PDA

View Full Version : defiance hardware gets upgraded ...

AmnesiaHaze
06-10-2013, 05:33 PM
im curious what exactly does the "hardware upgrade" mean , hopefully it will mean better performance and more stability. can someone advise what is being upgraded , new servers , hardware upgrades to existing servers etc.?

OhNos
06-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Much more curious whether they will increase view distance after upgrade. Sniper rifles are close range weapon atm :(

Shada Mori
06-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Replacing the hamsters with gerbils.

Myst
06-10-2013, 06:06 PM

lol! Well that outta be interesting.

Max Skypro
06-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Why not just say it's a server update? If they're going to be vague about it, why mention it at all?

shadowkin
06-10-2013, 06:14 PM
When blizzard upgraded illidan(us) and kelthuzad(us) they were silky smooth. Before that they were almost unplayable bc they were folding under the weight of their own populations lol

Gratty
06-10-2013, 06:43 PM
I wish they would have elaborated more

Lupis Volk
06-10-2013, 06:50 PM

nah either midgets or greyhounds.

Murzin
06-10-2013, 06:59 PM
well, for enterprise level hardware solutions, they are pretty far above and beyond what normal people see.

if they had said:
adding 1000 MM LH NICs to the servers and upping the link-aggregate from 2 to 4

would you know what that means?

if they had said:
replacing SATA 3 5.4 drives with SAS 15.4 drives

the bottom one, sure maybe. the upper one? probably not.

hell, they may even be doing an upgrade that would not make much sense to me, and i work at a network's NOC.

hell, they could put out an update of something like:

upgrading server cluster to a bernoulli-star architecture.

i bet even fewer people would know what that means.

or the server upgrade could be something like...

upgrading the amd quad core 2.1 ghz cpus to 8 core 3.4 ghz i9 Intels

Lupis Volk
06-10-2013, 07:00 PM
well, for enterprise level hardware solutions, they are pretty far above and beyond what normal people see.

if they had said:

if they had said:

hell, they may even be doing an upgrade that would not make much sense to me, and i work at a network's NOC.

i don't do IT so this confuses me.

GiantInMaine
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM

if they had said:

if they had said:

We don't really care much about all that but would like to know why they are upgrading the servers and exactly how it will improve the game. I hope it makes things smoother because this is a fun game but the constant annoyances get old.

Murzin
06-10-2013, 07:10 PM
which was exactly my point, any update they could provide may not actually make sense.

unless you are saying you want something that would essentially be akin to telling people

"we make servers faster!"

yes, there are degrees, but really, its quite irrelevant.

i guess they could say what exactly they are upgrading, like CPUs or hard drives or something on the network side.

asking for details is akin to slowing down near an accident on the road to look at it. you look because you want to know what happened, but really if you saw something like limbs or even a dead person, its really not something you want to see.

Max Skypro
06-10-2013, 07:18 PM
which was exactly my point, any update they could provide may not actually make sense.

unless you are saying you want something that would essentially be akin to telling people

"we make servers faster!"

yes, there are degrees, but really, its quite irrelevant.

i guess they could say what exactly they are upgrading, like CPUs or hard drives or something on the network side.

asking for details is akin to slowing down near an accident on the road to look at it. you look because you want to know what happened, but really if you saw something like limbs or even a dead person, its really not something you want to see.

The last bit, a rather bizarre analogy!

If they'd added something along the lines of "Server hardware update to resolve/aid/reduce x/y/z" it would stop a lot of speculation and confusion which is apparent throughout the forum.

As an example, is the update going to help resolve siege lag/timeouts/give more oranges/magicate DLC/increase number of POWS?

There's no harm in people asking for a little more info.

GiantInMaine
06-10-2013, 07:27 PM
increase number of POWS?

Now that's the best idea yet!

Lupis Volk
06-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Now that's the best idea yet!

i demand more more POWs

Wtflag
06-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Some of the bugs could have occurred due to high resource utilization. (CPU or memory)

We will not see much changes except a more stable server for now.

If they have spare capacity, they might improve drawing distance although I doubt it.

DLC should be the primary reason for the upgrade as it will most definitely need more hardware for the new maps and features.

