PDA

View Full Version : Target Reticle accuracy issues

Ashlocke
06-20-2013, 04:35 PM
I've noticed that certain weapons when you place the target reticle on your target the shot is *way* off the mark. Now I'm not talking about bloom here but rather that certain weapons have their shots no where near the target reticle.

The biggest offender so far is the Northstar Flare. You can do this test yourself to verify. Find a target, place the reticle dead center of the target, shoot. Your shot will NOT hit the target. In order for you to hit the target you have to *always* place the reticle about 1 meter (guestimating) to the right of the target in order for you to hit it. In this example I am using no scope, just hip and aimed fire.

Another example is the FRC Matchlock Boomer, this one isn't as pronounced as the Northstar Flare but it is noticeable that you have to aim about half the target body to the right in order to hit the target's center.

Now I'm not really sure if this is intentional or if the weapons need to be adjusted for accuracy. It would be helpful to know.

If anyone knows the scoop or if the Devs at some point in the past ever mentioned this, please share. Thanks.

Either way, it would be swell if the Devs fixed this issue since it makes using different weapons awkward when you get used to firing dead center of your reticle then swap weapons and have to suddenly start shooting to the right of the reticle in order to actually shoot dead center of the target.

ncanning
06-20-2013, 04:47 PM
All the weapons that require "lobbing" are like that. So flares, detonators, cluster shots, etc.

Not sure why exactly, but even in the real world a scope on weapons like that would be messed up, it's easy too compensate for at least.

Ashlocke
06-20-2013, 04:52 PM
All the weapons that require "lobbing" are like that. So flares, detonators, cluster shots, etc.

Not sure why exactly, but even in the real world a scope on weapons like that would be messed up, it's easy too compensate for at least.

Sadly, not for me. If it wasn't such a pain I wouldn't have bothered posting looking for some sort of solution or fix to the problem. It makes me avoid those weapons most of the time because of how they mess me up.

Thanks for the information though, nice to know that at least it seems to be intentional since like you say, all of the arc fired shots do this to some degree or other.

Ensu
06-20-2013, 06:05 PM
A scope is quite pointless on the Northstar Flare. Best method is just to learn the arc, so that you can place your shots by habit. Most of my Flares hit my enemies on the noggin now.

Ashlocke
06-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Just to be clear because some of the responses seem like the assumption is made that my OP statement is with me using a scope. This is not the case, I am simply shooting from the hip and "aimed" mode, which is just right clicking the mouse to slightly zoom in. There is no scope involved.

However, this has me curious, has anyone actually tried those weapons with any type of scope and if so did this fix the issue I describe?

The arcing nature of those weapon's shots seemed to me to make scopes not a good idea so I never bothered trying, but if scopes "fixed" the offset nature of the shot to reticle problem I might consider giving them a try.

ncanning
06-20-2013, 06:31 PM
It's the same aimed or fired from the hip, can't recall if a scope makes a difference many of these weapons cannot take scopes.

Ashlocke
06-20-2013, 06:36 PM
A scope is quite pointless on the Northstar Flare. Best method is just to learn the arc, so that you can place your shots by habit. Most of my Flares hit my enemies on the noggin now.

I just want to focus on something here, it's not the "arc" of the shot that I find to be the problem, I'm OK with weapon fire that fires in a parabolic arc. It's the fact that where the reticle is positioned is not where the shot goes to. The shot is offset to a large degree to the side making the actual reticle location far to the left of where it actually is. This is what I find irritating to the point that the weapon is too clunky to use especially when swapping back and forth to weapons that shoot "correctly" back to a weapon that doesn't.

If all weapons were offset in the same way, then sure I could probably get used to it, but it's the fact of me swapping back and forth that messes me up. I use different weapons continuously since tactically I need different weapons from moment to moment.

Ashlocke
06-20-2013, 06:37 PM
It's the same aimed or fired from the hip, can't recall if a scope makes a difference many of these weapons cannot take scopes.

Northstar Flare can, it's a pistol, any of the pistol scopes can be slotted into it from what I can see in my inventory.

XavierBK
06-20-2013, 06:38 PM
I've noticed infectors suffer from this issue as well. I tend to use the left side of the reticle as my point of aim for this reason.

Ashlocke
06-20-2013, 06:43 PM
I've noticed infectors suffer from this issue as well. I tend to use the left side of the reticle as my point of aim for this reason.

I'm mostly OK with "some" offsetting, like infectors for example, I don't even notice their offset.

Just to give you an idea of just how bad the issue is with some weapons, place 3 Dark Matter Enforcers side by side and place the target reticle on the chest of the one on the far right, then shoot, the flare will actually hit the chest of the dude on the far left, it's that bad.

Ensu
06-20-2013, 06:44 PM
I just want to focus on something here, it's not the "arc" of the shot that I find to be the problem, I'm OK with weapon fire that fires in a parabolic arc. It's the fact that where the reticle is positioned is not where the shot goes to. The shot is offset to a large degree to the side making the actual reticle location far to the left of where it actually is. This is what I find irritating to the point that the weapon is too clunky to use especially when swapping back and forth to weapons that shoot "correctly" back to a weapon that doesn't.

If all weapons were offset in the same way, then sure I could probably get used to it, but it's the fact of me swapping back and forth that messes me up. I use different weapons continuously since tactically I need different weapons from moment to moment.

Ah yes, as XavierBK suggests, I pull a little to the left when using the Northstar Flare. It's pretty accurate, it just ignores the reticle.

crasher
06-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Ah yes, as XavierBK suggests, I pull a little to the left when using the Northstar Flare. It's pretty accurate, it just ignores the reticle.
Seems though, that if they're going to supply a retical, it could be in the center of the dispersion pattern, rather than way off to one side of it.
It's a computer program, not a hand made unique item. They designed it to be off to one side.
Why?
A 'joke'?
To prove that they can do whatever they want?
They already did that by ignoring weather.

There's no basis in RL that makes it this way. If my weapon always shot to the left of where I aimed, I'd adjust the sight, not compensate for it. Nobody said it was a precision instrument, but consistently off to one side is just 'broken', not 'normal'.

Ensu
06-21-2013, 05:57 AM
As someone who's shot a few paintball guns, some had a habit of shooting wherever they felt like.

The simple answer is off centre shoulder cam. Camera angle to character/gun angle to reticle vanishing point. Your laser-beam-straight bullets will only hit the reticle vanishing point at a certain distance from your character. Before that point you would pull across to the right a little, to make sure your bullets landed on the target. If we were able to switch the sides of the shoulder cam, your Northstar Flare would almost certainly be right of the reticle.

With a scope, your camera then positioned on top of the gun, the Northstar Flare shoots straight up and down along the reticle in a delightful parabola.

Now, why does the Flare pull to the left regardless of distance? I believe it's because it isn't justified. It shoots directly out from your character, following the same path a detonator's grenades do, and ignores the vanishing point of the reticle. So the Flare and Detonator shoot where the character is pointing, but the bullet weapons shoot towards where the vanishing point is aiming.

Could this be adjusted? Yes.

The above is primarily speculation, though I performed tests with the Flare against other weapons, and I may be wrong in any part.