PDA

View Full Version : I Wish Datak Would Die.

Tigercml
06-11-2013, 12:33 PM
I hate that smug shtako. I didn't like him much in the beginning and I hate him even more and more as the show goes own. I wish Nolan would put a bullet in his head or Irisa would slice his throat from ear to ear. Or better yet, have him go to San Fran so I can kill him myself. If that happens please add a /Piss emote so I can do that while standing over his corpse.

Lethaltyrant
06-11-2013, 12:36 PM
I think you have anger issues lol but i dont like him that much either but im like 50/50 on him. Not my fav character, but good to have a guy like that in a show ya know what i mean?

Shada Mori
06-11-2013, 12:36 PM
He is a MASSIVE intergalactic ******bag. But that's kinda what makes him a awesome villain.

abakai
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I'd love to see him and Nolan duel with charge blades

Tigercml
06-11-2013, 12:38 PM
I think you have anger issues lol but i dont like him that much either but im like 50/50 on him. Not my fav character, but good to have a guy like that in a show ya know what i mean?

Lol. No, no anger issues. Well maybe some. But the guy obviously has no problem beating up or killing women. I don't stand for that. People like him deserve slow painful deaths.

Fiox
06-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Too bad stahma is a better criminal which makes datak look pitiful

MiikeyTV
06-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Datak is an alright character, but he does have his moments where I wish Nolan would just put a bullet in his head and be done with it.

Sdric
06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I wished Nolan would die.
Nothing personal he's a great actor.
But that a plot twist nobody would expact.
Or maybe Iresa.
I'ld miss Nolan more than her.

Hm...
I'll watch Space battleship Yamato now...
I wanna see some good guys die.
Screw Hollywood happy ends.

c4l1d3n
06-11-2013, 12:54 PM
They need a "red wedding" for this family...

Nefarious
06-11-2013, 12:55 PM
The way he treats the prostitutes made me like him more. Im a fan.

ironhands
06-11-2013, 12:56 PM
He is a MASSIVE intergalactic ******bag. But that's kinda what makes him a awesome villain.

but IS he a villain? Haven't seen the latest episode, but I've seen far worse villains on the show. He seems to me to have the potential to switch sides.

Tigercml
06-11-2013, 01:03 PM
They need a "red wedding" for this family...

I kinda agree. I say leave Stahma out of it. But they can kill off Datak and Alak. It would be amazing if their deaths were as grizzly as the red wedding.

That made me hate him even more.

MiikeyTV
06-11-2013, 01:05 PM
I kinda agree. I say leave Stahma out of it. But they can kill off Datak and Alak. It would be amazing if their deaths were as grizzly as the red wedding.

That made me hate him even more.

I was reading this thinking it was actually Amanda saying these things :p

Coolrockski
06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Stahma may be the worse of the family, but yes all of them going would be nice.

Covington
06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
The fictional character looks better than some of the posts in the threads around here lately.... Pretty scary stuff people.

Might all need to take a step back from the make believe world.

Covington
06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
but IS he a villain? Haven't seen the latest episode, but I've seen far worse villains on the show. He seems to me to have the potential to switch sides.

He's like the "anti-villian" to co inside with Nolan's Anti Hero. It's a well written character development for them both.

They are both a bit chaotic neutral.

Reverend Blood
06-11-2013, 01:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/myuIKM7.png

Anderson
06-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Tony Curran is doing his job well if you hate Datak's guts.

shadowkin
06-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Some of those exact things u said, i have said about irisa, including killing her off lol. Datak is my fav.

Covington
06-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Tony Curran is doing his job well if you hate Datak's guts.

Exactly! I didn't think he would be one of my all time favs but he is tearing it up. I want a buddy cop show with Batiatus and Datak now...

TIER ONE
06-11-2013, 02:29 PM
He's on his own side....obviously dislikes/uses humans. The dude has his own agenda & shtako will hit the fan when he finds out his wife is hitting up the need/want. But admit it, you all thought it was cool when he fought the skitterlings with the charge blade

crasher
06-11-2013, 02:37 PM
If you got your wish, and they did nasty things to his wriggling corpse, what would you do in the next episode while Aunt Bea is baking apple pies and everyone is whittling down at the general store?

