PDA

View Full Version : First impressions so far:

Volkon
03-24-2013, 06:32 AM
OK, first off I'm having fun. I really am. I've been playing Guild Wars 2 exclusively for the past six months (and still will, love it), but this has been a refreshing breath of air. So rather than a tedious paragraph of opinion, I'm just going to list positives and negatives I see at this point in Beta. (Note: I pre-purchased now, I'm enjoying it enough that I went for it. Digi-deluxe too. ;) )

Although the side missions are in line with the archaic "quest-bang" structure, they've still been fun.

Cons:

NPCs make the world seem static. When they talk, their mouths don't even open. There are two old guys drinking, using the exact same animations at the exact same time mirroring each other, and their hands are empty. Give the NPCs life! Give them chatter, chat, large paths to walk on. Have them go home at night, or to work! Have them get caught in events on the way and need help. Maybe have them become vendors for little trinkets, mods, skins, if you help them through various events, then after awhile pack up and be on their way. NPCs make or break the life of a world. These make the world feel static and dead.

Movement could benefit from a strafing, using "Q" and "E" for that. If it's there, I haven't found it. But... it's not that bad and not impairing.

Needs more "critters" in the world... all there really is are bad guys and bugs. A little more mutated fauna, maybe more ambients to give a more living feeling... that would go far.

No fall damage. Well... can't really say "pro" or "con" on that... I've been a bit silly with insane jumps and all, but fall damage does keep you well grounded.

Exiting the game is a pain in the posterior on the PC. Took me forever to find it. Buried under "F6"? Odd place to put it.

World needs a little more polish... found a few floating trees and the like, not many though.

Endless rolling. OK, that's just a little weird... but I'm used to GW2 which has an endurance on rolling so you can't do it forever. Of course, when you roll in GW2 you have a temporary invulnerability too, making it more tactical. Hmm... that could play well here, something to consider.

"Emergencies" need work. I love the dynamic aspect to them, that's a great start, but they're always at the same place. Have them be more active... a band of raiders roaming, going from farm to farm for example leaving havok. Maybe even have them chain? If they take over a farm, they control it from everyone until the players clear the farm. If the players don't. the raiders could maintain a base there and send raids to other farms from there. (Yes, like GW2 dynamic events... those really give a world life!) They're still fun, so this is very weak on the con and also a pro, just my opinion on them.

Pros:

The combat is fun. It really is. I'm having a blast. It's very active, no locked in archaic "role" structure.

The vehicles, oh man, I'm really having fun with those. MORE! Needz more carz!

Arkfalls... I like them. We haven't seen many types, hopefully there are more to come to keep things rolling. I'm curious to see what the rewards will be when implemented.

I know it looks like a lot more cons than pros... don't let that fool you. I'm having a blast, it's a lot of fun. Being Beta, it's silly to get too critical, but then again this close to release you have to wonder how much more there is to be seen. Now, ArenaNet held a lot back before release of GW2, that could be the case here. But from what I've seen so far, well, I consider it a must buy personally. It's a lot of fun. I'd try and ramble on, but the patch is done installing and there are bugs out there...

dreadburn
03-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Guild Wars 2
GW2
GW2
GW2
GW2,

So you like GW2? ;) only joking

Some interesting points there, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the chat feature as a con. I've played for about 10 hours and I still haven't worked it out.

"Emergencies" need work. I love the dynamic aspect to them, that's a great start, but they're always at the same place. Have them be more active... a band of raiders roaming, going from farm to farm for example leaving havok. Maybe even have them chain? If they take over a farm, they control it from everyone until the players clear the farm.

I haven't played GW2 , but I have played Rift extensively and my fav bit in it is a Major invasion, where the zone is taken over by the mobs. So I have high hopes for Trion with this.

Being Beta, it's silly to get too critical,

Beta is the perfect place to be critical, thats what it's for. I know it's only a representation of what the released game could be, but without good constructive criticism and positive suggestions on what the player base would like and dislike....... I lost track of where I was going with this point but I hope you get my meaning? :o

Rush
03-24-2013, 09:17 AM
you should post this great thread in the Beta Feedback section..:D

Calebrus
03-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Movement could benefit from a strafing, using "Q" and "E" for that. If it's there, I haven't found it. But... it's not that bad and not impairing.
This is a shooter, which uses slightly different controls from a standard MMO.
In mouselook mode (which all shooters use) A and D don't turn you, they strafe. You turn by using the mouse (hence the name mouselook). So strafe is already there, you just use it instead of keyboard turning. Test it out and you'll see. Putting it on Q and E would be redundant. The only time A and D are used for turning is when you're driving, because a vehicle can't strafe.

