PDA

View Full Version : TV show concerns

Kalbuir
06-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm (probably like many of you) a big sci fi fan, I watch a lot of series not only sci fi and to me it seems like a really really rough time to launch a TV series. Especially the USA market seems to be totally cutthroat when competing for prime time slots or sub primetime slots. Once rating go down after the first two episodes it seems like networks are already prepared to cut the slot or half the season or just flat out cancel it.

I have no doubt the defiance series will be awesome for fans of the upcoming universe and game, I am just wondering what will happen if the rest of the (mostly usa) target group won't bother watching a show falling in the Sci Fi genre which has been struggling to keep up ratings for the past two years already. (The Event, SGU, Outcasts, Caprica, Continiuum (seeing this one get canceled as well) , even a big marketed show like Falling Skies with major names like Spielberg still seems to be struggling to find an audience.

I mainly wonder if Syfy will remain to air the series even if it doesn't make up killer ratings, It would be such a shame if the game it left to its own after 1 season of the TV series as the mix of it makes it so appealing. Defiance has a lot working for it though, for one thing a pretty nice looking cast.

Am I the only one that had this though?

I really hope Defiance can be the next big hit for Sci Fi on SyFy :P

Aythir
06-28-2012, 03:53 PM
I think everyone is concerned about this factor, even Trion games. The thing is at least in my eyes they have left so pretty bad shows on air running for multiple seasons while cutting other shows that have millions of fans off before its time. This happened to my favorite show Firefly and it still pains me knowing that it could have been awesome. Also with a lot of bad SYFY movies they air, they should leave something like this going a little longer then they normally allow shows to show their follower base.

If it does cancel and the play base is fairly decent they may still make the show and give the players access to the show but on a lower budget. At least to see how long the idea of the double media factor could go and still work even if to a smaller viewer base. But I do hope it all works out, I love finding new shows that grab my interest and keep going for multiple seasons.

Escyos
06-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Syfy and other networks simply refuse to get with the times and take DVR and download ratings into consideration. They want their first time to be the best and get them lots of money right now. If they did look at everything before taking any action we would get to keep our shows for longer.

Kalbuir
06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Ow please dont get me started about firefly, you'll make me cry. Firefly aired on FOX originally though which is certainly in my book on of the wordt offenders of taking ratings a bit too serious. At the other hand I understand that if you areba cable network and you only have paying subscribers that ratings are very important to justify airing something, especially when reruns of something like A-team gives you bigger.ratings....

Still I.just hope someone in TRION or/and syfy has had the foresight to take failure into account because yes there might be possibilities to keep the.dubble media format running even if he TV show does not become a big hit.

Im still hoping that with the cast and marketting defiance can become a big hit on TV. And hey if you look from it objectively if the game scores big the TV wins, if the TV show scores big the game wins. If both are a hit, well the sky's the.limmit.

(on phone so formatting might be a bit fubar.)

gobSIDES
06-29-2012, 07:29 AM
My main concern is that in the last year 2 shows in the sci-fi genre have been canceled after just 1 season in Terra Nova and Alcatraz.

What will happen to the game if the show is not a big hit? What are SyFy going to be looking at as their target more than 2m? I mean look at Eureka, cut after season 4 for "profit margins" not being hight enough and they pulled down over a 2 million viewer average in season 4. I mean we have seen the trailer for the game, gameplay and related artwork to the world of the game this is not going to be a cheap series to make either.

Some hope comes in the form of a relatively similar show Falling Skies receiving a second season showing that people are still interested in sci-fi shows and that the potential for success is present if a network is willing to give it a descent time slot, proper advertisement, financial backing and most importantly time to grow and reach its stride.

Fingers crossed for the show.

Kalbuir
06-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Some hope comes in the form of a relatively similar show Falling Skies receiving a second season showing that people are still interested in sci-fi shows and that the potential for success is present if a network is willing to give it a descent time slot, proper advertisement, financial backing and most importantly time to grow and reach its stride.

I'd be seriously surprised though if falling skies makes a 3rd season, which is a shame but in the back of my head I am already taking it into account.

I totally agree with you that 2 mil. numbers in just USA could indeed be problematic for any future Sci Fi shows.

Aythir
06-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Trust me Kalbuir, I would start to cry about that series as well. Another point, is I hear that Tera Nova eventually got the go ahead for a 2nd season or did I just miss hear that from someone else?

