PDA

View Full Version : why don't our characters talk?

Mike Boccher
06-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Besides our ego, why do our character just stand around and say nothing? We were people injected with the nanites for ego so why not talk? What Am I missing? The new dlc promises a new voice for our character yet we have no voice now

Grit
06-04-2013, 05:42 AM
the ole Silent Protagonist man..that's all there is to it.

Why pay a voice actor when they can just make a character "strong and silent"

Combo Breaker
06-04-2013, 05:44 AM
the ole Silent Protagonist man..that's all there is to it.

Why pay a voice actor when they can just make a character "strong and silent"

They said something about being able to change the voice for your character with the new DLC. That would be mainly for emotes though.

If I can pick any voice my chick will sound manly.

MagellanD
06-04-2013, 06:01 AM
Besides our ego, why do our character just stand around and say nothing? We were people injected with the nanites for ego so why not talk? What Am I missing? The new dlc promises a new voice for our character yet we have no voice now

They decided to save on a voice actor for the protagonist in oder to put the money into actual game development. It was a great investment.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/482/779/adc.gif

Covington
06-04-2013, 06:04 AM
My character gets paid to talk - they couldn't afford her. :p

Grit
06-04-2013, 06:22 AM
this game doesn't really need a speaking protagonist anyhow.. i mean.. BioWare took the cake with a player controlled speaking protagonist.. Commander Shepard!! Dragon Age: Origins the warden commander was silent..which was a bummer but in DA2 we got Hawke...

this game your charcter is nothing but a tool to get a job done...tools don't need voices. the eviroment doesn't hinge on what he or she says...hell it doesn't even recognise the character as a she when a female character is used lol....

Grimjax
06-04-2013, 06:32 AM
People would complain about how the voices sounded and how they did not match their character. I played SWtOR and felt shoe horned into designing characters that matched the voice. It also can get expensive unless you have one of the people in house do the voice acting.

You will have people that want it and some that will think it detracts from the game. I'll be fine with them just having multiple voice styles for emotes.

MagellanD
06-04-2013, 06:34 AM
this game doesn't really need a speaking protagonist anyhow.. i mean.. BioWare took the cake with a player controlled speaking protagonist.. Commander Shepard!! Dragon Age: Origins the warden commander was silent..which was a bummer but in DA2 we got Hawke...

this game your charcter is nothing but a tool to get a job done...tools don't need voices. the eviroment doesn't hinge on what he or she says...hell it doesn't even recognise the character as a she when a female character is used lol....

Indeed! The best point of character being a tool is the amount of crap we take from Volus and still have to work for that raging d.ouche nozzle.

Makes me wish I had picked up that broom and just went all janitorial.

Grit
06-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Indeed! The best point of character being a tool is the amount of crap we take from Volus and still have to work for that raging d.ouche nozzle.

Makes me wish I had picked up that broom and just went all janitorial.

If that were Mass Effect i woulda triggerd the RT Renegade Option and just punted Volus down a mineshaft....

MagellanD
06-04-2013, 06:37 AM
If that were Mass Effect i woulda triggerd the RT Renegade Option and just punted Volus down a mineshaft....

It wouldn't have gotten to the R option. I would have just had a whole bunch of un finished quests.

Stormborne
06-04-2013, 07:47 AM
My friend noticed this. I think it's because they just insert the char you choose and it was too much work to add in separate voices.

Grit
06-04-2013, 07:50 AM
and more expensive.. gotta pay dem actors/actresses

MagellanD
06-04-2013, 07:57 AM
and more expensive.. gotta pay dem actors/actresses
You really only need two.
Like Mass Effect it's weird watching my wife play with a different custom character but have the same voice however...it can be done.
Then again...Size. Mass Effect is two disks. this game could not do that because of it's MMOish type of gameplay

Grit
06-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Yeah it'd be rough for the MMO plus you'd need Human and Aliens voices for defiance..

Eh, no matter what my Shep looks like I expect to hear Mark Meer or Jennifer Hale speak... odd thing is Jennifer Hale did work on this one Avengers Cartoon as Ms. Marvel... now hearing Commander Shepard talk and it's not Commander Shepard threw me off lol!!

In Dragon's Dogma your character doesn't speak either....same as Kingdoms of Amalur... perhaps only Bioware can pull off the "RPG" speaking protagonist thing right lol

PeterPolaski
06-04-2013, 08:02 AM
"I'm glad you're around."
"Help!"
"You're a fine shooter."
"You couldn't pay a hellbug to bed you!"

Your character does speak, you just haven't found the emotes menu :)

MagellanD
06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
"I'm glad you're around."

"You're a fine shooter."

Your character does speak, you just haven't found the emotes menu :)

And that's the list for both Cheer and GREET! lol