PDA

View Full Version : Requested since beta: adjustable ADS (zoom) curser speed

Sdric
06-12-2013, 03:36 PM
I know this is getting old.

It has been brought up again and again, it's not even difficult to programm.
Just another slider in the options menu and variable instead of a fixed value in the settings.
I know it's only a real issue for PC users but this makes - especially pvp - extremely unenjoyable.

I don't mind people bunny-hopping around.
However I do mind dragging my mouse over half of my table just in order to follow them when ADS'd.

You can either decide to have a messed up zoom, or your mouse is so sensitive thay you turn 720 when a slight wind blows at your mouse.

Sure, moderm mice all do have sensity adjustment butteons - but it is not tolerable to press 3 buttons just to zoom (adjust sensity -> zoom -> remove adjustment).

I beg you, please fix this already.

ADS: Aim Down Sight = right-click /zoom

Litego
06-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Could not agree more! Me myself have already made two threads about this. One during beta and one a week ago when I bought the game thinking this must have surely been fixed.

Xanirus
06-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Personally, I don't care if this get's implemented or not, as I've already been adjusted to games that either allow individual adjustment of ADS modes or not. This is both on PC and consoles, and I mostly game on PC, including Defiance. (I would think it would be more of a problem not having it with consoles though, not PC.)

However, I don't think it's a matter of whether or not they can do this easily or not. (They most likely can.) Rather, it might be from a design perspective. I've never really held a real life rifle before, onlyl toys and electronic guns in the arcade, but due to the weight I can only assume that in real life it is more difficult to move just as fast from the hip when aiming down the sights, when you only have your shoulders and arms to support holding it up. I think it would only be natural for a person to slow down a bit when he is trying to get pinpoint accuracy. So either we don't have this option because it's an oversight, or it's intentional.

greatdividers
06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
all you have to do is let go of right click for a split second while aiming towards the moving target, you will pan over quickly as you'll no longer be zoomed, then re-press right click when you're aimed at the target.

it's kinda like witchcraft, but with a mouse!

3rdpig
06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
If as you say, it's not difficult to code, why not just write it up and send it to them?

Litego
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
However, I don't think it's a matter of whether or not they can do this easily or not. (They most likely can.) Rather, it might be from a design perspective. I've never really held a real life rifle before, onlyl toys and electronic guns in the arcade, but due to the weight I can only assume that in real life it is more difficult to move just as fast from the hip when aiming down the sights, when you only have your shoulders and arms to support holding it up. I think it would only be natural for a person to slow down a bit when he is trying to get pinpoint accuracy. So either we don't have this option because it's an oversight, or it's intentional.
Sure, you can't really sprint while ADSing IRL, but your turning speed is not handicapped like that. And even if that was the case it is a terrible design decision when it can be countered by using a sniper button or DPI buttons. No, the entire problem comes from this being a console port, that's it.

all you have to do is let go of right click for a split second while aiming towards the moving target, you will pan over quickly as you'll no longer be zoomed, then re-press right click when you're aimed at the target.

Bandaid solution, useless.

If as you say, it's not difficult to code, why not just write it up and send it to them?
The code is already written, all they need to do is allow us to change the value for ADS sens. The most time consuming part of this is the UI development for the slider. Then they just bind the slider to the value of ADS sensitivity. Which is as easy as something like this:

void Slider_ValueChanged( Object^ /*sender*/, System::EventArgs^ /*e*/ )
{
ADS_Sensitivity.value = Slider.value;
}

But an easier fix would be to allow us to use a chat command or access the console to manually change the value through text, no UI work needed.

Sdric
06-14-2013, 02:02 AM

That's not real solution.
I used to quickscope in AvA.
But there weapons at least had weapon damage.
If I try this with an AR in defiance I'll maybe deal 50~70 damage at 40 range.
I could aswell stop shooting than keep re-scoping for such little damage.
You have to follow your target.
Not to mention that the constant re-adjusting eats a lot of time.

greatdividers
06-14-2013, 10:33 AM
If I try this with an AR in defiance I'll maybe deal 50~70 damage at 40 range.
I could aswell stop shooting than keep re-scoping for such little damage.

this has absolutely nothing to do with what i said, or this topic for that matter.

Not to mention that the constant re-adjusting eats a lot of time.

no it doesn't. as soon as your target is out of your xhair you let go of right click, pan, and re-right click. worst case scenario it's milliseconds slower than if you could stay ADS.

just curious, what is your in game sensitivity at? mine is 7 i think. i honestly haven't found this to be an issue. i'm either far enough away that the lowered sensitivity isn't an issue or i'm close enough to hipfire *shrugs*

Litego
06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
just curious, what is your in game sensitivity at? mine is 7 i think.
It always irks me when someone says what their sensitivity is without realizing that arbitrary numbers don't mean anything. Yours is at 7, ah ok, how sensitive is 7? I have no idea!

I'm sorry for the confusion, let me explain. Sensitivity is affected by many factors, and in-game sensitivity is just one of them. In order to know how sensitive 7 is I would have to also know what your windows sensitivity, mouse DPI, if enhance pointer precision is on, and in this game I would need to know your average frame rate as well, seeing as they force mouse smoothing on us too. And in the case of driver acceleration or sensitivity, I would have to know that too. That's why saying your in-game sensitivity doesn't mean anything, and that is why we use a different metric, which is cm/360 or inches/360. Figuring this number out is as easy as turning 360 degrees in-game and measuring how far you moved your mouse IRL.

Mine is at 37cm/360 while hip firing, which puts it at some ridiculous value while scoping, I haven't measured, but I'm sure we're talking about a few meters of mouse movement to do a 360. So when enemies get in close it is impossible for me to keep up while in ADS. I'm a veteran FPS gamer, changing my sensitivity to fit with terrible controls of one game is not an option.

greatdividers
06-14-2013, 12:14 PM
It always irks me when someone says what their sensitivity is without realizing that arbitrary numbers don't mean anything. Yours is at 7, ah ok, how sensitive is 7? I have no idea!

I'm sorry for the confusion, let me explain. Sensitivity is affected by many factors, and in-game sensitivity is just one of them. In order to know how sensitive 7 is I would have to also know what your windows sensitivity, mouse DPI, if enhance pointer precision is on, and in this game I would need to know your average frame rate as well, seeing as they force mouse smoothing on us too. And in the case of driver acceleration or sensitivity, I would have to know that too. That's why saying your in-game sensitivity doesn't mean anything, and that is why we use a different metric, which is cm/360 or inches/360. Figuring this number out is as easy as turning 360 degrees in-game and measuring how far you moved your mouse IRL.

Mine is at 37cm/360 while hip firing, which puts it at some ridiculous value while scoping, I haven't measured, but I'm sure we're talking about a few meters of mouse movement to do a 360. So when enemies get in close it is impossible for me to keep up while in ADS. I'm a veteran FPS gamer, changing my sensitivity to fit with terrible controls of one game is not an option.

good point... 37cm/360 seems like it is waaaay more than what i'm using. i would guesstimate mine is closer to 10cm/360