PDA

View Full Version : This game is dying...

daurgothoth
06-21-2013, 05:44 PM
yea. dying...my clan members are almost 80 at first, but now they only remain 5~7 people connected in

weekend.(NA pc)

and 8 offline friends are quit playing this game in freetime. they just return to borderland 2,

Wow, moding skyrim..we don't care about game's genre, only need is got some fun in freetime.

repeat 7 co-op, repeat same Arkfall, and small world..where is fun part, trion?

i really wanna see good point of defiance, but there is no better things than other game.

do something, trion, do something right now.

end of july DLC? does gamers remain until that time? i don't think so.

Youkai Risu
06-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Haha yah my thoughts exactly !

Zydrate
06-21-2013, 07:05 PM
It's a two month old game. It's not dying, it's being added to.
Remember, it's a crossover. More stuff comes in time.

treadingwater
06-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Welcome to MMOs, qq more. Go play call of duty.

Agonist
06-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Don't play?

Orbital
06-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Not sure what you're talking about, it is hardly dying. The game has had quite a few people come and go, some have returned and some have not. I was in a pretty big clan which broke up for the most part, similar to what you are running into. I joined a new clan and there are currently at least 62 people on from my clan alone. I am looking forward to new content as well though.

Classymadman
06-21-2013, 07:31 PM
This is the single wort MMO launch I can ever think of. No social structure or hub cities, or ever an endgame. I play this game every couple of weeks just to know why this game sucks and go back to BF3 or GW2... defiance is the most boring MMO I have ever played. If it wasnt free to play I would have canceled my subscription... this is just as turd of a game. Bad trion.

meremortal
06-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Not totally dying because there are new players every week, i hope it will but not for know
(btw i dont play since 2 months, just comming here to see good post like this and make my statement:] still pretty insulted with the spittle squirt of a game that i pay for)

StuN
06-22-2013, 01:15 AM
I've given up & gone back to BF3. The game is just a grind, same old contracts. I check the forums now & then just to see what's happening, same old gripes lol.
Do yourselves a favour & trade it in before the shops are swamped with 2nd hand copies

Muffins
06-22-2013, 01:20 AM
That isn't evidence the game is dying, it's evidence your clan is dying.

This is another reason why I don't bother joining clans without knowing a person in them first. They just walk around recruiting any random person and then when the person only wanted to give it a go and leave or something.

Dave Blackwell
06-22-2013, 02:45 AM
Clearly proves they dislike the game.
Continues to post on the forums about the game
Despite clearly disliking said game, obviously stays on top of the old and new issues.
Continues to waste their own time by posting about a game they blatantly don't enjoy.

Logic.

Does that make sense? To tell the truth, I don't really care; I'm growing tired of these type of threads as they talk about a point and then make absolutely no attempt whatsoever in explaining why they have the views they do.

Youkai Risu
06-22-2013, 02:50 AM
I know of at least 40 people who won't touch the game and I know at least 15 people who broke their disks and swear to never touch a trion product again. I know at least for me, I paid for it so I ll play it, but once ps4 comes out this game is going.... Should have never thought this game would be great looking at trions game expirenice and that some of the members from thq branched over. Thq had some of the most glitchy games I ve ever played.

jbob spittlewop
06-22-2013, 02:56 AM
I know of at least 40 people who won't touch the game and I know at least 15 people who broke their disks and swear to never touch a trion product again. I know at least for me, I paid for it so I ll play it, but once ps4 comes out this game is going.... Should have never thought this game would be great looking at trions game expirenice and that some of the members from thq branched over. Thq had some of the most glitchy games I ve ever played.

Wow, you know 15 wildly irrational and wasteful people.

Dave Blackwell
06-22-2013, 03:10 AM

That's a great example of what constructive criticism shouldn't look like, thank you for proving what I forgot to add to that. When these sort of threads are made they tend to offer nothing worthwhile to a developer. You don't like how the game is panning out right now? No worries man, it's only what.. two months old? It's not a typical online game where you're given everything from the get go. You can voice your opinion and constructive criticism to help shape the outcome of it in the future. Ah but.. I'm getting ahead of myself - why would people who post such things do that?

Seriously, attempt to allow this through your skulls. If you really do not enjoy this game, you don't see the point I'm putting across about constructive criticism and you still want to post 'this game is dying', 'this game won't survive', 'this and that' whatever you want to say. Honestly do yourself a big favour and move on to something you genuinely do enjoy because at the end of the day, you really are only wasting your own time. Those of us who enjoy the game and know what to expect from it will still continue to play it, for those that seem to think they're the gaming world's equivalent of a prophet? I can assure that only a select few check out the forums before they purchase the game.

I truly sympathize for those people who are greatly influenced by the words of others when it comes to games. They really are missing out, to an extent. Yes, negativity about certain games is great and at times it's helped me make a good decision. However, with this situation I just see those who post such threads as not being aware to the fact that this game does not have a subscription fee and many other factors, it's B2P to get the base game and then you have the option to purchase items from the store. How else do you expect a game that doesn't have a constant revenue AKA. subscription fee to survive?

I feel the only way that Trion can encourage or even at least tempt people to purchasing in game items from the store is by designing thought out outfits, vehicle skins, a variety of boosts. Hell maybe even go for discounted items occasionally, that tends to tempt some into buying things regardless of whether it's a game or not. Before I digress, the only way to encourage it would be to design new outfits etc. not just rehashing existing items/clothing and just recolouring them.

Daholic
06-22-2013, 03:52 AM
I truly sympathize for those people who are greatly influenced by the words of others when it comes to games. They really are missing out, to an extent. Yes, negativity about certain games is great and at times it's helped me make a good decision. However, with this situation I just see those who post such threads as not being aware to the fact that this game does not have a subscription fee and many other factors, it's B2P to get the base game and then you have the option to purchase items from the store. How else do you expect a game that doesn't have a constant revenue AKA. subscription fee to survive?

I feel the only way that Trion can encourage or even at least tempt people to purchasing in game items from the store is by designing thought out outfits, vehicle skins, a variety of boosts. Hell maybe even go for discounted items occasionally, that tends to tempt some into buying things regardless of whether it's a game or not. Before I digress, the only way to encourage it would be to design new outfits etc. not just rehashing existing items/clothing and just recolouring them.

I feel you only sympathize with people who listen to word of mouth is because you may assume everyone will look upon this game favorably like you do. When I bought this game I had an open mind. I've only played pc mmorpg's and Defiance is my 1st or 2nd of this type and I can say with full confidence that the experience is very much forgettable.

Your last paragraph I agree with, but this game isn't getting a large influx of new players at this point. Damage is done, word is out.

Major Nelson
06-22-2013, 03:59 AM
Like I have been saying, If they would of just implemented a random weapon stat generator based somewhat on character level and made oranges significantly better than whites, because they are the same as a white with a synergy set, and made it to where gear gave bonuses and everyone didnt look the same so that way you can actually have a point to play. I was hoping for a game like your traditional rpg where you can always find better weapons but now im at what ego 2000 and at about level 700 I could of said "hey I have seen every weapon model and stat and mod in the game", thats not good for a game that was trying to go for mmo/rpg elements, and they say "oh its for pvp balancing" well all pvp is, is a bunch of VOT grind fraggers and VBI Immunizers put to work.

jbob spittlewop
06-22-2013, 04:02 AM
The game may not be sufficient for the pc snobs out there, I can only attest to the xbna servers. Always lots of people on, short que times for shadow wars/ coop, good clan activity. May not be great but it's what we got, even if it's just to tide people over until next gen hits I intend to continue enjoying it while I can.

Elric1
06-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Even if wasn't or even if it did? Would it really be missed after the first week? I'd miss my 40 dollars more than I would this game. it's fun when it has content and the rest of the time it's Hellgate: London the sequel on how to make a bad game worse. I don't even think the devs at Flagship GAVE people fun content then took the entire thing away

Shada Mori
06-22-2013, 06:54 AM
I always find threads like this strange. People being like "I snapped mah disk", "Worst launch ever" and "My friends don't play anymore" .. ever wonder if its you and the quality of your friends? Just saying.

I have 5 friends who bought this game. All of them still play. Granted we are all adults, and (relatively.. we are gamers after all) mature and have played enough games to recognize the merits and faults of this one.

This is not the worst launch ever. You are free to say its the worst you've ever experienced... cool, thats you.. but MMOs have launched in vastly worse shape than this. AO was literally unplayable .. and I don't mean in the sense people use on this forum either.. I mean you could not do ANYTHING at launch. Its still live and going.. well.. not strong but going.. many many years later, and they are still releasing content for it.

MMOs do die but it honestly is rarely because of a bad start. Its usually because a developer drags their heels in live and fails to fix problems and release new content. Now yes, this is where Trion is on the crux.. they are teetering on the edge, but as severely as people make out? No. Its not even been out for four months.. if the first DLC makes its target of end of July that will be one of the first major DLCs I've seen added to a MMO in that short a time frame. Do bugs exist? Sure. Some since beta, but many many many more and many actual game breaking ones have been fixed and done properly.

Honestly I don't get the need for people to hang around on the forum after they are clearly jaded on the game and make these drama queen posts about "its dying, lol!". If its dead for you, then move on.. let the rest of us enjoy it.

EDIT: Oh forgot to add "With Trion's track record" .. what track record? Releasing Rift? One of the better and more exciting and enjoyable MMOs to come out in the past 10 years? Yeah you are right.. terrible track record. *eye rolls*

Kronik
06-22-2013, 07:06 AM
I think PC and ps3 its dying on but only because we have better games overall, I mean who would play this game when the last of us is out? Not just that but after playing the last of us there is no way this even feels like a quality game more like an extended demo. Xbl has the new Halo (Cod clone) or Gears (the first two were good but there's a reason everyone wanted a new tps) , point being they're already used to rehashed shooters with little story and no content.

melkathi
06-22-2013, 07:23 AM
"My friends don't play anymore" .. ever wonder if its you and the quality of your friends? Just saying.

I wonder if those friends really exist. If I was completly bored and had a lot of friends who have time for gaming, then I'd be out and about with them, not trolling a forum.
(why am I on the forum? My friends that I can't hang out with as much as any of us liked are in the "the baby keeps us awake all night" phase. they wish they'd had the time to try out a game and hate it :P )

Blondin
06-22-2013, 07:45 AM
I always find threads like this strange. People being like "I snapped mah disk", "Worst launch ever" and "My friends don't play anymore" .. ever wonder if its you and the quality of your friends? Just saying.

I have 5 friends who bought this game. All of them still play. Granted we are all adults, and (relatively.. we are gamers after all) mature and have played enough games to recognize the merits and faults of this one.

This is not the worst launch ever. You are free to say its the worst you've ever experienced... cool, thats you.. but MMOs have launched in vastly worse shape than this. AO was literally unplayable .. and I don't mean in the sense people use on this forum either.. I mean you could not do ANYTHING at launch. Its still live and going.. well.. not strong but going.. many many years later, and they are still releasing content for it.

