PDA

View Full Version : Trion Background, People, and Challenges

Radon
06-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Being addicted to this game and looking for a distraction to my stress related to the latest issues, I decided to do a little research on the company and the people who make this game possible for us to play. I have over 25 yrs of finance background, and researching companies is a part of what I do. It is amazing what is public record, if you know where to look. Keep in mind, I am not posting this as a source to use to negatively attack or spam anyone at Trion. Rather, it has given me a greater understanding of the the company, the people, the game and their challenges, as they work to provide us with an entertaining source gaming. I have found that the people behind the company and the game are no noobies to the industry, rather, they have some impressive backgrounds. The investors are no slouches, either. I come away gaining more patience for their efforts and the challenges they face. I am hoping it will do the same for you. We can either be a part of the problem, or a part of the solution. I intend to stick around.

Trion Worlds, Inc. (Founded 2006)
1200 Bridge Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94065
(650) 631-9800

Lars Butler, Founder & CEO
- former VP at Electronic Arts
- former VP at Carlyle Group (private equity)
- PhD in Engineering from Dortmund Univ and MIT
- MBA from Harvard Business School

Keith Winter, COO
- former studio head at Electronic Arts
- BS from Pepperdine
- MBA with Honors from University of Texas

Nicholas Beliaeff, Sr VP Development
- former studio head at Sony Online Entertainment (SOE)

Chris Yates, Sr VP Technology & Platform
- formerly with SOE
- formerly with EA
- former VP of Research & Development at Virgin Interactive

John Burns, Sr VP & GM Europe
- former VP & GM at Atari
- formerly with EA
- formerly with Activision

Mark Rizzo, Sr VP Opperations
- former Exec VP at NCSoft
- former VP at Sony & SOE

Chauncey Gammage, Sr VP HR

Noah Maffitt, Sr VP Global Marketing
- former Exec VP & GM at LiveNation

Kelly Conway, VP Legal & Bus Affairs
- formerly with SOE

Investors/Business Partners:
Time Warner, Comcast Ventures, Bertelsmann, Rustic Canyon Partners, Trinity Ventures, DCM, Ontario Teachers Pension Fund, HP

Programming Outsourcing Partners:
Fire Forge

The employees, whose names I will not list here but many of which are easily available along with their positions, background, and team members, come from many of today's successful gaming companies and their experience is extensive. Companies like Sony, SOE, Electronic Arts, NCSoft and BioWare, are just a few that compose their staff.

Also, here is a very interesting article on what Trion Worlds is most likely battling behind the scenes. Many of our issues could be attributed to these attacks, if malware or other things have been imbedded by this or other squads. http://www.cnbc.com/id/100635037

So, before you go off on another rant against Sledgehammer70 or Myll_Erik, keep in mind that they are just people, too, trying very hard to feed our insatiable, ADD driven, immediate-returns appetite for a cutting edge gaming experience.

See you at the next Arkfall or Siege.

Mike Peifer (h00tz69) a.k.a. Draven Fireblood

YardSaleJesus
06-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Being addicted to this game and looking for a distraction to my stress related to the latest issues, I decided to do a little research on the company and the people who make this game possible for us to play. I have over 25 yrs of finance background, and researching companies is a part of what I do. It is amazing what is public record, if you know where to look. Keep in mind, I am not posting this as a source to use to negatively attack or spam anyone at Trion. Rather, it has given me a greater understanding of the the company, the people, the game and their challenges, as they work to provide us with an entertaining source gaming. I have found that the people behind the company and the game are no noobies to the industry, rather, they have some impressive backgrounds. The investors are no slouches, either. I come away gaining more patience for their efforts and the challenges they face. I am hoping it will do the same for you. We can either be a part of the problem, or a part of the solution. I intend to stick around.

Trion Worlds, Inc. (Founded 2006)
1200 Bridge Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94065
(650) 631-9800

Lars Butler, Founder & CEO
- former VP at Electronic Arts
- former VP at Carlyle Group (private equity)
- PhD in Engineering from Dortmund Univ and MIT
- MBA from Harvard Business School

Keith Winter, COO
- former studio head at Electronic Arts
- BS from Pepperdine
- MBA with Honors from University of Texas

Nicholas Beliaeff, Sr VP Development
- former studio head at Sony Online Entertainment (SOE)

Chris Yates, Sr VP Technology & Platform
- formerly with SOE
- formerly with EA
- former VP of Research & Development at Virgin Interactive

John Burns, Sr VP & GM Europe
- former VP & GM at Atari
- formerly with EA
- formerly with Activision

