+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Warning, this will not be a small post.

This is just my personal thoughts regarding this new DLC Pack, it's not meant to start any fights or give anyone heartburn etc. I completely understand that these are just my own opinions and some folks will almost certainly have varying degrees of agreement and disagreement with them. Hopefully if you don't agree with some points they will at least be thought provoking.

I play the PC version so some of this may or may not apply to other versions of defiance.

The Good:

[1] The new map icons are much easier to see and click on especially for fast traveling.

[2] The addition of Zone chat, and I mean this specifically, now folks can ask questions and most of the time I see them answered by other players. In this regard, as a sort of informal help channel it's great.

[3] The Volge Sieges. I don't have a lot to say about them other than good job. They are entertaining so far and a welcome addition to game content.

[4] The Dark Matter Arkfalls. Same as above, they are fun and it's more stuff to do.

[5] Battle Arenas. I will say that these are good, in so far as it's more content for us. I.E. More stuff to do. I have read many forum threads complaining about arenas and I'm not going to say they are wrong, I just want to say that when I sprinkle this content into my mix of stuff to do, it makes the game less monotonous. I never "farm" any content, and by that I mean I don't repeat one thing over and over, I don't find that fun at all. I jump around from content to content to keep things fresh.

[6] Volge emergencies. A nice upgrade to the standard events I normally partake in.

[7] New Character Voices. Awesome.

[8] Overall I like the new sword melee. It adds a new dimension to the game, something that no new ranged weapon could provide.

[9] Mod Vendors. Overall I like this change. Prior to this I felt that trying to obtain a complete set for just one single weapon was beyond ridiculously convoluted and difficult. I want to point out why for me I say that, I don't like to buy things from player hawkers, I just don't want to deal with scams and exploits etc. More importantly I enjoy earning my own stuff. The new mod vendor system makes it so that I have a reasonable means to get the mods that fit my various weapons. Kudos.

The Bad:

[1] The new inventory screen changes. I like the idea of denoting which weapons are mastered and which weapons are new in inventory, however as it's currently implemented it's a nightmare for me. There is very little visual difference between the two and nearly my entire inventory list is full of mastered weapons so it's extremely annoying every time I go to sell off a bunch of new junk items that I've accumulated.

[2] The new Raptor vehicle is a Roller not a Cerberus in regards to skill used. Color me disappointed because I thought I would finally be able to work on the Cerberus driving skill without having to painfully farm the coop mission that has a Cerberus which I wasn't ever planning to work on the skill that way because it's a ridiculous painful way to advance it. And the PvP Cerberus is out because I don't PvP, ever.

[3] Getting into the Raptor is irritating, I keep jumping into every other seat except for the Driver seat. Also I have to look up into the sky to see the popup text that denotes where you are going to sit. If you can bring that down to eye level that would be great.

[4] At the Bug and Chug mod vendor I see Shotgun Radiation shot converter (no synergy) 3,500$, and the Stalker and Run N Gun variety are 2,500$. This makes no sense, Why would anyone bother spending an extra 1,000$ when they can slot the cheaper ones which will do the same thing even ignoring their synergy bonus.

[5] You removed the small persistent chat window that was useful for seeing small brief messages. Meeting new people just became even more difficult if that was even possible since I'm not going to be running around with the large chat window open.. like... ever. On the off chance you didn't remove the window then take this as a bug report because mine doesn't show chat unless I expand it to take up the whole screen.

[6] Having said I liked the new sword melee above I want to point out a few nit picks about it that I feel could be improved. I know that the traditional melee attack caused one to move forward with each strike, this never bothered me before because quite frankly I almost never used the standard melee attack. However, I kind of want to try to like and use the new sword melee attacks but this forward movement while useful sometimes is also annoying in certain cases, like when trying to destroy mission objects like pheromone mounds, etc. I will attack myself right over and past the object target frequently which is irritating.