MMOs do die but it honestly is rarely because of a bad start. Its usually because a developer drags their heels in live and fails to fix problems and release new content. Now yes, this is where Trion is on the crux.. they are teetering on the edge, but as severely as people make out? No. Its not even been out for four months.. if the first DLC makes its target of end of July that will be one of the first major DLCs I've seen added to a MMO in that short a time frame. Do bugs exist? Sure. Some since beta, but many many many more and many actual game breaking ones have been fixed and done properly.

Honestly I don't get the need for people to hang around on the forum after they are clearly jaded on the game and make these drama queen posts about "its dying, lol!". If its dead for you, then move on.. let the rest of us enjoy it.

EDIT: Oh forgot to add "With Trion's track record" .. what track record? Releasing Rift? One of the better and more exciting and enjoyable MMOs to come out in the past 10 years? Yeah you are right.. terrible track record. *eye rolls*
+1 something reasonable at least on this forum!

Tzar of kaos
06-22-2013, 08:10 AM
yea. dying...my clan members are almost 80 at first, but now they only remain 5~7 people connected in

weekend.(NA pc)

and 8 offline friends are quit playing this game in freetime. they just return to borderland 2,

Wow, moding skyrim..we don't care about game's genre, only need is got some fun in freetime.

i really wanna see good point of defiance, but there is no better things than other game.

The famous ; "i'm bored i want my DLC thread"....Why it takes you so long to write this ? Some people start to complain about the lack of content a week after launch...you're late. ;)

Thr0nes
06-22-2013, 08:43 AM
The famous ; "i'm bored i want my DLC thread"....Why it takes you so long to write this ? Some people start to complain about the lack of content a week after launch...you're late. ;)

A wild Fanboi appears

Defiance was based on casual play, 2 hours/week, according to the german forums Dev. People have a misconception about what this game is. This game is not a WoW-Clone with rifts. It is more like an arcade game with a shadow of progression. The game should have been launched with more meaningful, repeatable content to keep causuals and hardcores alike engaged. Now it is Pew pew pew, log out.

Thr0nes
06-22-2013, 08:44 AM
*snip*

best avatar Ever

Blondin
06-22-2013, 08:51 AM
People have a misconception about what this game is. This game is not a WoW-Clone with rifts.
This is exactly why I bought this game, because it's not a wow clone, I would have not buy it if it was like wow, I hate such type of game with illusional vertical progression, and forced to grind and farm to do some mission to grind and farm more for other mission, etc.
No if you think a second you will understand that it's not necessary to have repeatable content because you don't pay any subscribtion, you don't have to play the game entire month because you have paid for it.

Btw, if this game is so bad and so boring why the hell are you still here on this forum? don't you have any other games to play or are they all boring?

Nefarious
06-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Well Im signing on to play right now.

And when I play I see countless others are as well.

Threat averted.

X64
06-22-2013, 09:03 AM
You're dying slowly with your own rage.

Fiancee
06-22-2013, 09:46 AM
I thought it happens to every MMO?

BreadBox
06-22-2013, 09:53 AM
I've been taking a break from this game. After the last ridiculous server lag issue, I didn't feel like dealing with being kicked constantly, and going to arkfalls, being the one thing I enjoy doing, being impossible. I've got Deadpool coming out on Tuesday and I can't wait for that. Something new. Maybe after I've gutted that game I'll go back to Defiance. I'm pretty much just waiting on the next bit of episodic content because I really don't have much to do. The majority of my friends that have this game have been playing Fable 3 or other things which would suggest they needed a break from it too.

Oldschool
06-22-2013, 10:31 AM
The game is new, and great for casual, just like all starting mmos are. The game world will be expanded on, and xpacs will come to open up new areas, also new pvp maps. They have the whole world to play with. Content with different alien races from lore to what ever they want to add, they have not even connected defiance on the map yet. In time this shooter rpg will be even better then it is. They have to get some money back on the investment they made for production. Console gamers always flip with the newest releases, pc players are going to be the cash crop, and they will address the hub and social chat to fix that for them. For a non sub game, with a twist that goes with the tv show, this is fun casual entertainment. Rushing through content in a new game always brings these threads.

Nefarious
06-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Well just this morning Ive saw the E-Rep Camp filled with low level players. For awhile that area was a ghost town. Im seeing level 500ish players and lower more then ever before all over the place.

Just because OP's buddies have done all the MQ missions and ripped through the side missions and have nothing to do themselves doesint mean the game is dying.

Milar
06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Wow,what a new and exciting thread...never seen it before :D

Oh wait,I have...in every single gameforum I have ever been in......for years and years .....and most of those games are still around today :D

Seriously,doesnt it get old running around shouting about how *insert current "failed" game here* is dying..??

:confused::confused::confused:

ElektraFaith
06-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Welcome to MMOs, qq more. Go play call of duty.

welcome to MMO's did you really put that? For one defiance isn't even a straight MMO For Two PSU one of the greatest MMO games of all time had none of the problems defiance did and they constantly added content and so on things to improve the game, defiance is a washed up version of a pc game that got a little confident, this game deserves no credit. Trion are slow at updating us, promised dlcs just aren't getting released until the end of july even though we were promised the first dlc in the first week of game release its the only reason alot of people bought season pass it was supposed to be tie in content?, season one of the show finishes soon and no dlc? Its stupidity and honestly I love console MMO's but I would much rather play COD over defiance as they are incredibly popular and successful and I can bet my bottom dollar that the dlc isn't released at thw end of july and im also a strong believer in give credit when its deserved and trion does not deserve credit for this mess.

Shismar
06-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Since Trion does not release user statistics there is no way for us to really assess how the player base is developing. What I do think though, is that many players purchased the game, played a couple weeks and just left already. And that is bad for any MMO-style game as player retention is key to income from shop and DLCs.

I also know the DLC is coming much later than expected. If it is coming ...

Orbital
06-22-2013, 12:53 PM
What I do think though, is that many players purchased the game, played a couple weeks and just left already. And that is bad for any MMO-style game as player retention is key to income from shop and DLCs.

Well the nice thing about these non-subscription games is that you can come back at anytime and pick right back up where you left off. Many are probably waiting on the DLC. My friends list was filled with quite a few inactives for 20+ days, I removed them all to make room for new clan mates (they really need to make it so you can "go to clan mate, and not friend everyone). My friend list is probably nearing full now and the longest inactives are 8-10 days now. Those who have left have definately been replaced with new players, and they may come back soooo.

Elric1
06-22-2013, 12:54 PM
All I know is they will not get a cent from me til late July and I hope everyone else does the same quite frankly. They do NOT deserve to be rewarded for their actions.

Elric1
06-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Well the nice thing about these non-subscription games is that you can come back at anytime and pick right back up where you left off. Many are probably waiting on the DLC. My friends list was filled with quite a few inactives for 20+ days, I removed them all to make room for new clan mates (they really need to make it so you can "go to clan mate, and not friend everyone). My friend list is probably nearing full now and the longest inactives are 8-10 days now. Those who have left have definately been replaced with new players, and they may come back soooo.

Yes but isn't it sad they found people to replace them with at all? Who lied to who to get these people playing this in the first place?

Orbital
06-22-2013, 01:02 PM
No one, they probably saw the game trailers and thought it was worth checking out. I know I have gotten my moneys worth. The game is pretty awesome IMO, like any game they are trying to balance fixing old content with releasing new. It has its flaws for sure, but over all it is a very fun game.

Dooks
06-22-2013, 01:07 PM
It amazes me that these threads get pages upon pages of replys, yet post something informative or inquisitive and get nothing but crickets

Tzar of kaos
06-22-2013, 01:19 PM
A wild Fanboi appears

Defiance was based on casual play, 2 hours/week, according to the german forums Dev. People have a misconception about what this game is. This game is not a WoW-Clone with rifts. It is more like an arcade game with a shadow of progression. The game should have been launched with more meaningful, repeatable content to keep causuals and hardcores alike engaged. Now it is Pew pew pew, log out.

If you buy something blindly,and don't like it.You should complain against yourself....I'm not really a fanboy,just a wise-gamer ;)

DarknessEyes PT
06-22-2013, 01:57 PM
weekend.(NA pc)

I kinda agree with you. the game is very good but lacks on content...
Only few co-op and pvp maps... the shadow wars maps always the same and its very hard to start one...
In world missions are good but i already know all of them...
Contracts... always the same...
Side missions... only did a few because i dont like them.

Hope that we get a dlc soon, i really love this game and it have a great potential but atm there is a big lack of content.

Invader Nemesis
06-22-2013, 02:01 PM
People still play WoW? lol

Dooks
06-22-2013, 02:30 PM
People still play WoW? lol

Yeah you know.....like 8-10 million lol

Ichidakiller
06-22-2013, 02:52 PM
look at the next 5months of releases
Saints Row IV
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Lost Planet 3
Grand theft auto V
Batman arkham origins
Assassins creed IV
Watch Dogs

This game isn't dying. Its a dead man walking to the guillotine. Sadly its doing it of its own free will.

Defy
06-22-2013, 02:59 PM
I don't think its dying?

anyway there will be lots of dlcs and stuff

doobie225
06-22-2013, 02:59 PM
just started playing 2 days ago and i amvery happy i decided to start playing

Pasha
06-22-2013, 03:31 PM
5-7 people out of 80? That's a lot. I am only one online out of 50+ toons in my clan. Most quit 1.5 months ago, euro server is empty most of the time.

Seriously - this was the last time I've started any online game on EU cluster. Europeans just cannot sustain healthy game population for more than a month or two.

tacoknight
06-22-2013, 07:10 PM
I just bought this on ps3. Been debating a while on it. So far, I am thoroughly impressed and happy with my purchase. Will i stay for years? I don't know. I do enjoy it now and hopefully continue to enjoy it.

If you don't like it, just uninstall it. I always see people when im playing on my ps3 and random matchmaking pops almost immediately for me at peak hours.

ralisti
06-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Overall, the game lacks a point.

The tie-in with the show are minimal at best, so relying on the show to bring people just subjects the new players to disappointment.

PvE might as well be single player. The social system is not only deplorable, but lacks any real reason to be social outside of CO-OPs where people are forced to group. The AI is predictable and one can almost sleep through them if they apply any type of real strategic thinking. The only point in leveling up is perks which, due to the simplistic PvE, are basically pointless other then to make an easy aspect of the game even easier.

PvP is full of exploits and cheaters. Outside of that, it is basically who's stealth drops first is dead. Even winning PvP matches is rather pointless outside of getting codes to change better weapons which have an insane rarity. There are no leader boards, cheaters are basically rewards with love tap 24 hour bans if caught cheating which due to Trion's insane slowness at responding to anything does not happen often.

There is no end game other then rather pointless grinding and chasing pursuits. The game just lacks a point to play it.

Yes, I still play it so this may sound hypocritical, but I am just waiting for a couple of other games to release before I jump ship from Defiance, never to look back. So basically I acknowledge I am just wasting time in the game because I currently have nothing else to do.

I would also like to note that even if Trion miraculously pulls it's head out of it arse and creates a game worth playing, I would not stay because they have shown contempt so far for their customers. I just left a broken arkfall which had a crystal that would not clear. This is an issue that I know I reported over 4 weeks ago and the issue still exists. Only a company that is either utterly incompetent or cares nothing about the game/customers would allow a fundamental part of the game remain broken for so long.

ten4
06-22-2013, 08:35 PM
200 bucks down the tube. Oh well.

