night tv many years after release-we did get the CBC though so I could see some of them earlier).

Dr Who went from awesome to dire show to show, but they did some amazing things considering that budget.. stopped watching it after the Tom Baker/John Pertwee years, especially once Sylvester McCoy (sp?) took over.. been tempted to watch it again of late though, but just couldn't bring myself round to it.

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 08:12 AM
also because they were insanely cheap to make. the cost/profit ratio is really high - not true with most sci-fi, and as a result, they often resort to using "cheap" actors, who can sometimes ruin the show.

Yes, exactly. The same thing was true of soap operas. My tv show choice when younger was Dark Shadows when I could get home in time for it. But, part of what killed it was it cost too much to make. Other shows were so cheap that they were almost all profit. It's why studio execs need to have fans telling them what they want, and the only way to do that is by supporting things that at least give us some of what we want.

Now, I like the show Defiance. I don't think it's the best of anything that's out there. But look at zombies-the Walking Dead has helped to spark this craze. I like the show and like the afflicted in this game, but the Walking Dead didn't spark this interest. It goes back to George Romero and even a renewed interest in Night of the Living Dead and then Dawn of the Dead and a continuing interest in monsters eating brains. The Walking Dead is the epitome of what can be done when the studio execs finally see there is money to be made. Best done zombie thing ever. But it took a lot of bad zombie stuff to get here.

MacDeath
06-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Mr Crabby Tree - Skip to 4:00 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqFFDFzFy-g)

edited: for a much better video scene
He showed a lot more emotion as the tree than he does as a mine owner.

Indra Echo
06-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Dr Who went from awesome to dire show to show, but they did some amazing things considering that budget.. stopped watching it after the Tom Baker/John Pertwee years, especially once Sylvester McCoy (sp?) took over.. been tempted to watch it again of late though, but just couldn't bring myself round to it.

Yeah, my brother had his favorite Dr. Who too and Tom Baker rings a bell. I sort of found it all comical, especially the Daleks. But, the idea of them was actually pretty good.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Roj or Avon?

Kalli or Soolin?

Servalan or Sleer?

=)

Roj of course and Soolin definitely.

But, OMG! I don't remember Sleer :/ Servalan was awesome though lol.

Argh! Now I need to go buy the series, so I can re-watch it before the reboot :/ You guys!!!!

Mylo
06-04-2013, 08:15 AM
there was one episode with Servalan and Avon locked up in a basement, it really seemed to me like something was brewing between them in that episode. can't remember the name, but it was towards the end.

actually that was servalan and tarrant. and it was about the sand.. decent episode. I have many of them, but for some reason, I like season 4 the best, followed by season1. not sure which was my least favorite of 2 or 3..

ironhands
06-04-2013, 08:17 AM
actually that was servalan and tarrant. and it was about the sand.. decent episode. I have many of them, but for some reason, I like season 4 the best, followed by season1. not sure which was my least favorite of 2 or 3..

was it? it's been years.

Loved the last episode though, couldn't ask for a better ending :P

Mylo
06-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Roj of course and Soolin definitely.

But, OMG! I don't remember Sleer :/ Servalan was awesome though lol.

Argh! Now I need to go buy the series, so I can re-watch it before the reboot :/ You guys!!!!

Sleer was servalan... but she couldn't be associated with that because servalan was supposedly dead/deposed.

I have most of them on vhs. would love to find some decent dvd's of them.

Mylo
06-04-2013, 08:18 AM
was it? it's been years.

Loved the last episode though, couldn't ask for a better ending :P

aaugh. yes. great cliffhanger.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Sleer was servalan... but she couldn't be associated with that because servalan was supposedly dead/deposed.

I have most of them on vhs. would love to find some decent dvd's of them.

Oh? See.. shows how long ago since I watched it (first time round for my sins) :/

ironhands
06-04-2013, 08:24 AM
aaugh. yes. great cliffhanger.

cliffhanger? seemed pretty final to me :P
you were still talking about blake's 7, right?

