PDA

View Full Version : Dev: "... the level of control we can have over simple things like weather"

Lusus Naturae
06-18-2013, 01:15 AM
In one of the pre-release promotion videos "Making of Defiance",

http://www.syfy.com/videos/Defiance/The%20Making%20Of/vid:2638012

one of the Devs makes mention of the ability of "... the level of control we can have over simple things like weather" and at frames at 17:53 to 17:56 shows RAIN as an example with the Paradise Territory Vendor and Eastshore Docks as the back drop, yet no where in the released game has the sky clouded over and it rained.
I'm on the PC version, have been playing since Beta and have not seen it rain yet.
Has anyone else?

Shada Mori
06-18-2013, 01:53 AM
I've ran into fog, but not rain. Lots of particle effects during ark falls, especially scrapper ones. No idea why it doesn't rain.

Arrielle Shaw
06-18-2013, 02:12 AM
I've actually been wondering why more weather effects haven't been added. The only thing close is when you notice a piece of Ark falling from the sky to open up a minor Arkfall event, or the debris shower in a major arkfall area, but that's more or less celestial weather, rather than terrestrial weather. The game has an issue with rendering fog and activating anything while indoors, or at least while activating something in Headlands Transit's garage.

Billy Guile
06-18-2013, 02:13 AM
i did watch the sun rise near the docks(no ****). i think the clouds were actually passing by. couldnt tell though, cause the lens flare of the sun had me in its spell O_O

Arsenic_Touch
06-18-2013, 02:39 AM
Consolitis. The only explanation.

Billy Guile
06-18-2013, 04:35 AM
ok. i did look up, and the clouds move. looks pretty nice too... on pc.

IGears
06-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Consolitis. The only explanation.

yep.. so pretty much you can just give up trying to get it.

Shada Mori
06-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Freakin' consolers. They are like the Irathients of the internet... dirty diseased creatures amongst us trying to bring us all down. :kidding of course... mostly..:

crasher
06-18-2013, 11:55 AM
I've ran into fog, but not rain. Lots of particle effects during ark falls, especially scrapper ones. No idea why it doesn't rain.
I've been thinking that the 'Fog' and 'haze' effect is used much of the time mostly to cover the fact that you can't see/scope long sight distances for sniping, so it lessens the casual complaints from people who would only tend to snipe once in a while.

Cavadus
06-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah, back in the days of early alpha your second weapon was shown slung on the back of your avatar. Then they added in mods changing the appearance of weapons.

Consoles couldn't handle that many mesh and texture requests so they had to remove the second weapon.

Lusus Naturae
06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Ok consensus, no one has seen it rain... though clearly utilized as a pre-release hype tool.
(Much like the campaigning strategies of our elected leaders claiming the guise of delivering a wonderful *something* but falling grossly short once elected.)

or

The weather (rain) must be one of those "simple things" the Devs DO NOT have control over in their own game.

Iceberg
06-18-2013, 08:14 PM
It got trioned, it was too taxing on the hamster so they had to "fix" it.

baelrusk
06-19-2013, 07:06 AM
It got trioned, it was too taxing on the hamster so they had to "fix" it.

Depressing isn't it....

Even more so since I believe they were nearly bragging about it in some of the developer videos commentaries or something like that.

Arrielle Shaw
06-19-2013, 07:09 AM
That was the argument as to why it rained in covered structures (not interiors, mind you) in Morrowind, and Morrowind released in 2001 or something around there. If I recall correctly, a player made mod fixed it, with little to no performance issues.

FriendlyStranger
06-19-2013, 08:24 AM
For the first week, maybe even two after release it rained in Defiance. It was one of those things they removed without mentioning it.