I'm not sure how that could be tweaked but I feel it can and should be better. Perhaps the automatic movement forward could be tied to your direction keys, what I mean by that is, if you are pressing "W" while attacking it behaves as it does now, you move forward as you attack, if you are pressing "S", you move backward, if you press no movement key you stand in place and attack, which would be great for attacking stationary objects like the above mentioned pheromone mounds.

My final gripe with the sword is that when attacking my view angle keeps shooting up into the sky, I don't understand why this happens, it appears to be buggy because I really hope this isn't intentional.

The Ugly:

[1] You took away the only scope I liked. The triangular red-ish scope. (The AR Tactical and the Pistol Advanced scopes) I want to be very clear about this. I play the game almost entirely using my favorite Assault Rifle. I cannot stress just how much the removal of the only scope that I liked takes away so much of the fun I have. It is to the point that most of my desire to want to play has gone away. My play style is to use the Assault Rifle and then sprinkle in other weapons as I need based on whatever tactical situation arises, like a grenade toss here, or a few shots of a rocket launcher there, etc. But my bread and butter is my Assault Rifle.

I don't want to sound unreasonable so I will try to adjust myself to the Commando Scope. The New Tactical Scope is just a flat out no. It is just too visually obscuring for me.

Odds and Ends:

The following things don't affect me because I can ignore them if they don't suit me but I felt like commenting on them anyway.

[1] The Raptor seems kind of inferior... quite a bit so. If it was a Yellow School bus then it would all make more sense especially since it's designed to carry you and a bunch of your friends in a vehicle that handles like a potato and is as durable as a tomato.

[2] Volge Battle Rifle Gun MK 1, I just don't get it. Most weapons have their Pros and Cons, this one seems to have nothing going for it. The high damage number at first was eye opening, as well as the extremely low magazine capacity for a "machine gun", but once I used it I didn't see any worthwhile qualities in it that I liked. It felt like a very inferior weapon. To provide a comparison, the weapon that I feel is the weakest up to this point has always been my BMG, but that's fine since it has multiple uses, so when I can kill more efficiently using my BMG versus the Volge LMG I think there's a problem.

If I were to take a stab in the dark about what hurts them the most for my use, it's that they miss far too much because of their slow projectile speed. I don't have anything against slow projectiles when it makes sense, such is the case for rocket launchers, but a machine gun should... I dunno... be more machine gun-ish. In fact, the way this Volge LMG works it would fit into the rocket launcher weapon category much better than the LMG weapon category since it basically spits out energy bombs that do small area damage when they impact.

[3] Charge Weapons in general, neat concept, but I don't find myself liking them personally. This type of attack mechanic isn't a new thing, I've played games that have had attacks with similar mechanics and pretty much in every case I dislike this type of attack mechanic. I'll just be neutral and say it doesn't fit my playstyle. Hopefully other players end up liking them to make them a worthwhile addition to the game.

[4] The new NPCs (Shadow war, Competitive and Coop matchmakers) seem a bit odd. I'm not sure how to describe this but seeing them everywhere makes the locations seem far to cluttered. Couldnt they be unified into a single NPC that divides all three objectives via a menu instead of having to run to a seperate NPC a few yards away for each option? I won't mention the fact that they are kind of redundant since you can do the same thing via your EGO menu without having to physically travel to those NPCs. Personally I only care about the coop dude.

Overall, I just want to state that I don't particularly care what changes you make as long as I can ignore them if they are bad for me. The problem I have is that many of the recent changes you have made I can't simply ignore or say, gee, I don't like it but someone else might and ignore it. It is forced on me whether I like it or not. My one wish would be for you to provide us with the OPTION to customize our interaction with the game.

To be clear, when I say ignore changes made, I'm not talking about balance changes, I'm talking about QoL changes and changes made to the way I interact with the game.

Lastly, if I didn't bother to mention something like for example the new Castithan Race, it's because it didn't make any sort of impact on me and didn't change anything about my enjoyment of the game one way or the other.

Thanks for reading and take anything I say with a grain of salt.

