PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Recommendations

Billy Guile
06-14-2013, 10:08 PM
So I've played around with a few. Ranging from autos with high cap mags, to the two shot stop with miserable reload time.

All in all, I've been extremely disappointed with their damage numbers. Since I'm still in the learning stages of making weapons worth using, has anyone found good combinations and types?

My playstyle usually has me ultimately getting in the face of the larger hellbugs. It's just way more satisfying to smack them in the face with a shotgun. Thanks in advance.

Deikon
06-14-2013, 10:23 PM
So I've played around with a few. Ranging from autos with high cap mags, to the two shot stop with miserable reload time.

All in all, I've been extremely disappointed with their damage numbers. Since I'm still in the learning stages of making weapons worth using, has anyone found good combinations and types?

My playstyle usually has me ultimately getting in the face of the larger hellbugs. It's just way more satisfying to smack them in the face with a shotgun. Thanks in advance.

Combat shotguns.....I like a VOT auto-fragger. And for a pump shotgun....I like a VOT grind fragger. I'd also add a cluster shot is good but you'll hurt yourself if you shoot it too close to enemies. But, both those shotguns are good with melee, power chokes, rapid reloader mods. No scopes though.....scoping with a shottie is just dumb.

Billy Guile
06-14-2013, 10:24 PM
thanks for the suggestions. i'll try to find them

Muffins
06-15-2013, 12:37 AM
I only like Combat Shotguns since it reloads an entire mag as opposed to Pump Shotguns which require multiple reloads.
Though pumps tend to have higher damage, and can be perked to reload amazingly fast but I don't like them still.

Sawed off are pretty good to I find, but only as a secondary, and with prepared perk. It's like every 10 seconds you get a 'take a lot of their HP' button.

Shada Mori
06-15-2013, 02:54 AM
Shotgun recommendation... don't use them.

But if you must the only one I find tolerable is the VOT Fragger.. which yes, is a pump action. The VOT Nano Fragger is still a beast as a sawn off, and will still one shot common and most lieutenant level mobs with a bit of aim. The berzerker is OKAY if you get the right nano effects on it... namely elec, fire, or syphon. Most other shotguns just plain suck now. The VOT Auto-Fragger used to be my favorite gun in the game, if a bit overpowered, but in an attempt for balance like most game companies they completely nerfed it into a paper weight.

FantasyMeister
06-15-2013, 03:02 AM
Favourite combat shotgun is the VBI CS-X Cluster Shot - 10 high damage grenades, works great on most mob types
Favourite pump shotgun is the VOT Grind Fragger - 8 shot, fully automatic, great for leveling up the pump shotgun skill if you haven't already done it. In PvP I use a regular VOT Fragger - 8 shot, but not fully automatic and huge damage at point blank.
Favourite sawn off is the VOT Nano Fragger, again I only use this in PvP for a one-shot kill from cloak at point blank, not much use to me in PvE.

(In PvP I use a VBI TACC Assault with a 47 mag size and a VBI GL-1 Ground Pounder modded for 6 shots which makes short work of all Hellbugs, from Skitterlings to Matrons, takes down Blacklungs pretty quickly, and Dekuso might as well not have a shield because the Ground Pounder removes it so quickly).

DjSeraphim
06-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Combat shotguns.....I like a VOT auto-fragger. And for a pump shotgun....I like a VOT grind fragger. I'd also add a cluster shot is good but you'll hurt yourself if you shoot it too close to enemies. But, both those shotguns are good with melee, power chokes, rapid reloader mods. No scopes though.....scoping with a shottie is just dumb.

Just use a hip scope mk3 doesn't add a scope just makes reticule smaller anyone NOT using those scopes is a full scale ret@rd.

Billy Guile
06-15-2013, 05:26 AM
seems that the shotguns are more of just an extra toy to bring along for the lulz. thanks for the input, everyone. i'm gonna get back to honing my assault rifles and long rifles.

i thought shotguns would be a more effective tool against npc's like those grenade throwing 99er dudes who have annoyingly fast reload times :(

angryglock
06-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Just about any shotgun with the Intimation Perk = 2 shot death. First shot usually knocks them back, second shot gets a +75% damage buff due to the knockback. This is especially fun with a Vot Grinder that does two shots sequentially with each trigger pull. Siphon is a plus since watching them disintegrate in mid-air is a blast.

Burncykle
06-15-2013, 07:58 AM
Best Shotty's:

Pump - VOT Fragger. VOT Grind Fragger is useless now that they nerfed its pellets. The Fragger has a tighter hip spread and does more damage per clip.

Combat - TACC Auto-Shotgun for its clip size or VOT Auto-Fragger for its fire rate. Depends which you like better.

Sawed-Off's - Courier only one I like since mag nerfs.

Muffins
06-15-2013, 07:59 AM
seems that the shotguns are more of just an extra toy to bring along for the lulz. thanks for the input, everyone. i'm gonna get back to honing my assault rifles and long rifles.

i thought shotguns would be a more effective tool against npc's like those grenade throwing 99er dudes who have annoyingly fast reload times :(

It's alllllllll preference. Only shotgun I really find effective to carry with me is a Sawed Off Shotgun with Prepardness perk.
Those flaming 99'ers, as a heavy explosives user when I use the sawed off it's so nice to put a grin on your face when you see the flaming guys run to you, all I can think of is 'yes, yes... closer...", WHO'S DYING NOW!

Favourite combat shotgun is the VBI CS-X Cluster Shot - 10 high damage grenades, works great on most mob types
I used to love that thing but now days I can't use it for squat. I find it to only really be effective against skitterlings and not much else... Guess I've been spoiled by other explosives.

Cavadus
06-15-2013, 08:48 AM
I'm partial to the FRC Auto-Scattergun which is the slugthrower. If you can find one with an accuracy bonus or two you're golden, IMO. Throw a falloff barrel, expanded magazine, hip-fire sight, and recoil stock on there and you'll have a beast of a killing machine.

You can get a really nice one off the Top Notch rep vendor that has a radioactive nano on it for 200 rep though the bonuses escape me (and I'm at work so I can't check).

Burncykle
06-15-2013, 09:13 AM

I always carry a shotty as my secondary in open world, they wreck face when the mobs get too close. I run a shotty as my primary for co-op runs and rarely am I not 1st in total damage. I'd say that's a bit more serious than a toy for the lulz.