PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Customer Support and Communication

The Mung Bard
06-06-2013, 11:16 PM
I understand that MMOs fundamentally come with a myriad of technical problems and hurdles to overcome. I have been playing them as long as they have been around, and the same problems crop up time and again, in various guises. However, the MMOs that survive (and even thrive) are those that actively engage their user base and keep them informed of what is going on.

It boggles my mind that Trion does not take a more proactive stance in addressing these issues (not the technical issues; the customer support side). I oversee a system that supports about 50,000 users, 1/20th the size of the 'active subscribers' that Trion claims are playing Defiance. If one of my servers goes down, I am immediately informed by our network monitoring personnel, and, regardless of where I am, what time it is, etc., I immediately take the time to post the outage to our social media outlets, inform our help desk of the issue and do whatever I can to assuage the concerns of my users. I have found that, generally, no matter how long the outage or how bad the situation, as long as I am forthcoming to my users and manage their expectations, the majority of them are understanding and willing to work with me or wait out the problem without too much complaint.

That is all I expect of companies like Trion, whose users number exponentially larger than my little bailiwick. Just let us know what is going on; treat us like we matter. If you do, we will stick around and play your game, because it is fun (when it works). If you don't, well, there are always other avenues of entertainment available.

BigBallsMagee
06-07-2013, 12:00 AM
hey supernerd, who cares. I like how fast they reply to my issues that i have addressed to the support desk. I've never seen any other company that I know reply in 1 or 2 days of my addressed issue. They care and I know because they listen to us when we see the problem or bug that is well known or less likely known.

PS: It's just a game... deal with it or don't play it at all.

Christm77
06-07-2013, 04:22 AM
The Mung Bard don't heed the troll, he's probably just mad about being ignored.

I agree 100% with what you said, like with virtually everything in life, communication is key.
And and for Tirion's fast support responses, 9 days & counting so far on my ticket.

Enundr
06-07-2013, 06:49 AM
well i think the issue comes down to how their used to be GMs and such IN GAME , then because of how they would intereact with ppl some ppl started getting childish and started threating lawsuits and scare other MMOs from even attempting this. just a guess though , i mean as annoying as wow is , their used to be actual GMs in the game , not CR ppl that they have now that just give you copy paste responses. if this is true im sad for the developers of any mmo and would serioulsy laugh at anyone that takes the ppl having a hissy fit seriously and wastes time and $ on them. i miss there actually being GMs in games.

DejaVooDoo
06-07-2013, 08:19 AM
I have found that, generally, no matter how long the outage or how bad the situation, as long as I am forthcoming to my users and manage their expectations, the majority of them are understanding and willing to work with me or wait out the problem without too much complaint.

This, a thousand times. They could get away with so much failure if they just acted like decent people and acknowledged it, promised to fix it, and kept us updated on progress until it's done. Most of the "haters" on these forums don't hate the game. We hate the dishonesty, disrespect, lack of knowledge, and lack of effective communication from the devs.

stormbringer328
06-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Communication is necessary. Beyond that they need to not **** us around with messages tooting their own horn when we all know, even them, that room for improvement is an understatement. They seem delusional at times. Communication and honesty. Period. I'm not mad when an update takes well beyond their estimated hour (like 10hrs), its the complete lack of respect for telling it like it is. If its gonna take 5 hrs, tell us! We'll take it a a lot beter than repeatedly telling us another hour 8 hrs later.

hey u
06-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Well yesterday I was cleaning my barbecue and told my friend who came over I would be done in a hour I'm sure of it. 5 hours later and he is like wtf and I'm left telling him hey man I thought it would be a hour but it was worse then I thought and once u start cleaning a bbq u don't stop until it is finished.

I can see Trion looking a problem saying ok server down for a hour. Then they get up in there mess around with it and somehow mess more things up by mistake. So now they have to go back in and make it all fit together now. A unexpected delay. Same as with airports. Only yesterday did I come to this way of thinking.

Hope499
06-07-2013, 09:11 AM
hey supernerd, who cares. I like how fast they reply to my issues that i have addressed to the support desk. I've never seen any other company that I know reply in 1 or 2 days of my addressed issue. They care and I know because they listen to us when we see the problem or bug that is well known or less likely known.

PS: It's just a game... deal with it or don't play it at all.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/7876/pony2a202c27dd51694ada9.jpg

DejaVooDoo
06-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Well yesterday I was cleaning my barbecue and told my friend who came over I would be done in a hour I'm sure of it. 5 hours later and he is like wtf and I'm left telling him hey man I thought it would be a hour but it was worse then I thought and once u start cleaning a bbq u don't stop until it is finished.

I can see Trion looking a problem saying ok server down for a hour. Then they get up in there mess around with it and somehow mess more things up by mistake. So now they have to go back in and make it all fit together now. A unexpected delay. Same as with airports. Only yesterday did I come to this way of thinking.

I'm betting you didn't completely ignore your friend between hours 1 & 5. I'd also bet that if, during that time, he/she asked what was taking so long, you probably explained what unexpected thing happened and why it was causing it to take longer.

Also, you were the person both cleaning the grill and communicating with your friend. If the CMs responsible for communicating with us are the same people physically working on the servers, that is a personnel problem that trion should fix. There's nothing difficult about assigning one of (still, after layoffs) dozens of employees to keep on top of the forums/twitter/facebook/etc.

Gratty
06-07-2013, 10:21 AM
This, a thousand times. They could get away with so much failure if they just acted like decent people and acknowledged it, promised to fix it, and kept us updated on progress until it's done. Most of the "haters" on these forums don't hate the game. We hate the dishonesty, disrespect, lack of knowledge, and lack of effective communication from the devs.

That deserves an AMEN