PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of ego powers (what ive seen or used)

knownwar
03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
In this thread im going to talk about about pros of cons of the different Ego powers, and im going to state now. im not going to slaughter one saying they are terrible no matter what, and that im not going to be able to tell every pro and con about it this is just my opinion of the abilities and i wanted to share about and will not cover much of the what the perks may offer.

Decoy:

Decoy is an EGO Power which creates a holographic duplicate of the host, momentarily distracting the enemy. The hologram will continue on the path of the host until it hits an obstruction and can only be sustained for a short period before it is depleted by enemy fire or runs out of energy. Upgrades increase the durability of the hologram, allow for the host to swap place with it or destroy it in a damaging explosion.

Levels
Base decoy health - 1 EGO Point
+15% decoy health - 2 EGO Points (Require EGO Rating 100) [3]
+30% decoy health - 3 EGO Points
+45% decoy health - 4 EGO Points
+60% decoy health - 5 EGO Points

Pros: The decoy is able to pretty much 'taunt' the other enemies in pve being able to make a quick escape or getting a few seconds of free time to shoot a lot, and in pvp its now more of a mind game. you make the person think "is this him/her" or are they going to take in account for the one special feature of the Decoy. The ability to reactivate it to teleport back to wherever the clone is standing last and shoot the person from behind.

Cons: Here is one thing i see happen sometimes when i 1st used the decoy teleport. i ended up glitching through the map and finding myself 2 kilometers. but that's a bug and will most likely get fixed in final release. the main cons for the for both pve and pvp is just, are you going to make the right choice of coming back to your clone or not. you don't know if someone shot a rocket that's going to kill you. and pvp its not you have all day to hesitate. you have little time to make a decision. and while also other people can see the clone walking straight.

Summary: Decoy is a great utility ability able to taunt for either doing damage or having enough time to hit other enemies. with this ability later being able to almost being the "tank" or "healer" of the group with the perks leading up to it.

Blur:

Blur is an EGO Power which increases the hosts speed for a limited time allowing the host to more effectively dodge enemy attacks. Blur can be used in both combat and non-combat situations, can be upgraded for increased duration and eventually be used to lessen damage and increase melee attack damage.

Levels
10 second duration - 1 EGO Point
12 second duration - 2 EGO Points
14 second duration - 3 EGO Points
16 second duration - 4 EGO Points
18 second duration - 5 EGO Points

Pros: the ability of moving fast for a duration and being able to deal more with melee attacks. running up with a shotgun+melee combo anyone? you have the choice of being able to flank your opponent or escape.

Cons: this actually took some thought but whats a con for blur. well i cant really think of one. its more on how you use it and know where to go on a battleground. but you could possible get caught by a flashbang or some biochemical ooze to slow you down.

Summary: blur is able to re-position yourself around the battle field fast and can give you the ability to increase attack on your melee. using this you can use it as a chase/escape.

Cloak:

Cloak is an EGO Power which renders the host invisible to the enemy. Cloak can be used in both combat and non-combat situations, however once an enemy has been attacked the cloak will automatically deactivate and any damage sustained by enemy attacks will also disable the cloak. The cloak requires a cooldown period which can be shortened with upgrades. More upgrades can help to accelerate shield regeneration and boost duration by slowing movement.

Levels
60 second recharge - 1 EGO Point
54 second recharge - 2 EGO Points
48 second recharge - 3 EGO Points
42 second recharge - 4 EGO Points
36 second recharge - 5 EGO Points

Pros:Whats better then going invisible to relocate yourself in a sniping spot or to run up behind someone in a shotgun? goldfish crackers. but that's just me getting off topic now.

Cons: two things you would have to be careful of is the fact that. a person with a decoy might have the perk of being able to see right pass your cloak and any line a fire you are trying to run by. also shooting while in cloak will deactivate it for a fraction of a second (dont know on dots yet)

Summary: Cloak will be probably the most used ability in pvp since you can go in and out combat with a shotgun to destroy a person quick and easy. but one thing with the Decoy ability has is a perk to be able to see where a hidden person is. and probally countered fast if unaware about your surroundings.