Should have just lit that money on fire.

Now onwards the slobbering fanbois telling me I am wrong and defiance is GAME OF THE YEAR!

CptBadger
06-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Such threads happen in EVERY SINGLE MMO on the planet.

Every. Single. One.

/thread

ten4
06-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Such threads happen in EVERY SINGLE MMO on the planet.

Every. Single. One.

/thread

Indeed. However this aint no real MMO no matter what anyone says. Then again they seem to slap the 'MMO' title on almost everything now. COD IS A MMO DUDES!

note. did you know that GW2, another b2p MMO has had 4+ content updates and multiple ACTUAL events in the same time frame that Trion has essentially done almost nothing?

alred
06-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Considering it's summer time in the Us, and that equates to family vacations, I can see why the population in game would be down.

Also, as this game lacks a monthly fee, there is little incentive to sit in front of the computer and play until you fall over dead. Unlike one certain MMO which does ave a monthly fee, and it feels as if one must play that game 40 hours a week to get their money's worth.
I've reduced the amount of time that I play, mainly because I'm playing Rift and having fun there as well.

daurgothoth
06-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Wow..see these replies. thanks for all of u, but i wanna say this is not a trolling thread,

i got much expect to defiance, but this game still has many bugs, lack of contents...don't u think?

i changed 3 clans from from beginning and all of these clans has very small number of connected

users. and i can see most negative reply started to Personal attacks

(like, i don't think he got real friends, go away troll..things)

because they know people leave defiance, but don't wanna recognize truth.

see this game's future, there are many competition games will come out this summer, im saying

this is time for change. to better game. before it's too late.

obscurion1
06-22-2013, 09:29 PM
So many complaint's, -.- I think the game is fun, especially if you aren't on it 24/7 and actually do other things outside the realm of defiance. Maybe that's why you guys complain and say its repetitive. It's a 2 1/2 month old game, it's going to have its problems everything will be ironed out over time. I think its an original game with some interesting characters and cool monsters n such.

Nyako
06-22-2013, 09:52 PM
So many complaint's, -.- I think the game is fun, especially if you aren't on it 24/7 and actually do other things outside the realm of defiance. Maybe that's why you guys complain and say its repetitive. It's a 2 1/2 month old game, it's going to have its problems everything will be ironed out over time. I think its an original game with some interesting characters and cool monsters n such.

Even SWTOR didn't have much to do in it at first. Then after several months they started adding content that made it worth playing up to level cap and keeping those characters. Then they added the Hutt cartel expansion and a lot more people started playing it. Similar conditions were in STO, and even TERA.

This is what everyone even you are basically mentioning here. People need to realize that eventually there will be enough content added to make the game more interesting. Also, the game being repetitive is like most games out there. SWTOR for instance shouldn't be repetitive, but grinding Flashpoints, grinding Heroics, grinding Space missions, and just going around killing things for fun, well it was grindy... but Defiance seems more like you have a variety of things to do and even if you don't PVP, you don't necessarily grind either, unless you just want to.

With that being said, I also try to do the not being in game 24/7, it's fun, but with grad school course work and my other interests, well... Even I can't be online indefinitely. I even log on at times and find that I'm having to be just standing there in game because I need to take care of something else either in another game, something on my other monitor, real life, or what ever the case may be.

Also, people about this time of year aren't just going on vacations, but some are having to work double shifts or what not to make up for those that are going on vacations too.

ralisti
06-22-2013, 10:08 PM

So the game is only fun if you do not play it much? Just reinforces the fact that there is not enough content when you have to ration your play time. Plus, many have been through the content for 1.5 months...so I guess that is their fault too, right?

Even SWTOR didn't have much to do in it at first. Then after several months they started adding content that made it worth playing up to level cap and keeping those characters. Then they added the Hutt cartel expansion and a lot more people started playing it. Similar conditions were in STO, and even TERA.

You know, it sounds really bad when you attempt to say the game is fun, but qualify it with 'you aren't on it 24/7'. That is like saying a certain soda is good, providing you do not drink it. It also further reinforces the fact that the game released with pathetically little content when you need to ration your play time so you do not get bored when the game only released 2.5 months ago. (Many have been out of content for 1.5 months)

This is what everyone even you are basically mentioning here. People need to realize that eventually there will be enough content added to make the game more interesting. Also, the game being repetitive is like most games out there. SWTOR for instance shouldn't be repetitive, but grinding Flashpoints, grinding Heroics, grinding Space missions, and just going around killing things for fun, well it was grindy... but Defiance seems more like you have a variety of things to do and even if you don't PVP, you don't necessarily grind either, unless you just want to.

With that being said, I also try to do the not being in game 24/7, it's fun, but with grad school course work and my other interests, well... Even I can't be online indefinitely. I even log on at times and find that I'm having to be just standing there in game because I need to take care of something else either in another game, something on my other monitor, real life, or what ever the case may be.

Also, people about this time of year aren't just going on vacations, but some are having to work double shifts or what not to make up for those that are going on vacations too.

I am so tired of people trying to compare Defiance to SWTOR. Star Wars has a HUGE following behind it and is totally iconic. It could have been the most atrocious game even released, and would have still garnered a better population the Defiance ever will. Defiance has a show with continually falling rating, and a pathetic tie-in that has usually consisted of either 3 recorders to 'find' or 5 minutes of content.

Using the vacation/work excuse is just sad. Next it will be 'Everyone is back at school', then 'It is midterms/finals', etc. There is always something going on. People are leaving the game. Even if some come back after Summer, then more will leave when school starts, when just some of those come back other will be graduating and looking for work. There will always be something to rationalize the decreasing population until it decreases enough that Defiance has to let go more people and/or shut the game down.

With the dismal number of initial sales and lack of people now buying the game and Bits, I willing to bank on the latter, especially since they have already had to massive discount the game AND try to get the few remaining to recruit players for reskinned junk.

Nyako
06-22-2013, 10:19 PM
So the game is only fun if you do not play it much? Just reinforces the fact that there is not enough content when you have to ration your play time. Plus, many have been through the content for 1.5 months...so I guess that is their fault too, right?

I am so tired of people trying to compare Defiance to SWTOR. Star Wars has a HUGE following behind it and is totally iconic. It could have been the most atrocious game even released, and would have still garnered a better population the Defiance ever will. Defiance has a show with continually falling rating, and a pathetic tie-in that has usually consisted of either 3 recorders to 'find' or 5 minutes of content.

Using the vacation/work excuse is just sad. Next it will be 'Everyone is back at school', then 'It is midterms/finals', etc. There is always something going on. People are leaving the game. Even if some come back after Summer, then more will leave when school starts, when just some of those come back other will be graduating and looking for work. There will always be something to rationalize the decreasing population until it decreases enough that Defiance has to let go more people and/or shut the game down.

With the dismal number of initial sales and lack of people now buying the game and Bits, I willing to bank on the latter, especially since they have already had to massive discount the game AND try to get the few remaining to recruit players for reskinned junk.

Personally, SWTOR has vary little that is canon in it that attracted me to even try to play it in the past. I love playing characters that either don't use natural eyes, or uses an augment visual system. I like role playing those characters as I have some of those same type of issues. Well... It doesn't attract as many SW players as you might think. I know a right many friends in other games that played it only because Bioware had made it. They didn't know one thing about SW universe, yet tried the game... Some of them learned more about the SW universe and still left the game to role play their SW characters in other games. So a fan base doesn't necessarily mean people will flock to your game and stay... It just means they will likely try it and leave, especially since EA and Bioware have bad reputations with how they did SWTOR and how they don't support it.

It is all as I tell my fellow classmates, a matter of perspective. You see the glass half empty and justify it to yourself, while someone else would see the glass half full and justify it to themselves.

Having played many games, even AION which even though had a lot of sales at launch, sucked badly in implementation of various systems within it and many people disliked the PVP system in it. I know a lot of people left AION in the first 6 months of AION being out. However, a lot stayed too. A friend of mine, was one of them that even got farther in the game than I ever did.

We use vacations and I in particular use the course work excuse because, hay... I got an abstract, bibliography, and outline due next week. And I got a lot of other assignments also due as well... I don't have time to be online when most people are online in NA time zones. It is just my experience and how my world works at the current time. You may be different, you may have more time than say most of your clan members or friends have? Who knows, unless you really ask them...

I'm the glass is half full type of person, I do have a negative side as well, we all do. However, I also know that shows can build up a following and over time lead to bigger and better content in game, and more people playing it. This I'm expecting and in some ways seeing happening in Defiance. However, others like yourself maybe seeing the exact opposite.

It all comes down to a matter of perspective.

Ichidakiller
06-22-2013, 10:58 PM
To everyone saying give it time..... Sorry to say but time is something Defiance does not have much left of.

Next Gen looms a monster last part of the year in terms of games being released. Bitter fan base.

Defiance doesn't have much time left. The ones who would spend money on the game will be leaving for bigger and better things soon. Next Gen consoles, new games that come out etc etc.

How much content will be developed when the cash flow dries up. How many dlc's will be made. Well at least 5 unless they want a lawsuit.

Doesn't matter much anymore really we can sit here and debate this till they shut the servers down.

What it all comes down to is Trion has to step up and start delivering. If they dont then its done. If they actually step up and make this a quality game then it continues.

From what we have seen on defiance Trion lack the ability to make the game what it needs to be to survive. Content is lacking, content updates are lacking and from what's been announced of the dlc the dlc is lacking sieges, new race and charge weapons all for the low low price of 10$..... Seems a little lacking when it comes to a true game update.

Wait till the next one ....its gonna be awesome.....nope new arkfalls/siege type maybe some focus on pvp finally on other then nerfs.... Hell it took them over a month to get freight yard working. So far its been disappointment after disappointment.

This is what ya get when you have a generation raised off participation medals and its ok ya tried hard. You can try as hard as ya want....but unless you deliver it doesnt matter.

Trion real hard, failing to deliver even harder.

Nyako
06-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Defiance will still survive...

To be honest, I view it as a mistake for TRION to ever make Defiance a multi-platform game in the first place. Yet, even with next generation consoles coming out and even after they are out, Defiance on the PC will remain.

Bored Peon
06-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Clans are falling apart because people got bored and left. It is hardly the clan's fault.

People got bored and left because there is nothing to do that already has not gotten old and boring.

The only non boring thing left to do for me was shadow wars. however due to a screwed up que system. Sitting around for thirty minutes at a time waiting for shadow wars sucks period. Watching it bounce back and forth between needing X players.

Sieges brought some excitement back to the game, but got boring very quick and on top of that they got removed.

I was interested in doing daily contracts for the faction synergies. however after being screwed over and over by getting synergies for weapons that do not exist for that faction it became pointless.

To deny the game gets old and boring very quick is nothing but deluding yourself.

The game had a lot of potential to it, but that potential went to waste so far. It could make a come back, but the game has lost a lot of consumer confidence. Time will tell on that.

To be honest, I view it as a mistake for TRION to ever make Defiance a multi-platform game in the first place. Yet, even with next generation consoles coming out and even after they are out, Defiance on the PC will remain.

Actually the mistake was making each console system a separate entity. Had it been cross platform as in every platform played on same servers things would been way better.

