+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are the pre-order weapons going to suck?

Hey guys,

I was thinking about the various pre-order deals and the weapons they give you (changes between pc and consoles, and for consoles the different retailers even give different things) and how they would probably be a huge help to those who get them, but then it occurred to me:

Are the pre-order weapons even going to be that good?

Here's my logic: Weapons in Defiance have minimum levels attached to them, with better weapons requiring higher levels. As such, there are only three possible ways for the pre-order weapons to work.

1) They have a low minimum level, allowing players to use them from the very beginning, but as a result they will quickly be replaced and sold off once the player gets a few hours in.

2) They are really powerful but have a high minimum level, and so by the time the player unlocks them they may well have gotten better weapons anyway (if they ever unlock them)

3) They break with above trend, having lots of power and a low minimum level, which causes a imbalance in the game's pacing and results in "super-noobs" who can ace high level missions right from the start, which may not be such a great thing.

This is just something that occurred to me. Which do you think will happen, and are the pre-order weapons even going to be that helpful?

they will most likely be non tradeable no level weapons, liek many of the quest rewards were.
    And since the "level" has minimal effect on weapon stats anyways... they wouldnt be useless at high ego. Unless the weapon itself simply sucks even at the beginning.

can say with other games pre-order weapons were best up through level 3-4 and at level 5 switch them out for something better

but then this game doesn't have levels so......

basically just a starter weapon of your preferred weapon choice

Actually, the weapons of higher level barely scale. Many people have observed they have weapons of a very low level that are not better than those of higher level. The weapons are meant to be as balanced as possible. The EGO level of the weapons you get are representative of your EGO level when you got said weapon. It's not an actual weapon level per se, but true, those of lower levels can't use it if you trade it to them.

With that being said, weapons you get at higher EGO levels will have more mod slots unlocked when you take possession of that weapon and really, it takes equipping the weapon and shooting it in many cases to decide whether you like it or not. They are all different. You'll be surprised..

So, in short, you may very well have the pre launch weapons for a very long time as long as they jive with your playing style. As to the rarity of these weapons or the specs, I'm unsure.
    The wise are instructed by reason, the average by experience, the stupid by necessity, and the brute by instinct. -Cicero

In any case they're probably better than the normal starting weapons. So I'd say no, they won't suck.

Preorders weapons will be around the same as what you can find at first, just a slight head start. They will be replaced eventually and the stats of weapons in the beta and the very small variation between 0 ego level weapons and 300 ego level weapons is not a representation of how the stats will scale in game. The stats will be different. Sledge said so.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Beta Tester -/- NA PC Player -/- CORE Leader -/- Ego Level 5,xxx - Clan Level 3,100 - Winterborn - Now playing ESO & Firefall

The base damage for weapons is the same across weapon types and the color "quality" of it has nothing to do with it.

What then makes a weapon good?

1. Its elemental proc/type(which is random on all weapons depending). There are two ways a weapon can have a proc: the weapons main damage and the weapons melee damage.
    2. Number of mods it can have or that can be added for a crystal fee(also random as you can have blue with no mods and greens with 2)
    3. Bonuses from leveling the weapon's experience bar(though this I do believe is the same across weapon types and unlocked after ranking your weapon(ie leveling it).
    4. Weapons with synergies(which are predominantly found on orange weapons).(think of them as just more bonuses)

So other than those variances, weapons are all basically the same. You can complete all missions with plain old white no sparkles weapons.

As to answering about the "sucking" of preorder weapons or the arkfall code unlocked weapons: They will be viable to use. How viable just depends on your playstyle, perk choices, mods added(or not) and more.

Its pretty easy to assume or infer from the names of some of them that they will have some contextual elemental proc. Other than that I couldnt/wouldnt assume them having other stuff but they very well may.

I think the only thing I saw with the different colors of the same weapon was magazine size.
    Seek and you shall find --- The master of the world
    http://grindingdown.files.wordpress....pg?w=500&h=311

Defiance Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Kantazo View Post
    I think the only thing I saw with the different colors of the same weapon was magazine size.
    Nope those can be the same too. I say can, because there is a RNG involved.

There is one consistent difference only: color does correspond to the crystal currency you can break down for them.

Since the weapon scaling is so gradual, you can expect them to be useful for a loooooong time.

If they have all their mod slots open, they could even be useful in the endgame!
    Travel Teaches how to see.