+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Character Customization

Beside weapons and skills, how in-depth would the customization in the character creation be? Such as clothing, hair styles, facial features, tattoos, etc.
    Walk with the Arcane

all depends on what business model they go with,
    if they decide to go f2p then there will most likely be alot of cosmetic stuff in the in game shop.

if monthly sub then i would hope a decent kind of character creation tool to begin with

time will tell

Yeh like Jenbuu just said it completely depends on the business model they choose. The RIFT character setup was fairly decent in my opinion so hopefully Defiance will be likewise. An assortment of tattoos for different areas of the body such as chest, arms, legs, possibly even face would also be great, definitely something I'd make use of.
    Lord General Militant of Battlegroup 'INSIDIOUS' or more commonly known as INSIDIOUS
    -----
    Visit us on our website @ http://thedarknesswithin.corplaunch.com on our facebook group <INSIDIOUS> or talk to us on our RaidCall voice, ID 1480007
    -----
    "The further you travel, the darker it gets"

The main thing is that it hopefully would be completely custom, which is expected now a days for AAA games,
    look at the likes of rift, guildwars2 etc they all have the sliders etc,

its just games like swtor which had all the hype then only had preset faces etc,

first step to win people over is to give them the complete customization of the initial character,
    stuff like the tattos, piercing etc would be a good RMT thing but done right,

also the ability to change how the character looks throughout the game is a bonus too,

I'm not too well read into the MMO shooter types, I know from my time in testing that APB had a very insane set of customization which caused so much limitations that the game kinda failed. (imo) I think we should not fully compare Defiance with a RPG MMO because both genre's are very different.

Instead I would look more what the other MMO shooters are doing and expect that sort of customization in the game at the least with hopes for crossovers to the RPG MMO's. One thing that has it going for a big set of character customization tools is that they talk about bringing player characters into the series. Now if we all looked alike this would make casting rather akward

Form all the videos and pics I have seen, we are going to have a lot of different
    stuff to chose from when making our characters. Of course, some of this stuff
    could be stuff we unlock as we go along. I like this long cloak or coat I saw this
    one person's character wearing in a video.

The armor I've seen is probably something you'll get as you level up. Also saw
    a miner outfit, wonder if that means you can look for minerals if you have that
    outfit on?

It looks as thou we can mix and match our look as we go along. Add armor or
    different style of clothes as we either buy them or get them threw leveling. Hopefully
    there will be a few good starting choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    One thing that has it going for a big set of character customization tools is that they talk about bringing player characters into the series. Now if we all looked alike this would make casting rather akward
    I had never thought about that! - That is a very valid reason as to why this game should have an in-depth character customization! I suppose what we can change is yet to be discovered but I think the essential things that it needs are... Colours for many parts of the body (eg. Hair, Skin, Eyes and maybe armour), Varied Hair types, facial customization and accessories such as tattoos, piercings, scars or something included in hair.

I have been lead to believe that the scale of characters will be exactly the same to give a fair pixel perfect shooting experience so I doubt you will be able to customize the height, muscle, fat or anything to make your character less "shootable".
    http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...nimous/sig.jpg
    - Signature Designer - Student - Defiance Wiki Admin - Forum Addict -

Quote Originally Posted by Adsinonimous View Post
    I have been lead to believe that the scale of characters will be exactly the same to give a fair pixel perfect shooting experience so I doubt you will be able to customize the height, muscle, fat or anything to make your character less "shootable".
    I think that is very true, especially since they already took that into consideration for the race selection as well (no big or small races). I am guessing that armor will be customized through the gear you obtain in the game, but a few pre selections during character creation wouldn't hurt aswell.

For some reason I still think that Defiance won't go all out of customization (like for example APB did), I think they would like to do that (like any MMO) but don't have it very high on their priority list so realistically I would expect:
    - Hair: Color (2 tone), pre set styles
    - Head: presets, Nose, Ear, scar
    - Body: skin color, very little other than that, maybe a slider for upper torse.

Now if they add enough hairstyles and face presets and a rich color palette then we can already look pretty unique. Now don't get me wrong more is better but I don't see a lot of the things done in RPGMMO's work in shooter because it giving an edge over others.

I would like to see a full mesh for face structure but in the past the shooters that have tried that ran into performance issues with a lot of people in the zone. Therefore I believe that it won't be a full customizable face.
    New to the community? Introduce yourself
    IRC channel #defiancegame - Personal twitter - DC twitter
    Streaming all my gameplay footage @ my Twitch.TV channel Including none-stop Defiance after launch!

Would like to see slide bars v/s presets when it comes to character customization

any kind of custimization in a game makes it more fun, but i see, for the same reasons eve online dont allow too much detailed customizing, it causing server stress when theres more than a certain amount of players individually customized and slowing dont PC's that barely run on low def mode heh