You need the untouchable badguy so you can justify paying the hero's salary.

Lasse B
06-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Warning: The following might contain spoilers.

Would I kill the Nolan and / or Datak characters if they ever (re)appeared in the bay area and a mission would allow me to do as I see fit? Probably not. However I would punch Nolan in the face as a reward for cheating me out of the crystal, or my share of the bounty for it. That lousy assault rifle cannot seriously be considered a fair trade.

But this whole "a character can be removed from the show if the players kill him in the game" idea the game devs and show people got is a tricky one. What I'm somewhat afraid of is that people will decide whether or not to kill a character based on what they've experienced in both the game and the show. But our characters aren't omnipresent. They shouldn't know what's happening on the show, let alone make decisions based on that. For example my character has never met Datak, he hasn't even heard of him. If my character isn't seriously wronged in his universe (= the game) by someone else, that someone else should per default go free. Ark hunters aren't Raiders after all.

Uvirith
06-11-2013, 11:58 PM
If you hate him and want to kill him, then the character is very well written. There are two kinds of villains in tv-shows. The ones you hate with a passion (like Batiatus from the Spartacus-Show) and the ones you can connect with. (like Dexter)

jbob spittlewop
06-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Dayak fills a crucial antihero role, he is important to the story.

Kierro Kai
06-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Warning: The following might contain spoilers.

Would I kill the Nolan and / or Datak characters if they ever (re)appeared in the bay area and a mission would allow me to do as I see fit? Probably not. However I would punch Nolan in the face as a reward for cheating me out of the crystal, or my share of the bounty for it. That lousy assault rifle cannot seriously be considered a fair trade.

But this whole "a character can be removed from the show if the players kill him in the game" idea the game devs and show people got is a tricky one. What I'm somewhat afraid of is that people will decide whether or not to kill a character based on what they've experienced in both the game and the show. But our characters aren't omnipresent. They shouldn't know what's happening on the show, let alone make decisions based on that. For example my character has never met Datak, he hasn't even heard of him. If my character isn't seriously wronged in his universe (= the game) by someone else, that someone else should per default go free. Ark hunters aren't Raiders after all.

True our (Your) character(s) never met Datak. However if for fun, you could Play your character worked for, or along side Datak. If you're going to play as a Castithan, say you're cousins, you chose a Life as a free roaming Arkhunter. Where Datak doesn't do any work, gets it all handed to him etc etc. That's just me, Hell when we get the name changer I might RP as the Irathient, Begbie from the Live Action trailer. It's all how you play I suppose.

AmnesiaHaze
06-12-2013, 01:30 AM
datak needs to become new mayor of defiance, he already made the first step into the council

Covington
06-12-2013, 05:33 AM
If you hate him and want to kill him, then the character is very well written. There are two kinds of villains in tv-shows. The ones you hate with a passion (like Batiatus from the Spartacus-Show) and the ones you can connect with. (like Dexter)

Oh my I never hated Batty I hated Spartacus.. what a terrible guy... Terrorist. :p

Covington
06-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Dayak fills a crucial antihero role, he is important to the story.

And DaTak is the crucial Anti-villian... I do not know of this Dayak you speak of... hierarchy of the Daleks maybe?

VolkeSin
06-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Datak is a predictable thug, he is just trying to be repected even though he probably never will be among humans. His wife is the scary one. She can plan from the shadows and with these recent episodes she is starting to become an individual for herself rather than thinking what is best for her family.

Donnyrides
06-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Datak is one of the best characters in the show. To fully buy into the series you have to try to think about the lives these people had on their home worlds. Datak was part of the lower class on his home planet and he made his way onto an ark and found his way onto Earth he flipped the script and became one of the more influential and successful members of Defiance buy having a fresh start and taking advantage of it. His Earthly success has led him to a feeling of entitlement which is why he is so smug. He cherishes his race's history and beliefs. While odd to humans, these are perfectly normal to him and all Castithans.

Bathing together is a ritual within his race, no different than humans having dinner together. While I think we all know the bathing thing is a cheap insert to include a bit of extra smut for ratings, it is still something the viewers have to accept as a possible racial difference between Humans and Castithans to help show character\racial differential.

