PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: AI Director for coop maps

Wtflag
06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
I have seen quite a few players remarking that coop maps are very static and predictable and get boring fast. I agree with them. The maps are generally well done in my opinion but there isn't any surprises left after the 20th run.

What I am suggesting is to have an AI director like left4dead.

Ok, AI director is a bit too fancy a name for this, which is simply that; if the players are doing a little too well and clearing a little too fast, their threat level gets high and the AI director will consider adding more mobs or even multiple mini bosses to the later part of the map dynamically.

Imagine the "oh sh!t" moments when the cocky players were just crushing all opposition and talking about how easy the map is when not one, but three tankers come out to play. And if they had to extract a few times, the threat level does down and the rest of the map goes back to easy mode.

Of course additional rewards might also be given for clearing the map at higher threat levels.

I believe this suggestion would greatly enhance the experience for all players of all skill levels at a fairly low development cost. So instead of making harder maps to cater only to the hardcore players and leave causal out in the cold, or making easy maps and leave the hardcore groups bored, we can all play the same map and your performance determines its differculty and the rewards.

J_matt
06-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Not sure if they could add an ai system like thar i.to the game but wot they probably could do is do an advanced version of the coop maps. Which could mean harder enemies different layout as in the structures are changed and the route is slightly changed maybe to make it more interesting

Wtflag
06-05-2013, 06:30 PM
I believe it is a very simply matter of "popping in" more mobs.

Most maps have areas where enemies comes out of doors, cars etc. Just dynamically adjust the spawn size to the amount of threat rating the players have.

And the threat rating could be as simple as a counter which increases for each damage the players deals and decays over time. So for example, if the average player damage is 50K over 5 minutes, a group which does 70K over 5 minutes will accumulate threat rating and more mobs will be spawned at the next area. If they clear the bigger mob faster, their threat level goes even higher. But if the next area is too hard, the time taken automatically goes up (due to dying and trying cover etc) and the average damage drops, so the threat rating does down and the next area's difficulty drops.

I believe this idea will provide for a far greater range of player skill levels than just having one or two versions of the same map at higher difficulty. That idea is ok, but it segments the queue making it harder to form a team, something which I dislike.

A s0t
06-05-2013, 06:33 PM
I have seen quite a few players remarking that coop maps are very static and predictable and get boring fast. I agree with them. The maps are generally well done in my opinion but there isn't any surprises left after the 20th run.

right what why i speed run them and d4rk fallen cant figure it out

Hardlight
06-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes, more enemies = more fun. And if the servers can handle 50+ people at an arkfall, I’m pretty sure it can handle more enemies.

Saboteur 6
06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
I think you might be oversimplifying how easy it is to develop and implement something as dynamic as an AI Director that can tailor itself to the ability level of the team. An interesting idea though as co-op instances lose their appeal pretty quickly.

Wtflag
06-05-2013, 07:41 PM
I accept that there will be work involved.

But the amount of "content", in terms of increased replayability, is probably very good compared to other means of adding content.

After all, left4dead just has the same few maps but has kept millions entertained to widespread acclaimation by the same formula.

I would love it if high level teams need to plan their builds and weaponry and have a leader that tells them "ok team, today we are going to try for stage 6 rewards. We need two denotators for the hellbugs, one sniper for the murdocks, and I will run healing. Standard sidearm is FRC SAW or Wolfhound 6. We need to get pass area A1 within 10 minutes for area A2 to start spawning extra hellbugs to get enough threat level for area A2 to spawn ..."

For the causal random pubs, they can run the exact same map with zero planning and any random weapon as it currently is now.

Wtflag
06-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Bump

/10char

jbob spittlewop
06-05-2013, 11:03 PM
I've been in some where the mobs were ridiculously durable and powerful and others where they were the same hum drum mobs we all know. I just assumed it was gauged by the ego rating of all players.

A s0t
06-05-2013, 11:07 PM
I would love it if high level teams need to plan their builds and weaponry and have a leader that tells them "ok team, today we are going to try for stage 6 rewards. We need two denotators for the hellbugs, one sniper for the murdocks, and I will run healing. Standard sidearm is FRC SAW or Wolfhound 6. We need to get pass area A1 within 10 minutes for area A2 to start spawning extra hellbugs to get enough threat level for area A2 to spawn ..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZ50qAQrpccouldn't resist