PDA

View Full Version : Gonna have a Castithan wedding!

Escyos
06-27-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm going to convince my finacee (If I ever get one) to have a Castithan wedding complete with Telo, chanting and entirely in Castithan!

born2beagator
06-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Let us know how that goes. o_O

Muffins
06-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Is there even a dictionary for Castithan? I remember in Starfox Adventures on GameCube they actually had a dictionary for you to learn Dino...

X64
06-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Your first big fat geek wedding. (on a positive note)

Smitch
06-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Is there even a dictionary for Castithan? I remember in Starfox Adventures on GameCube they actually had a dictionary for you to learn Dino...

Working on it. Technically, we do have more words (actually, some I need to add in...I'll get on that) but don't know exactly what they mean, or what context they are. Grammar is slowly being unraveled as well.

http://www.language.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Castithan_Vocabulary

AmnesiaHaze
06-27-2013, 02:56 AM
i will have a klingon wedding

dominad
06-27-2013, 04:20 AM
Maybe one day I will see you on a reality tv show!
I am a gee but I would not want a wedding like that lol Good luck to you though I hope you find the girl or guy of your dreams and in games like this is a good place to start. I met 2 new gamer chicks since playing Defiance!

Mladenov
06-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Yeah good luck puting a bucket on someone's head :D

racs333
06-27-2013, 05:59 AM
and good luck finding someone to perform the ritual group coitus, as well as performing the rites nude, as is required of a castithan woman. if you have been listening to the bits and pieces, its a very open culture, I quite enjoy the way they keep making the homeworld culture so far from human norm.

Escyos
06-27-2013, 06:42 AM
and good luck finding someone to perform the ritual group coitus, as well as performing the rites nude, as is required of a castithan woman. if you have been listening to the bits and pieces, its a very open culture, I quite enjoy the way they keep making the homeworld culture so far from human norm.

Its not group coitus, it was more like publicly viewed coitus. and when was it ever said the female was nude?

Fancypants
06-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Good luck OP.

If you pull this off, you probably will be able to convince her to take communal baths with other people too.

http://www.defiance.com/en/series/sites/defiance/files/styles/gallery_viewer_image/public/s01_e0103_InsideDefiance_09_4.jpg

"C'mon in.. the water's fine..."

LurchUSA
06-27-2013, 07:30 AM
I'm going to convince my finacee (If I ever get one) to have a Castithan wedding

I hope you look good naked! :eek:

Escyos
06-27-2013, 07:54 AM
I hope you look good naked! :eek:

Where are people getting this naked thing from? The wedding was never said to be naked, for anyone.

Invader Nemesis
06-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Good luck OP.

If you pull this off, you probably will be able to convince her to take communal baths with other people too.

http://www.defiance.com/en/series/sites/defiance/files/styles/gallery_viewer_image/public/s01_e0103_InsideDefiance_09_4.jpg

"C'mon in.. the water's fine..."

Ugh...that face is just creepy! D: Also good luck with convincing your fiancee...

brandileigh
06-27-2013, 08:51 AM
If you're going to speak in Castithan you better try contacting the guy who invented, he responds to alot on tumblr.

http://dedalvs.tumblr.com/

Tilarium
06-27-2013, 09:33 AM
If you're going to speak in Castithan you better try contacting the guy who invented, he responds to alot on tumblr.

http://dedalvs.tumblr.com/

Was going to post that... well, not the link, cause I don't tumble... I don't even twitter. But yeah, Castithan is as real a language as Elvish (the Tolkien version) and Klingon.

As for me, I want a Betazoid wedding. Then I will get to see my new bridge naked at least once

Kibblehouse
06-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Well.... on the one hand yes, these are all made up languages and none are "real"

But.... Castithan is much more "real" than Klingon. Castithan was created but a linguist before filming began as a coherent language. Klingon was not. I believe the writers in the movies put up a few lines they needed that sounded "klingony" and after the fact the fanbase filled in the rest of the language on their own. And that was later adopred by the show writers (TNG) I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but that was my impression as I lived through that time period. Klingon may have risen to language status, but Casti started out there from square one.

I dont usually get in these geek arguments, but I'm bored at work and a bit cranky.**

**Computer in shop, facing several days of no game... any game, and getting my **** through a KINDLE, oh the humiliation.

Smitch
06-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Well.... on the one hand yes, these are all made up languages and none are "real"

But.... Castithan is much more "real" than Klingon. Castithan was created but a linguist before filming began as a coherent language. Klingon was not. I believe the writers in the movies put up a few lines they needed that sounded "klingony" and after the fact the fanbase filled in the rest of the language on their own. And that was later adopred by the show writers (TNG) I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but that was my impression as I lived through that time period. Klingon may have risen to language status, but Casti started out there from square one.