I really like your post and I think you hit the nail on the head with what you said.

I really like the patch stuff (the free stuff) when I am not disconnecting. I know (or I should say hope) that Trion is working on that because the only way to be 80% sure I won't disconnect after finishing a siege or DM arkfall is to reboot my PS3 and relog into the game. Very annoying. There is a lot of good stuff that was given to us with this patch, and a lot of bad as well.

As far as the DLC (paid content), we got the DLC on Friday (PS3 NA) and I was pretty much done with it by Saturday. I knocked out all the arenas and the small storyline all on Friday. Saturday, I just grinded the first arena to get my rep and buy the orange sword. They are fun, but after grinding them like I did for that sword, I am taking a break from them for a while. The Raptor (or craptor), yeah that thing. I think I used it for a good 5 minutes before switching back to my old vehicle. Too slow, handling sucks, and it is not very durable. However, I am glad that they didn't put a turret on it and here is why: vehicles in arkfalls tend to make the game a little laggy (remember, I am on PS3 and we are not very stable) and can even cause disconnects. Leaving the turret would cause more people to use them thus causing more issues.

I also really like the sword. It makes a great companion weapon in my loadout. I don't ever see it being a main weapon (mostly with the issues you mentioned, plus the dps is decent but not great). But it does add a great new dimension to the game, and I really do enjoy it.

The new chat system sucks. If they could have found some sort of middle ground between the new and old, then it might have been an improvement. I agree with what you said about it, but I will add that I HATE the fact that it mutes whatever channel you aren't in. I hate the fact you have to pull up the full screen to read what was being said because friend online spam fills up that little box fast. I hate the fact you have to pull up the full screen to use an emote.

Here is my biggest issue with the patch and I have addressed it relentlessly before and after patch, and you mentioned it. They removed the red A-frame scope (formally called the tactical scope). It WAS the best scope in the game. There were more people for keeping it than was against it. Trion ignored EVERYONE who was against losing this scope. They were aware of it. It started being addressed over a month ago when the Upcoming Sight Mod Changes thread was created. It was repeatedly addressed before the patch. Now after patch, more people are showing their disdain for removing this scope. They should have left it how it was and just added a new 3rd person scope to the mix. But doing something that would please the majority of the players (giving those that wanted a 3rd person scope one and leaving the good red scope alone) is too hard of a concept for Trion.

Also this patch/DLC has caused more server instability. Hopefully that will get fixed, and soon.
    The Phoenix Guard

Looking for: EMC Service Rifle,

List of Great Guides

I agree with you so far, except with the Volge rifle. My LMG skill is level 19 going on 20 so far it has done me justice and saved me plenty of times. The fast reload makes it a nice back up, the high damage is the kind of the thing you need when you're stuck with your back to the wall and need to make a hole in something squishy to escape. I want more volge rifles, I want more volge tech I need bigger guns and bigger monsters. The new map is sexy IDK anything about the DLC but I will soon and I feel like one NPC can do Co-op, and PVP and the other for other uses. Something new maybe. For now you can get rid of the other one.

Well done Sir...or Madam

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlocke View Post
    Warning, this will not be a small post.

This is just my personal thoughts regarding this new DLC Pack, it's not meant to start any fights or give anyone heartburn etc. I completely understand that these are just my own opinions and some folks will almost certainly have varying degrees of agreement and disagreement with them. Hopefully if you don't agree with some points they will at least be thought provoking.

I play the PC version so some of this may or may not apply to other versions of defiance.

The Good:

[1] The new map icons are much easier to see and click on especially for fast traveling.

[2] The addition of Zone chat, and I mean this specifically, now folks can ask questions and most of the time I see them answered by other players. In this regard, as a sort of informal help channel it's great.

[3] The Volge Sieges. I don't have a lot to say about them other than good job. They are entertaining so far and a welcome addition to game content.

[4] The Dark Matter Arkfalls. Same as above, they are fun and it's more stuff to do.