I think the show could have gone in a total different direction for originality and cast Datak as a "good guy" right off the bat. I get tired of the alien race in EVERY science fiction show being the enemy and humans are the good guys. I am also a bit tired of EVERY alien race that humans come in contact with are always of humanoid type figures. 2 legs, 2 arms, torso, human size head, feet, hands, eat with a mouth on their head, speak a spoken language (but is probably needed to TV though), etc... but this is for a totally different topic.

Bottom line, Datak is one of the best characters in show. I compare him to Jamie Lannister from AGoT. He is only doing what's best for his race/family.

Fancypants
06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
I hate that smug shtako. I didn't like him much in the beginning and I hate him even more and more as the show goes own. I wish Nolan would put a bullet in his head or Irisa would slice his throat from ear to ear. Or better yet, have him go to San Fran so I can kill him myself. If that happens please add a /Piss emote so I can do that while standing over his corpse.

No Datak. No show. Pretty sure you could poll 10 people about who should die first: Nolan or Datak and Nolan would win hands down for the bullet.

/endthread

Epyon
06-12-2013, 10:45 AM
No Datak. No show. Pretty sure you could poll 10 people about who should die first: Nolan or Datak and Nolan would win hands down for the bullet.

/endthread

I'd kill Datak over Nolan any day. Thats one bullet going for Datak.

Ryme
06-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Datak is a predictable thug, he is just trying to be repected even though he probably never will be among humans. His wife is the scary one. She can plan from the shadows and with these recent episodes she is starting to become an individual for herself rather than thinking what is best for her family.

I have nothing against the actor. I just feel his character is too brutish and shallow to have any significant value. But then of course that's where his wife comes in. Except I think the portrayal of Stahma's character comes across as a bit mixed though.

She is obliviously intelligent and capable, but behaves completely submissive to everyone. It were one thing if she were simply to bow in the presence of her husband, but she acts meek and cowering in front of other people when on her own. Ara Shondu is an example of how Castithan women can behave assertively amongst their peers. It is confusing what her endgame is when she seems determined to repress herself. Maybe this is just another point in which the show and game contradict each other.

Covington
06-12-2013, 11:29 AM
She is obliviously intelligent and capable, but behaves completely submissive to everyone. It were one thing if she were simply to bow in the presence of her husband, but she acts meek and cowering in front of other people when on her own. Ara Shondu is an example of how Castithan women can behave assertively amongst their peers. It is confusing what her endgame is when she seems determined to repress herself. Maybe this is just another point in which the show and game contradict each other.

I wonder what "house" she comes from in terms of the homeworld and how high up she was in power compared to Ara and of course she might be younger. Datak seemed to have been the "poor" guy who came in and swept her off her feet - ala titanic.

But then something changed in him he has been growing darker, maybe it will explain Dark Matter in the game. Like Ara's brother maybe we are seeing first accounts of Datak going down the same path.

By being submissive it is keeping her alive. She is 100% trying to survive, we just don't know her angle totally yet. Kenya seems to be planing a part in it for her, she just didn't expect Kenya to deny Datak and throw a wrench in it so soon.

Bigtk
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
And I wish datak's wife would get in bed with me, or better yet her and kenya at the same time.

LALLY
06-12-2013, 12:07 PM

haha .

Covington
06-12-2013, 12:08 PM
And I wish datak's wife would get in bed with me, or better yet her and kenya at the same time.

That will be more than 20 scrip.

Blade of Souls
06-12-2013, 12:25 PM
We need an episode that demonstrates Datak's firm hold on the underworld of Defiance. Apparently he's some big wig on the wrong side of the tracks, but we haven't really seen much of it. Sure, there have been a handful of datak's influence..Ep. 2, I just want more from him.

As far as Stahma. Things don't look good for her with her recent visits to Need/Want. Although, I would like Datak to make a grissly example of...uhmm...the mayor's sister, it will most likely be of Stahma..although...Datak might hide all knowledge of his wife's infidelity because seeming is believing, and such things would look bad on someone like him.

I wouldn't mind it in the least if Datak was supposed to be the villain of the show, or even reserved anti-hero, but the writers just have not made it happen. If they're trying to go sorta-kinda Game of Thrones with this show, they're doing it wrong.

