PDA

View Full Version : It's alright but it's not going to be massive

Mackeh
03-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Played it coop most of the weekend and also did 3 livestreams but only putting one on my channel as the other two may put a lot of people off the game and as it's still beta that would not be fair.

Overall it's a fun game, not hardcore like many other MMO's but without open world faction based PvP it was never going to be hardcore. So lets just forget about PvP as it pretty much does not exists (Shadow War) was woeful for MMO based PvP, it was just like playing BF3 or COD, nothing massive about it at all, pew pew pew and that was it.

So it's more of a COOP based MMO and that's fine however it has one huge and game breaking flaw, playing coop is such a problematic and tedious affair. We tried for hours last night to play 4 man coop, we were livestreaming it aswell and what a shambles it turned out to be. Just trying to get us all to stay in the same phase was a nightmare, we ended up just playing 2 man teams as that was the only stable option.

I loathe phasing with a passion, it's the cheap way of doing an MMO, it also destroys immersion, do it properly, buy more servers and have a more popular game. It boasts thousands of players but I have a feeling you only see a hundred at a time due to thye horrible phasing, I really hope they sort this as it's horrible. I said to the guys last night (We all have the game preordered) the one thing that will probably kill this game for me after a few months will be the phasing.

I enjoyed the action, the missions were not that bad, sure they are the usual MMO style missions, defend me while I unlock this door kind of thing but it's all good. The respawn rates are off a bit and the boss fights are stupidly long in the public areas but I still enjoyed them. The game is nice and responsive for me which is essential in a shooter.

Crafting was okay, modding weapons takes a long time and then you drop a better one and throw the modded one away :) Maybe I should only Mod really rare stuff. I like gear and this game has plenty from what I saw, I like that :)

The sounds are terrible, my weapons sounded so cheap and plastic, even firing my LMG was just poor, it should be booming but it was like a wet fart. The visuals are also a bit naff but I am happy with them if this means we can have hundreds of players on our servers (see phasing above).

So it's probably going to be a pick up and play for an hour kind of game, certainly not one I will throw money at on a regular basis. Add more servers, get rid of phasing, add another faction and bring in open world PvP and you got an amazing game on your hands, but lore won't allow that so I shall gear up for a good coop game, I am looking forward to it but fix these bugs :)

Harsk
03-25-2013, 04:31 AM
This is another opinion thread. Why is it always the people who dislike the game that feel like they have to et everyone else know why they don't like the game. lol

Mushroom C1oud
03-25-2013, 05:27 AM
He makes some good points. I didn't get to try the Coop but sounds like it is something that should be fixed before release.

I enjoyed the Ark battles though, and would often drop anything I was doing to join one of those fights.

I have mixed feelings about the modding. It should have had a tutorial (if it did I completely missed it). I bought a bunch of mods only to find out that you can't place every AR mod on just any AR... oops. Would have liked to see other gear like the outfits and headgear be able to be modified.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. Now that the Beta is over I'm anticipating the game release so that says a lot to me about how much entertainment I'm going to get out of the game. I am looking forward to watching the TV series now too, be the first show on Syfy that I watch.

Kriegson
03-25-2013, 05:50 AM
More complaints about PVP -_-. I don't know what you're expecting but this isn't world of warcrack, and imo the PVP system is pretty damn good especially in comparison to most other MMO's out there. Easy jump in/jump out pvp matches ranging from relatively open world to arena based, with plenty of potential for adding more venues and arenas. It doesn't limit your abilities or weapons, and is balanced to a pretty damn decent degree for a game in beta (biggest issue is bunnyhopping and explosive weapons).

In case you haven't noticed, battlefield/CoD/etc happen to be pretty massive games, and considering this game is in fact a shooter, what did you expect pvp would be?

The Prince
03-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Gotta say i agree 100% with Mackeh. The phasing is something i feel alot of people who played solo did not notice, but its mos def gonna be a problem down the road.

Harsk
03-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Gotta say i agree 100% with Mackeh. The phasing is something i feel alot of people who played solo did not notice, but its mos def gonna be a problem down the road.

