PDA

View Full Version : From MMORPG to TPSMMO = confusing!

Skeety
03-24-2013, 02:42 PM
I've always played MMORPG type games (such as RIFT), Defiance is the very first TPSMMO for me. I find learning how to use the keyboard in Defiance very confusing! I've prepurchased but I'm giving up on the few hours of Beta because I'm just lost. I spent much time trying to figure out how to show the big map because I wanted to try setting waypoints, only to discover that the M key doesn't even start working until doing the training mission. Then I was very confused trying to equip a looted gun, only to finally discover I had to double-click it in Inventory to do that. Then I just gave up and logged off until the game is released because I couldn't figure out how to activate my shield so I could kill the decoys. More accurately, it seemed I could not log off in combat and I had to kill the game! TPSMMO game control is so very alien to me coming from a MMORPG history as it goes against all my muscle memory, things like the mouse scroll changing weapons instead of zooming my point of view, the Q and E keys not being used to strafe, and so on. I've researched and seen lots of vids and guides that say how to play the game, but what I've not discovered are guides that don't assume you know HOW and WHY to use keys or sequences of keys to do game control things! They all seem to assume previous usage of TPSMMO games. Can anyone point me to that kind of newbie information that's related to Defiance? I'm not talking about using the keys like shown at wiki sites. I mean keyboard sequences for such things as how to change to weapons that are in inventory, and how to do other keyboard sequences just to do things (like be able to activate a shield and so on). And some explanation about all the stuff I'm seeing on the UI would be very nice too! TIA for any links or comments that help, I'm sure it will help me enjoy the game come its launch date.

Migrayne
03-24-2013, 03:16 PM
If you listen to your EGO implant she tells you to hit 1 to activate your ego abilities.

You don't have to double click an item to equip it. You can click it once then click on equip at the bottom of the screen. The basic controlled are similar to any shooter.

The tutorial flashes up on the screen many of the keys you hit to do things. If you goto settings and look at the controls you'll see what the keys do and you can change most of them.

Skeety
03-24-2013, 03:42 PM
If you listen to your EGO implant she tells you to hit 1 to activate your ego abilities.

You don't have to double click an item to equip it. You can click it once then click on equip at the bottom of the screen. The basic controlled are similar to any shooter.

The tutorial flashes up on the screen many of the keys you hit to do things. If you goto settings and look at the controls you'll see what the keys do and you can change most of them.

Thanks, Migrayne. Pressing 1 worked the first time for me and the shield activated, but after that the EGO just kept repeating that I needed to activate the shield (not how to do it) and pressing 1 wasn't working for me anymore for some reason. Maybe I accidentally disabled it somehow and don't understand the UI enough to recognize it yet or what to do if I did that.

I tried to look for keybinds but I guess my method of doing so was bad, thanks for that tip and it should help me some. I mentioned that this is my very first shooter game, so I don't know how things are normally done in them. Tips like you gave me are much appreciated.:)

Auxilare
03-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Despite what people say; I will call this an MMOTPSRPG :)
Took some time to get used to the keybinds, but when I got them, they were quite natural...

Skeety
03-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Despite what people say; I will call this an MMOTPSRPG :)
Took some time to get used to the keybinds, but when I got them, they were quite natural...
That's quite a mouthful, I'm sure glad I understand the abbreviation "MMOTPSRPG". It's a good thing I don't have to verbally pronounce it or type it out in full!

Yes, before PC Beta ends I'll login again and copy down the Settings > Controls keybindings info so I can put it in the MMOTPSRPG newbie notes I've been trying to make for myself.:) Things like There is integrated voice chat in PvP that can't be turned off! Don't say regretful things!;)

edit
After finally finding a no combat area I was able to experiment and finally found out that F6 brings up the Settings menu (I didn't know that and Esc was confusingly bringing up the Ego menu), and then clicking on Controls and then on Remapping, brought up the 3 tabs for key bindings. There are lots of them. I copied them all to my newbie notes. Success! Then I finally discovered there is no keybind to exit game, instead I must press F6, click on Account, and then click on Exit Game. Success again! Now I can printout some newbie notes and place them where I can see them until memorized. So confusing when procedures are unknown!

mcwjimbo
03-24-2013, 04:53 PM
.....things like the mouse scroll changing weapons instead of zooming my point of view, .......

^ huge pet peeve of mine, but 3 days and seem to be breaking self of the habit of touching the mouse scroll

Skeety
03-24-2013, 05:24 PM
^ huge pet peeve of mine, but 3 days and seem to be breaking self of the habit of touching the mouse scroll
Don't like changing weapons that way? I'll probably turn off scrolling in my game mouse profile for Defiance and reassign scroll up/scroll down to separate mouse buttons. I don't want to do much but move with my left hand. At least I now have a list of all the keybinds (edited my previous message) after I discovered that F6 instead of Esc brings up Settings, stuff I didn't find in an online guide or in a wiki. Searched for many hours last night. That helps me a lot, but too late to really enjoy the one day of beta I was able to get but I'll be somewhat ahead of other complete shooter newbs on launch day! Looks like a very fun game.