PDA

View Full Version : Nolan is a Poor, Poor Man's Rick from the Walking Dead

Coolrockski
06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
His character tries to be a Rick, but not nearly as deadly. They are both rugged survivalist with authority (past and present), but Nolan would last about 2 seconds fighting Rick. He also tries to look too stylish..Rick looks like he has been through hell and I buy it more. Nice try Defiance writers, but Nolan doesn't compare...

c4l1d3n
06-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Sorry but the character of Rick blows Nolans away with a Colt Python! :)

Covington
06-11-2013, 01:50 PM
I like Nolan as a person WAY better than Rick. Rick is kinda creepy and freaky. Nolan is a rugged fun guy.

In a gun fight - Rick.
In a bar fight - Nolan.

Coolrockski
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM

hell yeah that is money gun

c4l1d3n
06-11-2013, 01:54 PM
I do like Nolans character but I'm partial to The Walking Dead so... :P

Nefarious
06-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Rick Grimes? That Beta male? Every choice he makes in that show is ******ed. And not to mention he would sit out side the tent while Shane plowed Lori. Don't get me started. I can name 1 million and 1 stupid things Rick has done.

So far Nolan is Aces.

Covington
06-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I do like Nolans character but I'm partial to The Walking Dead so... :P

I keep saying if Michonne was in Defiance (instead of Irisa) that place would be perfect... don't get me wrong I don't hate Irisa but they had such a great opportunity and blew it.

c4l1d3n
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
I keep saying if Michonne was in Defiance (instead of Irisa) that place would be perfect... don't get me wrong I don't hate Irisa but they had such a great opportunity and blew it.
Yes! and Daryl as an Archunter!

Coolrockski
06-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Ok, Nolan is cool and my favorite on the show..but Rick is one bad *** nother f***er. Ok, he was too nice to Laurie/Shaone, but he got Shane in the end with a wicked knife kill...and come on, the hatchet to the prisoners head out of no where. I'm not sure why people down him for going crazy. He lost his wife and had to kill his former best friend in a world of zombies.it would drive most people crazy. But in terms of his fighting skills, I can epic..maybe not Check Norris, but still epic....

Coolrockski
06-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Yup, agree with this. But I think the Nolan/Irisa combo have a ton of potential instead of this Melrose place crap we have been getting..

Anderson
06-11-2013, 02:11 PM
The Walking Dead is a poor man's everything.

Covington
06-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes! and Daryl as an Archunter!

I would have made on in the game id we had arrows... I really thought about it, Daryl is a great Irathian.

Covington
06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Ok, Nolan is cool and my favorite on the show..but Rick is one bad *** nother f***er. Ok, he was too nice to Laurie/Shaone, but he got Shane in the end with a wicked knife kill...and come on, the hatchet to the prisoners head out of no where. I'm not sure why people down him for going crazy. He lost his wife and had to kill his former best friend in a world of zombies.it would drive most people crazy. But in terms of his fighting skills, I can epic..maybe not Check Norris, but still epic....

I think its just all that sweat , wild eyes, and freakish behavior... I am Team Daryl. Hershel is kinda awesome too.

TIER ONE
06-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Ash from Army of Darkness would wipe the floor with both of em' "shop smart, shop S-Mart...."

Covington
06-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Ash from Army of Darkness would wipe the floor with both of em' "shop smart, shop S-Mart...."

http://25.media.tumblr.com/033922ced7de2b47157acb794e19774f/tumblr_mld4daBrSW1s73ycwo1_400.gif

Always!

TIER ONE
06-11-2013, 02:31 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/033922ced7de2b47157acb794e19774f/tumblr_mld4daBrSW1s73ycwo1_400.gif

Always!

HaHa yes!! "Give me some sugar, baby"

Covington
06-11-2013, 02:32 PM
HaHa yes!! "Give me some sugar, baby"

Honestly wouldn't we all just wanna go back and reroll our characters and make them all ASH... now knowing the game in and out.

Commandermech
06-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Nolan is a better character than rick. Derrel is the best walking dead character easy.

TIER ONE
06-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Honestly wouldn't we all just wanna go back and reroll our characters and make them all ASH... now knowing the game in and out.