Ensu
06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
The way they're taking Datak/Stahma, I kinda get the feeling they're heading for divorce. Or at least a separation.

They may well get back together, but still. That's just what it feels like to me.

Blade of Souls
06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
I could see Datak locking Stahma away in the house, with a few goons to make sure she doesn't leave and get into anymore trouble. Then they could have the mayor's sister start being a nosy neighbor and try to break Stahma out of her imprisonment, either by herself or the aid of her sister and Nolan.

I do have to say that I have been liking the most recent episodes, mostly because of the fact that they actually have a solid narrative, as opposed to the other episodes where we have all these storylines that do nothing but clutter up the 40 mins? of show. The 5-10 mins of show between the commercial breaks is still really damn annoying.

PhotriusPyrelus
06-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Lol. No, no anger issues. Well maybe some. But the guy obviously has no problem beating up or killing women. I don't stand for that. People like him deserve slow painful deaths.

So what you're saying is that it's perfectly fine to beat up or kill men.

Fancypants
06-12-2013, 03:30 PM
I'd kill Datak over Nolan any day. Thats one bullet going for Datak.

Think about what you are saying.

The fact that you are rooting for the bad guy (who is an actor btw) to die because he makes you so mad shows just how much of an impact his acting has on you. Pretty sure you don't want to see him die because he's ruining the show, but because he's the chief protagonist in the show. He would be a pretty boring villain if you didn't want him to die.

Conversely Nolan, the guy I'm supposed to like.. I hope he gets him arms and legs torn off or vaporized because he's boring. If they promoted Tommy even, I wouldn't care. Or Irisa. He's that insignificant that anyone could do what he's doing now. Same with the mayor (although with her there's a hotness factor you have to replace, which is hard).

The next 'bad' bad guy is the old lady who's breathing oxygen from a tube and who just lost her main henchman.. who got.. choked out by nerd. Wooooo... she's scary.

Nolan isn't really the glue holding together the show.. Datak and his wife with their nefarious actions are.

Think of Datak as Al Swearingen. You hate him, he's sleazy, you want really bad things to happen to him, but you cannot kill him off because he's that important to the show.

http://thenerderypublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/AlSwearengen.jpeg

Ubai
06-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Ok, I call BS. Datak is NOTHING like Al Swearengen, mostly because Datak is an idiot. The character of Datak is so poorly written that he is one of the reasons I can't even watch the show anymore, because in any sane universe he would have had his head blown off by anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Datak is even LESS believable in Defiance, since they are going for a kind of post-apocalyptic, wild west thing, where someone wouldn't bother with a pesky court or lawyers and other such sissified cityfolk nonsense. No, they'd just shoot him like a dog, or hang him from a tree.

Swearengen was a well-written, complex character with a lot of bad character traits but a few heroic ones. Datak is a mindless thug who can't be taken seriously as an organized crime figure bec ause he is just too stupid.

I realize it isn't fair to compare a Syfy show to a great show like Deadwood, but Datak fails even by SGU or BG standards, and those shows were terribad. I really miss SG-1 (SG: Atlantis was OK too) and Firefly. It may not have been Emmy quality stuff, but it was good, fun solid science fiction entertainment that I could watch without wanting to find the writers and beat them with a stick. :P

-Matt

Epyon
06-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Think about what you are saying.

The fact that you are rooting for the bad guy (who is an actor btw) to die because he makes you so mad shows just how much of an impact his acting has on you. Pretty sure you don't want to see him die because he's ruining the show, but because he's the chief protagonist in the show. He would be a pretty boring villain if you didn't want him to die.

Conversely Nolan, the guy I'm supposed to like.. I hope he gets him arms and legs torn off or vaporized because he's boring. If they promoted Tommy even, I wouldn't care. Or Irisa. He's that insignificant that anyone could do what he's doing now. Same with the mayor (although with her there's a hotness factor you have to replace, which is hard).

The next 'bad' bad guy is the old lady who's breathing oxygen from a tube and who just lost her main henchman.. who got.. choked out by nerd. Wooooo... she's scary.