Overcharge:

Overcharge is an EGO Power that applies a bionetic bonus to the host's weapons allowing for greater damage to enemies. Overcharge can only be sustained for a short period but upgrades can increase the duration, increase the damage to enemies and allow for instant reloading.

Levels
10% DMG - 1 EGO Point
15% DMG - 2 EGO Points
20% DMG - 3 EGO Points
25% DMG - 4 EGO Points
30% DMG - 5 EGO Points

Pros:you like turning into all mighty shrek and becoming a dps lord for a few seconds. well this is what it is for. it would reload your weapon and give you a 30% damage increase at full rank of the ability.

Cons: i looked at the ability and saw this was a full offensive ability. this offers you no escape and would probably have to shoot your way out of any situation.

Summary: overcharge is full offensive having this ability mean that if you are having a 1v1 engagement you will have a higher chance to win the engagement. but you still have to be aiming at a person. another cool feature is the "instant reload" aspect of it. being able to having a shotgun, fire to clips and most likely getting more then a single kill if time/aimed correctly.

ill note that its obvious i chose Decoy as my ability

I will be updating this later when needed to and will probably come out with a pro and con for the weapon types and then detail for perks

FOR LAZY PEOPLE

Decoy:
Great utility - ranged AOE taunt. Temporary ranged taunt.

Blur:
Great specialization - charge or retreat; little utility. Temporary speed and melee buff.

Cloak:
Long(longest?) cooldown. Absolute utility; no specialization. Temporary invisibility.

Overcharge:
Absolute specialization - increase damage; no utility. temporary damage buff.

thank Dregs for the nice sum of everything

ManDown
03-25-2013, 12:58 PM
This post has some potential. I'd especially like to see some discussion of the various perks for the different "base" powers.

One thing I noticed when cloaking, when you receive damage or fire your weapon the cloak drops for approximately 1 second and then automatically recloaks you if there is still time left on its duration. I did not have the chance to find out if a DoT would negate the effect completely.

Thunderkraken
03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
the major detraction to blur is if you get stuck in ooze (or whatever the stuff that slows you down is called), you slow down to what seems like normal movement speed for being stuck. It doesn't seem to speed up at all. So if you get stuck, I would not waste blur trying to get out of it. Just wanted to confirm the ooze theory.

Far_Too_Jones
03-25-2013, 02:08 PM
For PVP, almost everyone I saw used Cloak, maybe a few overcharge. Decoy I like for PVE but I don't think its going to fool anyone consistently in pvp.

JMadFour
03-25-2013, 02:15 PM
For PVP, almost everyone I saw used Cloak, maybe a few overcharge. Decoy I like for PVE but I don't think its going to fool anyone consistently in pvp.

decoy is awesome for PVE.

I've only used it a few times in PVP.

Archangel
03-25-2013, 02:19 PM
<---- Overcharge for PVE content

<---- Decoy for pvp, then cloak imo.

Cloak can be interupted by a stray bullet thus giving you a full cool down on the timer and no cloak to show for it :-( It also can be broken by someone, like me, who plans to use Decoy.

Blurr makes you a shiny bright blue and in pvp that means people shoot at you. The con is the only benefit this ability gives requires you to get in close and only buffs your melee.

If a person see's you coming they can dance around, jump around, roll out of the way to minimize the damage that blurr would provide. I would make blurr and overchange about the same in pvp.

Overcharge in pvp is helpful for the bonus damage but mainly the free reload.

Unload your grenade launcher or your 85 round mag on a LMG then pop overcharge and its back to full.

Same goes for the shotguns with only 2 shots then reload. Shoot, pop Overcharge, shoot again.

shepherdLou
03-25-2013, 04:01 PM

Dregs
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Decoy:
Great specialization - ranged AOE taunt; little utility. Temporary ranged taunt and decoy swap.