So until fixes and content is added the game will keep dwindling down.

Ichidakiller
06-22-2013, 11:21 PM

Until SciFi pulls the plug on the show from fans leaving in mass because its trying to go the chick drama it is hell even the old broad was talking about banging the mine owner......
Until Trion alienates enough fans and comes through with a skimpy dlc one to many times. Maybe you want to grind the same emergencies and run the same co-ops and do the same arkfalls time and time again. Lets face it at this point most people playing defiance and just waiting for something else to be released.

Yes defiance will live on....but the support will dry up, the cash flow will dry up and people love of the game will dry up.

Daholic
06-22-2013, 11:24 PM

There is entirely to much win in this post!

Enundr
06-23-2013, 12:57 AM

not the worst launch , but near the top 5 of worst maintained. the fact that i could be in a coop map and ppl and npcs seem to randomly appear dissappear , players seem to go to that blank model alot. whos theres some bad serverside lag thats still not being addressed. ive played alot of mmos , console games as well , to notice when something isnt being maintained properly for something thats looking for a relative online longevity. alot of this stuff needs to be fixed (like Xbox players not being able to change pvp outfits , STILL for how long now?) or they risk losing people and odds are seeing bad reviews , ppl that leave telling others not to get the game ,etc.
now dont get me wrong i like the game itself , i just wish id see better maintenence of the game rather then something that looks like its falling apart.

Enundr
06-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Clans are falling apart because people got bored and left. It is hardly the clan's fault.

People got bored and left because there is nothing to do that already has not gotten old and boring.

The only non boring thing left to do for me was shadow wars. however due to a screwed up que system. Sitting around for thirty minutes at a time waiting for shadow wars sucks period. Watching it bounce back and forth between needing X players.

Sieges brought some excitement back to the game, but got boring very quick and on top of that they got removed.

I was interested in doing daily contracts for the faction synergies. however after being screwed over and over by getting synergies for weapons that do not exist for that faction it became pointless.

To deny the game gets old and boring very quick is nothing but deluding yourself.

The game had a lot of potential to it, but that potential went to waste so far. It could make a come back, but the game has lost a lot of consumer confidence. Time will tell on that.

Actually the mistake was making each console system a separate entity. Had it been cross platform as in every platform played on same servers things would been way better.

So until fixes and content is added the game will keep dwindling down.

the majority of your post sounds like ppl suffering from short attention spans that get bored easily , and no game will ever satisfy those tastes. sad but alot of gamers seem to suffer from that lately , the newer ones anyway.

TwwiX
06-23-2013, 02:36 AM
Trion could learn a thing or two from ArenaNet on how to handle content. That game thrives because of the attention and care it gets from its developers. I don't know how well the game did on the consoles but it has not much of a future on the PC if Trion continues its business as usual. A "free to play" conversion is bound to follow and another promising MMO will fall into that terrible business model. They've already made the first step with Rift. It's just a matter of time, i guess.

Daholic
06-23-2013, 04:02 AM
the majority of your post sounds like ppl suffering from short attention spans that get bored easily , and no game will ever satisfy those tastes. sad but alot of gamers seem to suffer from that lately , the newer ones anyway.

No game??

Played an mmorpg on pc fro 6 years everyday, but you say no game will ever satisfy those taste.

Lets play walk around the forum mindset. Since yesterday ive seen people say "It non sub" almost 5x's. Ive seen people even suggest others to "step away from the game", doesn't this breed the same type of short attention span that you claim people have?

Shada Mori
06-23-2013, 04:23 AM
not the worst launch , but near the top 5 of worst maintained. the fact that i could be in a coop map and ppl and npcs seem to randomly appear dissappear , players seem to go to that blank model alot. whos theres some bad serverside lag thats still not being addressed. ive played alot of mmos , console games as well , to notice when something isnt being maintained properly for something thats looking for a relative online longevity. alot of this stuff needs to be fixed (like Xbox players not being able to change pvp outfits , STILL for how long now?) or they risk losing people and odds are seeing bad reviews , ppl that leave telling others not to get the game ,etc.
now dont get me wrong i like the game itself , i just wish id see better maintenence of the game rather then something that looks like its falling apart.

Hrmm can't address the mobs disappearing and reappearing, never seen that, even in alpha and beta.. but it depends on your platform. Some bugs are console specific. Now, I will say sometimes when you cross a phase line into a mission this happens, but thats because you are effectively changing instances.

The default models thing is a level of detail loader. its a way to quickly load players so you don't have invisible people running around. It loads default model first, and then loads details as you get them. Its more apparent in very large groups and I'm told much worse on consoles than PC also. In other words its not a bug, its a feature, and in my opinion, a smart one.

Server side lag again, that's not been my experience as a PC player. In fact I haven't encountered lag in this game in a long time, since pre-release. If necessary I can set up a stream to demonstrate.. its just not there. So again I have trouble understanding why people insist Trion has lag issues.

Again alot of things people fault Defiance for seem to be experienced on individual levels, or across single platforms. Which is part of the problem.. they have to debug really two different games because how it works on PC seems distinctly different on how it works on consoles and even different consoles.

Muffins
06-23-2013, 04:41 AM

I feel this way too. Although if you look at the Xbox 360 section, it has much more posts and threads than PS3 or PC.
This may not be evidence but it'd suggest 360 is the most populated.

Unless they tear them all down like Phantasy Star Universe... R.I.P

jbob spittlewop
06-23-2013, 04:46 AM
I feel this way too. Although if you look at the Xbox 360 section, it has much more posts and threads than PS3 or PC.
This may not be evidence but it'd suggest 360 is the most populated.

Unless they tear them all down like Phantasy Star Universe... R.I.P

I miss psu, that game had style.

tacoknight
06-23-2013, 07:38 AM
All these posts on swtor and gw2.

First of all, swtor is a failure and if you go read the forums there, you'll see a ton of "this game is dead" threads just like here.

Secondly, swtor went free to play in less than a year and now has one of the worst cash shops in mmo's compared closelly with perfect world and nexon. Swtor had a 200+ million dollar budget, it was almost has high as a high production hollywood movie. The game failed to maintain 500k concurrent subs and thus went free to play. The game is hardly a success as it had to give their product away and lure people in with free to play and now uses cartel boxes for gambling addict gamers. swtor is more of a single player game than defiance by leaps and bounds. I cbt swtor and played through it on release. It's a great story line but stops there, if you think end game is bad here all you do in swtor is run fp's and ops' that's it. Grind rep like every other mmo.

GW2. Good game, huge number inflation. Guild wars 2 is successful but not nearly as mucha s people believe. It has capped on it's box sales and a lot of guilds have completely left because it's the same issue everyone is having in mmo's. People are tired of "get to end game , run raids, get gear, run more raids". Guild wars 2 is banking on their mist leagues and wvwvw platform hard. WvWvW has been an utter disaster and after almost a year is finally seeing improvement. Guild wars 2 lacks so much flavor end game , you have to rely on the dynamic events and story. Lets be honest guild wars 2 story is terrible, so it's about the gear. Arena net is completely and totally active which keeps a huge chunk of people still playing. That game is having population and log in issues , though not nearly as bad as swtor. You almost had to leave a server to join a different one if you wanted to wvw. There is nothing but material farming for crafting end game and the starter zones are nearly empty because the lack of continued box sales.

that said, defiance is hardly perfect. In fact it's not even a great game. It takes away a lot of things that i hated in other mmos though. I like that i can win at any level based on skill. Time investements for gear are just not reasonable for most of the population. I like that i can log in for an hour and immediately do a few things. I enjoy the fact i have no hotbar, with keys mapped, tab targetting everything. I am tired of looking for tank, healer, etc..

It's open, it's nice , it has nice progression (could be better). It's cash shop is not p2w. There are always room for improvements and this game needs a ton of them. THat said, it's a different playstyle than other mmo's and a nice break from killing the same dragon 3 nights a week or having to pvp for a year to get the gear to be competitive in pvp.

Sanguinesun
06-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Secondly, swtor went free to play in less than a year and now has one of the worst cash shops in mmo's compared closelly with perfect world and nexon.

Should have mentioned Gadzillion's Marvel Heroes and its cash shop. I know of only one game with a worse cash shop than that. Technically the worst in my book isnt even a cash shop as the game's owner masks it as a "donation system" where you pay 25 to 100 or more dollars for in game items and benefits.

Nyako
06-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Here a little history lesson about SWTOR; the citations for this are below.

SWTOR part...
SWTOR came out in December of 2011 and by January 3rd of 2012, had reached 1 million users with 350K of those users being on at the peak hours for the servers' time zones (Makuch, 2012). The game was released with so much hype and they didn't back up all there promises at launch, even though they eventually came out with some of those promises afterwards (Growcott, 2011). However, by the time Free to Play (F2P) hit in late summer/early fall of 2012, SWTOR had lost a little interest from players because of things like accounts being locked, poor customer support (which even I have seen), imbalances like those in Defiance with weapons, numerous game glitches (which I've even seen and reported to Bioware/EA repeatedly), and players had reached the point of having all 4 classes on both sides being played and/or maxed out (zhanagain, 2013). The game really had no choice, but to go free to play because it wasn't remaining competitive and the lure of new players and keeping the disinterested that frequented the forums, bad mouthing the game, and the experience with customer support caused many to drop their subscriptions (zhanagain, 2013).

The change to F2P though, came with issues as old subscribers that left became limited in what they could do until they resubscribed, F2P players are heavily restricted almost to the point that the game is very hard for them to play without subscribing, and more (Lucasfilm Entertainment Company, 2013; Gazimoff, 2012). These restrictions caused many to have issues even still to this day as people are forced into a lock-in type of environment where they are forced to have subscriptions or they can't play the game without a lot of help and time grinding through content and mobs trying to make up for the xp difference (Gazimoff, 2012).

However, because of the F2P change and the release of new content and contests, they reached over 2 million users, which beat TERA after TERA made the switch (Cai, 2013). I even tried SWTOR after that and found it to be interesting, but not the type of game I like to role play as or spend money to buy various skills. However, it now maintains a healthy population on all servers that are in the EU and NA zones, while the Asian/Australian servers have a nice amount of players as well (TorStatus.net, 2012). At www.TorStatus.net, you can see that people still play a lot of SWTOR, and that at certain times of day like I noticed on "The Ebon Hawk" role playing server, a very large population of players log on at times that makes the server reach heavy and very heavy usage (TorStatus.net, 2012). I've notice using the last 30 days population graph from TorStatus.net, that the server Ebon Hawk haas had a nearly flat population the whole time (TorStatus.net, 2012). However, using the last day and last 7 days graphs, shows that the server reaches a pick at times of Very Heavy usage; thus, how can that game be dying and failed (TorStatus.net, 2012).

