PDA

View Full Version : Hilariously expensive game items.

MagellanD
06-12-2013, 04:36 PM
If you think this store is expensive.

I wouldn't want to be any of these dudes paying these prices.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-most-ludicrously-expensive-items-in-online-gaming/

For real you paid that much for an IN GAME Sword...BEFORE the game came out?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7p5olVD4b1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

TIER ONE
06-12-2013, 04:54 PM
ok...i dont feel so bad now regarding the $$$ I dropped playing Defiance

MagellanD
06-12-2013, 04:55 PM
ok...i dont feel so bad now regarding the $$$ I dropped playing Defiance

I can't believe that sword. Like really? you have that much money to spend on things and you buy ONE in game item.

KeevanSixx
06-12-2013, 05:05 PM
that's just insane!

but it does prove a valid point about the human species....

Ensu
06-12-2013, 05:43 PM
That was a hilarious read, thanks.

Wtflag
06-12-2013, 05:51 PM
I like Cracked. Especially when they have articles about nature and games.

baelrusk
06-12-2013, 05:58 PM
but it does prove a valid point about the human species....

Just a little fact so nobody take it as being flamed.

Homosapiens (humans for those who didn't know) as a species are naturally stupid. Very, very stupid.
Just look for a long time at human history (at least the percent that we actually have records of).

Not singling any person out or even a group from here. Just a little thing about human-kind as a species.

Ensu
06-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Developed writing, developed architecture, developed space travel.

Sure, naturally stupid.

Humans are what they make themselves.

KeevanSixx
06-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Just a little fact so nobody take it as being flamed.

Homosapiens (humans for those who didn't know) as a species are naturally stupid. Very, very stupid.
Just look for a long time at human history (at least the percent that we actually have records of).

Not singling any person out or even a group from here. Just a little thing about human-kind as a species.

lol......I wouldn't say we have incredibly bad luck with thinking.....more like, the human animal finds the most efficient means to accomplish mundane tasks...

In the gaming world, the human animal (without much thought) will spend inordinate amounts of real currency to acquire virtual items in a bid for supremacy. The human animal, above all the rest of creation, craves power and mastery over it's domain.

basically, for some humans, the need to "buy to win" outweighs the merits of earning the same items through in game means. given the choice between two paths, humans will choose the road of least resistance every time.

for example:

take the most powerful laptop on the planet, tape a 100 dollar bill to the outside, wrap it in a waterproof bag, and then encase it in a 10ft by 10ft block of ice with a small icepick laying on a stool by it's side. Now tell that person they can have all that for FREE.....all they need to do is pick up the tool, and chip away at the ice till they reach it.

now, take that same computer....put it into a vending machine with an insanely huge price tag attached to it, and place the machine and the ice block side by side, and give them a choice....a little work with a huge payoff, or instant gratification.....

some will be contented with chipping away until they reach their goal and rewards...

others will shill out the money to have it right now, even though it's the same item in two available formats....

Sanguinesun
06-12-2013, 06:27 PM
I know a ******ed text based game(a MUD) that charges 100 bucks for exp boosts, currency, and all manner of other things including random chances at better things in game. Those random things are then resold by some players for 300 or more bucks.

How sad is that.

treadingwater
06-12-2013, 06:30 PM
WoW charges you 25 dollars to move your character from one server to another. Basically some Blizzard employee opens up the program and makes a couple clicks and boom you're out 25 dollars.

Sanguinesun
06-12-2013, 06:55 PM
WoW charges you 25 dollars to move your character from one server to another. Basically some Blizzard employee opens up the program and makes a couple clicks and boom you're out 25 dollars.

Its automated. They dont even need to pay a CS rep to do that.

Uvirith
06-12-2013, 11:22 PM
I guess they didnt include kickstarter-money? Because for a trip to the developer and a weapon carrying your name you can spend 50.000 Dollars at almost every kickstarter, years before the actual release :)

Redman20
06-12-2013, 11:49 PM
In that link. #4....

Lexi Belle
:3

Mmmmmmm....

MagellanD
06-13-2013, 05:20 AM
lol......I wouldn't say we have incredibly bad luck with thinking.....more like, the human animal finds the most efficient means to accomplish mundane tasks...

In the gaming world, the human animal (without much thought) will spend inordinate amounts of real currency to acquire virtual items in a bid for supremacy. The human animal, above all the rest of creation, craves power and mastery over it's domain.

basically, for some humans, the need to "buy to win" outweighs the merits of earning the same items through in game means. given the choice between two paths, humans will choose the road of least resistance every time.

for example:

take the most powerful laptop on the planet, tape a 100 dollar bill to the outside, wrap it in a waterproof bag, and then encase it in a 10ft by 10ft block of ice with a small icepick laying on a stool by it's side. Now tell that person they can have all that for FREE.....all they need to do is pick up the tool, and chip away at the ice till they reach it.

now, take that same computer....put it into a vending machine with an insanely huge price tag attached to it, and place the machine and the ice block side by side, and give them a choice....a little work with a huge payoff, or instant gratification.....

some will be contented with chipping away until they reach their goal and rewards...

others will shill out the money to have it right now, even though it's the same item in two available formats....

If it was an option or not I'd bring a hair dryer and take the lazy free way out.