PDA

View Full Version : The main story quest...am I geared right?

The Dr
06-24-2013, 04:45 AM
I talked about this the other day. Today, I did one main story quest called "Thanks for visiting".
It pays: 2000xp, 200 scrip, and a mod. I was faced with Dark Matter's, and it was a disaster. I got through it in about 12min or so, with 3-4 deaths. I was kiting the Dark Matter around cover, but if I pulled a second Dark Matter, it's lights out for me. I could have earn 12k xp (1000's weapons xp more too) in doing roadsides in the same time it took to do this quest.

Anyway, am I geared wrong?

Ego:1100
Survivalist
Primary wep: Frontier SAW (level 11)
Secondary wep: VBI GL-1 Ground Pounder (level 5) - Didnt use that much in this quest.
Shield: Rebel II (cap: 1341, Recharge 10%, Delay 2.85 sec).

Am I geared ok, or do these quest suck? I would appreciate any tips or links.

X64
06-24-2013, 05:06 AM
There is no such thing as "kiting" dark matter because AI is intended to hit you as long as you're exposed to their line of sight, so always find cover. Another thing is that you don't go storm trooper (rush and hit em hard in the face) with a SAW. Just keep a decent distance and take them down 1 by 1, don't Rambo up.

Change to a Respark. it also has a 3 second delay but it has a 40% recharge rate. Rebel does not work very well, there is no value to a 10% recharge rate even if it's a 3 second delay.

Aim for the head, zoom in with your SAW. If they're crowding up on you, fall back and leave a candy trail of explosives from your ground pounder.

Mowazzy
06-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Switch your detonator for a solid sniper rifle. Take down the regular DM troops from distance with heads shots. Run in with SAW to clean up the leaders.
Good luck!

The Dr
06-24-2013, 05:49 AM
There is no such thing as "kiting" dark matter.....

Well they followed me when I broke los (line of sight)...I watched them on the map moving toward me and i was able to reload and (control the fight to a degree) hold them out of my sight till I was ready to fight again. Thats what i though kiting was.

Thanks for the tips though.

The Dr
06-24-2013, 07:32 AM
I just completed main story quest "Automation Allegiance", xp 2000.

The sniper rifle did help a lot at the start when i could pluck the Dark Matter's off one by one.

But when I had to defend the generator, and Dark Matter moving in from all directions I had to find cover on the side. Obviously the generator kept on stopping because I cannot hold off, at one point 23 Dark Matters were attacking it at once!!!

To start the generator, generally was suicide, but it need to be done or i'd still be there.
In Warcraft, a quest generally takes between 3 to 7 min to complete. You get the xp, rewards, and rarely die.
The quests in Defiance are too long, and if no one is around, and if there is a defend phase, it's die die die...lame (thats if you dont pull another group or have one spawn while trying to avoid the quest attackers too).

I personally have limited time to game each day, and when i get my one pleasure in life, I want to have fun and progress.
In my opinion questing is low xp and mostly useless rewards (the story is great, but xp/progression per shot is poor) in Defiance.
The quest reward xp is no guide on the time/difficulty of a quest, and once you start a quest, you are committed to complete it, even if you did not budget enough time.

Time is to precious to waste on questing, in my opinion roadsides and Arkfalls are the go.

CMac001
06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
I agree with the suggestions to switch to a respark and I primarily use the bolt-action sniper rifle with an assault rifle as a backup. Additionally, I use a flash type grenade to stun them for 5 seconds (enough time to recharge shields).

You may want to review your ego load out. For dark matter, I use cloak with a primarily defensive load out: thick skinned, regeneration and execution. The first two are self-explanatory. With execution you can get 15% shield recharge from a head-shot kill. I augment that with shadowed strike for the 30% increase in cloaked damage.

Tactics: I agree that the events spawn a lot of opponents that aggro on you. I sometimes find it difficult to continuously protect objectives and not die. I have found that you can still complete the event if you draw the opponents away and eliminate them, then return to re-enable it. It would be better if the event spawned opponents based on how many ark hunters were engaged instead of one size fits all.

Good luck

misterwr0ng
06-24-2013, 09:01 PM
have to agree with a lot of whats been said. i tend to use a bolt action sniper and an assault carbine with a +1.5 mag mod, or heavy assault carbine with a 3 round burst mag mod. if there is a bulwark with them it will come get you. shoot the rocket pods with the sniper it will go down in 2-3 shots to recover (dependent on what rifle you are using). then kill it with the secondary using the overcharge power

i use a flashcharge grenade when i have to reload as it keeps them from attacking. and if you have to go in close keep moving LOTS. good luck

Mowazzy
06-24-2013, 09:46 PM
You could also switch it uP and go cloak + sawed off x 2. Is a lot of fun if you use all the Ego + reload and kill perks. Try find two with Outlaw, 5% dmg last shot in clip.

Defenze
06-25-2013, 01:58 AM
When I'm in Frisco and going against DM I always double check my perks to make sure I have ones that give me more critical damage increases. I set my shield on Respark Reloader IV as I always like to have my stored weapon getting ammo, while I fire my AR. Don't mean to high jack the thread, but I have noticed as I go up against these diffiirent factions, Raiders, 99ers, Mutants, DM and others, that each has a different AI working them. But for the most part if your alone, they divide on you and force you to take cover. DM is really good at this. If you will notice almost all of the conflicts with DM happen out in the open where there is little cover. The road side hijackings and the other action areas are almost always situated where you make an approach from an open area with little or no cover. This forces you to run towards their camp site or their vehicles to gain cover. Concealment is a joke. They know where you are and wait for you to move. Granted they may not move much, but then again they don't have to. Wherever you are, if there are crates or vehicles thats all the cover you have. One DM moves to the right and fires the other moves to the left and fires. And god forbid if there's a Bulwark. He just moves right up on your front flank firing away. It's great fun, but man you better have some kick @$$ weapons, modded and with some synergy effects or it's gonna be a long day in Defiance land for you.

BlackR3ap3r
06-25-2013, 02:17 AM
once you get used to dark matter they shouldnt be much of an issue......i did my first play through with a SAW and either a wolfhound/wolverine or a combat shottie with only using overcharge and pyro nades.....but if your really having issues with dark matter try using a respark, maxed out decoy and a powerfull full auto AR, and use the pooboots nades(so you take less damage from the booted targets and deal with the dark matter sheilded units)

Satsuki
06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Missions with enemy swarms are really built to be taken on as a group, not solo. Frankly I wish the entire campaign was allowed to grouping. The first time I did the mission you mentioned, with the generator, I died at least ten times. But later on, I helped a friend do it, with some others, a group of four- we demolished them. Nobody died once and the generator never stopped. They didnt get near it.

godinurpants
06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
So u know i am level 2200 and still have level 600 weapons that are better than most new ones i get. The best thing you can do is read the stats on your weapons find a good one and upgrade it.