Sources

Cai, C. (2013, March 25). SWTOR Gains 2 Million Users from F2P. Retrieved June 23, 2013 from tom's Hardware website: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SWTOR-Free-to-play-Users-2-Million-F2P,21664.html#xtor=RSS-181

Gazimoff. (2012, December 1). SWTOR: Unfair-to-Play?. Retrieved June 23, 2013 from ZAM website: http://tor.zam.com/story.html?story=31195

Growcott, M. (2011, September 10). Can Star Wars: The Old Republic Live Up to the Hype? Retrieved June 23, 2013 from Devils MMO website: http://www.devilsmmo.com/blog/star-wars-the-old-republic-live-up-to-the-hype

Lucasfilm Entertainment Company. (2013). Subscription, Preferred, Free-to-Play Features. Retrieved June 23, 2013 from Star Wars The Old Republic website: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Makuch, E. (2012, January 3). Star Wars: The Old Republic peak concurrent users top 350,000 - Analyst. Retrieved June 23, 2013 from Gamespot website: http://www.gamespot.com/news/star-wars-the-old-republic-peak-concurrent-users-top-350000-analyst-6348156

TorStatus.net. (2012). Retrieved June 23, 2013 from TorStatus.net website: http://www.torstatus.net/

zhanagain. (2013, March 30). Would UnderCover Boss Help Bioware? Retrieved June 23, 2013 from comments section of ZAM website: http://tor.zam.com/story.html?story=31195

Nyako
06-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Okay first off, wow I can't believe I just typed up a small essay on SWTOR... Wow, and I didn't think this was a course work assignment. *sighs in disbelief*

This game [Defiance] has diehard fans of the show, the game itself, and both playing it. They will not abandon it so easily, just as the people from SWTOR that stayed and helped them get to over 2 million users, didn't abandon SWTOR. Every game has ups and downs in populations, this was the case for Second Life as well, it doesn't mean the game is dying, if that was the case then when Second Life went from having 60k and higher users online to having just barely 30K users online, the game/simulation would have kept losing players. It didn't.

Defiance game wise is the same case. Look at some Korean made games like Shaiya or even Scarlet Blade (Queens Blade in Korea). They aren't with huge populations, but you do have as many people playing various in game events as we have that show up to ark falls in the prime time (the 30+ people ark falls), if not more at times. So the game is no where near dying.

And also, this is a game that is braving new frontiers, and the lacking content maybe a turn off for some and the braving new frontiers for others. But to be honest, they would have left for other games eventually anyways.

ralisti
06-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Okay first off, wow I can't believe I just typed up a small essay on SWTOR... Wow, and I didn't think this was a course work assignment. *sighs in disbelief*

This game [Defiance] has diehard fans of the show, the game itself, and both playing it. They will not abandon it so easily, just as the people from SWTOR that stayed and helped them get to over 2 million users, didn't abandon SWTOR. Every game has ups and downs in populations, this was the case for Second Life as well, it doesn't mean the game is dying, if that was the case then when Second Life went from having 60k and higher users online to having just barely 30K users online, the game/simulation would have kept losing players. It didn't.

Defiance game wise is the same case. Look at some Korean made games like Shaiya or even Scarlet Blade (Queens Blade in Korea). They aren't with huge populations, but you do have as many people playing various in game events as we have that show up to ark falls in the prime time (the 30+ people ark falls), if not more at times. So the game is no where near dying.

And also, this is a game that is braving new frontiers, and the lacking content maybe a turn off for some and the braving new frontiers for others. But to be honest, they would have left for other games eventually anyways.

Again, you are trying to compare the iconic universe of Star Wars to a game which has it's VERY limited universe buried on an obscure page on a website. People were going to play SWTOR regardless how awful it was, or is, because IT IS STAR WARS! It is one of, if not the most, iconic universe created.

I am willing to wager that there have been more Star Wars fans that have died of old age then Defiance has had viewers on it's best day. So quite trying to compare and apple to an orange.

Both the show and the game have been around what, 2 months? And you want to compare it to something that has been around for decades, and continues to attract followers today? Really, why not just compare it to the Bible. After all, players are 'resurrected' every time they 'die' so Defiance HAS to be around for at least 2000 years!

Daholic
06-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Again, you are trying to compare the iconic universe of Star Wars to a game which has it's VERY limited universe buried on an obscure page on a website. People were going to play SWTOR regardless how awful it was, or is, because IT IS STAR WARS! It is one of, if not the most, iconic universe created.

I am willing to wager that there have been more Star Wars fans that have died of old age then Defiance has had viewers on it's best day. So quite trying to compare and apple to an orange.

Both the show and the game have been around what, 2 months? And you want to compare it to something that has been around for decades, and continues to attract followers today? Really, why not just compare it to the Bible. After all, players are 'resurrected' every time they 'die' so Defiance HAS to be around for at least 2000 years!

You do know that people, still, even to this day compare Defiance to WoW. I could post a thread from someone just as recent as today tried to defend the Defiance universe by saying "Well WoW does the samething"

Ofc you are not that person, but the fact remains that when its connvienent, and when it helps an argument, the comparison will be made by the exact same people who would agree with your above statement.

Dooks
06-23-2013, 11:01 AM

They are two mmo's out at the same time, seems like Apple to Apple to me.

ralisti
06-23-2013, 11:45 AM
They are two mmo's out at the same time, seems like Apple to Apple to me.

Hardly. It is like comparing a Hugo to a Lamborghini. Both are cars...both existed at the same time...but they are so far separated on so many levels that any comparison would be moot.

Star Wars hit the market in 1977 and has continued to gain followers since. There have been conventions just for Star Wars. Old Action figures go for thousands of dollars. Even today, the iconic characters from Star Wars can be seen cosplayed at almost every 'geek' convention.

Now compare that to Defiance which has been out a little over 2 months and has....well, it has....actually, it has nothing. The backstory of the time before the show is a timeline buried in a web page. It is backed by a company notorious for pulling the plug on popular shows which is says 'are not profitable'. Defiance has been out such a short time that if someone pulled the plug on it, it would not even rank 'fly by night' status.

Heck SWTOR could run in the red for quite a while, being supported by the billions being brought in from other aspects of the franchise. Defiance? Well, let's just say that 2 months in and they are already begging players to bring in new players.

Dooks
06-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Hardly. It is like comparing a Hugo to a Lamborghini. Both are cars...both existed at the same time...but they are so far separated on so many levels that any comparison would be moot.

The comparison is not moot, they are both cars that existed at the same time, compared to each other one is great the other sucks. That is how comparisons work. Your argument would hold if it were a model T to a Lamborghini.

ralisti
06-23-2013, 12:06 PM
The comparison is not moot, they are both cars that existed at the same time, compared to each other one is great the other sucks. That is how comparisons work

If one is comparing them just as cars, then yes. However, if one tries to compare aspect of them, then the comparisons become moot.

However, Star Wars is a multi billion dollar franchise. Even if SWTOR utterly failed and they ate the costs, it would be just a drop in the bucket to the franchise. The franchise would continue on without SWTOR, and SWTOR could exist forever supported by the franchise.

So trying to focus on one small aspect that Defiance and SWTOR has in common makes the point moot because the point does not take into consideration all the other aspects which affect SWTOR.

Underneath your logic, we could say that Yugo is more popular than Lamborghini because Yugo sells more cars every year then Lamborghini and claim that Lamborghini is failing. You see, it is apples and oranges unless the WHOLE picture is looked at.

T_Archangel
06-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Underneath your logic, we could say that Yugo is more popular than Lamborghini because Yugo sells more cars every year then Lamborghini and claim that Lamborghini is failing. You see, it is apples and oranges unless the WHOLE picture is looked at.

Yugo still exists? LOL But you both are valid - comparisons are made to show differences.

I'm also sure after the first DLC things will probably pick up in game tho

Enundr
06-23-2013, 12:55 PM
GW2. Good game, huge number inflation. Guild wars 2 is successful but not nearly as mucha s people believe. It has capped on it's box sales and a lot of guilds have completely left because it's the same issue everyone is having in mmo's. People are tired of "get to end game , run raids, get gear, run more raids". Guild wars 2 is banking on their mist leagues and wvwvw platform hard. WvWvW has been an utter disaster and after almost a year is finally seeing improvement. Guild wars 2 lacks so much flavor end game , you have to rely on the dynamic events and story. Lets be honest guild wars 2 story is terrible, so it's about the gear. Arena net is completely and totally active which keeps a huge chunk of people still playing. That game is having population and log in issues , though not nearly as bad as swtor. You almost had to leave a server to join a different one if you wanted to wvw. There is nothing but material farming for crafting end game and the starter zones are nearly empty because the lack of continued box sales.

that said, defiance is hardly perfect. In fact it's not even a great game. It takes away a lot of things that i hated in other mmos though. I like that i can win at any level based on skill. Time investements for gear are just not reasonable for most of the population. I like that i can log in for an hour and immediately do a few things. I enjoy the fact i have no hotbar, with keys mapped, tab targetting everything. I am tired of looking for tank, healer, etc..

It's open, it's nice , it has nice progression (could be better). It's cash shop is not p2w. There are always room for improvements and this game needs a ton of them. THat said, it's a different playstyle than other mmo's and a nice break from killing the same dragon 3 nights a week or having to pvp for a year to get the gear to be competitive in pvp.

ok you really have some facts wrong , starting zones are never empty lol , ive logged on recently and theres way too many ppl there to qualify as it being "empty" maybe its the world (server) you logged on last time , mine has never been empty since launch and now.
The Run Raids part i hope you mean dungeons , cause there are no "raids" in GW2 , even then you dont have to run them , the gear is not a huge diff between something you can easily craft. prob the only gear that had ANY progression is the ascended gear , and theres not as much of that as your making it sound out to be.
WvW wasnt that much more of a disaster then Arkfalls are here in defiance now being a lagfest and ppl dissappearing left and right , diff is arkfall is pve and not pvp.
GW2 Stories being terrible neither of us can say is definite , good or bad , its a matter of perspective and ones personal tastes, so trying to argue on that is pointless. The last game to have a horrible story was ME3 , mostly due to ending and that got fixed hard , granted i still think ME3 sucked they did fix it.
And still not seeing login issues here , havent since BWE2 for GW2. So im starting to question where your getting all these "facts" from.

Enundr
06-23-2013, 12:56 PM

that was honestly my initial reaction when i heard when the game was coming out , i said they should have waited for next gen to come out , scyfy really could have waited for the TV series as well if it kept the tie in game popular.

Enundr
06-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Hrmm can't address the mobs disappearing and reappearing, never seen that, even in alpha and beta.. but it depends on your platform. Some bugs are console specific. Now, I will say sometimes when you cross a phase line into a mission this happens, but thats because you are effectively changing instances.

The default models thing is a level of detail loader. its a way to quickly load players so you don't have invisible people running around. It loads default model first, and then loads details as you get them. Its more apparent in very large groups and I'm told much worse on consoles than PC also. In other words its not a bug, its a feature, and in my opinion, a smart one.

Server side lag again, that's not been my experience as a PC player. In fact I haven't encountered lag in this game in a long time, since pre-release. If necessary I can set up a stream to demonstrate.. its just not there. So again I have trouble understanding why people insist Trion has lag issues.

Again alot of things people fault Defiance for seem to be experienced on individual levels, or across single platforms. Which is part of the problem.. they have to debug really two different games because how it works on PC seems distinctly different on how it works on consoles and even different consoles.

Im on Xbox myself , though if i could get my character data transfered to a PC version id get that. but meh. and this isnt even in open world either when im talking about ppl / npcs dissppearing , this is in coop maps (npcs being hostiles) its some weird lag thats looking more and more server side (xbox anyway) then anything else.

