PDA

View Full Version : you know what really grinds my gears?

Upinya Slayin
06-25-2013, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHtRnOXXZ0w

so here is my defiance version

1) the game is called defiance, named after a town in the show, yet none of it takes place in defiance. it would be like if true crime new york city took place in los Angeles. what gives?

2) lack of communication between trion and the people on the forums

3) the social features don't work all the time. its an MMO. especially for people on PS3 with no party chat system, they can't even talk to their friends as they rely on game chat

4) DLC was kinda announced at E3 with a late july date. and thats all we got? season pass still isn't very specific

5) they don't balance PvP and worse off they can't seperate the PvP from the PvE sides.

Era
06-25-2013, 05:59 PM
You know what really grinds my gears? Hellbug limbs caught in my Challenger's engine.

Reapros
06-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Knowing that those actually were the droids you were looking for?

Epyon
06-25-2013, 06:09 PM

1) the game is called defiance, named after a town in the show, yet none of it takes place in defiance. it would be like if true crime new york city took place in los Angeles. what gives?

3) the social features don't work all the time. its an MMO. especially for people on PS3 with no party chat system, they can't even talk to their friends as they rely on game chat

4) DLC was kinda announced at E3 with a late july date. and thats all we got? season pass still isn't very specific

5) they don't balance PvP and worse off they can't seperate the PvP from the PvE sides.

1)We playing the same game? Cause the town got its name from the same place the game did. The Battle of Defiance.
2)The people on the forums are mostly the very negative "vocal minority" I wouldnt listen to them either.
3)Theyve been trying to fix it but I'll admit you're right, for an MMO its not social enough.
4)Are any season passes specific? No.
5)Most games have horrendously unbalanced PvP, the biggest MMOs and triple A games included. You expect too much.

Know what grinds MY gears? Having to read QQ threads and trying to piece together what kind of logic, brain process or lack of, put it together.

dominad
06-25-2013, 06:12 PM
What grinds my gears - they just broke a game I paid full price for and unlike every other new release game I brought at release that I still have this one is not worth anything second hand. No one wants to buy them.

dwej1973
06-25-2013, 06:14 PM
You know what really grinds my gears? Hellbug limbs caught in my Challenger's engine.

like.......

Sanguinesun
06-25-2013, 06:38 PM

1. Show and game are named for The Battle of Fort Defiance. If you'd cleared the main story missions of the game, you'd know this in better detail as well. That's why Nolan and a few others are called the Defiant Few: they fought in said battle and are considered "heroes".

2. Standard operating procedure. However, if you're wise to this trans-media project's deal, you'll know you can communicate with reps of the game by other means than the forums. Forums are (even in alpha) thin in these regards.

3. Complained about and answered a zillion times. They say they're going to roll out a better UI for the social aspects of the game but are ambiguous about when and how it is going to be. They in recent weeks have been heavily backtracking off the mmo definitions and trying to emphasize more it as a "persistent world shooter". In other words it means its got a few massive multiplayer online features but everything else is nothing akin to AAA mmo's.

4. Dont hold your breath on the first dlc of the season's pass coming out in July. The betting pool is that they'll delay it(like all else to now). This especially seems likely since by next month they'll be working with less members on the team as the 60 day layoff notice of team members deadline will have come and gone. So yes basically that info is all you got.

5. Also another heavily complained and answered on point. Nothing is balanced properly in the game, wasnt in alpha testing and still isnt now.

Littleweasel
06-25-2013, 06:38 PM
1)We playing the same game? Cause the town got its name from the same place the game did. The Battle of Defiance.
2)The people on the forums are mostly the very negative "vocal minority" I wouldnt listen to them either.
3)Theyve been trying to fix it but I'll admit you're right, for an MMO its not social enough.
5)Most games have horrendously unbalanced PvP, the biggest MMOs and triple A games included. You expect too much.

Know what grinds MY gears? Having to read QQ threads and trying to piece together what kind of logic, brain process or lack of, put it together.

1) apparently you are not playing the same game as us since they game takes place in San Fransisco and the tv show takes place in defiance (old St. Louis), 2 totally different places.

2) agree allot of the people are just complainers that are being very negative, but trion should still answer questions that allot of people have been asking for awhile that are not negative.

3) i agree with your statement here

4) not all season passes for games are specific but they do at least talk about them rather than what trion does by ignoring question about them, or at the very least they should give a time table as to when people can expect the dlc's.

5) i don't think you actually even read the OP's point they said they don't seperate the pvp from the pve which i will have to agree with. every time they try and balance the pvp they screw up the pve by nerfing weapons to try and balance the pvp. when in reallity the only way they can balance the pvp without screwing up the pve even further is by not allowing ego powers and making everyong use default weapons which of course they can choose which weapons they want to use, but not allow them to place any mods in the weapons.

