PDA

View Full Version : The EU servers need language-specific servers

Alexri
06-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Playing on the EU servers can sometimes be an epic nightmare. German and French versions of the game are being sold, but for some reason Trion failed to do what most MMOs do and actually put those players on their own servers.

Most of the time you can get by fine with players who can't speak English, but those moments where you can't are big problems. The obvious example would be arkfalls where people do things like kill skitterlings, because at least on US servers you know that what you write in chat is understood.

A bigger problem is however bugs, especially in coop. I just did a motherlode run where the boss bugged and didn't extend the four final crit points on his back, which makes him unkillable (how is this bug still there after several months!?). I told everyone that he was bugged and that everyone dying would fix it. One person responded that he understood, the rest just continued shooting grenades at the thing for some reason (how you can be EGO 3k+ and not realize something is that bugged is beyond me).

I then went on Google Translate and translated "bugged - suicide" into french and german, and pasted that. Still nothing. Started killing myself, and the two group members who were oblivious ran around and ressed the two of us who kept killing ourselves. Again, how it's possible to be that high EGO and not understand that when someone blows themselves up with grenades in front of you that there's a reason for it, I don't know.

I was group leader, and eventually just had to kick the two people who didn't take the hint. OFC the game started putting people back in, and what do you know, more people who apparently don't understand English, French, or German. Eventually got everyone killed or kicked, and it reset. The same people from the first time came back in, bugged it again, and repeat the entire process.

At the end there was just me left. Killed myself, it reset, entered, made sure not to blow the first two crit points too quickly, and voila, it didn't bug.

This has happened before, and it will happen again. People who can't communicate with one another have no business playing together in an MMO, the very notion of it is absurd. There should be dedicated servers for each language of the game, and people who don't speak any of the supported languages have no business playing the game.

Oh, and before anyone jump on me for being an ignorant native English speaker who doesn't understand the difficulties of learning multiple languages,; I'm bilingual. The very idea of using my native language in an online game is beyond ridiculous, and I wouldn't even think of playing an online game in a language I don't understand.

GiantInMaine
06-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Yeah that has to be a nightmare.

Amone
06-21-2013, 10:48 PM
even more region locks would be a nightmare ..

AmnesiaHaze
06-21-2013, 11:18 PM
splitting a already small user base (EU PS3) doesnt sound like a good idea, its already very hard to find a shadow war in a all EU server , on a Spanish only (example) it would be impossible

Olaf
06-22-2013, 12:09 AM
yeah probably one of the worst ideas I have heard.

Lasse B
06-22-2013, 12:30 AM
That makes you wonder if it's a bot, or a real human being that behaves so stupidly. I can certainly understand your pain, Alexri, but dividing the community further comes with its own downsides. It's already difficult at times finding players to do co-op maps with, at least on the PC.

It is for that reason I'm thinking about playing on the US server to see how it is over there. Beta servers were located in the US and playing was mostly free of lag, so this could be a viable though hurtful option since I'd have to leave behind any gear and resources I already collected.

blurps
06-22-2013, 01:11 AM
OP's problem with the Motherlode co-op probably resulted from people not reading chat at all rather than not understanding even basic English.

Splitting the already small playerbase even further would be a terrible idea, Trion should just fix the horrible chat system instead.

Strontium Dog
06-22-2013, 01:20 AM
WAIT!! What we really need is one server each then we wouldn't expect to see others online and be disappointed!

Seriously,no. Sure it happens like OP said but believe me it can STILL happen when all speak the same language (especially with this chat system)

Muffins
06-22-2013, 01:22 AM
splitting a already small user base (EU PS3) doesnt sound like a good idea, its already very hard to find a shadow war in a all EU server , on a Spanish only (example) it would be impossible

I was just thinking this.
As much as communication is a problem so would having the servers entirety, or in this case, splitting it into 3. German, French and English.

Okta
06-22-2013, 04:29 AM
I was just thinking this.
As much as communication is a problem so would having the servers entirety, or in this case, splitting it into 3. German, French and English.

because we have not enough players. i dont know if someone tould u but game mute options

duction
06-22-2013, 04:32 AM
i have not seen on person speak anything but English on the EU server... am i missing somthing?

drackiller
06-22-2013, 05:20 AM
I`m sorry OP but you are confusing not beeing able to speak english with pure stupidity.

Everybody speaks english in this days, better or worst but everybody speaks and even better , understand it in the writen form.
Believe me that it is only bad behavior and pure stupidity.

DarknessEyes PT
06-22-2013, 06:36 AM
To start a shadow wars its already a pain... if you split us..
IMO Shadow wars should be intercontinental.

Muffins
06-22-2013, 07:45 AM
because we have not enough players. i dont know if someone tould u but game mute options

Yeah, I know, I've got things muted but I'm not even on the EU server. I'd just rather not hear the crackling of dorito's and pepsi cans opening followed by the crunch and gulping of American MMO players.

Now if you excuse me my pet roo got out of its cage again and my croc needs feeding.

blurps
06-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I know, I've got things muted but I'm not even on the EU server. I'd just rather not hear the crackling of dorito's and pepsi cans opening followed by the crunch and gulping of American MMO players.

Now if you excuse me my pet roo got out of its cage again and my croc needs feeding.

Until Trion makes push to talk the default setting I just have voice chat disabled when playing with people I don't know.