[5] Battle Arenas. I will say that these are good, in so far as it's more content for us. I.E. More stuff to do. I have read many forum threads complaining about arenas and I'm not going to say they are wrong, I just want to say that when I sprinkle this content into my mix of stuff to do, it makes the game less monotonous. I never "farm" any content, and by that I mean I don't repeat one thing over and over, I don't find that fun at all. I jump around from content to content to keep things fresh.

[6] Volge emergencies. A nice upgrade to the standard events I normally partake in.

[7] New Character Voices. Awesome.

[8] Overall I like the new sword melee. It adds a new dimension to the game, something that no new ranged weapon could provide.

[9] Mod Vendors. Overall I like this change. Prior to this I felt that trying to obtain a complete set for just one single weapon was beyond ridiculously convoluted and difficult. I want to point out why for me I say that, I don't like to buy things from player hawkers, I just don't want to deal with scams and exploits etc. More importantly I enjoy earning my own stuff. The new mod vendor system makes it so that I have a reasonable means to get the mods that fit my various weapons. Kudos.

The Bad:

[1] The new inventory screen changes. I like the idea of denoting which weapons are mastered and which weapons are new in inventory, however as it's currently implemented it's a nightmare for me. There is very little visual difference between the two and nearly my entire inventory list is full of mastered weapons so it's extremely annoying every time I go to sell off a bunch of new junk items that I've accumulated.

[2] The new Raptor vehicle is a Roller not a Cerberus in regards to skill used. Color me disappointed because I thought I would finally be able to work on the Cerberus driving skill without having to painfully farm the coop mission that has a Cerberus which I wasn't ever planning to work on the skill that way because it's a ridiculous painful way to advance it. And the PvP Cerberus is out because I don't PvP, ever.

[3] Getting into the Raptor is irritating, I keep jumping into every other seat except for the Driver seat. Also I have to look up into the sky to see the popup text that denotes where you are going to sit. If you can bring that down to eye level that would be great.

[4] At the Bug and Chug mod vendor I see Shotgun Radiation shot converter (no synergy) 3,500$, and the Stalker and Run N Gun variety are 2,500$. This makes no sense, Why would anyone bother spending an extra 1,000$ when they can slot the cheaper ones which will do the same thing even ignoring their synergy bonus.

[5] You removed the small persistent chat window that was useful for seeing small brief messages. Meeting new people just became even more difficult if that was even possible since I'm not going to be running around with the large chat window open.. like... ever. On the off chance you didn't remove the window then take this as a bug report because mine doesn't show chat unless I expand it to take up the whole screen.

[6] Having said I liked the new sword melee above I want to point out a few nit picks about it that I feel could be improved. I know that the traditional melee attack caused one to move forward with each strike, this never bothered me before because quite frankly I almost never used the standard melee attack. However, I kind of want to try to like and use the new sword melee attacks but this forward movement while useful sometimes is also annoying in certain cases, like when trying to destroy mission objects like pheromone mounds, etc. I will attack myself right over and past the object target frequently which is irritating.

I'm not sure how that could be tweaked but I feel it can and should be better. Perhaps the automatic movement forward could be tied to your direction keys, what I mean by that is, if you are pressing "W" while attacking it behaves as it does now, you move forward as you attack, if you are pressing "S", you move backward, if you press no movement key you stand in place and attack, which would be great for attacking stationary objects like the above mentioned pheromone mounds.

My final gripe with the sword is that when attacking my view angle keeps shooting up into the sky, I don't understand why this happens, it appears to be buggy because I really hope this isn't intentional.

The Ugly:

[1] You took away the only scope I liked. The triangular red-ish scope. (The AR Tactical and the Pistol Advanced scopes) I want to be very clear about this. I play the game almost entirely using my favorite Assault Rifle. I cannot stress just how much the removal of the only scope that I liked takes away so much of the fun I have. It is to the point that most of my desire to want to play has gone away. My play style is to use the Assault Rifle and then sprinkle in other weapons as I need based on whatever tactical situation arises, like a grenade toss here, or a few shots of a rocket launcher there, etc. But my bread and butter is my Assault Rifle.