As someone who ran with a group most of the beta and was heavily into the pvp, I am not sure what you mean by phasing.

Harsk
03-25-2013, 06:23 AM

As someone who ran with a group most of the beta and was heavily into the pvp, I am not sure what you mean by phasing.

DTwO
03-25-2013, 06:33 AM
He means...there is one big world but it has a capacity limit.Say for example 20,000 people per world.Now you and your buddy might want to meet up at camp,he says hes there but you dont see him.Hes in another realm in the same world with another seperate 20000 people.im horrible at explaining lol

Harsk
03-25-2013, 06:37 AM
He means...there is one big world but it has a capacity limit.Say for example 20,000 people per world.Now you and your buddy might want to meet up at camp,he says hes there but you dont see him.Hes in another realm in the same world with another seperate 20000 people.im horrible at explaining lol

Oh, that. You can just hop over to your friends instance no sweat. I doubt it is going to be such a small population that it will affect the feel of the game.

Adagia
03-25-2013, 06:37 AM
I only managed to play beta on Sunday night. I had 3 friends there, who tried to help me with some missions. The phasing bugs were very bad when we first started. We tried all sort of combos, joining a group member's phase, travelling to a friend, over an over, before all 4 of us could go into a mission and all be visible to each other and to see the same things in the mission. Once we got it sorted out (about an hour of fiddling with it), then the rest went better. We did get a lot of chat spam saying that a member was the leader of the group, then wasn't the leader, then was the leader, over and over and over.

BruiserCruiser
03-25-2013, 06:54 AM
This is another opinion thread. Why is it always the people who dislike the game that feel like they have to et everyone else know why they don't like the game. lol

Dude really... this is kinda the point of betas. Ppl play the game and give their feedback. Its not like hes ranting saying the game sucks or anything. Wheres your constructive feedback?

Harsk
03-25-2013, 07:07 AM
this is kinda the point of betas.

Hmmm.... I think you mean Demos, not betas... BTW, Constructive Feedback and Personal Opinions are not the same thing. Constructive feedback is supposed to be unbiased, personal opinions are anything but.

Trog
03-25-2013, 07:12 AM
I am looking forward to it but fix these bugs :)

Read your whole post. did not find any BUGS posted. Only found opinions. Please highlight the BUGS you found.

Fiancee
03-25-2013, 07:54 AM
You guys forget this is sub-less and theres 5 DLCs and free patches coming.

SpinelessNJ
03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
This game is a console game period. Everything about it that I do not enjoy is because of the console hardware limitations. Appriciate the game for what it is and remember that this is the first reasonable title like this to release for console. Hopefully competition will raise the bar. Its true that calling this game an MMO is sort of a debatable topic as it has no persistent world and is 100% instanced but considering what they have done and fit it all on console hardware its impressive. If I compare this game to just about any PC mmorpg it falls flat on its face. For those of us more interested in PVP there is Darkfall and soon Archeage. For those of us who love fluffy carebear instanced pve there is always WOW and the pile of clones. For the people who enjoy console gaming Defiance is a big upgrade for online rpgs.

Baby
03-25-2013, 08:25 AM
The people whining about the state of the game pre-launch must be new to MMOs. They change dramatically over the course of the first year and even more over the course of six or more years.

If you don't know that and can't muster the patience to wait it out then shut up and move on.

mcwjimbo
03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
......So lets just forget about PvP as it pretty much does not exists (Shadow War) was woeful for MMO based PvP, it was just like playing BF3 or COD, nothing massive about it at all, pew pew pew and that was it.......

didn't try pvp, so is it just shoot each other without goals....I'm thinking like rifts warfronts = control spots,take control of spots, fang of regulos like goals , etc

If its just shoot each other and that is it then yeah that is dropping the ball on fun PVP, where as shooting each other while trying to accomplish goals would be cool .....again like Trion's rift warfronts