Nolan isn't really the glue holding together the show.. Datak and his wife with their nefarious actions are.

Think of Datak as Al Swearingen. You hate him, he's sleazy, you want really bad things to happen to him, but you cannot kill him off because he's that important to the show.

http://thenerderypublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/AlSwearengen.jpeg

Well you would be right, if Datak made enough of an impact for me to hate him. I do not, I dont care for him really. He's never caught my attention: The Castithan system feels out dated and the one really running things and attracting viewers is his wife. The only character thats led me to hatred, is Irisa, now theres someone I want brutally murdered. As for Nolan, I like him as the protagonist and wish theyd focused more on him, since sometimes he feels like an add-on, a means to the an end; but then so do all the characters at one point or another. But since all the episodes seem to have been stand alone so far, except for some BTS connections, meh to story arguements. Lastly if you like Tommy, then you really cant judge characters, dude's like a walking talking invisible doll.

Fancypants
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Ok, I call BS. Datak is NOTHING like Al Swearengen, mostly because Datak is an idiot. The character of Datak is so poorly written that he is one of the reasons I can't even watch the show anymore, because in any sane universe he would have had his head blown off by anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Datak is even LESS believable in Defiance, since they are going for a kind of post-apocalyptic, wild west thing, where someone wouldn't bother with a pesky court or lawyers and other such sissified cityfolk nonsense. No, they'd just shoot him like a dog, or hang him from a tree.

Swearengen was a well-written, complex character with a lot of bad character traits but a few heroic ones. Datak is a mindless thug who can't be taken seriously as an organized crime figure bec ause he is just too stupid.

I realize it isn't fair to compare a Syfy show to a great show like Deadwood, but Datak fails even by SGU or BG standards, and those shows were terribad. I really miss SG-1 (SG: Atlantis was OK too) and Firefly. It may not have been Emmy quality stuff, but it was good, fun solid science fiction entertainment that I could watch without wanting to find the writers and beat them with a stick. :P

-MattHow does a guy who owns the whole town, who can have a guy killed right in front of the Lawkeeper's office (ala Deadwood), run all the guns/weapons in town, have everyone cower to him.. look like an 'idiot'? You haven't really explained yourself.

Nolan on the other hand, for all I just mentioned, is a babe in the woods. He knows hardly anyone. People have no reason to talk to him. He's consistently not only unaware of what's going on in the town, but magically at the last minute of each show seems to 'turn up' at the right time due to lucky breaks. Not real police work, not any type of effort on his own part. Just the writers going "Insert Nolan here".

Sorry, but Datak is by far more important to this show than anyone else.

And yeah, comparing this to Deadwood's writers is like comparing Serena Williams to Maria Sharipova or Tiger Woods to Phil Mickelson. It just isn't fair in any universe.

Fancypants
06-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Well you would be right, if Datak made enough of an impact for me to hate him. I do not, I dont care for him really. He's never caught my attention: The Castithan system feels out dated and the one really running things and attracting viewers is his wife. The only character thats led me to hatred, is Irisa, now theres someone I want brutally murdered. As for Nolan, I like him as the protagonist and wish theyd focused more on him, since sometimes he feels like an add-on, a means to the an end; but then so do all the characters at one point or another. But since all the episodes seem to have been stand alone so far, except for some BTS connections, meh to story arguements. Lastly if you like Tommy, then you really cant judge characters, dude's like a walking talking invisible doll.

I think you read wrong. I didn't say I wanted Tommy as the Lawkeeper. I said if they killed Nolan, Tommy could do just as good as a job as Nolan character wise.

Consider: Nolan knows no one. He shouldn't be solving anything based on no history with the town. His character as I said is like a cutout only there for sex appeal. His decisions like the ones he made with his Bountyhunter buddy, are questionable for a drifter and outright unforgivable for a Lawkeeper. (take the law into his own hands and let his buddy take the fall? Again? Really?)

Datak by comparision, has free reign to do what he wants in the town and honestly.. it's about what you'd expect. Corruption but a certain code that people don't break. He acts the part too.. like he's untouchable. And that's exactly how Swearingen used to act until he had his health problems if you remember.

Admit it; when he had that stomach thing going on, you wanted that guy to keep turning the knob because of all the dirty things he did and how he didn't apologize for any of it.