I don't want to sound unreasonable so I will try to adjust myself to the Commando Scope. The New Tactical Scope is just a flat out no. It is just too visually obscuring for me.

Odds and Ends:

The following things don't affect me because I can ignore them if they don't suit me but I felt like commenting on them anyway.

[1] The Raptor seems kind of inferior... quite a bit so. If it was a Yellow School bus then it would all make more sense especially since it's designed to carry you and a bunch of your friends in a vehicle that handles like a potato and is as durable as a tomato.

[2] Volge Battle Rifle Gun MK 1, I just don't get it. Most weapons have their Pros and Cons, this one seems to have nothing going for it. The high damage number at first was eye opening, as well as the extremely low magazine capacity for a "machine gun", but once I used it I didn't see any worthwhile qualities in it that I liked. It felt like a very inferior weapon. To provide a comparison, the weapon that I feel is the weakest up to this point has always been my BMG, but that's fine since it has multiple uses, so when I can kill more efficiently using my BMG versus the Volge LMG I think there's a problem.

If I were to take a stab in the dark about what hurts them the most for my use, it's that they miss far too much because of their slow projectile speed. I don't have anything against slow projectiles when it makes sense, such is the case for rocket launchers, but a machine gun should... I dunno... be more machine gun-ish. In fact, the way this Volge LMG works it would fit into the rocket launcher weapon category much better than the LMG weapon category since it basically spits out energy bombs that do small area damage when they impact.

[3] Charge Weapons in general, neat concept, but I don't find myself liking them personally. This type of attack mechanic isn't a new thing, I've played games that have had attacks with similar mechanics and pretty much in every case I dislike this type of attack mechanic. I'll just be neutral and say it doesn't fit my playstyle. Hopefully other players end up liking them to make them a worthwhile addition to the game.

[4] The new NPCs (Shadow war, Competitive and Coop matchmakers) seem a bit odd. I'm not sure how to describe this but seeing them everywhere makes the locations seem far to cluttered. Couldnt they be unified into a single NPC that divides all three objectives via a menu instead of having to run to a seperate NPC a few yards away for each option? I won't mention the fact that they are kind of redundant since you can do the same thing via your EGO menu without having to physically travel to those NPCs. Personally I only care about the coop dude.

Overall, I just want to state that I don't particularly care what changes you make as long as I can ignore them if they are bad for me. The problem I have is that many of the recent changes you have made I can't simply ignore or say, gee, I don't like it but someone else might and ignore it. It is forced on me whether I like it or not. My one wish would be for you to provide us with the OPTION to customize our interaction with the game.

To be clear, when I say ignore changes made, I'm not talking about balance changes, I'm talking about QoL changes and changes made to the way I interact with the game.

Lastly, if I didn't bother to mention something like for example the new Castithan Race, it's because it didn't make any sort of impact on me and didn't change anything about my enjoyment of the game one way or the other.

Thanks for reading and take anything I say with a grain of salt.
    Excellent post! pretty much nailed it. I also did not like how the small chat window went the way of the doos doos and seriously. There is 4 seats and if you trying to get into it your not attempting anything else so why not have the 4 colored buttons correspond to a different seat? is it THAT hard? Oh I would like to add I do not like my emotes being in the chat window it's just too much a fuss really yot give an emote. I also wish we had a voice setting for original female/male.

BTW curious why is my ego a female regardless of my sex?
    PS4 Tea Realmreaver and Realmreaver 360: was Elric-zwo; Kastíthanu nevitso haryo banggos.

OP,
    Great post. I don't agree with all of it but that's never the important thing. Expressed in a truly responsible and clear manner.