Racheakt
06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
I like the show, my one complaint is there are too many relationships/plots vying for your undecided attention.

I am still tracking, but my wife was like done (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xiWw5dwngc) 2 episodes in.

take another show on sci-fi called Continuum (Good show, dislike the political message, been giving it a go to see if it delivers or is another political hack show), it has many relationships as well but the main plot is specific and defined and not drowned out by the every day stuff. Also it developed the main plot better, and dropped in the twists as the season progressed.

The first season is always hard, and there will be adjustments for the second season i hope; my advice: drop the end show cover song, only use it when you have wrapped up a long story arc, kinda like a epilogue.

Mylo

the Reboot of the franchise has been pretty much ok.. but this most recent season really left a bad taste in my mouth. admittedly, it is bad when some of the best moments do NOT involve the doctor or his companion... but his friends.
I understand there was supposed to be character development, but honestly, when the ponds left, it was great to see him crushed, but I don't see the chemistry between him and that clara woman. and I really don't like that Matt's worst season was to be his last ( unless they have some episodes in the can somewhere...) so we get a new doctor AND a new exec/cheif (moffatt is also departing) (unconfirmed but alluded to) for xmas after the 50th.

but I am looking forward to the 50th!

CrazyBard

Can't of been :/

Eisberg
Wow. People here seem to use the word 'drama' as a curse word. It must be an age thing.

yup. I think the kids now days just want Michael Bay shows

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 08:30 AM
yup. I think the kids now days just want Michael Bay shows

Who's Michael Bay? :/

Grimjax
06-04-2013, 08:30 AM
@GRimJax, I think Nolan shooting Sukar actually made sense considering all we know. I mean, you never know what he could be doing up there trying to transmit to the ship. The Votan ships terraformed Earth and can do quite a bit of damage. He could've been trying to activate a bomb or some technology on board. Sukar's actions up until that point looked pretty nefarious and he is known to be a religious zealot. In almost makes sense to expect the worst. The Spirit Riders as a whole are still a bunch of raiders, albeit with a bit more morals and a sense of purpose.

First Nolan shoots him once to stop him and he wtfheals and continues the attack. I mean, if that happened to me i'd be pretty shocked and unload a clip as well to make sure he goes down.

Actually Nolan has every reason to believe Sukar would not do anything to harm Defiance.

1st: He helped the town during the Volge attack. They could have easily sat back and raided the place afterwards.
2nd: He helped track his own adopted daughter because she was having the hellbugs attack people in town.

Is Sukar a little rough around the edges, yes. Did he kill anyone while gathering the materials for the device, nope.

The point is the whole Arch scene where he gets shot is so full of crap, and made no sense except to make the plot work for this episode.

Like I said before they use Nolan like they did Jack Carter in Eureka, his personality, skill set, and common sense change depending what they need for the plot that episode.

Edit: plus even if Sukar was trying to detonate a bomb on board the space ship how was that going to be worse than the ship already going to hit Defiance...

Phrase Universe
06-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Honestly, I'm getting tired of seeing Kenya with someone else every single episode. I mean we all know what her business entails- do we really need to see it in every episode?

She's runs a whorehouse, what else are you expecting from her? Brownies and milk?

BTW. Yes, I do want to see her in sex scenes every episode.

ironhands
06-04-2013, 08:35 AM
the Reboot of the franchise has been pretty much ok.. but this most recent season really left a bad taste in my mouth. admittedly, it is bad when some of the best moments do NOT involve the doctor or his companion... but his friends.

which is why Matt Smith quit :P

Hope499
06-04-2013, 08:35 AM

Same here.

I found episode 1 kinda boring lol, but have been enjoying it more.

Mylo
06-04-2013, 08:37 AM

yes. cliffhanger.
avon's smiling (the one where he knew something/had an ace in the hole), darkness and single shot, followed by many shots..
who was being shot? would Blake REALLY betray them? (if that was indeed Blake?)
Servalan had her moments with Avon, and she really respected his drive and cold calculating nature, would have loved to work with him, as there was no longer a travis...
so many possibilities.

