PDA

View Full Version : Setup of Joystick or other game controller for PC Defiance?

Highlander58
06-26-2013, 03:37 PM
:confused: So can you not set up a joystick or other game controller on the PC version of Defiance? :mad: We really need to be able to use a joystick or another game controller on the PC version of Defiance!!! :mad: I have not found a thread on how to enable and / or set one up in the game? :confused: I cannot drive worth stucco(?) :mad: by the keyboard and why should I when I have a nice Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick or Logitech Extreme Wingman controller that I can use? ;) Every other PC game you can use both a combination of keyboard and game controller together, so how do I set it up for Defiance? :confused:

twitch reflex
06-26-2013, 05:08 PM
use xpadder or some other third party program

xxDarthBagginsXX
06-26-2013, 05:29 PM
I use a Razer Onza controller to play, works great!

ironcladtrash
06-26-2013, 06:55 PM
I use a Xbox 360 controller and it just works. Nothing to set up really and the game even changes all the menus and instructions to match the controller buttons.

Opus
06-26-2013, 09:29 PM
I use a keyboard and mouse for combat, and have an XBox controller (Afterglow) also plugged in for driving. I keep the controller in my lap while playing so I can quickly access it when switching between the two.

angryglock
06-26-2013, 11:24 PM
A wired xbox controller works perfectly. You need to turn it on for use in menus (in the mouse settings section) if you want the controller buttons shown in the UI.

Mysfit
06-27-2013, 02:05 AM
I have a logitec g300. that in my left hand and an xbox 360 in my right hand rocks.

3rdpig
06-27-2013, 05:29 PM
I use a Razer Nostromo in my left hand and either a Cyborg Rat 7 MMO mouse or a Logitech G600 mouse in the right.

Muffins
06-27-2013, 05:33 PM
I used a regular Xbox 360 Controller, and my friend has a Razer Onza that works with Defiance.
If you're using a 360 controller ensure that you have the driver installed, I disabled mine through task manager then wondered why it wasn't working lol.

Whippersnapper
06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
So the pc version will support a controller?

Anyone know of a good cheapy controller? I will get one for Defiance if its -$40. I won't spend a bundle.

Ive never used controllers on pc games. I tried once and the reaction/control time was slow :( Aside from that, the last time I used a controller was during my SNES days.

Nyako
06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
I us a Logitech F310 PS3 style controller. It was kind of a pain to set up until I realized that you need to tell the game that its in "X" mode not "D" mode on the back of the controller. And don't hit the mode button or it messes up the controls but still works. I prefer controller for driving around and the time trials. I'm still learning on how to use it for combat, some say its better for combat, but meh... Was nice in TERA, its a bit harder here to use it.

Nyako
06-27-2013, 06:21 PM

Anyone know of a good cheapy controller? I will get one for Defiance if its -$40. I won't spend a bundle.

Ive never used controllers on pc games. I tried once and the reaction/control time was slow :( Aside from that, the last time I used a controller was during my SNES days.

Yeah, Logitech F310 (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/f310-gamepad)

Wizx13
06-28-2013, 05:26 AM
Logitech F310 Controller works on pc, I used it in alpha :)

Valdai
06-28-2013, 06:11 AM
I personally use a Madcatz version of a wired Xbox360 controller without issue, while my wife uses a $25 Logitch duel stick somethingorother. ;)

In case the OP hasn't learned how to get a game pad to work, it goes like this..

Plug in your controller while logged into Defiance.
Go into the Settings menu with the F6 keyboard shortcut.
Select Controls.
Then ensure the Show Controller UI setting is set to ON. This will change your settings to show the gamepad mapping for the game.

https://support.trionworlds.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1362/~/using-a-gamepad-to-play-defiance

I believe you can also get to the settings menu prior to starting the game.

This was researched prior to me even purchasing DEFIANCE. Personally, I can not play this style with a KB/M and I give props to anyone who can!

