+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lockboxes, does it matter which?

i read somewhere that the lockboxes ALL pull from the same item pool. meaning that basically you can get purples no matter which box you get and that the color difference/cost is only because one gives you more items than the next.

the person that went on to describe this in detail was basically really upset after finding this out because they had always been getting the purple boxes when for the same cost as one of those, you can apparently get 16 items from green boxes instead.

can anyone confirm this? i just bought a few green boxes and did indeed not only get blues, but a purple as well (though only a grenade) so i am wondering if they ARE all the same as far as chance to get rares go, the only difference being the amount of items you get per lockbox of if the higher teir/colored boxes have better rates for the rarer items.

ty for any info on this/ i hope it saves people some SC/keys if it is true (seems very possible imo) but i would like to know one way or the other so i know which to select

Yes and no. There is a chance for any item rarity level in each of the lockboxes, however, the drop rate is significantly reduced for the ratio of higher rarity to lower quality lockbox. So while it is theoritically possible to pull an orange or purple from the green lockbox, you would end up spending way more than you would to get one through that method than just getting the higher tier lockbox.

T4's offer the best chance of getting oranges, so if that is what you are after, you should be getting T4's despite the price jump (never use bits - you should be using the in game currency). Personally speaking, being EGO 5000 and pretty much already having my favorite weapons in my loadouts (which are primarily Ark Hunter and/or quest rewards - none of which is orange except for my cluster 'nade), I only buy T3's because they offer the most bang for the buck and anything I pull, except for the rare orange, is immediately vendored.

I lurk in the darkest caves, the deepest oceans, and on the highest mountain peaks.
    In my opinion don't touch any boxes(except 7th Legion and Gunslinger for outfits) until Trion fixes the chances for getting an OJ... Lately after their 'hotfix' for reload animations and arena fixes, very few people have been getting OJs lately... And even if someone get's an OJ, it most of the time is a salvage item...
    Said the Dragon, "Many knights have left their lives here, I shall soon have an end to you, too," and he breathed fire out of seven jaws. -Brothers Grimm
    PSN: Benjamin_Draco (NA servers)
    Defiance Character: Tristran Dracoss
    EGO Rank: 5821
    Current Clan: Infamous
    I don't t-bag, I air-bag

tier 2 boxes.

all in all, i have pulled about 50 orange weapons out of tier two boxes, including two ark shields, and orange saw, and two orange vbi ar's. also pulled 4 orange grenades back to back in tier two boxes.

tier 4 boxes only guarantee you at least blue or better weapons.

i also have very good luck with tier 3 boxes --- and once i pulled two oranges from the same tier 3 box.

but all in all --- i say go with tier 2

also -- one of the above posters said that right now the orange pool is messed up --- but three days ago i pulled an orange rhino regen iv ex out of a tier two box at shondu, and i pulled an orange hurricane v out of a tier two box last night
    gamertag : xILFxLEGION

Atheism is a non-prophet institution.

Quote Originally Posted by xilfxlegion View Post
    tier 2 boxes.

all in all, i have pulled about 50 orange weapons out of tier two boxes, including two ark shields, and orange saw, and two orange vbi ar's. also pulled 4 orange grenades back to back in tier two boxes.

tier 4 boxes only guarantee you at least blue or better weapons.

i also have very good luck with tier 3 boxes --- and once i pulled two oranges from the same tier 3 box.

but all in all --- i say go with tier 2

also -- one of the above posters said that right now the orange pool is messed up --- but three days ago i pulled an orange rhino regen iv ex out of a tier two box at shondu, and i pulled an orange hurricane v out of a tier two box last night
    WOW wish i had that fortune. I hardly get oj's.
    In Game - Elastikspastik
    PC-EU D2050
    Clan - Z Nation
    http://www.youtube.com/user/elastikspastik

Quote Originally Posted by Elastik Spastik View Post
    WOW wish i had that fortune. I hardly get oj's.
    honestly, i think that all opinions on this are going to be anecdotal at best. some people get lucky, some dont.

i did a dark matter major arkfall the other night, start to finish. a friend warped to me to buy a gun from me, fired like two shots at the monolith, and got an orange weapon out of it .

just the way the cookie crumbles i guess
    gamertag : xILFxLEGION

Atheism is a non-prophet institution.

Well, like said above don't use real money to buy lockboxes. Only ingame currency. Ask 100 people and they all give you the same answer. Tier 2 or Tier 3, and which one is all based on personal preference (believe). I pulled a few oranges out of a T3 box, so i kinda like always go for that. But if someone pulled a few from T2 boxes, he should definitely stay with that. Doesnt really matter. T3 gives you more chance per box, but you can buy less for the same amount of keys and scrip.

I think what we all agree on is that Tier 4 boxes are way to expensive for what they offer. Just leave those be.

Quote Originally Posted by Riz View Post
    I think what we all agree on is that Tier 4 boxes are way to expensive for what they offer. Just leave those be.
    No, I bet we all don't agree on this.

Look, all lockboxes are horrible now. Not sure it really matters anymore. But it used to be that T4 boxes gave you the best shot at an orange item, if that is what you were after. Yes they are more expensive, but why do you think that is? Is Trion just messing with everybody? As much as I'd like to believe that, it can't be the case. Prior to all these changes the last few weeks, T4 boxes were the only place I could find an orange. T2 boxes were far too often just green items - T3 was green and blue.

Anyway it's random, so it's luck, you can pull an orange from T2 if you are lucky that's all.

Technicaly you have better probability to pull an orange from T4, but probability is a biitch, as for luck

My belief is all the Boxes have the same chance per item at a Legendary. Its all a matter of how often you want to hit the box, and how much you want back from it...

Also, the only REAL difference in boxes, is T4 boxes have 1 item slot that is More Likely to be a Sword. Thats all.

Ive always stuck with T3 boxes. Its a medium of cost vs items back. I get 9 (+3) normally to Breakdown, vs 4 (+1). But, It also costs me near-full amount of Keys, 72 Keys for 3 T3 boxes vs 64 for 1 T4 box. So, I used to let my Keys build to 72 before buying.

Nothing is more likely to produce a Legendary in boxes. No place, no time of buy, no Tier. Chance is chance, and in Defiance, your chance is stupid-low.
    (360/NA) GT: Chevota 85