Santana Ortega
03-24-2013, 11:08 AM
I will list the CONS

Biggest is having to pay for upcoming content. It should be free unless it is an actual expansion.

The chat system is useless. The game seems to be pushing for VOIP, Mumble TS and the others. Simple as that
Problem is what happens when you have random people that want to group up with you...how do you communicate.
Maybe the chat system is fine and there is not need to beta test it this go around...but I sure would have liked to have seen it.

The UI manipulation is terrible. Seems it was designed for Consoles. The PC keystrokes are all over the place and need to be remapped. Not a biggie but should have been thought out better.

No true straffing, that is a problem.
The constant ability to dodge roll is a problem, needs to have a cooldown, even if it is just 2 seconds.
Crouching is great, would like to see a prone position.

Too much ammo in the Beta. That might change and I hope does as since the country is borked the ammo should be hard to get, as well as gas for the vehicles.

I do not see a reason for alts. That can be good or a bad thing.

I have gotten stuck in building rubble and walls a few times but that is not such a big deal but it is a pain

My biggest beef is the death system they have in place. Yes having the E Heal is a nice feature and even the X respawn someplace is fine. It is the lack of circumstance of dying that bugs me. Dying only effect the money in your pocket, of which I expect will not be an issue. There is no gear damage that you are repairing. Weapons should damage, gear, since there are no stats on gear there is nothing to repair, that leaves EGO...there should be a physical repair cost to EGO when you die, one you have to go someplace and pay to fix. Just having EGO tell you that it cost X credits to fix and subtracting it is not good enough.

The PROS

The game seems fun and I hope does not become too repetitive in a week when everyone is maxed out and there is no place to go and nothing to do other then repeat content Arkfalls.

I have no issues playing as it appears the game is streaming as opposed to actually on my computer. Might just be since it is beta.

There are a couple graphical blocking issues but nothing game blocking when traveling, that is a plus.

Targeting and Shooting is ever so off but close enough to be accurate.

The game is fun and I do enjoy it...too bad my guild is stuck in GW2 as I will be going it alone it seems.

dreadburn
03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
I hope does not become too repetitive in a week when everyone is maxed out and there is no place to go and nothing to do other then repeat content Arkfalls.

Please tell me what maxed out is? From what I have read max EGO rating is around 5000 which is probably gonna take a fair while

Santana Ortega
03-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Please tell me what maxed out is? From what I have read max EGO rating is around 5000 which is probably gonna take a fair while

Your view and my view on maxed out are the same..but to me awhile is a month 2 max. 1st expansion or whatever they are calling it will have been released by then. Then that content will be done within a week...

That is what I mean by maxed out. EGO and all. Not everyone will be, but as with all games not just MMO's there has to be something to do when you have done all that has been offered or the game stagnates.
If the game relies on story that is fine, but...
Repetitively doing the same thing over and over to get what???
Guns do not scale, Gear does not scale, Mods might and EGO might, but both will need to be expanded upon fairly quickly.
If that is enough then great...but to have all this talk about the game and the TV show being somewhat related is BS other then using the same background for story and such.
Either does not rely on the other and neither effects the other.
If the game and TV show actually effected the other then we would have something to look forward to.

If the game...puts out only what we have seen so far, just on a greater scale the gameplay becomes boring...Harder hitting bosses with more HP is poor design. Relying on more players to kill a specific boss is one thing but if weapons and EGO do not expand or progress with those bosses then the game becomes dull.

This is all I am saying. I do like the game enough to buy and play. But I worry that the game could become dull after the given content has been completed...just like any other game.
This is not HALO or GoW or any of the multitude of co op shooters where a group of 5 friends would face off against another in PvP...this game is supposed to be an MMO not just a co op online game.

Pasha
03-24-2013, 02:59 PM
You missed A&D buttons for strafe =) This is story to tell to grandchildren. If they'll understand what "keyboard" is...

FYI you can sit into another person's car if you are in the same group - or you can have a passenger.