PDA

View Full Version : Don't be disheartened by the cynical

jbob spittlewop
06-20-2013, 10:55 PM
The second anyone has something good to say about the game, twenty over zealous pessimists rise to the occasion with the mindset that any positive commentary is a personal attack designed to illegitimize their ranting and raving. Don't let their flawed logic and impatience impact your experience negatively, and don't jump on the nay sayer band wagon.

WhiteCell
06-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Somebody sure rustled your jimmies good.

Instead of being passive aggressive and creating a thread entirely to antagonize some unknown poster you should quote the response you had issue with and respond using factual game information to challenge it. That's how forums work. Also if you have a problem with accepting a difference of opinions on the internet you're going to have a bad time.

Good day, Chap!

Newsin
06-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Somebody sure rustled your jimmies good.

Instead of being passive aggressive and creating a thread entirely to antagonize some unknown poster you should quote the response you had issue with and respond using factual game information to challenge it. That's how forums work. Also if you have a problem with accepting a difference of opinions on the internet you're going to have a bad time.

Good day, Chap!

You just proved his point.

jbob spittlewop
06-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Haha I don't mean to attack any one person, nor do I have an issue with difference of opinion. It's just an observation, I to have issues with the game but I feel like more is accomplished through positive suggestive feed back rather than spewing noxious hate all over everything.

WhiteCell
06-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Haha I don't mean to attack any one person, nor do I have an issue with difference of opinion. It's just an observation, I to have issues with the game but I feel like more is accomplished through positive suggestive feed back rather than spewing noxious hate all over everything.

Echo chambers of praise don't help game developers and are not a good source of feedback. Defiance is an MMO, everything that occurs in the game is monitored and tracked. Is there even an exist survey for this game? They know what players like. What they lack is reasoning behind why players don't like things or why they aren't doing x. If players were truly "spewing noxious hate all over everything" the moderators would do their job.

Playing backseat moderator and telling others to disregard what is posted is usually frowned upon on any decent forum.

jbob spittlewop
06-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Echo chambers of praise don't help game developers and are not a good source of feedback. Defiance is an MMO, everything that occurs in the game is monitored and tracked. Is there even an exist survey for this game? They know what players like. What they lack is reasoning behind why players don't like things or why they aren't doing x. If players were truly "spewing noxious hate all over everything" the moderators would do their job.

Playing backseat moderator and telling others to disregard what is posted is usually frowned upon on any decent forum.

So are you defending the irrational ratings and attacking sensible discussion? What is your point here?

Nyako
06-20-2013, 11:34 PM

Being a developer myself, it kind of does help. Okay, from my experience, if I developed say a unique weapon that could adapt to changing situations and enemies as needed for this game. The feedback from some users would be positive in that they are saying things like, "That is exactly what this game needs, and it has made it a lot easier for me to do this... and this... and this... Thank you for your efforts to improve the game." That would be constructive and helpful to me as a developer because it shows me what areas of what I made helped the players of the game and how it helped them. Maybe in the future, I'd add other similar features to the game to improve on other areas and further improve the ones I've already improved on.

Now, if you are being down right rude and saying such and such is broken, but not describing in detail how its broken and what platform is broken, etc. This isn't something that I as a developer nor any developers I know can tolerate and use to improve our items that we developed. With that being said, threads that come off as attacks against players for this and that, or come off as what is such and such parent company doing with the game... this and that... etc. type statements are negative towards the community of the game and often from my experience is often something we can't use to improve the game or the items in the game.

So what the original poster is hinting at, is basically to respect everyone's opinions and know them as such and go out there in the game try it for yourself and have fun in doing it. Through that process you will make your own opinions and/or justify the opinions of others.

jbob spittlewop
06-20-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm not trying to endorse the "fanboys" anymore than I am the haterade drinkers. Constructive criticism doesn't have to come in the form of rude and intrusive posts. There's lots of "trolling" from people who are, I suppose, dissatisfied with the product and seeking some revenge or just venting rage over the forums, the level of tact applied to these posts may vary but a duck is a duck.

Nyako
06-20-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm not trying to endorse the "fanboys" anymore than I am the haterade drinkers. Constructive criticism doesn't have to come in the form of rude and intrusive posts. There's lots of "trolling" from people who are, I suppose, dissatisfied with the product and seeking some revenge or just venting rage over the forums, the level of tact applied to these posts may vary but a duck is a duck.