Racheakt
06-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Actually Nolan has every reason to believe Sukar would not do anything to harm Defiance.

1st: He helped the town during the Volge attack. They could have easily sat back and raided the place afterwards.
2nd: He helped track his own adopted daughter because she was having the hellbugs attack people in town.

Is Sukar a little rough around the edges, yes. Did he kill anyone while gathering the materials for the device, nope.

The point is the whole Arch scene where he gets shot is so full of crap, and made no sense except to make the plot work for this episode.

Like I said before they use Nolan like they did Jack Carter in Eureka, his personality, skill set, and common sense change depending what they need for the plot that episode.

Edit: plus even if Sukar was trying to detonate a bomb on board the space ship how was that going to be worse than the ship already going to hit Defiance...

Nolan is the town cop, we have a man who has stabbed one, beat up the town doctor, taking control of a hunk of space-junk headed for the town, suddenly damage resistant, totally irrational, and is attempting to tie me up?

Ya you shoot him.

As it turns out he was already dead (mostly) and was just a meat-puppet of the nanite ark-brain.

ironhands
06-04-2013, 08:39 AM
yes. cliffhanger.
avon's smiling (the one where he knew something/had an ace in the hole), darkness and single shot, followed by many shots..
who was being shot? would Blake REALLY betray them? (if that was indeed Blake?)
Servalan had her moments with Avon, and she really respected his drive and cold calculating nature, would have loved to work with him, as there was no longer a travis...
so many possibilities.

avon i expected got away, but, IIRC, Blake didn't betray them, he was working them from the inside and the others didn't know, so Blakes plan couldn't be completed. That's what I remember, anyway.

Eisberg
06-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Star Wars May 25th 1977

You got it backwards.

Notice how he said Star Trek Movies and New TV Shows?;)

Riz
06-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Its not a bad show.. Its not a good show either. Hard to see the crossovers between show and game so far. Ok, we had Nolan and Irissa ingame. Then Rynn crossed over, we saw a few hellbugs. Nothing more, even the plague-thing ingame doesnt make much sense to me right now.

I like the show, more as a Sci-Fi-Drama, but its ok. The characters vary from poorly executed (Amanda, Alac, the deputy-guy) to pretty good (Datak's wife, Irissa). Love the game though, and am at least glad they sometimes put something new in it. Enjoyed the Sieges last night, so... yeah... Conclusion so far: game and show have not much in common till now.

Mylo
06-04-2013, 08:47 AM
avon i expected got away, but, IIRC, Blake didn't betray them, he was working them from the inside and the others didn't know, so Blakes plan couldn't be completed. That's what I remember, anyway.

I'm a little fuzzy on the blake aspect as well, other than that he turned them in in that episode. honestly, the single shot followed by the many I think is telling. almost like a signal for a counterattack. cause all the troopers surrounding avon, even if they shot, they wouldn't have kept shooting like that. more like some unseen peoples took out the troopers. but that is all conjecture. Terry Nation never said.

have been hoping for a reboot for a while. really hope that this one goes through.

TurboSquid
06-04-2013, 08:47 AM
If Defiance was remade into a multi million dollar tv show like The Walking Dead, It would be the greatest show ever. Awesome concept + low budget + bad acting = fail. Now if we can replace two of these factors we would get a much better result. If Michael Bay was working with Defiance, just think of how much better it would of been xD.

CrazyBard
06-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Its not a bad show.. Its not a good show either. Hard to see the crossovers between show and game so far. Ok, we had Nolan and Irissa ingame. Then Rynn crossed over, we saw a few hellbugs. Nothing more, even the plague-thing ingame doesnt make much sense to me right now.