I'm in if i can have a chainsaw attached to my toons arm.. must have Bruce Campbell provide some one liners after killing some dark matter tho. "you have something on your face" BLAM BLAM lol

Covington
06-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm in if i can have a chainsaw attached to my toons arm.. must have Bruce Campbell provide some one liners after killing some dark matter tho. "you have something on your face" BLAM BLAM lol

There will be the Castithan blades... oooooo.

Cavadus
06-11-2013, 03:05 PM
How does Rick beat Nolan in a gun fight?

Rick is just some cop schlub while Nolan has an entire military career behind him as mechanized and light infantry. Rick wouldn't even be awake when Nolan killed him.

KBob
06-11-2013, 03:09 PM
How does Rick beat Nolan in a gun fight?

Rick is just some cop schlub while Nolan has an entire military career behind as mechanized and light infantry. Rick wouldn't even be awake when Nolan killed him.

Luckily for all of us - it doesn't matter how someone looks in a gunfight, what matters is - how someone shoots :)

3rdpig
06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Luckily for all of us - it doesn't matter how someone looks in a gunfight, what matters is - how someone shoots :)

How someone is trained, trains and thinks is more important than how they shoot. The reason being is the person who is trained well, trains often and has the correct mindset will be ready to shoot sooner, present their weapon faster, shoot their weapon sooner, and not be where the other person plans on shooting. Training counts before, during and after a gun fight.

A Frikn Grizzly
06-11-2013, 03:32 PM
I like Nolan as a person WAY better than Rick. Rick is kinda creepy and freaky. Nolan is a rugged fun guy.

In a gun fight - Rick.
In a bar fight - Nolan.

In a zombie fight?

Covington
06-11-2013, 03:36 PM
In a zombie fight?

We will see soon... That's a gun thing so I will go with Rick.

Cyripax NeoPrime
06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Walking dead is my FAVORITE show/comic/collective property....... I agree rick is bad *** in the world hes from. The world he lives in and deals with is however much different than Defiance. I think the whole zombie apocalypse is a much saner experience than the whole world populated by aliens/ everything has changed as we know it. (id rather live in the zombie world)
I think rick is great with guns and knifes, but I just dont see him going up against a bioman and walking away. Rick is my hero, but hes a scrawny guy. Nolan is built and would definately win hand to hand against rick. Rick may have a rugged face, but cant take the pounding nolan can. Plus nolan is just as good with a gun. So im leaving weapons out of it.

Walking dead is a much, much better show, but nolan would take rick for sure.......I do like andrew lincolns accent better than grant bowlers though.

treadingwater
06-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Nothing at all alike, nor meant to be. Seriously, what a ****ing stupid thread to make.

Coolrockski
06-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Nothing at all alike, nor meant to be. Seriously, what a ****ing stupid thread to make.

I'm sorry...trion sucks, trion sucks, trion sucks. Better?

Covington
06-11-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry...trion sucks, trion sucks, trion sucks. Better?
http://i.imgur.com/fnCzukI.gif

Well played!

Hanzo_the_Razor
06-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Rick is a much better written character. Nolan, however, would beat the sh*t out of him anyday. Maybe not be the best character ever, but in terms of battle experience, Rick is still in training compared to Nolan.

Uvirith
06-12-2013, 12:12 AM

Michone and Irisa are basically the same person. Annoying, *****y little pricks.

As of Rick vs Nolan. I wouldnt compare them, the circumstances are too different. I think every person on the world would have snapped after the things Rick went through. After all he is just a policeman from the contry. Nolan on the other hand is a battle-hardened ex-soldier with a ton of experience.
So of course Rick makes more mistakes and acts creepier.

Ominous
06-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Nolan is a better character than rick. Derrel is the best walking dead character easy.

This.
/10char

Jokerzwild
06-12-2013, 02:25 AM
Would take Nolan in a fight anyday of the week, I love Walking Dead but Rick is a wishywashy wimp most the time. Noland would kill him the second he marked him as a danger to him or people he is looking out for. Rick has hesitated or flaked alot.

Serenity
06-12-2013, 03:34 AM

Rick is just ultra badass

Sdric
06-12-2013, 03:41 AM
I actually like Nolan more.
Rick is this overly caring wanna-be hero who slowly gets insane.

Nolan is a former soldier who is tired of living like a nomad.
While he doesn't want to be a soldier anymore he can't deny that he needs an occasional fight for thrill and excitement.