The first Klingon was in Star Trek III - And was created by Mark Orkand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Okrand) prior to the movie releasing. Initially it was not very flexable for everyday use (for example, it lacked a word for Table for a while) but was excellent for commanding a star ship into battle. >.< It grew. A lot. And is now quite usable, if a little "difficult" to master. Na'vi has a similar story. Created prior to the movie, and has since grown considerably with fan input and suggestions. Dothraki & Valyrian (high, and the various "low" dialects) again, all nice and working real languages created prior to being filmed in Game of Thrones. (Incidentally, David Peterson created these two languages as well.)

The big main difference between these previous "media" languages, is that for the Votan languages (there are 4, 2 working with decent vocab, and two potentially in the works with very basic sketches) is that the creator David Peterson had a big hand in developing the cultures as well. Indogenes didn't get their hexes until he had created their script. The art department loved it and went a little nuts with hexagons. >.< (I approve of going nuts with hexagons).

Tolken of course had a free hand with the Elvish languages and he built a whole world around them. But they are not growing any further.

And it's the Betazoid from Star Trek who have nekkid weddings...Only thing I can think of people mixing up is the Castithan famáiro, the bathing ritual, that would normally happen after the wedding with the whole family. Probably more as a relax from a long ritual day more than anything. Castithan wouldn't even blink at it. Only reason it was a "big thing" was Christie was NOT happy with the idea.

p.s. These are all "real" languages. They can be used to communicate...errrr...once people nuts enough like me learn 'em... ;) Just because they are not used by a lot of people does not make them any less "real".

p.p.s. Escyos is the owner/operator of the Defiance Wiki. Not much gets past him Defiance related.

Kibblehouse
06-28-2013, 05:26 AM
I stand corrected on the history of the Klingon language, my appologies to all offended.

Llewxam
06-28-2013, 12:53 PM
don't blame you. my girlfriend dropped this in on me after watching the episode (close to actual conversation):
"babe if we ever get married, you know what i want now."
"casti wedding?"
"oh **** yes!"
"telo and all?"
"sure."
"deal."

dfncfan
07-14-2013, 10:01 AM
My fiance and I have the same idea! Where can we find a telo??

Lollie
07-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Where are people getting this naked thing from? The wedding was never said to be naked, for anyone.

From the TV series, they were trying to make that little human chicky run down the isle naked. And wear a metal helmet with no eyeholes. Then again maybe they were just fcuking with her head, haha.

But whatever, for a true Castathan wedding...this means you will need to talk your beloved into being naked in front of the whole family while wearing a metal gimpsuit hat on her head.

Then hold reception in the family bathtub.

Good luck with that :p

Raver Wolfe
07-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Only thing I liked about the Castithan wedding was the singing D: Brought a tear to my eye D;

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
07-14-2013, 10:28 AM
I've certainly seen some "interesting" weddings in my days. Casti weddings are no surprise.

Good luck though! We want a video/pictures if you manage to pull it off!

Also, on an unrelated note, I just realized that we've not seen any little casti's running around. Just the teenage guys. 0.=.o

melkathi
07-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Also, on an unrelated note, I just realized that we've not seen any little casti's running around. Just the teenage guys. 0.=.o

Slimey as Datak is, castis probably are tadpoles 'till they become teenagers :P
(make syou think twice before jumping into their communal bathtubs)

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
07-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Slimey as Datak is, castis probably are tadpoles 'till they become teenagers :P
(make syou think twice before jumping into their communal bathtubs)

http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.13744619.4035/fc,550x550,white.u1.jpg

Lollie
07-14-2013, 11:24 AM
castis probably are tadpoles 'till they become teenagers :P

Let this be true.

Definitely explains the communal bathtub love.

Lollie
07-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I think this video goes here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1brfx_billy-idol-white-wedding_fun#.UeLwwW0vnkY

Smitch
07-14-2013, 12:20 PM
From the TV series, they were trying to make that little human chicky run down the isle naked. And wear a metal helmet with no eyeholes.

It was never said or even inferred that she would be expected to be naked at the wedding. Stahma was going to loan the Telo as part of the "something Borrowed" line, as well as make it a little more in line with a Castithan wedding. She was loaning it to her as Kenya was making the dress Christie was going to wear.

The only naked part ever mentioned was the family bath at the end of the day, and that is just a Castithan end of day relaxing thing.

Lollie
07-14-2013, 12:54 PM
It was never said or even inferred that she would be expected to be naked at the wedding. Stahma was going to loan the Telo as part of the "something Borrowed" line, as well as make it a little more in line with a Castithan wedding. She was loaning it to her as Kenya was making the dress Christie was going to wear.

The only naked part ever mentioned was the family bath at the end of the day, and that is just a Castithan end of day relaxing thing.

Close enough to a naked wedding...and I knew this when I wrote it :P Thanks for blowing the game.

Aaand you're a kiwi *shakes head* you're supposed to enjoy having someone on. It's part of our heritage.

melkathi
07-14-2013, 01:36 PM
I think this video goes here.

Great song that.
Though Cradle of Love has the better video clip :)