Ichidakiller
06-23-2013, 01:06 PM
If one is comparing them just as cars, then yes. However, if one tries to compare aspect of them, then the comparisons become moot.

However, Star Wars is a multi billion dollar franchise. Even if SWTOR utterly failed and they ate the costs, it would be just a drop in the bucket to the franchise. The franchise would continue on without SWTOR, and SWTOR could exist forever supported by the franchise.

So trying to focus on one small aspect that Defiance and SWTOR has in common makes the point moot because the point does not take into consideration all the other aspects which affect SWTOR.

Yours might work if swtor sold for 400$ a copy and defiance 60$.... But it doesnt so why you try to point out the flaws in someone else's logic, might want to fix the loopholes in your own

The simple fact is this Defiance is losing more players then it is gaining. When games like the triple A titles drop in the next 6months each one will take another piece of the fan base. Then the new systems drop. Another piece.
That's not even counting Destiny, The Division which will eat even further of the fan base.

So think of it this way 1,000,000 players (just for easy math not saying these are actual numbers here) if only 10% spend 10$ that's 1,000,000$ in Trions pocket now say for each game that drops Defiance loses 10% of its fan base there are at least 6 top name triple a titles that leaves defiance with roughly 478000 fans now keeping at 10% spend avg of 10$ 478000$ that's more then a 50% revenue loss.

Now say if Defiance loses 20% of its fan base for each system that drops. That leaves little over 300k.....
now you see the problem.... Mind you this doesnt even factor in the loss of fans based simply off boredom.

In 6months defiance will have lost so much of their fan base they won't have enough income to support the game. Let alone develop new content for it. Which again causes more fans to leave.

They have to do something to grab a larger fan base now or risk not having a large enough fan base to survive the coming triple a title and two next gen system launches. When you think about sorry to say but their are not enough PC fans to keep this game going.

Now make that worse by a company who clearly has proven they dont care what you want. Unable to fix bugs. Has horrible customer service. Lack of content. Unable or willing to update content. The writing is on the wall.

Unless Trion does something to stop the loss of players its will be another mmo that shuts down after a year of uneventful play, broken promises and a company that proves time and time again it doesnt really care about its fans.

tacoknight
06-23-2013, 01:17 PM
ok you really have some facts wrong , starting zones are never empty lol , ive logged on recently and theres way too many ppl there to qualify as it being "empty" maybe its the world (server) you logged on last time , mine has never been empty since launch and now.
The Run Raids part i hope you mean dungeons , cause there are no "raids" in GW2 , even then you dont have to run them , the gear is not a huge diff between something you can easily craft. prob the only gear that had ANY progression is the ascended gear , and theres not as much of that as your making it sound out to be.
WvW wasnt that much more of a disaster then Arkfalls are here in defiance now being a lagfest and ppl dissappearing left and right , diff is arkfall is pve and not pvp.
GW2 Stories being terrible neither of us can say is definite , good or bad , its a matter of perspective and ones personal tastes, so trying to argue on that is pointless. The last game to have a horrible story was ME3 , mostly due to ending and that got fixed hard , granted i still think ME3 sucked they did fix it.
And still not seeing login issues here , havent since BWE2 for GW2. So im starting to question where your getting all these "facts" from.

Okay, since you wanted to take this way to literal.

Starting zones. WHen i bought the game, and even a few months after. I would log in and in the first 20 or so levels, every dynamic even was full. WHen i last played (last month). I started my necro and got to around 20ish. Yes i did see people. THe zones in guild wars 2 are huge , but i noticed a huge fall off from when i started playing. This tied into the "this game is dead".

gw2 stories being terrible is a matter of preference.

Raiding, come on, you know what i meant. End game pve in guild wars 2 is farming. Once you have your exotics what else? There is not progression in the game. Once you hit 40 you are basically done with all your skills and total combos from weapons. I am not saying the game is bad, but there is a reason why people leave that game inf locks. There are people that enjoy farming cs in gw2 and enjoy the events . I find the crafting, farming, lack of progression reason enough to quit.

wvwvw has come a long way in gw2, i was pointing out that it took numerous changes to it, to get to that point. Still, it was almost unplayable in it's current release. I personally find the lack of leaderboards and progression annoying. A lot of this is personal preference and taste , but again, success here is really in the eye of the beholder.

If we want to talk about a third person mmo shooter that was a real failure, look at real time worlds. Anyways, im pointing out that despite the "sky is falling" topics, much of the more popular games have their very own "our game is dying" threads. Swtor, and gw2 brought up in this topic were posted as some sort of "perfect game" that everyone played and loved.

anyways, it is kinda sad to see that there are hardly any defiance players on steam on pc.

rjm
06-23-2013, 01:19 PM
It's a two month old game. It's not dying, it's being added to.
Remember, it's a crossover. More stuff comes in time.

this game is dead, not dying. one of the biggest wastes of money I have ever spent on a game.
absolutly a peice of repetative crap.

ralisti
06-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Yours might work if swtor sold for 400$ a copy and defiance 60$.... But it doesnt so why you try to point out the flaws in someone else's logic, might want to fix the loopholes in your own

Actually, that is the point. Both are cars. Both perform essentially the same tasks. (going from point A to point B), but Lamborghini is an iconic car and sells for more than 100x the Yugo. So comparing the 2 is a rather moot point. Outside of the fact that both are cars, both are in a different class of cars.

You may be able to find certain specific things to compare, but you can not compare the two on a whole as people have been trying to do between Defiance and SWTOR. Defiance and Star Wars are in two totally different classes.

Ichidakiller
06-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Actually, that is the point. Both are cars. Both perform essentially the same tasks. (going from point A to point B), but Lamborghini is an iconic car and sells for more than 100x the Yugo. So comparing the 2 is a rather moot point. Outside of the fact that both are cars, both are in a different class of cars.

You may be able to find certain specific things to compare, but you can not compare the two on a whole as people have been trying to do between Defiance and SWTOR. Defiance and Star Wars are in two totally different classes.

yep swtor will be going strong this time next year while defiance will have shut down the servers

rjm
06-23-2013, 01:50 PM
yep swtor will be going strong this time next year while defiance will have shut down the servers

swtor has already shut down more servers than this game started with. swtor has the same problems this game does, its boring, repetative, no social elements, and is pretty much a very poorly ran game. swtor wont make it much longer on its own. bioware had already been gutted, they lost over 3/4 of their player base in less than a year, and EA will screw each and every member of that game because thats what EA does. as bad as this game is it way better than swtor.

Dooks
06-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Where as I tend to agree with this, I hope not, game has a lot of flaws, but I still like logging on and shooting $hlt :)

Nyako
06-23-2013, 05:32 PM
swtor has already shut down more servers than this game started with. swtor has the same problems this game does, its boring, repetative, no social elements, and is pretty much a very poorly ran game. swtor wont make it much longer on its own. bioware had already been gutted, they lost over 3/4 of their player base in less than a year, and EA will screw each and every member of that game because thats what EA does. as bad as this game is it way better than swtor.

While they lost a lot of players, logic would dictate that players would leave it anyway because that is dare I say, human nature. You people get tired of something and leave it, never building loyalty, never finding your own reasons to keep playing games. This was what my essay which at least one person didn't read in the posts since then didn't understand. It is also why in the essay I mention that many of the players that stuck with SWTOR weren't diehard fans. Hell, I'm not and still play it. The people that were diehard fans had issues with things in game as well, which was the case for an old friend (well ex...) of mine that decided that he just couldn't play his characters in role play like he wanted on that game, and left permanently. Now he plays Second Life or something and tries to find Star Wars role players willing to role play with him.

This game has diehards in it. I mean hell me, I've only watched 2 shows of Defiance on TV and love the show. I hate the way the characters developed out in the show, but maybe seeing the first episodes would help me understand things like Datak killing that black haired guy, etc.

Even if I disliked the show, I'd still be loyal to the game, because it is a game that overcomes many of the issues I have had with other games, the fact that I have to shell out a crap ton of money on outfits to have the same outfit on all my characters. This game makes it so that I don't even have to worry about doing that thankfully. Hay, Devs and Mods reading this, Thank You for that :)

Having played SWTOR and seen the number of people in both the guild I was in and on the forums for both the guild and the game itself. I know that the most vocal people that claim that the game is dying or try to convince others of those facts, are only trying to make them not be the only ones to leave the game and to make a reason for them to leave. This is the case I'm noticing with most of the posts on this discussion thread. People are defending the game and other people are trying to make those people out to be false and what not. While I'm not starting a fight, the fight within the discussion between the two sides has been raging even before I posted the short essay.

In the end, the people that are in here and convinced that Defiance will fail and has failed, I'll say this to you all, you have your reason to leave so leave. At the same time, those of us that know for a fact that this game will still have supporters and will still be around months and possibly years into the future, we have our reason as well. Just look at games like Perfect World International (PWI), Forsaken World, Shaiya, Scarlet Blade (even though it just came out), AION (which sucked and still sucks, but survived), Second Life (in the beginning started out really slow, became super popular, lost a lot of popularity, but still maintains a nice user base that buys up a lot of in-world currency bits called Lindens), Star Trek Online (which sucks, but hay, its star trek... yeah right, people don't really play it for that reason, I love their character creator), EVE (which had no outside story, was very high on pirate list, and now is still around), and so many more MMOs. They all are not the most popular games out there, but they survived without having a show component. So, this game will survive as well.

In the end, this game will survive even if it only had 50 players playing it, because those 50 are likely like me and many others, putting money in the game in some form or another. Thus the game will survive.

Nyako
06-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Original post
Last post for now, in this highly negative thread. It is amazing how the vocal minority doesn't pay attention to the facts. There over 1,000 MMOs still active out there. Very few are based on old shows like SWTOR and STO, yet they survived the test of time, why?

These MMOs are like Runescape, Wizards 101, and the others I listed in the second to the last paragraph in my previous response. Why did they all survive? Shouldn't they have died out? Are they really that many lycan and vampire players out there for Forsaken World to keep it afloat?

In the end, ask yourselves these two questions. If the game was so bad and going to die, then why would the developers be planning out the content for the off-season of the show for this game and why would they waste their time playing with us players and doing contests with us players? If the game was so bad, then why would you see anyone on this forum at all, they should be moved on to other games and enjoying them if it was so bad, right?

Nyako
06-23-2013, 05:41 PM
as bad as this game is it way better than swtor.

AMEN rjm.

I'm usually not one to use a Christian saying, but hell... You are spot on there.

Enundr
06-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Original post
Last post for now, in this highly negative thread. It is amazing how the vocal minority doesn't pay attention to the facts. There over 1,000 MMOs still active out there. Very few are based on old shows like SWTOR and STO, yet they survived the test of time, why?

These MMOs are like Runescape, Wizards 101, and the others I listed in the second to the last paragraph in my previous response. Why did they all survive? Shouldn't they have died out? Are they really that many lycan and vampire players out there for Forsaken World to keep it afloat?