Also They may take into account the number of player base they get for the game as well as the viewer base for the show and use that to take into account if the show sticks around. I was thinking, if the show pulls 500 thousand viewers, but the game has about 1 million players, they may keep it running since they might figure at least half of that player base is also watching the show and could easily stop playing if the duel media is the thing holding them to the game.

Kalbuir
06-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Trust me Kalbuir, I would start to cry about that series as well. Another point, is I hear that Tera Nova eventually got the go ahead for a 2nd season or did I just miss hear that from someone else?

I'm afraid you miss heard: http://www.tv.com/shows/terra-nova/ I did hear some conflicting reports though about its renewel at some point but at this point its certain that its not coming back. What surprised me is that it was dropped, almost to a point that Spielberg in this show was nothing more than a poster boy. Would have imagined they would have given him a bit more time to prove the show (like with fallen skies). If that would have saved the show can be debated, still any loss of SciFi is a loss in my oppinion.

One upside to "possible" good shows being canceled is that other companies seem to notice that it is the case. For example a while back Netflix was looking into bringing back cancelled / no longer being aired series not only for re-runs but also for new productions. Prime example of that would be the show Jericho which last I checked Netflix was looking into possibilities for renewal. These sort of efforts could in the long run help Science Fiction on TV a lot especially if I hope a little further and hope someone over at these companies has a soft spot of Firefly :p

Also They may take into account the number of player base they get for the game as well as the viewer base for the show and use that to take into account if the show sticks around. I was thinking, if the show pulls 500 thousand viewers, but the game has about 1 million players, they may keep it running since they might figure at least half of that player base is also watching the show and could easily stop playing if the duel media is the thing holding them to the game.

Yea that is what I am hoping for but from a purely business point of few I wonder if at the end of that day it will work like that. Which ever way I look at it the entire project feels like: "With great risks, come even greater rewards". And I have to admit seeing TRION pull RIFT out of their hat makes me very optimistic.

Mindfix
06-30-2012, 06:29 AM
I think i was one of the few people who was a little saddened they canceled SGU, i was actually getting into it but on the other hand i did feel as if i was the only person watching it. Lets not forget some of the success that they have had though like SG1 and battlestar. Also AMC has a hit on their hands in The Walking Dead i know a ton of people watching that that i would have never thought would have watched it, heck even my wife watches lol. My point is that i believe this show can succeed but they do need a strong start and need to get the name out there.

Kalbuir
06-30-2012, 07:18 AM
I think i was one of the few people who was a little saddened they canceled SGU, i was actually getting into it but on the other hand i did feel as if i was the only person watching it. Lets not forget some of the success that they have had though like SG1 and battlestar. Also AMC has a hit on their hands in The Walking Dead i know a ton of people watching that that i would have never thought would have watched it, heck even my wife watches lol. My point is that i believe this show can succeed but they do need a strong start and need to get the name out there.

You are quite correct on the Walking Dead they had a small core group of fans with the comics prior to the show and with the small success AMC had before the Walking Dead a lot of people watched the first 3 shows with great interest after that it just took of as it should. I think its almost the case that the amount of people that stop watching in the first 3 episodes is an indication of the shows potential.

As a side note, I loved SGU as well and many of my friends were also sad to see it go. At the same time though I was also often frustrated with the writing and show plot in general. Battling their selves and the ship more than a common enemy. I think the big enemy in that show came a little to late and there was too much focus on character building to introduce the new characters to the fans asap which I think nipped the show in the butt in the end.

Mindfix
07-01-2012, 05:36 AM
What you said concerning SGU was dead on. For me I really felt the show kept getting better as it went a long and by the end i was really looking forward to each episode but wasn;t suprised it was canceled.

As for Defiance i really feel they have a good shot to be something big (same boat as walking dead) but they need that first episode to be something great.

Azazel
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I LOVED SGU i just wish they got 2 more seasons really wanted to know more about the CMB storyline they built.

But IMO All the cancellations of shows (Sanctuary getting cancelled pissed me off) proves to me that they are going to put more focus on this i mean this my very well be Revolutionary in entertainment, the fact that if you are playing you can get an annocement to watch the show can increase ratings. And if the show does get cut after season 1 i think they might just to webisodes with the animated versions of the characters.

My main concern with the game is if the show is a hit, every season either will be a 7/8ths closure, or a cliffhanger that really wont be that good due to the fact that when the season done we still play, im pretty sure the people playing will be pissed if the world does not change for the x amount of time the show is off air.

Kalbuir
07-03-2012, 01:32 PM
im pretty sure the people playing will be pissed if the world does not change for the x amount of time the show is off air.