Eralrik
03-25-2013, 09:12 AM
I agree with the OP and bugs don't necessarily need to be posted in general chat I posted mine the proper channel as in game tickets.
Trion wanted us to give feedback on the game from our perspectives to learn where to improve and build on for future updates I saw nothing wrong with the Op's post.
I tried Shadow Wars and found it lacking in an real pvp that's gonna get boring real quick, I did enjoy CO-OP though and played that a lot as I finished all the story missions and side missions but the chat really sucks and no way to block someone's mic if it's thumping an squeeling in the back ground so I ended up playing a couple matches without sound.
My real gripe is the end area in the missle silo bunker where you need all 4 people in order to get back into the instance for the final boss confrontation, as 1 of us hit extraction and 2 of us in the hallway fighting the robots and 1 in the room shooting bad guys all the doors slammed shut and we ended up having to kill ourselves and restart it with all 4 of us entering. That's gonna get old really quick.

Mackeh
03-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Read your whole post. did not find any BUGS posted. Only found opinions. Please highlight the BUGS you found.

Well that is your bad reading then as I dedicated a whole paragraph to the horrible phasing bugs :)

In reply to other comments, I don't hate the game, I do hate some aspects such as the total lack of world faction based PvP and the horrible phasing.

I do like the combat, crafting and the coop (when it works properly)

I just don't think the PC version will do that well, I think 6 months down the road it will just be another mmo holding a few hundred thousand players. I have it on preorder mainly because it's a shooter and not another bloody fantasy wizards and paladins game, it just would have been great with faction based open world pvp and proper unsharded servers. I can see console players loving it though as they have not had anything like this before.

Airwolf3169
03-26-2013, 02:46 AM
OK So can you explain how you find what Realm your friend is in. And how do you get to him?

Otis Spunks
03-26-2013, 03:10 AM
I an agree with the phasing, even tho I did not do much co-op I can see me not enjoying it when I do get into it. Now when it comes to open world pvp, I was always a huge pve player in almost all MMOs I played and even when I got serious into PVP I liked the structured objective style queue based PVP than getting ganked which was just flat out annoying. SO! I kinda agree with you and at the same time disagree with you.

kirix
03-26-2013, 03:15 AM
defiance is a PVE game first with optional pvp.

why exactly does it need faction based pvp ?

you want it like wow with 2 factions and pvp ? well most of the pvp takes place in arenas and battle grounds, the "open world" is just high lvls ganking low lvls in 1 zone where all the realms meet (its cross realm zones) and no real pvp happens.

in wow open world pvp is pretty dead, it died the moment flying mounts became available.

NirvanaDest
03-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Aside from reporting actual bugs like all of the testers did, right? All impressions are 'opinions" What better way to voice an opinion than from someone that is not only playing it but also doing what are supposed to do, "test it!"

Since you obviously like the game, what is your opinion to his impressions? As opposed to logging in, throwing out your displeasure that someone, well actually a lot of someone's are dissing your new lover?

Harsk
03-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Aside from reporting actual bugs like all of the testers did, right? All impressions are 'opinions" What better way to voice an opinion than from someone that is not only playing it but also doing what are supposed to do, "test it!"

Since you obviously like the game, what is your opinion to his impressions? As opposed to logging in, throwing out your displeasure that someone, well actually a lot of someone's are dissing your new lover?

My opinion on the game? Why does that matter? Gamers can still think for themselves, right?

Remag Div
03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Didn't Trion (or someone else) say that the game will have the option for clans to wage war on each other meaning open world pvp?

Also, I kinda wish all 3 versions of the game (pc, 360, ps3) had cross-play and could play together on one huge server. Sure, the PC users would get an edge control-wise with kb+m but consoles get aim assist which helps. I'd trade having PC players have a slight edge on controls if it means more players in the game world.

Vertis
03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I wish it was FFA pvp, i just want to sit on a hill and snipe ppl trying to quest.

Remag Div
03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
I wish it was FFA pvp, i just want to sit on a hill and snipe ppl trying to quest.

lmao, that would be pretty fun.. too bad this game won't have a PvP server.

Otis Spunks
03-26-2013, 12:55 PM

Happy to see that something like that could keep your fancy but if I'm questing and have to deal with ppl like you constantly just to play the game I will find another game to play, and I bet I wouldn't be the only one. So with that being said I'm happy there isn't constant world pvp that way I can play the pve and then pvp when I want to by queuing up. I mean if there were pvp and pve servers sure I guess that would work but that will divide the community and with consoles being region locked.... cant see that helping much.