Rick has the setting to make him shine / stand out as a hero.
If the Defiance setting was more survival horror based Nolan would to the same job I presume.

However, Nolan has a decent sense of humor what makes him more sympatic.

P.S.
I find Rick's son more badass than his father.

Covington
06-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Michone and Irisa are basically the same person. Annoying, *****y little pricks.

They are the dead opposite - is it women that annoy you or bratty loud women, or quiet women?

I also had no idea a woman could be a prick... interesting.

Very odd thing to say there Uvirith.

Ensu
06-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Rick's lasted in scary zombie land for a year or so?

Nolan's been chasing Arkfalls for a couple decades. Man's got experience and a proven survival record.

Covington
06-12-2013, 06:02 AM
Rick's lasted in scary zombie land for a year or so?

Nolan's been chasing Arkfalls for a couple decades. Man's got experience and a proven survival record.

Police officer or War trained Vet... but Rick is a better shot - Nolan misses a lot (due to the nature of the shows not the characters).

Ensu - LOVE your siggie!

Coolrockski
06-12-2013, 06:06 AM
I blame the Rick dislike on the past season. Friends and I have had a long and drawn out Rick vs. Daryl debate and the majority take Daryl, including every woman, lol. I think people forgot in past season how lethal of a killer Rick was..Shane, prisoner with hatchet, shootout in bar. I realize he isn't miliaty trained, but he is more of a natural brawler and definitely nice with the pistol and knife.

Nolan, who is cool as hell and definitely can fight, just looks like he wouldn't go as hard in a one on one. Now, if someone attacked Irisa and Nolan was fighting to save her, I give him the motivational edge...

And yes I know this is all make believe, but friends and I have been talking about these things for years..Chuck Norris, Jack Bauer, Arnold (back in the day)..

Coolrockski
06-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Police officer or War trained Vet... but Rick is a better shot - Nolan misses a lot (due to the nature of the shows not the characters).

Ensu - LOVE your siggie!

Agree with all of this..including Stahma. She isn't my favorite, but is hot no doubt.

Uvirith
06-12-2013, 06:13 AM
They are the dead opposite - is it women that annoy you or bratty loud women, or quiet women?

I dont know, they both annoy me in the same way. Silent, but overly agressive. Angry and irrational with outbursts of odd behavior.
Oh, and its definitely not women per se. Characters like them are extremely overdrawn.

Shogo_Yahagi
06-12-2013, 06:49 AM
I love The Walking Dead, but I'm going to have to go with Nolan on this one.

Oh, no! It's social interaction! Rick is a humorless ****. Nolan is the life of the damn party. Advantage Nolan.

Oh, no! It's an ethical dilemma! Rick will waffle on and on and look for his dead wife for 3 or 4 episodes. Then he'll get someone else to handle it for him. Then he'll try unsuccessfully to stop the other person from handling it for him. He may eventually show up too late to pick up the pieces. Or not. Someone else may handle that for him too. Nolan will think for almost half a second before shooting the WMD designer in his face. Problem solved. Advantage, Nolan.

Oh, no! It's a wolf in sheep's clothing! Shane finally has to try to kill Rick before he finally gets it. Sthama is just minding her own business doing her crazy alien knitting, and Nolan still knows the score. Advantage, Nolan. Speaking of the White Heat...

Oh, no! It's girls! Rick will spend two whole seasons being a whiny little ***** while his best friend tries to hook up with his wife... again. Later, he'll spend an entire season seeing his dead wife because he feels bad about not talking to the cheating unlikeable cow about her feelings enough. Nolan sleeps with the local madam once and she wants to be his girlfriend. Later, when she changes her mind, he doesn't cause a scene, he just moves on... to her sister. Advantage, Nolan.

Oh, no! It's baddies! Rick lets walkers stroll around his home with impunity for an entire season and can't even be bothered to stab them in the face through a fence more than once or twice. In a single episode, Nolan wipes out an entire army of vicious armored alien killing machines with tanks, giant robots, and walking artillery just for walking toward a town that he visited once. Advantage, Nolan.

I'll grant that Rick has more interesting friends than Nolan does, but what, exactly, does Rick do better than Nolan?

Scruffyscottishdude
06-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Nolan for sure but I still remember Bowler as Wolfgang West in a kiwi tv show called Outragous Fortune.