To be honest, you're the first person to post that I actually read as trying to be neutral if that is even possible. You are like the Jedi code states, "There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity." (As written in The Jedi Path by Daniel Wallace). It is actually refreshing to for a change not really need to defend or point out something in a post on here. Thanks :)

jbob spittlewop
06-20-2013, 11:47 PM
To be honest, you're the first person to post that I actually read as trying to be neutral if that is even possible. You are like the Jedi code states, "There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity." (As written in The Jedi Path by Daniel Wallace). It is actually refreshing to for a change not really need to defend or point out something in a post on here. Thanks :)

No sir, thank you! :) haha

Nyako
06-20-2013, 11:53 PM
You're welcome. :) lol

Epyon
06-21-2013, 12:12 AM
The second anyone has something good to say about the game, twenty over zealous pessimists rise to the occasion with the mindset that any positive commentary is a personal attack designed to illegitimize their ranting and raving. Don't let their flawed logic and impatience impact your experience negatively, and don't jump on the nay sayer band wagon.

Well the reasonable people on this forum just increased by one. Your description is spot on, and its often the same people. I could list them by name, but wont bother cause they'll post here soon enough.

MacDeath
06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
What the OP says is true, but so what? This is the complaint, rant, insult forum, not the feedback forum. The feedback forum is called 'Bug-Reports-and-Issues' and can be found here: http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?73-Bug-Reports-and-Issues

Players can also leave feedback in game and of course Trion has tons of data on what player do in game. If they wondered WHY most players do X and few players do Y they can ask us in a survey.

So, thats my long answer. My short answer is don't expect the General Discussion forums to be other than a complaint forum. Trion doesn't pay attention to this forum, why should you?

Newsin
06-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Constructive Criticism, is few an far between. But as gamers we tend to get pretty passionate about our games and sometimes it makes things tough. Most of the people on the forums tend to be pretty helpful.. However there is a reason I tend to stay off the forums in most games because the vocal group is always so damn negative.

KeevanSixx
06-21-2013, 02:34 AM
lol....I wouldn't say we were negative all the time, more like highly passionate about the game....

constructive criticism tends to derail into chaos frequently and often in the forums, and after a couple months of constant complaining, many of the old guard have stopped responding....sad...

as for the negative nancies.....well....they're always in the background ready to pounce on the unwary or ill informed....(I could give a psychological example but that would take too long)...

It's all in one's mindset......Positive mindsets reflect in their words, just as negative mindsets are reflected in their posts....yin and yang.

just look in my siggy box if you want a simple answer to your question OP.

Blondin
06-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Hey OP, try to have some understanding for these ppl, you know Defiance is the only game they have and the only thing they could do in their life, so as they don't like to play anymore (you don't play a game that you considers a crap, right? or it's masochism), then this forum is their only chance to do something.

You should not rant against them but feel for them.

jbob spittlewop
06-21-2013, 04:13 AM
This wasn't meant to be a rant against anyone, but an ensight and encouragement to maintain a positive outlook. People will do whatever people do, doesn't mean you can't at least try to counter act the negativity.

Tyger
06-21-2013, 04:22 AM
It's actually funny how the first one to pop off in this thread is the one with Defiance Uninstall as his avatar. Even when they know it's gonna' prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are just rolling in to complain... they do it anyway.

...Classic XD

Blondin
06-21-2013, 04:28 AM
This wasn't meant to be a rant against anyone, but an ensight and encouragement to maintain a positive outlook. People will do whatever people do, doesn't mean you can't at least try to counter act the negativity.
Yeah yeah it was more sarcasm, and you're right it's better to show some positivity.

I just can't understand ppl telling that they uninstal Defiance and that they play that game or that game which is thousand better, but they are still here on that forum, nothing to do in their life?

drackiller
06-21-2013, 04:39 AM
Yeah yeah it was more sarcasm, and you're right it's better to show some positivity.

I just can't understand ppl telling that they uninstal Defiance and that they play that game or that game which is thousand better, but they are still here on that forum, nothing to do in their life?
Yeah, like i said b4 in other threads, when i feel the game has nothing left to give me , i`ll just stop playing it.
Until then i`ll continue having fun, lots of fun.
This is one of the reasons i stoped frequenting forums in the last 4/5 years till this game, well one of the reasons is also my bans ;) that is why i try to keep my posts positive or neutral most possible that i can.
Between my work and my time to relax, i don`t have time to wast in small petty bickering.

jbob spittlewop
06-21-2013, 04:40 AM

Couldn't really say, if I had to guess I'd say some level of spite and contempt. It just seems so petty to me, people build these expectations from past experiences with out realizing they are demeaning someone's art form. It is what it is.

Haffoc
06-21-2013, 04:52 AM

Actually Nyako, you are wrong there.

