+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Level

Weapon Level

Whats the point of the weapon level? I don't mean the xp bar under the items 'stats', or the type as a whole, I mean the level in the grid of weapons in your inventory. I had weapons that had ---, 10X, and others, but I couldn't figure out what they meant, since even the higher 'level' ones had the same stats as ones with ---. Thanks in advance.

Don't accept this for fact, but I like to believe the higher the ego rating required the better the look of the weapons ie different color variations etc. Stats wise there doesn't seem to be a blind bit of difference between a starting AR and one of ego rating 400 besides mod slots.

Yeah, I got a sniper rifle, assault rifle and SMG all around level 100 on the first day of beta, and didn't find anything better the entire time. It felt a bit of a let down that these "higher level" weapons has sub par stats. I pretty much didn't upgrade any of my guns the entire time, which was also a let down, because you play MMO type games to make your character stronger, and that didn't happen beyond level ~100 for me. I made it to almost 300 during the beta.

it was posted somewhere that all the weapons in the beta had the same beginning stats.. a lvl 100 shotgun had the same damage as a lvl 500 shotgun.. it wont be like that in the actual game

The weapons have the same or similiar stats to keep balance skill-based rather than gear-based. An EGO 100 player can take on an EGO 1000 player and still take them down if they are actually a better player.

Another thing to keep in mind is that skill bar the OP mentioned. As long as that is NOT filled using the weapon will increase that AND the weapon class skill. Once that bar fills on a specific weapon you will gain a bonus for using that weapon, but you will no longer gain XP for the weapon class. So while you may have the most impact now with that weapon you picked up at EGO 100, it behooves you to switch it out to keep that weapon class XP rising.

You'll also notice that higher EGO rated weapons are more likely to have additional effects or adjustments to their stats to make them more and more unique and specific to a role. The EGO rating is a fuzzy way to reveal these added twists in a controlled manner, rather than throwing everything at you right at the start. Yes, your EGO 100 SMG is still a viable weapon, but maybe you would prefer just a little less bloom, or just a little more ammo capacity. This way you can be happy min/maxing or not, and be a viable and competitive player either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingcheesecake View Post
    The weapons have the same or similiar stats to keep balance skill-based rather than gear-based. An EGO 100 player can take on an EGO 1000 player and still take them down if they are actually a better player.
    That's, what's the word I'm looking for...oh yeah, STUPID, that's stupid. This is a MMO, the main things in an MMO are loot and leveling and since the leveling in Defiance is odd and not that useful, all we have left is looting. I'm sorry, but if I'm a high level, I should be getting some kick-*** guns, not the same one a level 20 is getting. Having added mod slots is useless, because we can add those ourselves. That's also bad design, because the majority of the game is PvE, not PvP.

Lineage Co-Leader
    "The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"

Bringing back the challenge into games.

Don't get me wrong i am an average gamer but it thrills me that this game is forcing me to become better .

Quote Originally Posted by JerZey CJ View Post
    That's, what's the word I'm looking for...oh yeah, STUPID, that's stupid. This is a MMO, the main things in an MMO are loot and leveling and since the leveling in Defiance is odd and not that useful, all we have left is looting. I'm sorry, but if I'm a high level, I should be getting some kick-*** guns, not the same one a level 20 is getting. Having added mod slots is useless, because we can add those ourselves. That's also bad design, because the majority of the game is PvE, not PvP.
    I guess the mistake is initially promoting the game as an MMO. If you've kept an eye on their marketing, they back-peddled and changed direction to promoting it as a third-person shooter with online persistence. If they had started that way I feel that a lot of confusion amongst us may have been avoided.

edit: evidently someone with trion was being deceptive when they said beta stats do not reflect the real game, because we're getting the same thing from the beta in terms of weapon stats.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Beta Tester -/- NA PC Player -/- CORE Leader -/- Ego Level 5,xxx - Clan Level 3,100 - Winterborn - Now playing ESO & Firefall

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingcheesecake View Post
    I guess the mistake is initially promoting the game as an MMO. If you've kept an eye on their marketing, they back-peddled and changed direction to promoting it as a third-person shooter with online persistence. If they had started that way I feel that a lot of confusion amongst us may have been avoided.
    The problem is that people seems to always associate MMO with RPG. Where MMO just means Massive Multiplayer Online. But as i said people seem to associate it always with RPG's