I like the show, more as a Sci-Fi-Drama, but its ok. The characters vary from poorly executed (Amanda, Alac, the deputy-guy) to pretty good (Datak's wife, Irissa). Love the game though, and am at least glad they sometimes put something new in it. Enjoyed the Sieges last night, so... yeah... Conclusion so far: game and show have not much in common till now.

Yeah hoping for more cross-over, but I like what's been in it so far and there's occasionally little things that catch my attention - like hearing Varus mentioned and I'm like "Oh! I've done missions for him!", or seeing an episode that partially mirrors a co-op or something and going "Done that mission too!" - at which point my wife usually looks at me like I'm one of the aliens off the series :/

More will be great, but so far so good.

bigdirty
06-04-2013, 08:52 AM

I re-watched the confrontation and Sukar comes off like a total religious wackjob. Sukar says and I quote "Irzu's blood flows through us and if for some reason he chooses to destroy Defiance, it is for the greater good." Doesn't sound very reassuring! Considering the situation, Nolan chose the right course of action dealing with a religious fanatic ready to die for his cause and take the town with him.

As for not killing people, he almost shot the storekeeper who ran to help his friend as well.

Eisberg
06-04-2013, 08:54 AM
If Defiance was remade into a multi million dollar tv show like The Walking Dead, It would be the greatest show ever. Awesome concept + low budget + bad acting = fail. Now if we can replace two of these factors we would get a much better result. If Michael Bay was working with Defiance, just think of how much better it would of been xD.

If Michael Bay was working on Defiance it would be a really shallow show with lots and lots of explosions. His movies are just good popcorn flicks, high on action and not much else, but entertaining enough to watch. But him doing a series, would fail very fast, because it would be so shallow and just have lots of explosions, which going by some posts here, that is what the kids want.

Valekrin
06-04-2013, 08:57 AM
I enjoy the show and I'll continue to watch, but the lack of proper side boob (especially during lesbian scenes) has me worried about this show's future.

Grimjax
06-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Nolan is the town cop, we have a man who has stabbed one, beat up the town doctor, taking control of a hunk of space-junk headed for the town, suddenly damage resistant, totally irrational, and is attempting to tie me up?

Ya you shoot him.

As it turns out he was already dead (mostly) and was just a meat-puppet of the nanite ark-brain.

The totally "irrational" one tries to tieup a guy that just shot him. If he had planned on destroying the town why waste the effort of trying to tie Nolan up, just shoot him.

Also he was being repaired by the nanites, he was never just a meat puppet. The nanites gave him guidance but did not take over.

Mylo
06-04-2013, 09:01 AM

actually, no. he doesn't.
there was nothing about the ship mentioned until doc yewell said that the pieces taken from her lab were interfaces for communicating with a ship, and that there was a ship in orbit above the cloud.

nothing about how a ship was definately crashing, but that if it DID crash into defiance, it would be the end.
classic miscommunication. sukar was unable to express what he was doing, and nolan was acting on the misinformation that sukar was going to ram the ship into the town.

what I found interesting is the dynamic of him placing his daughter above the town, and when her trust in sukar was validated, it made her hate him a bit more for not trusting her to begin with... be interesting to see how that plays out.

abakai
06-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Really? Michael Bay should be put to death for crimes against film making.

brandileigh
06-04-2013, 09:10 AM
If Michael Bay was working on Defiance it would be a really shallow show with lots and lots of explosions. His movies are just good popcorn flicks, high on action and not much else, but entertaining enough to watch. But him doing a series, would fail very fast, because it would be so shallow and just have lots of explosions, which going by some posts here, that is what the kids want.

Razor rain falls in slow motion over Nolan and Irissa and a chunk of ship crashes into a building right infront of them. Irissa pulls one of her knives out and leans over to Nolan and says "Shtako just got real". That's what would happen lol.