JxSiN
06-25-2013, 06:56 PM

1) Yes, St. Louis was renamed Defiance, after the Battle of Defiance, which took place in San Francisco (and probably why SF looks obliterated). So, there's the connection there.

2) I completely agree. I believe a lot of issues people have on these forums could be quelled with a little more (or sometimes any) communication from Trion and the devs. Although Myll Erik has seemed to be a little more active (asking our opinions on worst guns, and stating in a thread that more outfits are coming down the pipes).

3) They aren't going to fix the current social system because they are rolling out a completely new one sometime in the (hopefully near) future. At least as far as chat and text are concerned. I'd rather them focus all their attention on the new one and have it come out great, than split attention by working on the one that's about to be scrapped anyway.

4) Yeah, that's all we got :( 5 DLCs are suppose to launch between now and season 2. No dates have been officially announced, so until then, we aren't even sure it is coming out in July. I'm being optimistic, so I'm hoping to see the DLC between mid-late July. However, it may not exactly be on Trion's part for not having a date yet. They still have to clear things and get certs from Sony and Micro$oft.

5) PVP is greatly inbalanced, and isn't a matter of skill but a matter of who has the better rolled and modded infector. I maybe do pvp once a week and that's only because my clanmates ask me to. I wouldn't queue up for it on my own

Maybe not the answers you were seeking, but I hope I helped a little.

Epyon
06-25-2013, 07:04 PM
1) apparently you are not playing the same game as us since they game takes place in San Fransisco and the tv show takes place in defiance (old St. Louis), 2 totally different places.

2) agree allot of the people are just complainers that are being very negative, but trion should still answer questions that allot of people have been asking for awhile that are not negative.

3) i agree with your statement here

4) not all season passes for games are specific but they do at least talk about them rather than what trion does by ignoring question about them, or at the very least they should give a time table as to when people can expect the dlc's.

5) i don't think you actually even read the OP's point they said they don't seperate the pvp from the pve which i will have to agree with. every time they try and balance the pvp they screw up the pve by nerfing weapons to try and balance the pvp. when in reallity the only way they can balance the pvp without screwing up the pve even further is by not allowing ego powers and making everyong use default weapons which of course they can choose which weapons they want to use, but not allow them to place any mods in the weapons.

1)Again, we playing the same game? or even watching the same show? The town was named after the Battle of Defiance IN San Francisco, they said it on the FIRST episode. The theme that stemmed from that battle, cooperation and coexistence of the races is the theme of the show and game. Thus the game is also called Defiance. That might be why theres a member of the defiant few in both the game and show huh?

2)They do, even if slowly they fix the bugs people complain about in the forums such as the shield glitch. I agree that they should be more vocal, but does any other game company come down to answer every question thats asked of them?

4)They already told us whats included in the 1st DLC ages ago, only thing left is the date, which again no season pass gives. Lately theyre even showing us screenshots and videos, in E3 as well as in ATB.

5) I dont think theres a need to separate the modes and stand by my point.

Littleweasel
06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
1)Again, we playing the same game? or even watching the same show? The town was named after the Battle of Defiance IN San Francisco, they said it on the FIRST episode. The theme that stemmed from that battle, cooperation and coexistence of the races is the theme of the show and game. Thus the game is also called Defiance. That might be why theres a member of the defiant few in both the game and show huh?

2)They do, even if slowly they fix the bugs people complain about in the forums such as the shield glitch. I agree that they should be more vocal, but does any other game company come down to answer every question thats asked of them?

4)They already told us whats included in the 1st DLC ages ago, only thing left is the date, which again no season pass gives. Lately theyre even showing us screenshots and videos, in E3 as well as in ATB.

5) I dont think theres a need to separate the modes and stand by my point.

yes the town of defiance was named after the battle of defiance, but the town is in st.louis which is 1000+ miles away from san fransisco. you better rewatch any episode of the tv show since the st.louis arch is in the middle of the dam town. what do you think they did moved the arch from st.louis to san fransisco after the battle or something?

Epyon
06-25-2013, 08:04 PM
yes the town of defiance was named after the battle of defiance, but the town is in st.louis which is 1000+ miles away from san fransisco. you better rewatch any episode of the tv show since the st.louis arch is in the middle of the dam town. what do you think they did moved the arch from st.louis to san fransisco after the battle or something?

They never said they were in the same place, theyve said it again and again, that theyre in the same world but in different places. Each place has their own setting in order to act without interfering with the other unless they want them to.

Wtflag
06-25-2013, 08:11 PM
I would like to inject that finding and getting a good weapon in PVE and then be able to use it in PVP is the great draw for me for this game. This is in fact the only game in current memory that is designed for this from the get go.