Mark Rizzo, Sr VP Opperations
- former Exec VP at NCSoft
- former VP at Sony & SOE

Chauncey Gammage, Sr VP HR

Noah Maffitt, Sr VP Global Marketing
- former Exec VP & GM at LiveNation

Kelly Conway, VP Legal & Bus Affairs
- formerly with SOE

Investors/Business Partners:
Time Warner, Comcast Ventures, Bertelsmann, Rustic Canyon Partners, Trinity Ventures, DCM, Ontario Teachers Pension Fund, HP

Programming Outsourcing Partners:
Fire Forge

The employees, whose names I will not list here but many of which are easily available along with their positions, background, and team members, come from many of today's successful gaming companies and their experience is extensive. Companies like Sony, SOE, Electronic Arts, NCSoft and BioWare, are just a few that compose their staff.

Also, here is a very interesting article on what Trion Worlds is most likely battling behind the scenes. Many of our issues could be attributed to these attacks, if malware or other things have been imbedded by this or other squads. http://www.cnbc.com/id/100635037

So, before you go off on another rant against Sledgehammer70 or Myll_Erik, keep in mind that they are just people, too, trying very hard to feed our insatiable, ADD driven, immediate-returns appetite for a cutting edge gaming experience.

See you at the next Arkfall or Siege.

Mike Peifer (h00tz69) a.k.a. Draven Fireblood

None of these people have an easy job and have all worked hard to get to where they are. Their game has my support.

Luffy490
06-09-2013, 11:36 AM
None of these people have an easy job and have all worked hard to get to where they are. Their game has my support.

Mine too.

Thanks for sharing the info, Radon.

RoLLnBLuNtZzz
06-09-2013, 11:56 AM
well said my friend

duction
06-09-2013, 12:01 PM
id love their wage :)

Yun
06-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Regardless it is indeed a nice gesture and attempt to explain things, but unfortunately I have a feeling that it will not satiate the appetite of the masses for placing blame or still calling out individual members. The Job is not easy and the road is a long and arduous one ahead.

BKB I Maverick
06-09-2013, 12:29 PM
id love their wage :)

You probably wouldn't unless you work ungodly hours a week.

Defenze
06-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Read the story from the provided link. Wow, I had no idea this had happened. Kaspersky is a very reputable company. It makes software for AV for computers along with other security ventures. Thanks for the info here. Very informative and it appears that Trion is thoroughly furnished with plenty of talent. Which bodes well for us who bought and play the game. Time will tell if they are talented enough to fix all the problems that have occurred already in the game. I believe they do. Time will tell.

Pyth
06-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Well of course they're people and we're all bound to make mistakes.

But how many times do you think you'd have to **** up at work before your boss forgets that you're a human being and fires your ***?

John Smith
06-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Too many people from **** companies like EA and SOE...

Heasctrons
06-09-2013, 07:03 PM

But how many times do you think you'd have to **** up at work before your boss forgets that you're a human being and fires your ***?

Did u read the link?

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
06-09-2013, 11:34 PM

Then why arn't weathermen/woman and politicians fired on a daily basis?

Point is, in some jobs screwups are unavoidable. The gaming industry is one such job where things are going to get messed up. Its a given. Being able to keep your head afloat long enough to fix those problems is what keeps your job.

iggyjeckel
06-09-2013, 11:47 PM
OK first post on forums so yay for me, now that it's out of the way I can get on to what I wanted to post about.

I consider myself a small time game programmer, only things I've made are for family and friends, nothing special just a few 2d games in c++ and a few small android joke around but anyways being any type of developer is HARD. I would love to see what any people who complain about bugs not being fixed could do after looking at lines upon lines of code and just not getting that click of what can be done.

Yes these people make the money they should know their project blah blah blah but seriously complaining about something is not going to fix it. Looking over a mechanics shoulder saying "why isn't my car running yet" will not get it started faster, sometimes saying over and over again slows progress, Especially if it isn't done in a format that is helpful.

Anyways I guess what I'm trying to say is the team seems to have the experience to pull things off, let the people do it and have the patience to understand that not everything can be helped with a bandaid because when they get ripped off things built around a bandaid can be affected.

SHADOWBROKER
06-10-2013, 05:31 AM
wow what alot of crap to read. here is what should be said. NO ONE CARES. people at 343 have backgrounds to. look how bad they suck. this is a lame post.

dreadi
06-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Thanks for sharing...;-)

MagellanD
06-10-2013, 08:05 AM
You would think with that much experience on the team that this constant Shtako would be better.

I bet they don't even put it on their resumes after this.