I do think some things are so due to lag. The Raptor for one. They still wanted to give us a 4 person vehicle but for many reasons could not make it as we (and I mean me too) would have liked it. If it had been faster and had a turret then lag would have killed it for everyone. Its current state may do the same as well, but at least the lag it causes won't always force a lot of other people to lag out.

It's one point but one people overlook. If the Raptor were different, it would be used by a heck of a lot of people at every event, including arkfalls and sieges. And it could be used at sieges. I've spawned my ATV at them to test this out and also to get up a hill I couldn't walk up to get some drops. Someone could spawn their Raptor at a siege and just sit using the turret. That might not kill a lot of Volge but it would create lag. And if a lot of people do it, and they would, a lot of other people would be lagged out all the time. Same at arkfalls.

The Volge LMG--I really like it. Not everyone does, but then not everyone likes a lot of other stuff-flares, some love, some hate. I don't like Fraggers much but I don't think they're a mistake to have in the game. I do want to see more Volge weapons.

Charge weapons-I actually like some of them a lot and some not so much--read above, same thing. I've gotten a lot of them but think that there will be more charge versions of the standard weapons we now have-I already have a Surge Heavy I think, Scattergun and a Surge Blaster to go with a Haar Pistol, particle guns, and more. Some purples and some with nanos. It's fun to try these new toys. The Haar Pistol can be surprisingly effective but is not for everything or everyone. I so hope there's a surge or particle flare or even Courier.

The chat thing-yeah, sort of liked the small window being more usable, really wish the online/offline notifications were put into the systems area along with other notifications. I think it was kind of a mistake to put the big window up as the default upon using the left dpad, instead of leaving the quick menu. I'd like that back again. And while people did ask for more vendors that interacted with you and even more characters that give you missions (suggestions for things that could be added to a hub location), I'm not really positive about all the new NPCs standing around for entering PvP, coop, and the like. I prefer the quick menu but why not both? All they'd have to do is have the quick menu options we used to have and then the one for that full window menu.

Inventory. Yeah, might be nice if instead of white-the color used was even bright pink or just something not so close to yellow. I keep mistaking them for new items. But again the whole inventory system needs a better UI with categories (a place for new items as well).

Again, OP, very well thought out and well stated post. Thank you for that.

Great and well thought out post!

SOme great points!

First I just have to echo what is already being said, but this is a refreshing post. Only wanted to add my 2 cents on the charge weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlocke View Post

I didn't care for the shotgun because it didn't seem to be very effective, even in the 2-5m range. Didn't like the sniper rifle because of the recoil. But the pistols have been really cool especially for a cloaky character. With the variant that fires individual shots I can solo most Volge emergencies. I just put some dps down range then cloak up and charge head shots. Most times, 1-2 crits will drop any Volge except the Viscera to its knees. I just got the burst fire variant and I like the model but the recoil is hard to control. I've had my eye on the ones in the Thorn Liro vendor but idk if they're burst fire or single shot. Going to work with the burst fire one a little today to see if it can be cool with a little skill used in handling.
    Razor rain doesn't discriminate...

Quote Originally Posted by Qoh Helethe View Post
    First I just have to echo what is already being said, but this is a refreshing post. Only wanted to add my 2 cents on the charge weapons.

I didn't care for the shotgun because it didn't seem to be very effective, even in the 2-5m range. Didn't like the sniper rifle because of the recoil. But the pistols have been really cool especially for a cloaky character. With the variant that fires individual shots I can solo most Volge emergencies. I just put some dps down range then cloak up and charge head shots. Most times, 1-2 crits will drop any Volge except the Viscera to its knees. I just got the burst fire variant and I like the model but the recoil is hard to control. I've had my eye on the ones in the Thorn Liro vendor but idk if they're burst fire or single shot. Going to work with the burst fire one a little today to see if it can be cool with a little skill used in handling.
    I get a lot of the charge weapons at Dark Matter arkfalls and have gotten them as drops at sieges and at Volge emergencies. It can be helpful to get the drops or rewards and test them before you spend the rep at the vendor. I started with getting white variants and actually am now getting purples.