Terms such as ranting and raving are not neutral, they are negative terms. When used to describe people, they take on an insulting quality and imply that the person does not have a legitimate view, this is reinforced by calling their logic flawed.

The only result that use of such language will generate is to antagonize people who feel they have legitimate issues, whether they are "ranting and raving" or not.

Daniel Wallace, in his quote, has demonstrated a lack of understanding - ignorance just means that someone does not have a certain knowledge at hand, it is neither positive or negative. Knowledge is mainly the awareness or familiarity with a subject, or a persons range of information. The act of not knowing is by definition ignorance. For example, I do not know where San Diego is because I am ignorant of the geographical layout of the US.

jbob spittlewop
06-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Actually Nyako, you are wrong there.

Terms such as ranting and raving are not neutral, they are negative terms. When used to describe people, they take on an insulting quality and imply that the person does not have a legitimate view, this is reinforced by calling their logic flawed.

The only result that use of such language will generate is to antagonize people who feel they have legitimate issues, whether they are "ranting and raving" or not.

Daniel Wallace, in his quote, has demonstrated a lack of understanding - ignorance just means that someone does not have a certain knowledge at hand, it is neither positive or negative. Knowledge is mainly the awareness or familiarity with a subject, or a persons range of information. The act of not knowing is by definition ignorance. For example, I do not know where San Diego is because I am ignorant of the geographical layout of the US.

San Diego is located on the southern tip of California. And how is ignorance (A state of being uninformed) not contrary to knowledge?

drackiller
06-21-2013, 05:44 AM
San Diego is located on the southern tip of California. And how is ignorance (A state of being uninformed) not contrary to knowledge?
Because we are all ignorants and we all have knowledge.
It`s kind of a half full glass vs an half empty glass...

Bordaf
06-21-2013, 05:58 AM
This game is dying, quit trying guys... if theres 20:1 ppl saying negative stuff then it might be for a reason, nothing happens for nothing.

Ensu
06-21-2013, 06:06 AM
This game is dying, quit trying guys... if theres 20:1 ppl saying negative stuff then it might be for a reason, nothing happens for nothing.

The general rule is; people come to the forums to complain, to fix a problem, or because they're bored. They don't generally come if they enjoy the game because they're busy playing.

Elric1
06-21-2013, 06:22 AM

Let's see.
1. Game started bad.
2. Took least 2 months to be a half way decent game.
3. By time game became decent we ran out of things to do and asked for some real content like our DLC.
4. Many of us upset to hear it was put off or even planned- hold on trying not to laugh out loud, since the beginning.
5. They added Sieges then took them away which was the ONLY actual content since the release that was actually worth anything to date.

If you are not mad either you just started in June or your a lemming. I see trion and me using you lemmings because how else can I expect to not buy anything at the store and still expect the game servers to be paid for and remain up?

That's right. Lemmings. All of us who realize how badly we been burned thank you for willing setting yourselves on fire and giving us something to enjoy Until the end of July.

BleakPanther
06-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Let's see.
1. Game started bad.
3. By time game became decent we ran out of things to do and asked for some real content like our DLC.
4. Many of us upset to hear it was put off or even planned- hold on trying not to laugh out loud, since the beginning.
5. They added Sieges then took them away which was the ONLY actual content since the release that was actually worth anything to date.

If you are not mad either you just started in June or your a lemming. I see trion and me using you lemmings because how else can I expect to not buy anything at the store and still expect the game servers to be paid for and remain up?

That's right. Lemmings. All of us who realize how badly we been burned thank you for willing setting yourselves on fire and giving us something to enjoy Until the end of July.

Rather be a lemming than a...
http://www.calbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/donkey.jpg

WBuchanan
06-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Great game, can't wait for DLC.

Gohlar
06-21-2013, 06:36 AM
Defiance is one of the bigger disappointments ever and expectations weren't even that high.

Game is an absolute disaster.

Elric1
06-21-2013, 06:41 AM
Rather be a lemming than a...
http://www.calbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/donkey.jpg

Well apparently cross breeding seemed to have worked for you congrats. =) Least that animal you pictured doesn't walk off cliffs but hey you want to go for it. I'll he haw long after you hit bottom =)

Dave Blackwell
06-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Let's see.
1. Game started bad.

1. Started off badly due to not reaching a sufficient target in purchases for the base game. This leads to having to make cuts in order to compensate for issues, improvements and such.

2. Have you played any other MMO from its humble beginnings? I can assure you that close to almost none have had perfect release since the game has gone live. Anyone who frequents MMOs should have (and did) expect this - hence why some of us out there have no direct issues with the problems that occur. However, we don't kick them under the carpet and then proceed to spout constant positivity and blind support of the game at hand.