Ubai
06-12-2013, 04:07 PM
First off, a guy like Datak only "owns the town" because the writers made it that way. Given his skill set I could see him maybe owning a garbage dump, but that would probably require more finesse than he possesses. :P

As for your example, I'll assume you're talking about Datak killing the guy they tortured during their goofy "festival" thing. Now, you can't blame just Datak for this one, but you can (again!) blame the writers:

Datak: You stopped us from torturing our guy to death in the street! You hate our culture!

Mayor Rita*: Well tough nuggets, I say no, so there.

Datak: Oh yeah, well (visibly stops and puts on his "crafty" face, RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER)... we'll talk this over later, thanks so much for being such a great mayor.

What happens next? Nolan lets the torture victim go home without any kind of guard or surveillance, because Datak was soooooo smoov. :P

Later on, his corpse turns up on the doorstep of the Sheriff's office. What happens next? Well, if this was a Western and Nolan was Clint Eastwood he would hang Datak from a tree, and everyone would say, "That sum***** got wut wuz comin't to 'im". What happened instead? I have no idea, because I just can't watch the show anymore, it is just too awful.

So again, Datak is not only not Swearengen, he's not even Dan or that ^%%^$$@#@ Comstock. Hell, he isn't even Powers Booth!

-Matt

* I can't remember the mayor's name, I always think of her as the hot lady from "Dexter".

Fancypants
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
First off, a guy like Datak only "owns the town" because the writers made it that way. Given his skill set I could see him maybe owning a garbage dump, but that would probably require more finesse than he possesses. :P

As for your example, I'll assume you're talking about Datak killing the guy they tortured during their goofy "festival" thing. Now, you can't blame just Datak for this one, but you can (again!) blame the writers:

Datak: You stopped us from torturing our guy to death in the street! You hate our culture!

Mayor Rita*: Well tough nuggets, I say no, so there.

Datak: Oh yeah, well (visibly stops and puts on his "crafty" face, RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER)... we'll talk this over later, thanks so much for being such a great mayor.

What happens next? Nolan lets the torture victim go home without any kind of guard or surveillance, because Datak was soooooo smoov. :P

Later on, his corpse turns up on the doorstep of the Sheriff's office. What happens next? Well, if this was a Western and Nolan was Clint Eastwood he would hang Datak from a tree, and everyone would say, "That sum***** got wut wuz comin't to 'im". What happened instead? I have no idea, because I just can't watch the show anymore, it is just too awful.

So again, Datak is not only not Swearengen, he's not even Dan or that ^%%^$$@#@ Comstock. Hell, he isn't even Powers Booth!

-Matt

* I can't remember the mayor's name, I always think of her as the hot lady from "Dexter".I think we both are agreeing on the same thing as a main point; this show's writers are mainly bantha fodder. It's really not compelling stuff nor is there anything remotely resembling an worthwhile cliffhanger. (I'm really not interested in what's in the deep mine strangely after this many episodes).

I also have to repeat: I am not saying Datak is as good an actor as Swearingen. Not in any universe.

What I'm saying is that between the main protag/antag.. it's clear that the protag is better in HOW they do their roles. Now if that's the writing, he gets a pass. But the guy isn't that impressive to me. Nolan is constantly having the 'need Immodium D' look on his face. Puzzled, bewildered, and most times when he's talking.. no one listens UNLESS he pulls out his gun.

Deadwood.. that sheriff? Hell. He didn't pull his gun out to settle things. He beat the living crap out of people.

http://dockthegreenlight.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/deadwood02.jpg
THIS is a Lawkeeper.
http://www.defiance.com/en/series/sites/defiance/files/styles/cover_image_wide/public/s01_e0101_04_2.jpg
This is a guy who has to go to the bathroom because he ate a bad taco.

Ensu
06-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Now I have to go and watch Deadwood.

Ugh.

As if I didn't have enough to do.

Datak should get his kickboxer Castithan back. That guy had potential. Way better than his sensoth lover.

Ubai
06-12-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm going to give the actor playing Nolan (and the actor playing Datak for that matter) the benefit of the doubt and just go straight to "the writers need more regular beatings". I feel like with Nolan they were going for a kind of Han Solo vibe but they ended up making your Generic Mark One Protagonist.