Hmm I don't think the world will change be affected as much as you think. Don't get me wrong I hope so but I think we are more talking about references, tie-ins and every so often a main plot just before an update. That would be my guess at least.

Arkamenitas
07-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Hmm I don't think the world will change be affected as much as you think. Don't get me wrong I hope so but I think we are more talking about references, tie-ins and every so often a main plot just before an update. That would be my guess at least.

this is about what i expect as well.

inkgerm
07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
I agree with everything you guys are saying but, dont forget this is linked with a game. They havent officially said it but it will be a pay to play game about 15 dollars a month, and Im sure some of that money would go to the production of the show, considering the show and game have been in production for years. I could be wrong but I hope Im not cause Im excited for both to come out.

Escyos
07-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I agree with everything you guys are saying but, dont forget this is linked with a game. They havent officially said it but it will be a pay to play game about 15 dollars a month, and Im sure some of that money would go to the production of the show, considering the show and game have been in production for years. I could be wrong but I hope Im not cause Im excited for both to come out.

Well if it is pay to play, none of that money would go towards the tv show. Production companies get money from television channels who get their money from advertisers who pay to put adds in between the shows.

Quizzical Harpy
07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
I hope they also take into account EU/international ratings as well. If they decide to bring the show over the pond!

We know the game has a European community so it would be disappointing if it didn't come over here.

Kalbuir
07-16-2012, 08:08 PM
I hope they also take into account EU/international ratings as well. If they decide to bring the show over the pond!

We know the game has a European community so it would be disappointing if it didn't come over here.

EU TV market isnt as driven by TV numbers as the USA one though, I am pretty sure the show will come to Europe. If I take my country NL as an example we have access to almost all the current seasons of the shows on Syfy atm directly through the syfy NL channel. Additionally shows like HBO and FX are also coming over and new shows like the news room also air at almost the same time.

So I am not too worried about that at least in my case, although I might need to pay a cable provider a few extra bucks to actually get the channel. But as far as ratings goes I think USA will be the leading factor, however if its a big hit in EU I am sure that will carry some weight. Overall though I think the show will do equally well regardless of the region however for USA it will mostly depend what timeslot Defiance will get.

For example if it would get the friday or saterday night primetime slot it could need to compete with big shows like walking dead, falling skies or games of throne (depending on the schedule and season, assuming it goes live in April simultaneously with the game).

Now personally I would hate Defiance to be on during Walking Dead or Games of Throne as a lot of the "geek / syfy" crowd is already committed to those two shows and it would be a mistake to want to compete with established shows on the same time slot. At least that's what I think...

Kalbuir
07-18-2012, 11:07 AM
So after watching the ComicCon panel I am a little bit relieved so see that TRION does acknowledge the fact that the game might outlive the TV show. I was also happy to hear that Syfy seems to take Defiance really serious and see it as one (or maybe the) biggest show they have ever done.

This all takes away quite a bit of concern for the future of defiance. :)

Arkamenitas
07-22-2012, 12:44 PM
So after watching the ComicCon panel I am a little bit relieved so see that TRION does acknowledge the fact that the game might outlive the TV show. I was also happy to hear that Syfy seems to take Defiance really serious and see it as one (or maybe the) biggest show they have ever done.

This all takes away quite a bit of concern for the future of defiance. :)

yeah, that does clear things up a bit

Jenbuu
07-22-2012, 02:19 PM
aye its good to see that they know the life spans of the show and games will differ,

being from the uk were always getting things behind the us so all the rating differ

but it seems from what i can see the likes of falling skies is doing well, and i h ope that defiance will do the same. really want it to do well :) heh

Aaronjin
07-31-2012, 01:12 PM
i have neve seen about 90% of the shows everyone is talking abuot here; hopefully defiance is presented in a "noob friendly" enough way to bring in the numbers

Kalbuir
08-01-2012, 05:11 AM
i have neve seen about 90% of the shows everyone is talking abuot here; hopefully defiance is presented in a "noob friendly" enough way to bring in the numbers

Personally I think that's the wrong approach, there has to be some story involved. Maybe I misunderstand the "noob friendly" you talk about but a procedurals where you can skip a few weeks and jump in it again as viewer or miss a season and jump in again and expect to understand everything seems like setting the TV show up to failure.

I do agree that the TV show shouldn't be so complex that you need to play the game to understand the TV show but it's already been said that this will not be the case. Instead you just get access to tidbits of lore and references in terms of story and universe. (this is besides the impact both sides have on big events / crossovers ofcourse)