PDA

View Full Version : x-box and pc players cant play toghether?

Azzstomper
06-24-2013, 01:42 PM
I thought this game is cross platform?

PlagueSD
06-24-2013, 01:53 PM
It is cross-platform...as in you can play it on multiple platforms (PC, Xbox, PS3). It's NOT cross-server though. Each platform is on it's own server.

Murzin
06-24-2013, 01:59 PM
the only problem in this game with being fully cross-platform is pvp.

what they could do is let consoles + pc play together in the world, but PvP would be platform instanced

that would create a problem with the consoles and patching/versions though.

and trion probably does not want to have to pay for all the console fees for patching and do fewer larger updates so as to save money.

so everything plays on their own groups.

Zemenar
06-24-2013, 02:55 PM
....what they could do is let consoles + pc play together in the world....

Nope. It wouldnt be "too much" of a challenge to link the PS3 / 360 / PC games together, in fact Trion in an ancient interview of Defiance said they could do as much. The problem lies with the fact that PSN and Xbox Live hosted servers are (rightly) controlled by Sony and Microsoft, its up to those two to allow shared worlds.

IIRC (and I prolly dont), Sony was willing to allow it but Microsoft didnt want to (they had some admitedly understandable objections but it was still just a legal BS way of saying "we dont play well with rivals"), the massive negative feedback could write itself if Trion had released a Sony+PC world and a Xbox world so we've got all 3 and their region locks :/ Oh, and the whole console/pc flame wars in chat :rolleyes:

aspidistra
07-16-2013, 02:53 PM
It is cross-platform...as in you can play it on multiple platforms (PC, Xbox, PS3). It's NOT cross-server though. Each platform is on it's own server.

please learn the lingo cross-latform play means that people on all platforms can play on the same server not just that all game platforms can run the game

squidgod2000
07-16-2013, 03:00 PM

That's multi-platform.

Cross-platform means the different platforms can play together.

CptBadger
07-16-2013, 03:06 PM
I thought this game is cross platform?

Blame Microsoft (and perhabs Sony too). :|

/thread

Sliverbaer
07-16-2013, 03:10 PM
please learn the lingo cross-latform play means that people on all platforms can play on the same server not just that all game platforms can run the game

No, not really. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-platform

Cross-Server or Cross-Realm (CRZ) is what you are looking for.

We knew the game was not going to be cross-server since beta/alpha. Try searching the forums :-)

Indra Echo
07-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Nope. It wouldnt be "too much" of a challenge to link the PS3 / 360 / PC games together, in fact Trion in an ancient interview of Defiance said they could do as much. The problem lies with the fact that PSN and Xbox Live hosted servers are (rightly) controlled by Sony and Microsoft, its up to those two to allow shared worlds.

IIRC (and I prolly dont), Sony was willing to allow it but Microsoft didnt want to (they had some admitedly understandable objections but it was still just a legal BS way of saying "we dont play well with rivals"), the massive negative feedback could write itself if Trion had released a Sony+PC world and a Xbox world so we've got all 3 and their region locks :/ Oh, and the whole console/pc flame wars in chat :rolleyes:

I think it's kind of obvious with what may well happen in the future. Sony seems amenable to allowing cross server play with the PS4 and PC.

I don't want to start a war about all this but I don't think Sony has quite the slash and burn policy that MS has. Sony seems to accept the reality that there will be other consoles and they don't seem bent on killing the xbox or MS or the Wii U and Nintendo or whatever platform comes along. I'm very interested to see how this plays out because my brother likes to play games on the PC and if it's more likely we can play together if I get a PS4, then sold!

KTCAOP
07-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Just curious, but are there any true cross-platform (or whatever =P) games out there? I'm struggling to think of one.

hardy83
07-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Apparently it's MS's fault, and Trions decision that they don't want people playing with a controller to feel at a disadvantage when playing against KB+M players.

Sony seems okay with it because FFXIV is cross-play with PS3 and PC versions.