Majin Trunks
06-10-2013, 08:13 PM

if they had said:

if they had said:

OK I get part of it but I don't actually understand all of it either.

That being said I can see increasing the bandwidth of their network cards and routers on all their servers would help. I don't think putting faster hard drives in them would make quite as much of a difference but I would probably be surprised especially if it is a widespread upgrade. Changing the architecture of the servers wouldn't make much sense either as an upgrade to me (as far as I know there are only a few network configurations that are standard and the star cluster is an outdated model but I could be wrong). The increase in processor speed across the board like you suggested looks like it more than doubles the processing speed, that and memory upgrades across the board I could see helping a lot as well.

Did I at least get most of it right?

Azumi RM
06-10-2013, 08:26 PM
I wish I could "Thumbs up" Murzin on this one.

I'll try and put it in layman's terms:
Upgrades that are made to servers usually involve disks, ram, CPU or network related items. Defiance is increasing in size and thus the demand on the servers is increasing. More players = More RAM needed, More CPU time required, More disk access (usually to the database which also involves RAM). Once you get to the "threshold" of what your current server can handle , people will start to "lag" and experience delays. This is especially detrimental in a gaming environment, where response times are critical.
Imagine a restaurant : A chef is capable of cooking 3 dishes at a time on his own, but the restaurant grows and the customer base doubles. Now he has a back log of orders and can't keep up. They come out eventually but with delay. What do you do? hire a sous chef or a second chef to double your capability and keep up with the orders.
The upgrades in this case, I believe, would be to hardware and not a complete swap of the operating system. Given the time required to perform these changes, I would say it is most likely to RAM or CPU. 1 hour is not enough time to swap an OS , to install a new server or even to configure a new disk.

Fresh Ammo
06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
replacing the hamsters with gerbils.
lmfao............

Iceberg
06-10-2013, 08:51 PM
They probably are just putting in a water bottle for the hamster so it would stop dying ever few days.

Remag Div
06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Trion has the most vague patch notes I have ever seen (or sometimes not see at all because they are stealth changes)

Murzin
06-11-2013, 01:44 AM
OK I get part of it but I don't actually understand all of it either.

That being said I can see increasing the bandwidth of their network cards and routers on all their servers would help. I don't think putting faster hard drives in them would make quite as much of a difference but I would probably be surprised especially if it is a widespread upgrade. Changing the architecture of the servers wouldn't make much sense either as an upgrade to me (as far as I know there are only a few network configurations that are standard and the star cluster is an outdated model but I could be wrong). The increase in processor speed across the board like you suggested looks like it more than doubles the processing speed, that and memory upgrades across the board I could see helping a lot as well.

Did I at least get most of it right?

actually while people do not use pure star clusters nowadays, they will usually use newer hybrid versions.

if you talk to average networking people, they will tell you IPX/SPX and Token Ring are out-dated technologies and nobody uses them.

IPX/SPX is still used today, not only for legacy networks, but also for "dead zones" and black hole systems. did you know it is also offers a TON of security to not run a standard "dead zone" but rather to run your server back-end inside the IPX/SPX dead zone?

Token Ring is still used today, although mostly in legacy systems, or ultra-high security systems because of the inherent security features of Token Ring. Plus, all these 1 gig, 2 gig, 5 gig, 10 gig and even 16 gig ethernet protocols came to us NOT from developing the ethernet standard, but rather from advances in the token ring protocol that was adapted for ethernet?

16 gig ethernet protocol is an adaptation of quad pass token ring that has a speed of 20 gigs/sec.

and the star cluster that is dead? you hear about the army "super computer" that was made out of like PS3s, it used a hybrid star cluster architecture on a Linux platform.

always be wary of people who tell you "technology X is out-dated" because chances are they are wrong. i even got into a discussion at work and none of them knew the joys of updating their "glide" drivers and trying to get SLI working in the mid 90s. they honestly thought that Nvidia invented the SLI technology.

pro tip: Nvidia did not, they bought the company that invented SLI technology, its roots are based in something us really old people used to play called "glquake" or the real name "Open GL Quake" which is what brought hardware GPU acceleration to consumer gaming. as a purchaser of 2 of those "glide" cards, you are welcome.