3. If you've been following what Trion have said they have mentioned that the reason why they have pushed the release of the first DLC back is due to addressing bugs that have been reported by players. Is there any pleasing you lot? It should also be common sense not to rush through a game that does not have any expansions and more so when such a game has barely just launched as well.

4. Reference point three.

5. Sieges were tied into to the episode that they were relevant to. If you paid attention to what was said in that episode you would understand that the plague broke out in the bay area and had started spreading from there. Hence the short reference to the plague in the episode where the reporter from the bay area was related to the family member who came into contact with the flu was the one who dropped in front of the doc. & nolan etc., if you listened to the data recorders, before that to tie in the plague for the episode that followed after.

Another thing, explain to me how a plague in the bay area would be justified after the episode where they were relevant aired? How exactly would a plague exist in a location from which the cure was launched via an old ICBM to the town Defiance where they cured the plague because of the cure that the ICBM was housing?

Sieges are not gone entirely, they will be back. Now, take deep breaths before you read this next sentence, I don't want you bursting any blood vessels. They'll be included when the DLC is added, only this time the sieges will actually be justified in not only the lore but also the games setting in the bay area with the Volge. Look at the inflicted sieges as if they were test runs in order to iron out potential bugs/issues for the sieges that will be taking their place as a permanent aspect of the game.

Also, the reference to waiting until the end of July. You and I both know that those similar to yourself will be playing the DLC when it comes just to nitpick at all the unanticipated issues that they couldn't cover during testing as test servers will never amount to what real traffic will account for or achieve. I look forward to reading your infinite wisdom on how to develop a working game.

tuckerpb
06-21-2013, 09:49 AM

i like what you are saying. 1 out of every 21 players that still play can find something good about the game. now if all the people that have left the game were still here. then i bet that would be 1 out of ever 51 players. heck if trion keeps this up it will soon be 1 out of every 1 people that still plays can find something good about the game. to bad then there would not be enough to start a co-op. lol

Enundr
06-21-2013, 10:30 AM
So are you defending the irrational ratings and attacking sensible discussion? What is your point here?

there is some truth behind every rant , even if you dont notice it right away , the truth is buried in what they say and is the root of why they say their rants.

crasher
06-21-2013, 12:31 PM
i like what you are saying. 1 out of every 21 players that still play can find something good about the game. now if all the people that have left the game were still here. then i bet that would be 1 out of ever 51 players. heck if trion keeps this up it will soon be 1 out of every 1 people that still plays can find something good about the game. to bad then there would not be enough to start a co-op. lol
Math and logic fail.
Happy players don't tend to seek out boards to post in nearly the same percentages as unhappy players.

Happy players may make a critical post when they think it is warranted, unhappy players tend to post continuous criticism occasionally bordering on hate in larger number.
(Example the number of players who claim to have uninstalled the game as complete trash yet still post here frequently since then).

Please note:
1.) the use of the word 'tend' above means it is in no way 'absolute'.
2.) Fanbois can be just as big a wrench in the statistics.
3.) I have no quarrel with Enundr's post above mine.

Dooks
06-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Pessimist are around for a reason, to keep the optimist grounded.

crasher
06-21-2013, 12:39 PM
This is also great wisdom.

Newsin
06-21-2013, 12:47 PM
There is always a handful in every forum, for every game.

The game is getting there. It's a bit slow for some I guess. I personally think they are on a pretty normal schedule. Either way, the developers are doing what they can. Its summer for them and they have a lot of obligations to meet its a busy quarter with all the events and conventions on top of kids being out of school etc etc.

There is one thing I can say about Trion though they tend to follow through sometimes not as quick as we would like but in the end they do.

novat0
06-21-2013, 01:02 PM
lol....I wouldn't say we were negative all the time, more like highly passionate about the game....

constructive criticism tends to derail into chaos frequently and often in the forums, and after a couple months of constant complaining, many of the old guard have stopped responding....sad...

This may be true of you, but there is definitely a lot of complaining with a lack of detail on these forums. I think the most constructive thing I have seen all week on the forum is people asking to bring Charlie back. Although I am aware how trivial their request is, it is at least specific enough to give Trion a path to action.

Newsin
06-21-2013, 01:11 PM
This may be true of you, but there is definitely a lot of complaining with a lack of detail on these forums. I think the most constructive thing I have seen all week on the forum is people asking to bring Charlie back. Although I am aware how trivial their request is, it is at least specific enough to give Trion a path to action.

Thats because some people dont know how to be constructive.

Racheakt
06-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, I am enjoying the game, I started @ launch.

Don't let anyone make your mind up for you.

