PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Damage...

JerZey CJ
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Why is it so low? The only shotguns I've seen that have had shotgun level damage are the slug type that only fire a single shot, but still have the big shotgun blast reticule. Pump action ones really need to do more damage, these should be doing around what the slug is doing, instead I see them doing less than 200, with lower RoF and smaller mags than combat shotguns. The only shotguns type that seems to have been done right are the sawed offs, doing high damage at very close range(though their reload could be shorter)

Ensu
03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
The damage on a shotgun is usually shown as 168x12 which is 2016. A bolt action sniper rifle does something like 1269.

Warspawn
03-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Range falls off quickly for a shotgun; shooting past more than a few yards really spreads the pattern out and many of the pellets will miss. Aiming seems to reduce the spread as opposed to hip-shooting; the perk 'Gunslinger' adds damage to your hipshots, as well.

At one point I was playing with two different types of shotguns; one had a single damage number, and the description indicated that it shot larger projectiles (864 dmg with electrical elemental effect). The other had a larger reticule with 90x12 dmg with a fire dot; worked great in their face, but was ineffective past a couple of paces range...

JerZey CJ
03-25-2013, 11:27 AM
The damage on a shotgun is usually shown as 168x12 which is 2016. A bolt action sniper rifle does something like 1269.

Any shotgun I've looked at hasn't show a "#x12" it has just shown a base number(with the exception of shotguns that fire in bursts, ie. sawed offs show 1200x2 and a three burst combat shotguns shows 156x3). Is the pellet count somewhere else on the card? that's probably what's throwing me off, I was just thinking before that it was weird that the shotguns didn't have a x bonus.

Warspawn
03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
The "x12" "x8" refers to the max number of pellets and each individual pellet's potential damage. I had one shotgun that fired a single round so no "x", and one that had a spray pattern that was "x12", meaning up to twelve pellets could hit at close range...

Radz
03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm a shotgunner, and you definitely have to get in their face to really do the damage. I typically rush them and aim for the head because that usually throws them off balance and I can just unload a couple shells into them to finish them off. Blasting Hellbug skitterlings is awesome though. Generally liquifies them at close range.

mcwjimbo
03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
shotguns/ scatterguns from what i saw had the largest targeting area (best guns for someone new to a shooter) thus easier to use and too much "more damage" would be unbalanced vs people with smaller targeting areas

AmishWarMachine
03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Where shotguns need a tweak, in my experience and IMO, is they need higher critical values.

Example: Revolting Hellbug Arkfalls. When shooting the weak spots on the crystal, I can do FAR more DPS close-range with a handgun (5+ mult) than I can any shotgun I've ever seen (1.2-1.5 mult). Just seems wrong, again, IMO.

KodiakX
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Had a guy running around in Shadow Wars with a VOT auto shotty that did 3 huge shots every trigger pull insta gibbing people while zooming around with Cloak.

kirix
03-25-2013, 12:33 PM
i like using the burst mode shotguns.

friggin isnane, a combat shotgun that fires 3x in burst is very powerfull in close range. much faster rate of fire then a non burst shotgun (DUH) and really hurts upclose (which is what they are made for)

use a medium range weapon untill they or you are right next to them (cloak any 1)

Ensu
03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Where shotguns need a tweak, in my experience and IMO, is they need higher critical values.

Example: Revolting Hellbug Arkfalls. When shooting the weak spots on the crystal, I can do FAR more DPS close-range with a handgun (5+ mult) than I can any shotgun I've ever seen (1.2-1.5 mult). Just seems wrong, again, IMO.

What were these 5+ crit multiplier pistols that people keep talking about? Highest I ever saw was 2.9, I think.