I think a big problem with the whole show is that the writers think they're being "edgy" (god I hate that word, it's usually a codeword for violent, dumb and vulgar). When nerds think they are getting all dark and gritty the results are... well, something like Defiance, actually.

-Matt

barium
06-12-2013, 06:00 PM
datak is my favorite. the 1 i hate is Iresa. she can die in a fire. oh and that **** thats now sleeping with datak's wife. i hate her more then Iresa and i dont like Iresa at all

LALLY
06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
the shows an average sci fi series.........the games an average 3rd person shooter, both are ok, just average,...its a good game to play while we all wait for next gen....

Fancypants
06-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Now I have to go and watch Deadwood.

Ugh.

As if I didn't have enough to do.If I'm reading this right, you haven't seen Deadwood at all?

If that is true, I highly advise you to wait until Defiance is over. When you see that it seems basically a slight ripoff of Deadwood (people said Firefly vibe.. no), you'll naturally start comparing the characters and their roles.

There is a sheriff, a doctor, a really good bad guy, some middle of the road guys, a mayor, a town that's very familiar and people dying left and right but the show is able to replace them with good actors.

I still think Defiance just killed off one of the better actors on the show.. Pol. Dunno how they fix that.

Ensu
06-12-2013, 08:33 PM
If I'm reading this right, you haven't seen Deadwood at all?

If that is true, I highly advise you to wait until Defiance is over. When you see that it seems basically a slight ripoff of Deadwood (people said Firefly vibe.. no), you'll naturally start comparing the characters and their roles.

There is a sheriff, a doctor, a really good bad guy, some middle of the road guys, a town that's very familiar and people dying left and right but the show is able to replace them with good actors.

I still think Defiance just killed off one of the better actors on the show.. Pol. Dunno how they fix that.

I know! I loved Pol Madis! By far my favourite villain so far. Had Datak squirming like a bug under his thumb and then Nolan just shoots him? Argh!

And you're right, I haven't seen Deadwood. They've been saying since the start that Defiance (tv-show) is essentially an immigrant drama, which if I understand rightly Deadwood is also. Since Deadwood starts with pioneers, and the founding of the town, yes? I should probably check that.

Oh, gold-mining camp.

Fancypants
06-12-2013, 08:47 PM
I know! I loved Pol Madis! By far my favourite villain so far. Had Datak squirming like a bug under his thumb and then Nolan just shoots him? Argh!

And you're right, I haven't seen Deadwood. They've been saying since the start that Defiance (tv-show) is essentially an immigrant drama, which if I understand rightly Deadwood is also. Since Deadwood starts with pioneers, and the founding of the town, yes? I should probably check that.

Oh, gold-mining camp.
You know how sometimes you see something and then you wish "I wish I hadn't seen that, but now I can't unsee it."?

Well, that's what I say about Deadwood. Not because it was horrible, but because it was SO good that I wish I could see it over again not knowing what was going to happen as a first time viewer.

The only good thing was because it was a weekly HBO show, I was forced to wait like a junkie who goes to the methadone clinic each week; they only give you so much then you have to wait.

You my friend, are going to be able to watch all the seasons from start to finish and you may just OD. Again, I'd advise against seeing it now because of the vast similarities you really are not going to watch Defiance anymore, as much as you think you do now.

You definitely will see it's like a high school production of Deadwood rather than a sci-fi show.

Ensu
06-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Truly, I am blessed.

I managed to do the same thing with The Wire, and Lost, among others.

Marathons are where it's at. I hate having to wait a whole week just to watch one more episode.

barium
06-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Truly, I am blessed.

I managed to do the same thing with The Wire, and Lost, among others.

Marathons are where it's at. I hate having to wait a whole week just to watch one more episode.

i still miss lost :( what a stupid ending that was to it to :/

Uvirith
06-12-2013, 11:46 PM
the shows an average sci fi series.........the games an average 3rd person shooter, both are ok, just average,...its a good game to play while we all wait for next gen....

nextgen was already outdated a year ago. I have a cellphone more powerful than the XBox One will be.