I pretty much agree with everything this person said, I'd argue that Defiance is far better than a good chunk of his movies because they manage to have even less substance.

ironhands
06-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Razor rain falls in slow motion over Nolan and Irissa and a chunk of ship crashes into a building right infront of them. Irissa pulls one of her knives out and leans over to Nolan and says "Shtako just got real". That's what would happen lol.

with dubstep.

bigdirty
06-04-2013, 09:18 AM
I'd hope the initial Michael Bay comment was tongue in cheek. lol

Terb
06-04-2013, 09:43 AM
I tried to watch... got mocked by my 16 yr old son for watching... then the wife walks in, looks at the tv, looks at me, shakes her head and walks back out. /doh

3d Plague
06-04-2013, 09:44 AM
i think the show has potential however the current focus seems to be setting up the back-story of every character which is nice but doesn't tie in with the game at all.

so far in game out of all the episodes only 2 had a real connection to the show. 1 with nolan and nerissa on their way to defiance which was nice since they actually use an item in the show that u had seen them acquire in the game.
the second i was disappointed with since it had no tie in to the game other then the character had just escaped nolan's custody. and the "husband" of the emc rep that went with her was nowhere to be seen.

i was expecting a weekly tie in for every episode that airs and between seasons have random smaller data recorder hunting ones.

i still enjoy the game but honestly i only watch the show just in case i might miss the tie in i was expecting.
i just wish the tv show had more actual ark hunting. 99er mayhem and dark matter appearances.

DariusCalera
06-04-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm finding the show less and less enjoyable with each episode. I almost turned off the most recent episode because I felt that it was shallow, poorly written, and poorly researched.

There are characters that have the potential to be interesting, along with a few story lines, but I feel that they are trying to throw too much, and too fast, into each episode and as a result the writing, story lines, and character interactions are suffering because they can not seem to focus.

If next weeks episode is as bad as this one was then I will not bother watching the rest of the season. Granted, losing one viewer isn't that big of deal, but I don't think I'm alone in my disappointment of the show.

Frantic Poet
06-04-2013, 10:10 AM
It's not even the worst sci-fi show this season. That award goes to NBC's, Revolution. That show is awful.

By far the best new sci-fi show is, Orphan Black.

Racheakt
06-04-2013, 10:44 AM
I'd hope the initial Michael Bay comment was tongue in cheek. lol

I will never forgive him for Pearl Harbor, I wanted a war movie I got the damn English Patient.

DeadCynic
06-04-2013, 02:51 PM

So sad and so very true. Anybody remember the Friday the 13th series about the cursed antique shop? Outer Limits? It's just not the same amazing channel I grew up with.

DariusCalera
06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
So sad and so very true. Anybody remember the Friday the 13th series about the cursed antique shop? Outer Limits? It's just not the same amazing channel I grew up with.

I remember Friday the 13th series and I recently managed to watch a few episodes of it again. Wasn't nearly as good as I remember it being. Probably because I got older, but it was still watchable.

Though, when you think about it, Warehouse 13 is basically that show with the scary removed and replaced with goofy. Still like both of them.

Jett Loc
06-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I'll watch this over Honey Boo Boo, any day!

Yun
06-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Let's break it down the main thing behind all the episodes is this "Artifact" and whatever the schtako it's intended purpose is. The Volge attack was orchestrated by Birch and Nicolette or quite possibly a group of people or whoever they are working with all for this artifact.

The Volge were meant to scare Amanda and the rest of Defiance out of town so that the 2 could search for this Artifact for whatever. I doubt The Volge were meant to be a main source of Antagonists as they were rarely seen during the Pale Wars and went into hiding after the Pale Wars.

It just baffles me that people say this show is going toward Schtako when that award goes to Contiuum and/or Star Gate Universe. Heck Syfy's Lost Girl was decent the first 2 seasons and I think have gone extremely downhill since. The Show is advertised as a Syfy Drama not action just because the game and show interconnect does not mean that the show has to be Syfy Action along with the game.

abakai
06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Defiance is not only good but it is good, old school, real science fiction.
Sci-Fi should not and never should be about special effects and action.
Sci-Fi should be a story that, at its heart, allows us to look at the things in our world from an outsiders perspective and lets us see these thing objectively. Thing like love and hate, politics and religion, life and death.

