PDA

View Full Version : All these hotfixes are NOT hotfixes.

Ambic
06-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Hotfixes are applied to live running servers. Just thought I'd point that out to the developers who label server-side patches with downtime as a hotfix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotfix

ncanning
06-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Did you even read the whole wiki before you posted? Obviously not....

Zemenar
06-06-2013, 10:05 PM
1) You're using Wikipedia as your "reliable" source.
2) You didnt read all of it obviously.
3) Like it says in your "proof" against Trion right under the heading of: Vendor-specific definition:
"A hotfix is a change made to the game deemed critical enough that it cannot be held off until a regular content patch. Hotfixes require only a server-side change with no download and can be implemented with no downtime, or a short restart of the realms" - short being a relative term, and although thats Blizzards defn, its a common one used by other MMOs.
4) What was the point of this thread?

Bored Peon
06-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Let me get this straight.

They fix something in the game and you complain?

Save yourself some time and just quit playing now. You are just looking for an excuse to quit from the sounds of it.

Wtflag
06-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Code base changes during runtime (ie while server is up) would be very dangerous even if the technology is supposed to be available.

I wouldn't want to risk my character getting messed up.

Linamaria
06-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Hotfixes are applied to live running servers. Just thought I'd point that out to the developers who label server-side patches with downtime as a hotfix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotfix

Hmm... Ok... *shrugs* :rolleyes:

Murzin
06-07-2013, 03:02 AM
ok, nobody in their right mind does hotfixes while the servers/service is live.

there is a mechanism in programming to handle it. i have usually heard it called "system reflection and refraction" and its based on the principles of light. it is extremely dangerous. and can suck up resources. in fact it requires you to double everything.

first you do reflection.

you make a copy of whatever your bounds are as you iterate through all resources.

then you refract it.

you take the live code, modify it to the new data, and migrate the live data to the post-change settings.

and it is far safer to do this when you lock the data ( make it non-changeable ). this means that once you do the reflection, the data will not change through the refraction process.

then on the other side post refraction, you unlock the data.

the best way to do this is to setup 3 refraction processes per section of data, and require the output of all 3 "tests" to match or you start over for that data set.

now imagine trying to do this while people are running around killing things getting xp and completing quests.

you are just inviting data corruption.

does it make sense yet why this is a bad idea?

if not, be glad then that nobody seriously does this. i have gone through services that tried it, and it may work fine every once in a while, when there is a problem, its a doozy.

CrazyBard
06-07-2013, 03:14 AM
Let me get this straight.

They fix something in the game and you complain?

Save yourself some time and just quit playing now. You are just looking for an excuse to quit from the sounds of it.

This.

I get we went through a couple of days with very little complaining just recently, but are you that desperate to find fault that you need to comment on a company's definition of hotfix? I think you need to understand about how software works, and learn the differences between code on disk and code in memory, before commenting further about hotfixes.

Burncykle
06-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Don't think i've ever encountered a company stupid enough to apply ANY kind of new code to live running servers. they are usually down at least 5 minutes depending on the scope of the service they provide. Applying new code to live servers is just begging for a week of downtime and headaches as the chances of all data being corrupted are high.