I am huge sci fi fan, after years of watching ST:TNG i was in Starbucks and i saw tea, earl grey on the menu ... tried it it sucked to me. I when "blegh...." then threw it away and ordered Venti coffee.

I did not go on a campaign to convince people that earl grey was the nasty, and that they were only fooling themselves and that they would eventually hate it. Whats the point? I mean Kirk was the better captain anyway -- you totally know he would hit a Sensoth...

dominad
06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Thats because some people dont know how to be constructive.
Sady on this forum it is very true. There is huge amounts of partisan warring over opinions. This sadly overrides useful feedback, and destroy's threads which may help the game to improve. I would like to think I have been fair in my assessment of this game, and that my critisism has always been backed by facts, evidence and stating what would help, and using the in place systems to do so. While I have had an up and down time with this game due to various issues, I have still continued to play it and found the game addictive and given it a reasonable rating for me personally. I get frustrated though that wishing to express dissatisfaction, or a problem with the game is always interpreted as this is a MMO or just move on or its your fault..

Feedback is constructive and especially for console players who this is their first such game there is no precedent for understanding the numerous issues with the launch to 6 months in to game process.

Indra Echo
06-21-2013, 02:21 PM

There is nothing constructive in either unwarranted praise or unwarranted hate. Many people don't understand how clan boosts work so they think if their clan has 20 weeks of clan boosts now and they buy a clan boost now and the clan boost stops working, then Trion owes them money, so what do they do? They submit bug reports, support tickets, email Trion, use live chat, and totally clog up that system (since many many people are doing this) for something that does not even apply to what they bought. That means someone who is owed money has to wait while Trion figures out who deserves what.

Trion also has to wade through the myriad complaints, wishes, hates, hopes, desires, and all the other misunderstandings surrounding this game. AND they can't do so in a vacuum, because each of our games, connections, wishes, and hates are different. It's also not a big help to just say "I hate infectors" and not explain why so that Trion might totally see the reason behind a complaint.

Yes, devs screw up but they're people too and they can't read our minds. Nor can they anticipate every issue that will come up.

And yes, maybe they underestimated problems the game had but I've had over 1000 hours worth of play in this game and I got my $60 worth so far. I can't judge this game in a vacuum either and I have to look at all the other games that are out there and the big chunk of crap I've played recently in order to give Defiance fair treatment. That doesn't mean Defiance gets a pass but it does mean I have to look at all this and be fair-how often have I complained about other games that have been bad experiences, games that should by now be almost perfect?

@WhiteCell makes a good point-and a really wrong one. First off the wrong assumption is that Trion knows what players like. How could they? We all like different things. And console owners haven't had a game like this before, so Trion now can read our minds? I don't think so.

The good point-they lack reasoning as to why players don't like things or do like things. Why is that? Because players often are not giving them decent feedback or because there is too much random crap about why Destiny is a better game or people are not always explaining what they'd like to see. And Trion has to wade through posts where people do explain things and try and see if that post is valid or if the opposing viewpoint is valid.

I don't think any of this is easy.

And I know there are many that say the programming is subpar. Well, welcome to the real world. Just exactly where have you been? And have you not noticed the rampant use of substandard "farms" to do some of the tasks that used to be handled by software companies in house. Many software devs import help from cheap sources-but companies like MS and Apple cannot get enough of the worker visas in the US for their needs. It can only be presumed that they go elsewhere-look at the list of credits on games today. You personally may be a great programmer but companies have to go cheap today so they may have people overseeing projects and programming lots of things in house, but a significant portion is likely to be farmed out for cheapness.

Absolutely do complain, but explain when you complain and be specific. It's why they ask us to submit bug reports, in order for them to look at the character we had the problem with at the time the bug occurred.

MacDeath
06-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Cabo San Lucus is located on the southern tip of California. San Diego is located near the border between the US and Mexico.

N3gativeCr33p
06-26-2013, 05:56 AM
Let's be honest, though... this kind of negative/positive stuff happens on almost every gaming related forum on the interwebs. Been seeing it on forums since Socom 2 was at its height, back in 2003.

Covington
06-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Let's be honest, though... this kind of negative/positive stuff happens on almost every gaming related forum on the interwebs. Been seeing it on forums since Socom 2 was at its height, back in 2003.

More to the point it happens in every Official forum, anything. TV, Movies, Gaming, Sports, Political. It's not just gaming. Fan run places are more heavily moderated to prevent flaming.

Tyrannos
06-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

While we understand that it is frustrating to read negative posts and threads, creating threads to "reply" to or otherwise discuss these threads is not constructive and typically results in more disruption.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.
Thank you!