In every other game, either it is impossible for a low level to beat a max level character because there is zero PVP balance like in Diablo 3. A good tanker barbarian can possibly out-regenerate the attacks of a weaker player so he can afk and not lose, or a high level Demon Hunter can OHKO random noobies while in their invincible bubble mode. It is pretty much 90% gear and 9% luck and 1% skill.

Or it is totally balanced with pvp gear like in Guildwars 2. And also totally boring. You can already beat the whole defiance PVE game with white items. Why even try to get epic/legendary weapons and fully mod them out if you can't use it in PVP? Beat Nim for the tenth time a minute faster?

No. PVP and PVE integration is very much the design principle of the game. It is the very foundation, which can be seen easily with the way loot scales and how perks are all mostly situational (being that a skilled player can make better use of a situational skill than a novice can) instead of just stats boosting as is with most other MMORPGs. So stop trying to turn the game into the same boring shtako as every other MMO clone you have played before.

dominad
06-25-2013, 08:14 PM
^^ then they really should fix pvp !!

Wtflag
06-25-2013, 08:22 PM
^^ then they really should fix pvp !!

This I can agree on. Fixing PVP exploits would go a long way towards helping the state of PVP and the game in general. Getting killed by a good opponent is one thing, getting killed by cheaters is another.

Epyon
06-25-2013, 08:26 PM
I would like to inject that finding and getting a good weapon in PVE and then be able to use it in PVP is the great draw for me for this game. This is in fact the only game in current memory that is designed for this from the get go.

In every other game, either it is impossible for a low level to beat a max level character because there is zero PVP balance like in Diablo 3. A good tanker barbarian can possibly out-regenerate the attacks of a weaker player so he can afk and not lose, or a high level Demon Hunter can OHKO random noobies while in their invincible bubble mode. It is pretty much 90% gear and 9% luck and 1% skill.

Or it is totally balanced with pvp gear like in Guildwars 2. And also totally boring. You can already beat the whole defiance PVE game with white items. Why even try to get epic/legendary weapons and fully mod them out if you can't use it in PVP? Beat Nim for the tenth time a minute faster?

No. PVP and PVE integration is the design principle of the game. It's very foundation which can be seen easily with the way loot scales and how perks are all mostly situational (being that a skilled player can make better use of a situational skill than a novice can) instead of just stats boosting as with most other MMORPGs. So stop trying to turn the game into the same boring shtako as every other MMO clone you have played before.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, wanted to say something similar about the integration but the words evaded me. So +9000 for expressing what I could not :P

Kard
06-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Battle of Defiance took place at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, a place the refugees camping there had renamed Fort Defiance. That's where the name came from.

The events of the battle sparked a social movement that happened on a global, inter-species scale, this movement was also named after the battle, the "Defiance movement" or "Spirit of Defiance."

New St. Louis was renamed Defiance after both the battle (which took place in SF) and the movement, which again, was a huge, worldwide deal.

The name of the game/show references all three of these things.

Lern2intel

shotgunEX
06-25-2013, 10:04 PM

I'd appreciate if you didn't make up facts about PVP's balancing.
This game does have crappy balance in PVP. But that's just this game. I'm certain it's not "most".
This isn't a AAA title, IMO.
Plus, season passes usually tell you about the DLC before its released.
Ex: borderlands 2.
Like I said, quit making up 'facts' im starting to think you lack necessary brain cells.

Blondin
06-26-2013, 02:35 AM

No. PVP and PVE integration is very much the design principle of the game. It is the very foundation, which can be seen easily with the way loot scales and how perks are all mostly situational (being that a skilled player can make better use of a situational skill than a novice can) instead of just stats boosting as is with most other MMORPGs. So stop trying to turn the game into the same boring shtako as every other MMO clone you have played before.
+1 Agreed, half of the whine and rant on this forum are because ppl want the same MMO clone, and this is why I bought this game because it's not a MMO clone!!

Surgeon General
06-26-2013, 02:45 AM

Spoken like a real intelligent individual whos mind thinks beyond the proverbial box, instead of some whinny uneducated chump who wants every game to be like Call Of Duty or Halo, +1 from me all day man :)

dominad
06-26-2013, 03:27 AM
This I can agree on. Fixing PVP exploits would go a long way towards helping the state of PVP and the game in general. Getting killed by a good opponent is one thing, getting killed by cheaters is another.

No just as in fix it if the poster is correct in that Trion designed the PVP to be an integral part of the game and groundbreaking. Then having the PVP in total chaos and not functioning is not a healthy reflection of the game itself. If that is the key component and it is not working how much can one admire it.