In the end, ask yourselves these two questions. If the game was so bad and going to die, then why would the developers be planning out the content for the off-season of the show for this game and why would they waste their time playing with us players and doing contests with us players? If the game was so bad, then why would you see anyone on this forum at all, they should be moved on to other games and enjoying them if it was so bad, right?

i have loyalty but if i dont see a game FULLY functioning (like on xbox ppl cant seem to change their pvp outfits for example) then loyalty can only go so far , if anything thats why a game would die ,add to that as far as consoles Next Gen is around the corner , how are they going to handle that?

Enundr
06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
i have loyalty but if i dont see a game FULLY functioning (like on xbox ppl cant seem to change their pvp outfits for example) then loyalty can only go so far , if anything thats why a game would die ,add to that as far as consoles Next Gen is around the corner , how are they going to handle that?

true that lots of mmos have issues , but not as many as this , the mmos that can never get fixed , dont survive that well. Devs get laid off till theyre down to a skeleton crew , etc.

Nefarious
06-23-2013, 06:21 PM
This thread sucks.

Sanguinesun
06-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Out of curiosity, I just looked up in game my clan, since I almost never see anyone on from it. 70 members essentially have been inactive in it for a month or more with most in the 50 days or more range. Only about 10-15 people have logged on in the last 30 days.

I cant necessarily say every clan is like this but a few others in other clans have said similar.

Dooks
06-23-2013, 06:42 PM
This thread sucks.

OK, you made me lol

Daholic
06-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Out of curiosity, I just looked up in game my clan, since I almost never see anyone on from it. 70 members essentially have been inactive in it for a month or more with most in the 50 days or more range. Only about 10-15 people have logged on in the last 30 days.

I cant necessarily say every clan is like this but a few others in other clans have said similar.

That terrible.

ewishki
06-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I am wondering if the loss of players and perceived lower clan size is more on console than PC. I have been able to q up Shadow War after Shadow War all weekend on PC. Most have been going off with only 1-5 min wait times.

For some reason it seems console users are all about "getting it now". I think previous games have taught console users to find the mark on a map, do something then find the next mark. Seems very 90's Mario brothers to me, without the left to right scroll. Get the blue key to open the blue door to find the red door which you need the red key for.

Games like this are played for years, not weeks. You don't have to blow through everything so you can send then game back to Game fly or trade it in for the next big release. I also noticed this effect with Skyrim boards. PC users tried to do anything and everything possible in the game and mod it to make it super hard or whatever they wanted to do. Console users just blew through the main story quest then complained about the game. Skyrim might be the best RPG ever made and yet the console users whined anyway. For some reason console users actually want to get as little value for their game purchases as possible. If the map didn't tell you to go find someone that will give you a quest to progress the main story then they don't do it.

I miss the days of ultima Online and Everquest. No markers on the map telling you where to go. No YouTube videos outlining how to kill X mob. No answers floating around on message boards on how to get through content quicker.

My feeling is, its your own damn fault for ruinig your experience.

Meanwhile on the PC we will keep playing Shadow Wars, FY and TDM and getting owned by Arked, Tempest and Virus......and loving every minute of it.

Sanguinesun
06-23-2013, 07:37 PM
I am wondering if the loss of players and perceived lower clan size is more on console than PC. I have been able to q up Shadow War after Shadow War all weekend on PC. Most have been going off with only 1-5 min wait times.

For some reason it seems console users are all about "getting it now". I think previous games have taught console users to find the mark on a map, do something then find the next mark. Seems very 90's Mario brothers to me, without the left to right scroll. Get the blue key to open the blue door to find the red door which you need the red key for.

Games like this are played for years, not weeks. You don't have to blow through everything so you can send then game back to Game fly or trade it in for the next big release. I also noticed this effect with Skyrim boards. PC users tried to do anything and everything possible in the game and mod it to make it super hard or whatever they wanted to do. Console users just blew through the main story quest then complained about the game. Skyrim might be the best RPG ever made and yet the console users whined anyway. For some reason console users actually want to get as little value for their game purchases as possible. If the map didn't tell you to go find someone that will give you a quest to progress the main story then they don't do it.

I miss the days of ultima Online and Everquest. No markers on the map telling you where to go. No YouTube videos outlining how to kill X mob. No answers floating around on message boards on how to get through content quicker.

Meanwhile on the PC we will keep playing Shadow Wars, FY and TDM and getting owned by Arked, Tempest and Virus......and loving every minute of it.

My clan stats listing was for PC.

Jamesdanex
06-23-2013, 07:56 PM
After E3 I have to say my hopes for this game pulling out of its current state are slim to none, once next gen hits it will really start dying, and after the release of Elder Scrolls Online, and Destiny it will cease to exist on console, at the very least.

Nyako
06-23-2013, 08:13 PM

Also I'm wondering when TRION will just cut XBox and PS3 loose, they are both crappy platforms especially when compared to a gaming rig. This would solve most of our problems right now, as the coding isn't the same for one to the other. If it is, then that explains the issues everyone mentions. However, I doubt they are doing that as Rift runs stably for me just as this game does too. And most bugs I've noticed are ark fall related as in no crystal ark fall bugs.

Also at the next gen consoles... They really suck too unfortunately when compared to gaming rigs and even some gaming tablets and gaming laptops. I'm sure people will run from Defiance to those platforms... Yet as I've stated, they would have ran anyways, so no problems there.

This game can survive on the PC easily. So as someone posted, this thread sucks, you all want to see bad in the game... do as you wish...

Ichidakiller
06-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Also I'm wondering when TRION will just cut XBox and PS3 loose, they are both crappy platforms especially when compared to a gaming rig. This would solve most of our problems right now, as the coding isn't the same for one to the other. If it is, then that explains the issues everyone mentions. However, I doubt they are doing that as Rift runs stably for me just as this game does too. And most bugs I've noticed are ark fall related as in no crystal ark fall bugs.

Also at the next gen consoles... They really suck too unfortunately when compared to gaming rigs and even some gaming tablets and gaming laptops. I'm sure people will run from Defiance to those platforms... Yet as I've stated, they would have ran anyways, so no problems there.

This game can survive on the PC easily. So as someone posted, this thread sucks, you all want to see bad in the game... do as you wish...

Ok let's look at it..... You paid im guessing several thousand for your gaming rig
I paid 200$ for my console..... We play the same game your looks a little prettyier other then that...same game.

So to get the same exp you paid 10x what I did....... I can total see how you guy on PC can keep this game alive your used to overpaying.... Go for it Captain Save a Hoe keep defiance alive.... Myself I'll stay buying consoles getting almost the same exp as you besides fan made addon in most cases..... Considering that most games coming out now require 2-4gb of ram next Gen has 8....i think I can safely say the old school thinking of consoles can't do what my PC can... That line is going to blur a bit with this Gen of consoles.

So keep paying for your over priced gaming rig your so proud of. Hey want to go play a game....nope can't got a virus have to reinstall everything. Hey want to go play the next greatest game....no I can't my email hit hacked as well as my stream account....oh...ok....tepp me again how great PC gamers are.

This bs of pc>consoles is garbage. Both have their bonuses and negatives. And sadly look at the numbers PC doesnt have the numbers to support this game. Yeah you might be able to keep it alive for a few months but with all the mmo's PC has access to..... Won't be long till defiance is forgotten.

Fancypants
06-23-2013, 09:41 PM
This bs of pc>consoles is garbage. Both have their bonuses and negatives. And sadly look at the numbers PC doesnt have the numbers to support this game. Yeah you might be able to keep it alive for a few months but with all the mmo's PC has access to..... Won't be long till defiance is forgotten.I think you could have said this and left most everything else out without the 'pc vs console' rant.

This game will go F2P. Trion has already done it with a game that was already their chief moneymaker, Rift. They planned the F2P conversion there for over a year while stringing the paying subs in that game along in order to pay for it (and Defiance). When the bottom started to fall out of Rift (the cashflow to pay for this game), they pulled the plug to drop some employees from this game.

Thoughts and Reactions to the F2P Bombshell (http://rift.junkiesnation.com/2013/05/15/thoughts-and-reactions-to-the-f2p-bombshell/)

See, they hawked a crapload of year's subscriptions to the unsuspected Rift players when they sold them the Storm Legion expansion ("Buy a year's worth of sub time, get SL free" etc). So those suckers ponied up in advance for content unseen (sound familiar? DLC anyone?) and the SL released, it was so crappy that it undersold and servers kept going downward.

But what those 'customers' didn't know what that Rift had secretly been planning to go F2P for a year already:

"Guys, this has been in the works for quite some time, and no one left the company because of this decision. This was not over night - we've been looking at this for over a year, carefully planning what the right transition for RIFT meant, a transition that gives real value to the users, not just a cash grab.

I understand that any number of you are upset right now, that this is a shock to some of you. It's our job as developers to prove to you, with actions, not words, that this is the best thing for RIFT.

~Daglar

So. Then the Rift people got all upset. Too bad but that's what you get for paying a year in advance. :p

Trion as a company says a lot of the right things. Their PR department should be paid three times whatever they are getting now, because that's the only thing that seems to work. They keep getting people to pay in advance and buy.. promises.

The PC market cannot support this game alone, so it will convert. The big spenders will do their part in the cash shop but idk if that will be enough when the competition comes.

But even a bomb like Warhammer Online is still open with three servers so this game might stay open.. who knows?

Payback
06-23-2013, 09:55 PM
My clan stats listing was for PC.

LOL I guess there goes that stupid theory!

Payback
06-23-2013, 09:58 PM
This game has died for me and I am sure many others who have found it repetitive. I did buy it for my 11 year old son so we could do some playing together on the weekend. Otherwise I am on State of Decay or BF3 until new DLC comes out and World of Tanks 360 edition.

ewishki
06-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Ok let's look at it..... You paid im guessing several thousand for your gaming rig
I paid 200$ for my console..... We play the same game your looks a little prettyier other then that...same game.

So to get the same exp you paid 10x what I did....... I can total see how you guy on PC can keep this game alive your used to overpaying.... Go for it Captain Save a Hoe keep defiance alive.... Myself I'll stay buying consoles getting almost the same exp as you besides fan made addon in most cases..... Considering that most games coming out now require 2-4gb of ram next Gen has 8....i think I can safely say the old school thinking of consoles can't do what my PC can... That line is going to blur a bit with this Gen of consoles.

So keep paying for your over priced gaming rig your so proud of. Hey want to go play a game....nope can't got a virus have to reinstall everything. Hey want to go play the next greatest game....no I can't my email hit hacked as well as my stream account....oh...ok....tepp me again how great PC gamers are.

This bs of pc>consoles is garbage. Both have their bonuses and negatives. And sadly look at the numbers PC doesnt have the numbers to support this game. Yeah you might be able to keep it alive for a few months but with all the mmo's PC has access to..... Won't be long till defiance is forgotten.

I own all consoles and a gaming PC. If you honestly think a console will perform to a gaming PC's ability you are just being stubborn or niece. Pop in Skyrim and tell me if you are playing the same game. Then mod it with your console. This isn't about PC vs Console. It is the console players mentality vs the PCs. I have played MMOs with way more issues and bugs and have never seen even 1/10th the whining and crying as I do in the Defiance forums. I think it is too much hide being the microphone and talk trash to people that is doing it.....or who knows, but it is very obvious.

The money argument is a moot point. A 2 million dollar home isn't a dump just because someone can buy a double wide for $80k.