Blur:
Great specialization - charge or retreat; little utility. Temporary speed and melee buff.

Cloak:
Long(longest?) cooldown. Absolute utility; no specialization. Temporary invisibility.

Overcharge:

knownwar
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Decoy:
Great utility - ranged AOE taunt. Temporary ranged taunt.

Blur:

Cloak:

Overcharge:

going to use this as something just to sum it up for people too lazy too read

Dregs
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
going to use this as something just to sum it up for people too lazy too read

I meant to put Decoy as "Great specialization"!

mcwjimbo
03-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Cloak

cloak and cloak again which fully sloted 5/5= lowers cool down and the 2 perks to increase duration & other to decrease cooldown even more fully done 3/3 each...end up stuck with only a 10 second cool down but then take the perk that every time you reload you recharge your active ego and you technically have perma-cloak except when firing or being hit, but noticed that 1 step to the side a lot of times took one "out of combat" and cloak re-engaged

otherwise would have a 2nd build with blur fully specd and the perks to raise duration and lower cool down for moving around because i hate the wasd driving ( would prefer more like a rift mount = mouse turning would be cool )and feel more super human = have alien ego tech in me by running fast everywhere and jumping down cliff-sides unhurt

and a 3rd spec with overcharg fully speced and perks to increase length and decrease recharge for after the trash mobs are cleaned out and dealing with a boss

personally dislike decoy and will never play with it due to personal preferences

knownwar
03-26-2013, 11:48 AM
added a summary and leveling list for ability

zartanyen
03-26-2013, 12:15 PM
The thing also is not as much as the power it's self but the perks around it opening up.

Decoy can be pretty useless in PVP but start using it's perks to make a tank and it's a different story get your health doubled, take 6% less damage from all sources, 20% less damage after killing a foe another like 15% from not moving then take cloak, and over charge to get their tanking perks of 1/2 damage after your sheilds break and like 10% for being crowched so you would take about 50% less damage after a kill just croaching their or a base of 31% less damage you shield breaks and you take 19% damage and your health is doubled to start from.

I had a 1500 shield that regened 25% of my health was a true tank as far as being able to take damage just have to remember and fight the urge to move now use your over charge as your ability on top of that and no one should be able to1V1 you or probably even 2V1 you depending on your gear.

Yagu
03-26-2013, 12:21 PM
I didn't see anyone mentioning Overcharge eliminating recoil. It's a tremendous boost to dps if you use a fast firing weapon like SMg, AR or some LMGs.

knownwar
03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
i havent yet talked about the perks that effect the ability but that will most likely be a different thread linked to this one. (i dont want to cause alot of confusion with the long list

Dixa
03-26-2013, 01:20 PM
just an FYI, trion has stated multiple times that this is a co-op pve game primarily. these abilities are not balanced for pvp.

also some of the perks in the beta didn't function. the one that restores 15% shield on a crit kill? didn't work. i found a few like that and bugged them all.

other things to take into consideratoins are the perks around the abilities. i found the perks around the cloak the best early game perks - extra crit damgae while crouched. take less damage while crouched. 15% shield regenned on a critical kill. 9% ammo pool regen on a crit kill. you can with perks have a 30s recharge cloak. that is quite powerful.

the 9% ammo pool on a crit kill means it's unlikely you'll ever run out of ammo using a bolt action sniper rifle as every head-shot kill gets you 4 rounds back. unless i was spraying and praying with the lmg i actually made ammo with this perk (almost 50 ammo back on a crit kill, lmg takes like 4-5 shots to down something a normal mob if you don't miss)

these perks can be combined with scavenger (30% more ammo drops) and the melee kill perk that's around overcharge that regens ammo on melee kill. remember, ego rating goes to 5000. you WILL unlock everything on the grid.