+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    I can very much appreciate appropriate censorship where it is in reference to any communication that is personally demeaning to others (be it part of the staff, or another player). And I think it is always good to protect the dignity of others in general.

However, I personally believe that a good portion of the negativity found in these forums has been generated by the lack of communication from the development team.

When people continue to post about their concerns, especially when it centers around additional purchases of content, and there is no response from the development team, then that leads to negative assumptions and the perception that they are being ignored.

When you use language like "creating controversy where there is none", that to me comes across as a denial that a problem, or problems exist.

Now, you may have been referencing the personal drama and overly hostile remarks made by a few. But, since the development team doesn't communicate with the player base on these forums other then to produce patch notes, I have no idea what you mean.

I can go to any Dev Tracker on the forums of just about any other title I play and find considerable more content then just patch notes and statements of forum policy.

I've only been back playing this game for a couple of weeks (I returned specifically because of DLC 3), so I can't speak to how things were prior to that time.

But the perception that I have now is that the relationship with a sizable portion of the player base and the developers of this game are very strained by a lack of communication.

I learned long ago that one of the quickest ways to damage a relationship is to have the other party feel ignored, or that their perspective is meaningless.

When the development team doesn't simply respond to acknowledge that they are aware of the concern, or have at least read the thread, then 'feeling ignored' is exactly how players feel.

A lot of the toxicity found revolving around certain issues could have been mitigated by someone simply responding with "We're aware of the perception or concern, and we'll revaluate it"

If someone had just done that, you would have found a lot of the player base coming to the reasonable defense of the game.

Again, just take a look at the developer forum postings of just about any other game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Andreas View Post
    Can you confirm:

If there is a valid thread going and one of the trolls starts in......will the entire thread be closed.....or just the troll post removed from the thread (allowing the good thread to continue)?
    If the past repeats itself, we will probably see the whole thing deleted and/or locked down.

These new additions to forum etiquette should have been added a long time ago, other forums do this to keep down on spam/trolls.
    http://forums.defiance.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6099394&dateline=1366  511466
    Processor:AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30GHz Motherboard:AsusTeK M4N98TD EVO Memory:Corsair DDR3 16GB (4X4GB sticks) Graphics:2X NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 2GB in SLI mode OS:Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1

So let's see. We get a CoC revision that results in the moderators ruling with an iron fist and people getting smacked for some minor things while other people get away with things.

Now we get another revision that is pretty much going to make things worse than what they were before.

More moderation is only going to accomplish one thing, it's going to discourage players from speaking their mind because they're going to be afraid to post any kind of negative feedback on the offchance that some moderator will perceive it as "toxic" or "insulting" to trion and start issuing in game bans. Since you're threatening in game bans for multiple accounts it's not out of the realm to expect it for other things.

If you want to address the toxicity on these boards you can start by actually engaging people on these forums and addressing their concerns instead of ignoring them, sweeping them under the rug, or giving lip service meant to placate, not fix things. We've heard the "we'll improve communication" so many times now that it's just static.

How about a road map? how about whoever is in charge giving us a weekly blog post with what's going on, what they want to do, but can't, what they're struggling with and what they need to work on, what they plan to work on or perhaps what their priority list actually looks like because I can bet their priority list needs work.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Beta Tester -/- NA PC Player -/- CORE Leader -/- Ego Level 5,xxx - Clan Level 3,100 - Winterborn - Now playing ESO & Firefall

Quote Originally Posted by Market View Post
    Bravo!

I fully endorse constructive criticisms. It's truly one of the biggest devices involved in change for the better on any subject. We should be coming here to get information and to tell you guys what we find wrong with the game. Whether that be in the form of an opinion or straight facts. However, lately, it's been very detached from that in many ways and I find myself not coming around here as often as I used to. I've also avoided giving some opinions on certain subjects knowing exactly what I was going to get in return.

While I think censorship is generally a bad thing, I believe this is a good move. If some people around here can't be constructively negative, let them suffer the consequences. After all, the forums are a privilege, not a right.
    I was going to write something, but you said it much better! thank you Market - also I would not consider rebtattoo nor Amack trolls at all (although amack kind of lost it in thread w/ironclad & shoogli) I make a point to read both your posts (and 4-5 others) and appreciate your contributions
    PSN: j599kbvvaak IGN's: TASHINKA(founder) - ZombieRahm Tak ZombieKupack Kurr & Sgt Rasta-Insomniac Hunters
    Tash.0 - Members Only
    Purple Dude - is a princess

So ya going to add this to the CoC?
    http://forums.defiance.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6099394&dateline=1366  511466
    Processor:AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30GHz Motherboard:AsusTeK M4N98TD EVO Memory:Corsair DDR3 16GB (4X4GB sticks) Graphics:2X NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 2GB in SLI mode OS:Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1

Quote Originally Posted by TASHINKA View Post
    I was going to write something, but you said it much better! thank you Market - also I would not consider rebtattoo nor Amack trolls at all (although amack kind of lost it in thread w/ironclad & shoogli) I make a point to read both your posts (and 4-5 others) and appreciate your contributions
    Much appreciated! Thanks for the nod!! hehe
    PC NA characters: Market & Yanna Walkingbear
    XBox NA character retired.

PTS Reviews on Defiance Data!

"You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say."

Quote Originally Posted by TASHINKA View Post
    In my defense, that thread you are referring to, was started about 5 mins after the previous one was regarding the very same subject.

I haven't currently got a defense.

However, I promise attempt to keep my trolling at an extreme minimum. I also promise to maintain my stance of not pulling punches and curling into a fetal position on important issues.

Pulled punches aren't what we want: your feedback is important to the devs, and will continue to be.

J3crow, I understand what you mean, and know that improving communication is something we'll be working on once the new guys start-- we're still a few heads short of a full team, right now.

As for keeping a thread open or not if it has blatantly non-productive posts-- it honestly will depend on how far the thread has degenerated. If it would be more work for our mods to clean up the non-constructive responses--and the responses to those responses-- it will get shut down. If there have only been a few, we can work towards keeping them open.
    Morgana - Community Coordinator

The majority of the hate and discontent comes from the game. If the game was running good with few bugs and connection issues the majority of the forum community would defend the game and its parent company (mods and devs).
    The overall feelings of a games forum comunity are a reflection of the game itself, this is true for any game.

There will always be the hate threads around nerfs and changes.
    NA-PSN: MAIXX74
    Main Character:
    Mad Kain "Pale Wars Ronin" created- launch day

A developer is only as good as the last thing they released.
    -Rift- was why i was willing to spend $160 pre-ordering the ultimate edition of Defiance a couple weeks before launch.
    -Defiance- is why i won't buy another Trion title at full price if at all.