And hacking and viruses hit everyone. I remember PS store being closed for a month due to hackers and then when they brought it back up it got hit again within 24 hours.

Point and case....this thread went up while I was typing: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?96997-Xbox-freezes-on-freight-yard

I run just fine on FY. Never have had issues since it went back up this time.

ewishki
06-23-2013, 10:04 PM
After E3 I have to say my hopes for this game pulling out of its current state are slim to none, once next gen hits it will really start dying, and after the release of Elder Scrolls Online, and Destiny it will cease to exist on console, at the very least.

I agree 100% with this. ESO is going to be insane. I know someone in the first stage beta. It is flat out sick. Anyone putting out an MMO against ESO next year is asking to fail......IMO.

Each version of the trilogy has won game of the year when it came out and Skyrim is easily the best non MMO fantasy RPG I have ever played.

Payback
06-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Didn't hit the Xbox... :)

Ewishki You shouldn't lump all people in one category. Not all PC gamers think alike and neither do console gamers. The fact that everyone comes on here like they have the answers to everything is hilarious.... it's like having a million Dr. Phil's converging on this forum. Pretty much why I barely come here.

For me the game is dying because I barely play it, wouldn't play it anymore then I do if I hand a PC or PS3. The only games that have ever maintained my attention for 8 years... well 9 years this July, is the STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT series! Thankfully they are finally going to make a new one and I am f**king elated.

Nyako
06-23-2013, 10:52 PM
I own all consoles and a gaming PC. If you honestly think a console will perform to a gaming PC's ability you are just being stubborn or niece. Pop in Skyrim and tell me if you are playing the same game. Then mod it with your console. This isn't about PC vs Console. It is the console players mentality vs the PCs. I have played MMOs with way more issues and bugs and have never seen even 1/10th the whining and crying as I do in the Defiance forums. I think it is too much hide being the microphone and talk trash to people that is doing it.....or who knows, but it is very obvious.

The money argument is a moot point. A 2 million dollar home isn't a dump just because someone can buy a double wide for $80k.

And hacking and viruses hit everyone. I remember PS store being closed for a month due to hackers and then when they brought it back up it got hit again within 24 hours.

Point and case....this thread went up while I was typing: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?96997-Xbox-freezes-on-freight-yard

I run just fine on FY. Never have had issues since it went back up this time.

Agreed, console player mentality vs. the PCs, I know of no game that can look as good on a console as they do on a PC. I also know of no game that runs as stably on a console as they do on PCs. Why? Simple because PCs get updated more and have better standalone, dedicated parts for various things like sound, graphics, and even the gaming software gets updated more frequently for most games on PCs.

I have tried once, Frieght Yard, I dislike PVP but was curious, and well... It ran nicely, even though I couldn't hold my own against the enemy players I was playing against. Thus, yet another one PC player that can backup that aspect of the PC version of this game.

Also agreed money question isn't important. And for me the security, updates, and stability of all games are better on PC than on any consoles. Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2 ran better on PC than on PS3 and XBox 360, I remember that because some people I knew recommended the PC version and to not get the console ones. So this game is going through that same issue, yet they cut the console side loose and trust me there would still be a Defiance game. And players would still play this game, just like there still is a STO, PWI, Shaiya, etc. Yes there is a lot of variety for PC users in MMOs, but there will always be players wanting to play this game because of its show tie ins and because it is a very nice shooter.

Nyako
06-23-2013, 10:55 PM
I agree 100% with this. ESO is going to be insane. I know someone in the first stage beta. It is flat out sick. Anyone putting out an MMO against ESO next year is asking to fail......IMO.

Each version of the trilogy has won game of the year when it came out and Skyrim is easily the best non MMO fantasy RPG I have ever played.

Funny, I hate skyrim and I've found that my sister and her friends use to play it when it came out. It took them about a week, no more than 3 weeks to tire of Skyrim and start back to playing Second Life non-stop. That should show you that just because one person thinks a game is super great and that a game won all these awards and so forth, doesn't mean it can hold the interest and thus, the financial backing of everyone.

Also @PayBack, as Samara said on Mass Effect 2, put 2 humans in the same room together and their will be like 3 or more opinions on any one topic that comes up. This has held true for as long as I can remember in regards to some humans. It drives misanthropes to distrust humans and at times worst, hate them out right because of the bickering and how people try to drive there opinions as if they are the whole of the law. Oh for anyone that doesn't know, misanthropes are people that dislike humans (**** sapiens) ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misanthrope ).

When its all said and done though, the game will survive because it has started grabbing its niche market players. I've seen a niche market game that survived worst and it had no "endgame" as it was entirely combat role play based. There very few people that will play that type of game especially of the nature it was. Anyways, this game will survive definitely if that game could.

moonwulf
06-23-2013, 11:10 PM
The main problem i have with this game is that other than Arkfalls it doesn't really feel at all like a MMO. Many of the updates for this game so far has been to fix problems with the servers (which is fine of course) but people want more content to keep them coming back especially since there's no End game aspect of it what so ever

What i think they really need to do is add more guns...creative and unique ones. let our oranges or even pink weapons (which should be added) have some king of crazy effect that'll make other players go "wow i want that!" so they can start searching or grind for them. i also think it would have been a lot better if being a different character or race actually did add something like a character class like borderlands. also co-op games should have the player count extended, this is a MMO after all, make some missions that support larger than just 4 players.

also i do wish that the weapons scaled and i'm sure the only reason they don't is because of PVP which i don't even play. would be nice if weapons had PVP base stats that differ from PVE. Not many people enjoy getting probably the best or most useful gun in the game on their first time playing and holding onto it for 2000 levels

By all means though i don't think this game is bad, probably because it's one of the first MMO's i've played and it's on a console but it's still enjoyable to me but it obviously has a lot of improvement to go through and hopefully soon.

Nyako
06-23-2013, 11:18 PM
The main problem i have with this game is that other than Arkfalls it doesn't really feel at all like a MMO. Many of the updates for this game so far has been to fix problems with the servers (which is fine of course) but people want more content to keep them coming back especially since there's no End game aspect of it what so ever.

There is, grinding for skills and loot and scrip.

I've played and worked for a game that truly had no end game. The reason was is that it was an entire combat role play game. This means that it was built in such a way that people could fight each other like we do in game with guns, skills, etc. and role play too. It was up to the players to create their own stories within that game's main story and progress out their own dramas. It was rather enjoyable, I've been tried for treason as a demoness and I've encountered an understanding for the light side of life and became what is called an ascended demon. Yet, there was literally no end game, no objectives, no nothing that we have in Defiance.

Do you think you could play that kind of game?

Ichidakiller
06-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Everyone has answers except Trion. Lets remove the only real content we have added since launch....ok great plan. Now lets reduce arkfalls so you have your choice between one that's bugged or filled with ******bags "I dont care I'll kill what I want im going for my pursuit" well little Billy you cam do that just lay off your ADHD trigger finger for half a second and let the skits bite a few holes first them nuke away. Again great choice Trion. Weekly show tie ins are nothing more then data recorders. You think people would be so pissed about the loss of content or arkfalls if every week had some form of content other then data recorders. No.

Problem is that people are starved for some form of content and the content we do have either doesnt work, getting reduced it flat out removed. We know the weekly show ties in are going to suck because they have proven time and again. Everything is resting on this dlc that comes out at the end of July. So a month from now.... So they expect this game to survive a month on minimal content, zero updates and no communication.

When in a month we are getting melee weapons, a new race and sieges brought back with the volge. Doesn't seem like a big update 3months in. So....we are going to be able to melee in pvp and on small fries and cannon fodder.....but I highly doubt anyone will be going toe to toe with a tanker, hulker, monarch or hellion. not sure about the volge but I doubt it. So they bring in a novelty weapons, another skin swap with the new race because that's all that one really amounts to. Sieges mode with volge which is keep form with most other enemies in the game 4-5new models.....

Dlc we have to wait a month for for a skin swap, a novelty weapon and 4-5 new enemy models.....no offense but you have to be freaking joking. Very skimpy dlc if you ask me.

But hey recruit a friend .....

still have a ton of bugs less then at launch but still alot left and alot that have poped up since they started trying to fix things.
Minimal content since launch, lake of actually repairing anything and a very skimpy dlc incoming....my question is wtf have they been doing with their time.... Where did they spend it. Oh that's right they spent a month fixing freight yard.....

Not alot of good faith left in Trion.

Nyako
06-24-2013, 12:16 AM
When in a month we are getting melee weapons, a new race and sieges brought back with the volge. Doesn't seem like a big update 3months in. So....we are going to be able to melee in pvp and on small fries and cannon fodder.....but I highly doubt anyone will be going toe to toe with a tanker, hulker, monarch or hellion. not sure about the volge but I doubt it. So they bring in a novelty weapons, another skin swap with the new race because that's all that one really amounts to. Sieges mode with volge which is keep form with most other enemies in the game 4-5new models...

This is why I don't really care for the melee weapon update. I'll still run and gun. I just want to have my charge sniper rifle to test it out. And to be honest, if it sucks to the point that I'm better off with a semi-auto sniper rifle... I'll just be using them for the time being...

What I wanted about 2 weeks into playing this game was the Castithans. However, now that I've seen the last two episodes of the show, I rather they come out with Indogenes than Castithans. I like technology more so than I like the species-ist racism of the Castithans. Thus, they have lost their appeal to me, but watching the doctor and seeing Eren in game, I would rather play as an Indogene or a cyborg similar to the Indogene instead.

TRION could just give us all 7 races (not volge) and let us all decide for our selves what race we'd want to play as. If they make it so the races don't have any stats or special skills associated with them, then we'd find the one we like the best and make our characters that race.

JonDav
06-24-2013, 12:51 AM

Now this is a hilarious post. Why the hell would Trion cut consoles loose when I'm pretty sure they make up a majority of the sales and player base? The sales statistics available show that the 360 version sold the most copies. We can go the "what about digital route" but until we have some evidence that reflects digital PC sales surpassing that of the 360, I will continue to think otherwise. I'm mainly a PC player, but the delusion from this fanbase is laughable. What evidence do we have that states this game is thriving on PC? The only statistics that were displayed were by Steam users talking about the game's pretty poor numbers. Nothing points to this game thriving on PC. Until this is verified, this "PC only" talk is nonsense. This isn't a mediocre product on one platform and phenomenal on another. It's a below average product no matter the platform.

Booshy
06-24-2013, 01:44 PM
LOL!! My god the fanbois run rampant in this thread. Talk about head-in-the-sandism, holy hell. More like head-in-a-tarpit. Want to play the game and enjoy it, despite it's shortcomings and failings, I have respect for that. Saying comments like "oh it's just YOUR clan that has an issue" when dude talks about 80 active players down to 10 is just pathetic fanboism. My clan was the same way - 40-50 actives, down to under 5. That's probably the story of almost every clan in the game. The game is just too short on content, impatient as mmo gamers are, there is just no way this game will satisfy and hold the attention of most players for long. And the show tie-in content has been a joke. It's fun for a few people sure, but the vast majority are already out of here and it shows. At least have some self pride and say you enjoy playing a game that isn't doing too well instead of trying to paint some bogus rosy picture of the game's status and quality.