One of the greatest sic-fi stories in my opinion is Asimov's The caves of steel a detective story with robots that, at its heart, is really a story about prejudice racism. ****'s Do androids dream of electric sheep is a treatise on what it means to be human.

This show has all the hallmarks of classic sci-fi. It allows us to look at the things that permeate our everyday lives and the world around us through driven, compelling but above all intelligent story telling.

Covington
06-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Sci-Fi should be a story that, at its heart, allows us to look at the things in our world from an outsiders perspective and lets us see these thing objectively. Thing like love and hate, politics and religion, life and death.

This show has all the hallmarks of classic sci-fi. It allows us to look at the things that permeate our everyday lives and the world around us through driven, compelling but above all intelligent story telling.

http://rlv.zcache.com/true_dat_grasshopper_true_dat_tshirt-p235230193703190360qd6f_400.jpg

Why Classic Who tastes better than 'new who'.

Nefarious
06-04-2013, 04:00 PM
The "relationships" that formed in the most recent episode. You know what Im talking about. What in the hell does this have to do with ANYTHING SCI FI?!

Stahma is slowly sinking her claws into Kenya. For reasons unknown but no doubt to gain some edge on her sister/mayor later.

Not a chance in hell Stahma all of sudden has become a homely mother and miss piggy is the one to suddely open up the Ice Queens heart. Nah, Stahma is a manipulative master mind.

KOLZ
06-04-2013, 04:01 PM
lol I stopped watching the show all together after episodes 5 disgusting and stomach turning ending. I was enjoying the show enough to keep watching ti due to it being related to the game but after that I just stopped all together.

SteveMND
06-04-2013, 04:11 PM
To put it bluntly, they aren't making shows for the science fiction fan. They make them for the "viewing" demographic.

QFT. They haven't been making shows for scifi fans since, well, since they rebranded themselves to "SyFy" in an acknowledged attempt to widen their viewer base.

That said, I've had no big beef with the show. It, like the game, is an average product with some good, if currently unrealized potential. Personally, I think the whole Irisa story arc is by far the weakest of the ones there, but maybe that's just because i like a little more science in my science fiction, and less fantasy. At least this latest episode explained away some of the 'ooga-booga religion' (heh) with some technobabble about nanobots.

I've found I enjoy the show a lot more if i just kinda suppress all the Irisa stuff, but the fact that the show's "bible" is full of plotholes is starting to show through, and they'd best have some clever storywriting later on to patch those those apparent gaps in a believable manner.

bigdirty
06-04-2013, 05:08 PM
A big part of the problem is the SyFy channel. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "who watches SyFy anymore?". They've damaged themselves so much in the eyes of genre fans by becoming a network known for wrestling + **** ghost shows + and pirahnaconda vs sharktopus vs gatorpython B movies. When you're on a network with 95% ****, you get guilt by association criticism. It isn't a network that carries respect like say AMC, Superchannel or HBO.

Ultimately, if Defiance doesn't succeed past its second season I hope another network or even Netflix picks it up and runs with it. I'm enjoying the hell out of the show now, but I think some concerns people have are legitimate.

Yun
06-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Ghost Hunters is a decent show and was around while it was still Scifi channel. I admit they have been going overboard however lately on all the paranormal knock offs and various other shows as of late. Then again I guess it's similar to how tech tv or whatever became G4 and now Esquire. What bothers me is a lot of their good shows have been ending up only being about 4 seasons on average which has me worried.

