+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch reflex View Post
    1) you can play with an xbox controller on PC i do. You dont have to set anything up just plug and play for any croosplatform game.
    2) true
    3) you can own both console and PC
    4) not true actually you have more and better options on PC
    5) I own both PC and 360 and they are the same you have to update both when an update comes out Im not sure what you mean.
    6) you can do the same with the PC all new video card have an HDMI outlet to connect to your TV
    7) You can change the resolution to adjust your distance and actually get higher resolution than 1080 on PC. I have mine at 1600 and the difference in quality is very noticible. Playing on PC then going to the 360 xbox feels like going from the 360 to a nintendo 64 (going form 1600 resolution on Pc to 1080 or 720 on the xbox) Even the new consoles are outdated when compared to PC's
    8) ok
    1) Looked for one of those converters for a while and failed so I gave up looking for one. Actually plugging the controller directly into the computer does nothing (or did nothing for me... even installed drivers for it and nothing).
    2) True.
    3) I do own both, but if I want to play Defiance with my girlfriend, I have to have either two PCs or two 360s... one of those is far cheaper than the other.
    4) Ah, what I actually said IS true, but there are MORE chat options on PC. However, it is incredibly easy to play Defiance, see someone and immediately add them to your party chat. Hard to do it that easily on PC.
    5) What I mean is (outside of the actual game) PC has to boot up which typically takes longer than a console. Then you have the computer trying to update Acrobat, DivX, Windows, anti-virus programs, etc. Smell what I am stepping in here? Sure, you can turn all of that off, but still. <---- LAZY
    6) Ha, no, not what I meant. I do have HDMI plugged into my TV. It was more about sitting back and relaxing on the couch and playing. Most people don't have their computers in their living room on their wall mounted TV. Just a comfort thing.
    7) True, but far too lazy. (See 5)
    8) Okay.

1)You dont need a converter its USB and you dont need to install anything(thats if its wired)
    5) If you get sata drive instead of a regular hard drive it will start up faster than even a console

i love that this conversation is happening and no one is stomping off crying. Steam is coming out with it's own little device that can be used to stream games from where ever your pc is in the house to a console-like machine designed to fit in the living room without all the hassle of typing etc. technically it is going to be a pc running a custom linux "steam os" i'm kinda psyched about that. any way, i'm waaaay off topic now, so i'll shhhhh now about that

ACTUAL QUESTION will that proxy slider affect the distance fade at all? i'd like to put my snipers to the test
    beholding all with eyes whose flashes flood
    the veins of their own universe with blood
    -alestair crowley

-- PC NA -- ri7ua1z 23 -- United Legions --

Quote Originally Posted by MurdError23 View Post

ACTUAL QUESTION will that proxy slider affect the distance fade at all? i'd like to put my snipers to the test
    Has zero effect on the draw distance.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Beta Tester -/- NA PC Player -/- CORE Leader -/- Ego Level 5,xxx - Clan Level 3,100 - Winterborn - Now playing ESO & Firefall

Quote Originally Posted by MurdError23 View Post
    i love that this conversation is happening and no one is stomping off crying. Steam is coming out with it's own little device that can be used to stream games from where ever your pc is in the house to a console-like machine designed to fit in the living room without all the hassle of typing etc. technically it is going to be a pc running a custom linux "steam os" i'm kinda psyched about that. any way, i'm waaaay off topic now, so i'll shhhhh now about that

I don't think steam box is a good option because it limits you to steam game. You might as well build a gaming PC and use it like a steam box or console.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibblehouse View Post
    Has anyone tested this setting using a ... "sub par" system like my own?

I can deal with everyone being in the same outfit, its better than them not rendering at all. Arriving at a new arkfall I sometimes have to wait for everything to render, crystal, debris, Mobs, Players. Wondering if the Proxy setting will make this worse, guessing I will be living with the generic outfits, which is fine I am there to shoot stuff, dosent matter so much what other shooters are wearing (to me at least)
    My system is sub-par, and I didn't have any specific issues with the slider maxed. Of course I never saw more than 15 people at the same time, but I doubt it'll have a big impact on performance even with more people. The big bottleneck on last-gen consoles was their amount of RAM: Xbox 360 and PS3 only have 512 MB of it. On the other hand, you'd have a hard time finding a PC with less than 2 GB that could actually run Defiance.

I believe that what the slider does is that it allows the game to use more RAM, in order to store and display more character models. Unless trying to run other memory-heavy programs while playing, even a sub-par system should have some free memory, and hence should be able to display more character models without degrading performance.
    Guide to Weapon Bonus Rolls (partly outdated) | Guide to Weapon Mods | Guide to Scopes and Sights
    HP and Regeneration rate tests | Weapon range tests

Want to know which guns are the best? Check out my weapon tables! (partly outdated)

Sol 3, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm58 View Post
    Don't for a few reasons (probably among the same for a lot):
    1) Girlfriend isn't great with the whole mouse+keyboard thing.
    2) Cheaper to buy a second 360 for her than a second computer.
    3) My friends play via 360, not PC.
    4) Chat sucks on PC so I use Xbox Live chat.
    5) I want to turn on my console and play a game, not wait, do updates, download this, touch that, etc.
    6) Console use, I can easily sit back on my couch and play... or cook food and play from the kitchen...
    7) I use a TV for my monitor, so consoles typically display a little more user-friendly at 6+ feet.
    8) 'Cause I don't wanna and you can't make me! :P
    I was just poking around on here to preview the new update and saw you comment, thought I'd like to +1 that. i also console game, I understand that pc's are superior but i just prefer consoles for gaming just wish that pc gamers understood that,
    plus it IS more expansive to pc game I got my 360 elite for £120

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity Page View Post
    I understand that pc's are superior but i just prefer consoles for gaming just wish that pc gamers understood that,
    *reframes from PC master race rant.

If you want to game on console as opposed to PC more power to you. I'm going to agree with you in the "cheaper" catagory as consoles are usually cheaper indeed, but just remember that you get what you pay for.

Though on topic - I am DEFINITELY enjoying the slider and nice unique outfits on everyone I'm seeing as opposed to the generic ones. Between these bouts where I'm getting kicked off the server every 30-45 minutes or so. Probably the main servers being overloaded by the player base. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity Page View Post
    I was just poking around on here to preview the new update and saw you comment, thought I'd like to +1 that. i also console game, I understand that pc's are superior but i just prefer consoles for gaming just wish that pc gamers understood that,
    Yeah the consoles are cheaper but in the long run pay more money because you have to pay to play online and the same games are normally $10 more on consoles when they release. PC also has thousands of free to play games. So you can just buy a PC and never spend any more money on games by playing free to play games. Some of the games that are free on PC you have to buy on console like blacklight and gothom city imposters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibblehouse View Post
    Has anyone tested this setting using a ... "sub par" system like my own?

I can deal with everyone being in the same outfit, its better than them not rendering at all. Arriving at a new arkfall I sometimes have to wait for everything to render, crystal, debris, Mobs, Players. Wondering if the Proxy setting will make this worse, guessing I will be living with the generic outfits, which is fine I am there to shoot stuff, dosent matter so much what other shooters are wearing (to me at least)
    My system isn't anything spacial and stutters a lot with this game even with a good video card (GTX 650). Maxing out this slider seemed to improve the loading on players much quicker from what I experienced but it still stutters like normal. So no it wont make it any slower from what I have experienced.