Lothar LocNar
03-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I don't mind if Trion makes Defiance PvE first and PvP "optional" Just don't give the highest xp/ego pts..or w/e to the PvP people. Trion did that with RIFT -They stated RIFT is not a PvP game however the best by far is/was the PvP warfronts (not so much in world pvp server) as long as your team wins your toon gets more favor/xp/prestige...etc in a warfront than any normal quest, not to mention when one gets xtra xp/favor/prest..from vet pots or days that give a certain % more. If the game is supposed to be PvE then give more pts. for PvE not PvP!! Then when people complain about certain developmental things (spawn camping,gear unbalance,rank/level disparity) say "Well it's not a PvP game anyway so stop griping" Sounds like lazy devs that cannot wrap their minds around fixing PvP for everyone to enjoy.

ironhands
03-26-2013, 01:23 PM
it'll be as big as we make it. MMOs continue to exist because of the player base working in connection with the devs. Interest may wane, but with a steady supply of DLC for the plot fans, and new maps for PvP (as well as rivalries) we'll hopefully see it around for quite a while.

Mackeh
03-27-2013, 04:06 AM
I agree that Open World Faction PvP is not for everyone, this is why some Developers have PvE servers and PvP servers, I personally hate FFA PvP but love faction based pvp as long as it's in the open woorld and not in some stupid instanced arena.

And yes WOW Open world PvP did die with the introduction of flying mounts, before that it was incredible, yes ganking happened but huge territorial battles also happened and they were amazing. It really was a thriving and dangerous world, Defiance on the other hand is a safe and sound peaceful world where you will never ever, ever be attacked by anything unless you instgate it yourself and that is why it will lack atmosphere and immersion, such a shame for a game with such huge potential.

Anyway I am still looking forward to playing it as a PvE game, something to pick up now and then and do a few quests without worrying about a monthly fee.

Harsk
03-27-2013, 04:37 AM
And yes WOW Open world PvP did die with the introduction of flying mounts, before that it was incredible

AH, nevermind. No need to persue any more dialog here, this explains everything.

Saraya
03-27-2013, 04:48 AM
"It's alright but it's not going to be massive"

Well most things don't but as long as Firefall slowly develops it's PVE content, Defiance has a chance to flourish.

Your assessment that it's worth jumping on and playing for an hour is fair, and positive in the sense that it doesn't require THAT grind.
Yet it also provides a nice linear solo experience which could keep you busy for hours if you wish (up to a point).

That's positive too.

Quirky
03-27-2013, 05:09 AM
I've had a few concerns about this game - The Lack of a Social Hub (I'm hoping St Lewis or "Defiance" as shown in the TV Show is available else I'm confused how they're planning on relating the two if one has bits that the other doesn't).

I'm also a little concerned over the PvE and Lack of end game Content. I know theres a lot of Ego levels to go up so I'm hoping there is just as much content to keep you entertained. I am a little disappointed about the Side Missions basically being World events that it takes you to. I did some of them numerous times before getting the quest and it just made them feel boring and reused.

Either way for 27 I've purchased it, it'll give me a few weeks maybe months of enjoyment - Much like what WarZ did (But now its just a case of waiting for empty promises).

Grouping needs to be easier, and I do think the zones need more people in. Did feel quite quiet as I was driving around and didn't really feel populated. Regardless of if they're in a different phase or not just doesn't feel like an MMO should as its missing some key points.

To Me it just seems a lot of people are bringing out "MMO's" but they're just shooters with a few of the MMO features shoved in. First WarZ (Thats far from an MMO) and Possibly this, hoping it blows me away when its live.

The only problem I do see is the lack of Open World PvP and it has to all be done within an instance, there are no set teams, and I've had it where even though joining with a group full of my friends that its put them on the opposite teams..

You can't change side, nor is there any faction to set so you're always together - hoping release brings some better features and improvements to the long "Ctrl" menu that you have to use and press 5 keys for 1 action..