Assasino
06-04-2013, 05:58 PM
You say "Worst TV shows in years" i would disagree with that like others have. There are shows that are ten fold worst then Defiance like example Big Brother, different category but that show is crap and yet each year they roll out with a new one. That was just a quick example at the top of my head
I like the show but wish Joss Whedon would of been aboard. (Firefly was one of my fav shows)
Perhaps had it been a different network the show would be more Sci-Fi and actually out here it is played on showcase, at first i was like really?
People are free to their opinion so as so the above was mine

KOLZ
06-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I would of kept watching it if I didn't get sick to death with the ending of episode 5. Now the way game of thrones episode 9 ended I completely loved and will watch it over again. But for this show was I done from the moment I saw the ending of episode 5 and could care a less if there is 10 seasons or more.

DariusCalera
06-04-2013, 09:19 PM

Lately any science that they have put into their show has been very badly done. They don't seem to be putting any actual thought into what they are putting down on paper. Seems like they have a board of ideas that they just throw darts at in put into the show without understanding what those ideas really are.

One of the greatest sic-fi stories in my opinion is Asimov's The caves of steel a detective story with robots that, at its heart, is really a story about prejudice racism. ****'s Do androids dream of electric sheep is a treatise on what it means to be human.

For the most part I would agree, except for the part about this show having intelligent story telling. It doesn't.

It has had, so far, a very mangled story telling style. They are trying to throw too much into each episode, with most of the stuff being thrown in being superficial crap at best, and the story is suffering.

Don't get me wrong, I think that some of the characters have potential, but the writers are going to need to slow down a bit and actually concentrate on developing their ideas instead of using the aforementioned dart board.

Anatol
06-04-2013, 09:26 PM
wtf? why you wrote this post on TRION forum? TRION doesnt make TV show:D why did you even create topic like this? if I dont like something I dont watch it but I dont come to forum and create topic like this OMG... This just say how low IQ you must have.

chicksticker
06-04-2013, 10:09 PM
wtf? why you wrote this post on TRION forum? TRION doesnt make TV show:D why did you even create topic like this? if I dont like something I dont watch it but I dont come to forum and create topic like this OMG... This just say how low IQ you must have.

Why not come to the forums and disscuss the show/game with people who actually watch it and know what you are talking about? If you dont have anything to add to the thread don't click on it. There is no reason to bring up the OP's IQ you are just being a ****!

Leold
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I would of kept watching it if I didn't get sick to death with the ending of episode 5. Now the way game of thrones episode 9 ended I completely loved and will watch it over again. But for this show was I done from the moment I saw the ending of episode 5 and could care a less if there is 10 seasons or more.

What was in episode 5's ending that had you so unnerved? I agree Game of thrones episode 9 was great, but I read the books a long time ago so I'd have been unhappy if it was anything less than what it was.

Anatol
06-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Why not come to the forums and disscuss the show/game with people who actually watch it and know what you are talking about? If you dont have anything to add to the thread don't click on it. There is no reason to bring up the OP's IQ you are just being a D:ck!

really? the WORST TV SHOW this year isnt discussion topic lol :D its only flame topic from hater flamer omg....maybe you have lower IQ to when you defend this topic

KrypAl
06-04-2013, 11:50 PM
I am going to totally disagree on this one...I am loving the series!

Best show since Terra nova

Commandermech
06-04-2013, 11:53 PM
I love defiance such an amazing show that gets better with each episode
I put this show up their with trueblood and the killing.

Toolatetotalk
06-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Sorry but I had to just chim in and tell the OP I think he wacko

A s0t
06-04-2013, 11:57 PM

forgot about terra nova time travel and dinosaurs??

badassary
06-05-2013, 12:08 AM

Troll level: 9000

A s0t
06-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Troll level: 9000

now read what part of why its boring.

sons of anarchy was real good

aeryk117
06-05-2013, 12:17 AM

I disagree with the OP as well - I very much enjoy Defiance the TV show.

diggergig
06-05-2013, 12:20 AM
I disagree with the OP as well - I very much enjoy Defiance the TV show.

Me too, although I find it helps to watch just while zoning out with a game or something. I couldn't just sit and watch, like with Game of ******.

Oh, ****** is too rude, huh? My bad.