Keeper Riff
06-28-2013, 06:52 AM
I have a nice Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick or Logitech Extreme Wingman controllerThey are DirectInput devices AFAIR, so you need some Xinput emulator fo them to work with Defiance, like x360ce (http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/)

Mojavemike
06-28-2013, 07:56 AM
:confused: So can you not set up a joystick or other game controller on the PC version of Defiance? :mad: We really need to be able to use a joystick or another game controller on the PC version of Defiance!!! :mad: I have not found a thread on how to enable and / or set one up in the game? :confused: I cannot drive worth stucco(?) :mad: by the keyboard and why should I when I have a nice Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick or Logitech Extreme Wingman controller that I can use? ;) Every other PC game you can use both a combination of keyboard and game controller together, so how do I set it up for Defiance? :confused:

I purchased an Xbox360...microsoft made it compatible for PC...just plugged it in and away we go...no messin'

Use 100% for driving...50/50 with mouse for combat...controller in left hand, mouse in right...works a treat for me.

Jinto
06-28-2013, 08:36 AM
I use MotioninJoy and my PS3 Controller to play with out the need to bind keys as my pc sees it as a 360 Controller. So if you got a PS3 is a free good controller to use for various PC games or you can buy a Wireless device for your pc and use your wireless 360 controller

GrfxGuru
06-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Another vote for using a Logitech game controller on the PC. It's the only way I play, ditched the mouse and keyboard a long way back for the game.

Nyako
06-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Another vote for using a Logitech game controller on the PC. It's the only way I play, ditched the mouse and keyboard a long way back for the game.

How did you figure out how to shoot accurately with the controller? I'm still having issues with that aspect. Any tips and advise would be appreciated.

PlagueSD
06-28-2013, 01:32 PM

If you have an Xbox 360, you already have a compatible controller. My friend uses the wireless controller on his laptop that he hooks up to my TV to play. The only thing you need is the wireless adapter ($12 from amazon - Xbox Wireless Adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Black-Windows/dp/B005F1ZUU4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1372451430&sr=8-12&keywords=xbox+wireless+adapter))

darkonrage
06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
is there a list of controllers that are compatible I bought a Steelseries 3GC and can't seem to figure it out

PlagueSD
06-28-2013, 09:07 PM
See my previous post... :)

Keeper Riff
06-29-2013, 03:13 AM
Or my one (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?98544-Setup-of-Joystick-or-other-game-controller-for-PC-Defiance&p=922028&viewfull=1#post922028). :)

Highlander58
07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys for all of your input! I am looking into the XBOX 360 controller and considering the wireless, but will do some more research!

Highlander58
07-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks I will keep it in mind for my joystick, but I went ahead and purchased a wireless XBOX 360 controller for windows!

Highlander58
07-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys for all of your input! I went ahead and purchased a wireless XBOX 360 controller for windows! I am just a plain machinist, crew cut blonde with yellow arm sleeve with nothing but the basics, but I am slowly learning how to get more. Recently trying to learn how to deal with the infected zombies and Volge Warrior's! If you see me feel free to check in or assist. LOL See you in the game!

Stoneshade
03-19-2017, 03:12 PM
I can confirm the Steel Series does not work. I have read all the posts and followed them. I also confirmed that the controller was working with third party software. After switching over to controller mode the GUI changes telling you what buttons to push - none of the buttons work.

xvincentinx
03-19-2017, 03:18 PM
I can confirm the Steel Series does not work. I have read all the posts and followed them. I also confirmed that the controller was working with third party software. After switching over to controller mode the GUI changes telling you what buttons to push - none of the buttons work.

Why is it so freaking hard to look at the god damn date before posting?

Stoneshade
03-19-2017, 04:51 PM
What does the date have to do with it? It has been 4 years and this problem is STILL not fixed!

That is the point of necro-ing this thread

You need to hate the developers, not the players.