+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Forum Toxicity Policies

Hi all,

We aim to make the forum experience useful and informative for everyone, for players and developers alike. We need to get accurate information out, and more importantly we need to hear your opinions and feedback. We especially need to hear when you're skeptical, questioning, or in complete disagreement. As long as it's a constructive post, we still value it greatly, and will continue to make improvements based on your feedback.

Beginning last summer, we started experiment in openness in our forums. We did this because we wanted to create an environment where everyone was positive that their voices were being heard. It was a time when some had doubts, and believed our forums were being over-moderated. Our response was to be transparent in the extreme.

In recent months, a number of people have chosen to take advantage of that system. A good many of you have pointed out, via a massively increasing number of reported posts and accounts.

An experiment that began with the best intentions to maximize inclusion now frequently devolves into troll accounts making personal attacks, threats against other players and staff, and posts that provide no value but to invent controversy where none exists.

We now officially spend far more time moderating trolls and negative-value posts by attempting to measure noxiousness with infractions than we do interacting with you in productive ways that improve our games for the communities we value so dearly. It's a rare day, if ever, that our moderators get to spend time doing anything but managing the growing queues of people reporting pure toxicity. That's exactly the opposite of the way things work the best for any of us.

Today, we’re moving forward with a couple of changes to correct that imbalance:
    • Posts that contain threats, attacks, or zero-value trolls will be deleted. They may also result in an immediate and permanent revocation of posting privileges. These will not use a time consuming infraction system. A good guideline to use for tone is: If you wouldn’t want someone walking into your living room speaking the words you’re about to post; it’s best to find another way to say it.

• Users who have previously had their forum access revoked, and create second, third, fourth, fifth...and so on, troll accounts, may now see penalties on their game accounts. (Yes, people really do this.) Those penalties range from suspensions to revocation of game access.

Our goal is to make the forum experience as useful to everyone as possible, both when it's positive and negative, as long as it's constructive, and we hope these changes get us one step closer to that.

We value your contributions and thank you for your patience.

- The Trion Community Team
    Morgana - Community Coordinator

+1

Edit: 1 question, am I a zero value troll? Or a valuable one?

Quote Originally Posted by Amack View Post
    +1

Edit: 1 question, am I a zero value troll? Or a valuable one?
    Wondering the same about myself.

Bravo!

I fully endorse constructive criticisms. It's truly one of the biggest devices involved in change for the better on any subject. We should be coming here to get information and to tell you guys what we find wrong with the game. Whether that be in the form of an opinion or straight facts. However, lately, it's been very detached from that in many ways and I find myself not coming around here as often as I used to. I've also avoided giving some opinions on certain subjects knowing exactly what I was going to get in return.

While I think censorship is generally a bad thing, I believe this is a good move. If some people around here can't be constructively negative, let them suffer the consequences. After all, the forums are a privilege, not a right.
    PC NA characters: Market & Yanna Walkingbear
    XBox NA character retired.

PTS Reviews on Defiance Data!

"You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say."

It is about time, I've been pushing for harsher controls around here for months. I for one hope to see a day when I can come on here and not see the same 5 threads started every few hours, where good threads aren't pushed out by the hundreds of duplicate complain threads, where people who harass others are finally thrown out the door and not welcomed back.

Can you confirm:

If there is a valid thread going and one of the trolls starts in......will the entire thread be closed.....or just the troll post removed from the thread (allowing the good thread to continue)?

Console: X-Box 360 (US/NA)
    GT: Shad0w Andr3as
    Character: Shadow Andreas
    Clan: DAWN PATROL
    Face Book Page: DAWN PATROL

Co-founder of the "DAWN PATROL"...just a few of us that love to run and gun Saturday mornings and any other time we can, throughout Paradise. Come join CRIXDA (other co-founder) and I for some good Defiance conversation and lots of shooting things!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Andreas View Post
    Can you confirm:

If there is a valid thread going and one of the trolls starts in......will the entire thread be closed.....or just the troll post removed from the thread (allowing the good thread to continue)?
    That is an excellent question. I would hope that only the meaningless drivel would be removed and not the substance. I'm sure there are people around here that would devolve a good thread into a train wreck (as has happened too many times to count) just for their own enjoyment.

"You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say."

Quote Originally Posted by Market View Post
    That is an excellent question. I would hope that only the meaningless drivel would be removed and not the substance. I'm sure there are people around here that would devolve a good thread into a train wreck (as has happened too many times to count) just for their own enjoyment.
    Yes there are....and that is why I haven't posted as much lately as I use to. I for one am fine with them getting a bit more strict and cleaning things up.

Console: X-Box 360 (US/NA)
    GT: Shad0w Andr3as
    Character: Shadow Andreas
    Clan: DAWN PATROL
    Face Book Page: DAWN PATROL

Co-founder of the "DAWN PATROL"...just a few of us that love to run and gun Saturday mornings and any other time we can, throughout Paradise. Come join CRIXDA (other co-founder) and I for some good Defiance conversation and lots of shooting things!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Andreas View Post
    Yes there are....and that is why I haven't posted as much lately as I use to. I for one am fine with them getting a bit more strict and cleaning things up.
    Indeed. As I said in my first comment here, I am all for people giving a list of problems with the game as well as their opinions on what they feel should be different. However, if people can't at least be respectful about it, employ some tact, and give useful information, what's the point other than venting frustration. Especially when venting frustration can *still* be civilized.

The above posters, including the OP, are right. Just sayin.