Radz
06-26-2013, 07:10 AM
+1 Agreed, half of the whine and rant on this forum are because ppl want the same MMO clone, and this is why I bought this game because it's not a MMO clone!!
Agreed. I have a co-worker who plays as well, but all he does is complain about how it's not more MMO-like. He wants to see damage numbers, weapons stats, and wants to level up. I get so tired of hearing it because I love the progression. It's more about your skill than any arbitrary points you get.

The weapons have a small spread in terms of sheer damage, but for me it's more about how the weapon handles. I like a good, ol' fashioned, lead firing AR that I can fire at almost pinpoint accuracy rather than a Votan Blaster that may do more damage, but has a very large (relative) spread and a much smaller magazine.

I enjoy it because despite the fact that he's finished the storyline and I haven't (I don't get to play a lot), I can still hold my own with him and can even outperform him at times. Levels the playing field in PvE I feel.

Epyon
06-26-2013, 08:34 AM
I'd appreciate if you didn't make up facts about PVP's balancing.
This game does have crappy balance in PVP. But that's just this game. I'm certain it's not "most".
This isn't a AAA title, IMO.
Plus, season passes usually tell you about the DLC before its released.
Ex: borderlands 2.
Like I said, quit making up 'facts' im starting to think you lack necessary brain cells.

The one that seems to be lacking is you.
You ever play WoW, or any other MMOs PvP? completely unbalanced.
I never said this games AAA, it isnt, but people have expectations for it that are higher than what AAA games meet.
Borderlands 2 never said anything about the content, it gave us the same info, just the number of DLCS, the information came later and only one at a time once that particular DLC was close. We already received the information on the contents of the 1st DLC a long time ago, just the date is missing, which as I mentioned even your precious borderlands 2 didnt specify until it was close. Yeah, I play that game too.

I dont make up facts.

Korben Reynolds
06-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Battle of Defiance took place at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, a place the refugees camping there had renamed Fort Defiance. That's where the name came from.

The events of the battle sparked a social movement that happened on a global, inter-species scale, this movement was also named after the battle, the "Defiance movement" or "Spirit of Defiance."

New St. Louis was renamed Defiance after both the battle (which took place in SF) and the movement, which again, was a huge, worldwide deal.

The name of the game/show references all three of these things.

There's also a bit of a joke in the pilot about how "every damn thing was named for that battle".

N3gativeCr33p
06-26-2013, 09:25 AM
There's also a bit of a joke in the pilot about how "every damn thing was named for that battle".

Good point... I almost forgot about that.

Bar0n_5am3d1
06-26-2013, 09:47 AM

1) If you had seen the show you would know that Defiance (and the Defiance of the show is just one of many other towns called Defiance) was named after the Defiant Few who carried out an act of defiance in? You guessed it San Francisco. So the game is based in the birth place of Defiance.

2) That is nothing new with any gaming company. They are very limited because players have a tendency to blow things out of proportion.

3) I play on the PC so I don't know.

4) Season pass is basically 10% off of the 5 DLC's that should come out before season 2 of Defiance

5) I have yet to play an MMO that was capable of balancing PVP and PVE

Upinya Slayin
06-26-2013, 10:11 AM
1) If you had seen the show you would know that Defiance (and the Defiance of the show is just one of many other towns called Defiance) was named after the Defiant Few who carried out an act of defiance in? You guessed it San Francisco. So the game is based in the birth place of Defiance.

2) That is nothing new with any gaming company. They are very limited because players have a tendency to blow things out of proportion.

3) I play on the PC so I don't know.

4) Season pass is basically 10% off of the 5 DLC's that should come out before season 2 of Defiance

5) I have yet to play an MMO that was capable of balancing PVP and PVE

1) i actually do watch the show. i mean its not great but its not bad either. this was more of a joke to lead off which is why i put the family guy clip in there. now onto the actual issues

2) i agree people blow things out of proportion and are stupid, but with that said trion has by far the worst communicaitions i've seen. and this includes BW and ME3, Ubisoft and AC3, Epic and GoW Judgement, gearbox and BL2. Trion is by far the worst and not really doing anything much to let the fans know what is going on. it is concerning to me.

3) i'm sure you have the same issue. the one where your friends list and clan list disappear and you can't play with friends and the in-game chat dies? i could be wrong cause i never play on PC

4) you mean 10$ off? its 5 DLCs each costing 10$ if brought separate but yo get them for 40$ total which is a 20% savings. But the thing is when it was marketed it was said that it was for DLC, then we find out eveyrone gets the DLC and its really just a premium content pass. and they don't specify what the future ones is. liek BL2 for instance i knew exactly what i was getting and they kept in contact. for trion i spoent 40 bucks on a pass 2 months ago and haven't heard anything really on it

5) i don't really play MMOs TBH. not my kinds of games most of the time. SO the only reference i have is games like AC3, Halo, GoW Judgement,

Dixa
06-26-2013, 11:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQbmpwtEFLU