+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

• • • Who has HARD LOCKS - CONSOLE FREEZES - Chime In: Trion Wants To Know • • •

Hey all,

Well, to make a VERY long story short: I (and just about every gamer I have chatted with in game) have been experiencing hard-locks (HL's) ever since the BETA. Not just 1 or 2. Or 3-5. We are talking above 50. I get at least one almost EVERY time I play Defiance.

These are the ones that you have to hold down the power button for 20 seconds to reset the PS3.

Below is a compact version of the conversation I have been having with Trion. I know it is a long read and I'm sorry for that, but if you are dealing with HL's then it is worth reading to see what Trion thinks is going on, or rather, NOT going on.

Quote Originally Posted by My Original Ticket
    If I play for 3-4 hours, I can count on at least 1 HARD LOCK of my PS3 SLIM during that time, if not more.

Yesterday, I was in the game for a total of 30 seconds before it locked up my system.

In most cases, I can hold the POWER BUTTON for 20 seconds and it will restart the system, the rest of the time I HAVE to pull out the power cord to turn the system off.

I have played 1000's of hours on PS3 systems and this is the ONLY GAME that I have ever had to 'pull the cord' on a CONSTANT basis. 3 times in Mass Effect 3, once in GranTurismo 5 ... all the rest (15-20 times), DEFIANCE. Doing this is VERY hard on the PS3 and can cause innumerable issues within it - all because of bad coding.
    They suggested a few options and I have jumped through all the hoops that they gave to fix the issue and it is a 'no go'.

Continuing on ...

Quote Originally Posted by From TRION
    So the symptoms you're experiencing, things like hard freezes requiring a full console restart, tend to indicate one of two things. Both causes share the same symptoms. These normally indicate either corrupt data, or a hardware issue (whether it be drivers, firmware, or actual faulty hardware). It's much easier for us to troubleshoot a software issue such as corrupt data ... Issues like you brought up earlier, such as bugs caused by something our engineers missed tend to occur on a widespread scale. I did a search on our support queues for the last two weeks and couldn't find any similar reports.
    Reply ...

Quote Originally Posted by By ME
    I have friends and clan members that I play Defiance with and EVERY ONE OF THEM have the same issues that I do regarding the lock-up's and hard-freezes. So, unless all of them and I have HARDWARE issues (which is HIGHLY unlikely) then is IS a coding issue - or at the least, code that is incompatible with the PS3 hardware architecture.

Now, the BIG difference between them and me is : I take the time to actually REPORT the issues that I encounter and they do not - and here is why. They feel that it is a 1) waste of time or at a minimum, a pain in the butt to submit issues within the game. Typing a LONG explanation on a PS3 controller is NOT at all fun, hence, why I do it here, on the web.

2) they feel with the MASSIVE amount of lock-up's and hard-freezes we experience along with the subsequent mountain of tickets you must get about them, 'if the issue was going to be addressed and fixed, Trion would have done it by now'.

It is a case of 'what's the point'. If we all stopped playing the game (which is why we bought it - to play it) to send a ticket whenever it locked up our systems, we would (on many days) spend more time typing out tickets on a PS3 controller then actually playing the game. It IS that bad.
    My suggestion to Trion ...

Quote Originally Posted by By ME
    So, If you really want to know how often this happens in order to make the game better, then make reporting it VERY VERY EASY. Add an option that is a SINGLE CHECK BOX in the reporting system that states something to the effect "The last time I played Defiance I experienced a lock-up or hard-freeze".

No long explanation.

No cascade of drop-downs to go through.

Just a box at the top-level to click on.

I'm sure, if you implement an easy tracking system like this (and inform the players IT IS THERE on the splash screen) you will be amazed and then horrified as to how my 'checks' you get in that box in just a few days.
    ... and again, Trions reply ...

Quote Originally Posted by From TRION
    If the issue is indeed widespread, then we need more reports. As I mentioned previously, I have no evidence at all indicating that this is widespread. If you are not convinced that the issue is hardware related, and have indeed taken steps to ensure that the issue is not corrupt date related (I'll touch on that more below), then we need to gather additional information from other users in order to provide sufficient evidence to our engineers to duplicate the issue and then implement a fix.

First, Submit a bug report in-game. Second, post on our official forums, if your friends are unwilling to submit tickets as well. This will be where other users who are experiencing the same issues can chime in and provide any additional information. The forums are the most appropriate venue for making information known to our developers.
    So there you have it. If you are dealing with this as I have and many are, PLEASE, take the time to say so here and also, WRITE A TICKET that goes to the devs so it IS on record.

By doing this, you help me, your other Defiance friends and the rest of the community.

Thanks much!

- PS3 Name: Dig -Gen - Defiance Character: Devhan Thane

Quote Originally Posted by Nim Shandu View Post
    Other thread was trashed or something before I got a chance to reply. Hard freezes, only way to turn off console is by cutting power, do exist. This is the only game that hard freezes me.

I saw somewhere in the past someone stated the cause is the system getting too hot and the solder begins to melt, causing errors. I don't know how true it is, but it sounds good.
    They can't find and posts on hard freezes?? LMAO, tell them to use the search function on their site and look up "hard freeze". They will get what the are searching for. It has been brought up several times in the past, nothing ever gets done. This freeze is a game breaker and makes me fearful to even play the disc.

It does it to mine [a year+ old] and my friend's that is only 20 days older than Defiance. Happens fairly often. Don't want the system destroyed so I have stopped playing till it gets fixed. Sucks to hear this is still an issue.
    I am Everywhere!

Thanks Nim.

They have 75 bug and emails now and counting i have had the same issue and report it every time what i always hear is its my fault not theirs they need to dig deeper into there massive reportand bug list unless the go to file 13 lol

I have had the same issues with hard freezes since launch. I have submitted several tickets as well as posting in the forums about this problem and also how to first try and hold the power button down before unplugging. I have never got a response from any Trion member about this and if I had to guess how many hard freezes I've had since launch, it would probably be close to 100. Hopefully they get this fixed but someone once told me "Don't hold your breath, cause you might die" lol
    PSN deemanfromhell
    IGN DEE DOG

Console: PS3
    Region: North America

Ps3 bought in march played defiance past 2 weeks had 3 hard locks havent had to pull cord on 2 of them
    Constant server down message after 8pm est time pas 3 nights......

Constant hard freezes and as a it tech...i know what that does to hard drives

While I have not had to pull the cord as of yet, I get a hard freeze almost once a day. And before Trion says it must be your hardware let me tell you I am an IT Tech and Run a Computer Repair Business. I have checked my PS3 for top to bottom, put all the parts on testers and can tell you there is nothing wrong with my PS3. So the OP is right it is software and you need to fix it. I have also been told the XBOX has the same problems. So Trion just admit you have a problem and fix it. No one is perfect, heck look at your servers tonight. So before you say we have a problem, look at your problems and fix them. Thank you.

Thanks everyone. Keep posting your HL's when ever they arise ...

My ps3 locked up pretty good a few times since playing defiance. I have held the on/off button for a minute, and no turn off so i had to unplug it. Also some times when i just done for the evening. I simply hit the quit game option on my controller. My screen will go black with a lot of white lines across the screen. It kind of locks up, but it will shut off with the on/off button. Sometimes i think it is my ps3 due to it still the first ps3 that came on the market. But only defiance does this to it.